• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberals help veterans get the help they need for PTSD.

No, I am not accusing anybody of anything. You have your knowledge and your opinion. ANYTHING can be abused. There is evidence that the military knows and acknowledges that they have not done a good job of encouraging PTSD treatment for those who need it. The long war and repeated tours have increased understanding of the condition. This understanding can have the effect of better treatment as well as being more effective at spotting malingering. Sometimes a person can be too close to the action and not see the overall picture. Are you saying screw the APA studies and the military, only I know what's best?

I see your point. There is a difference between how the military has handled PTSD versus how VA has handled it. The latter has a ton of programs in place.

I hope that doctors will express their concerns about whether the person is malingering. There are a lot of doctors who don't want to say anything negative about someone who has served his/her country, which doesn't help the situation. And there are lots of doctors hired by private attorneys who will say anything the private attorney asks them to say. But I digress.

And there are lots of doctors hired by private attorneys who will say anything the private attorney asks them to say. But I digress.

Glad someone mentioned this. Dueling doctors. Those hired by the private attorneys vs those hired by the system. I'm sure that happens with PTSD just as it does with Social Security Disability. I think every single American wants to help those who suffer debilitating effects from PTSD. It's the slackers that drive us over the edge. *Shaking head here* How are we really to know the difference? It's a huge (unsolvable?) problem.

I saw one GI interviewed on TV a while back. After 2 Iraq tours, he said that when he was back in the states, he would constantly look for IEDs while driving down the road. He'd make himself stop until he started thinking about something else, then he'd be on the lookout again. I don't know if that's PTSD or not, but the poor guy said that it was driving him crazy. Very real. Not fun.

Agreed. Very few people, including me, would deny the existing of PTSD.

Really? Where did you get your information about this? Who says that this diagnosis is "very abused." There are very specific criteria to being diagnosed as having PTSD. Are you aware of that criteria? Sources?

It is a psychological disorder. Not only do you have to observe behavior but judge PTSD based on answers to questions by the individual being diagnosed. Just google the words "fake, diagnosis and PTSD" and you will find some articles. I'll give you another source: common sense. Every damned thing is a disorder these days.

Glad someone mentioned this. Dueling doctors. Those hired by the private attorneys vs those hired by the system. I'm sure that happens with PTSD just as it does with Social Security Disability. I think every single American wants to help those who suffer debilitating effects from PTSD. It's the slackers that drive us over the edge. *Shaking head here* How are we really to know the difference? It's a huge (unsolvable?) problem.

Totally agree! Nicely said, and I'm shaking my head with you. ;)

If they're going to losen the guidelines which will increase the # of cases.
Then they need to increase the number of caseworkers that help these people.

My husband currently has over 50 soldiers at his charge. In the world of caseworker load - that's an EXTREME number. Every day ever soldier must be tagged (either they call him or he calls them) - every week Dr's appointments, other medical, lots of paperwork, more phone calls, therapy, check in's - drop ins (where my husband has to visit them in person) . . . all these things must be done right and on time in order for the program to be efficient.
The average # of charges, when he first took position as a caseworker in his program, was in the low 20's. It's more than doubled in the last few years.

No offense to your husband, but given the hundreds of billions in budget that the military is, they need to get off their collective asses and train more counselors.

I see your point. There is a difference between how the military has handled PTSD versus how VA has handled it. The latter has a ton of programs in place.

I hope that doctors will express their concerns about whether the person is malingering. There are a lot of doctors who don't want to say anything negative about someone who has served his/her country, which doesn't help the situation. And there are lots of doctors hired by private attorneys who will say anything the private attorney asks them to say. But I digress.

Ah, I see too. I think we were talking oranges and onions. :lol:

This is a tough issue. And I believe that it doesn't matter what political doctrine you subscribe to, helping people is helping people. And how do we best help veterans does not have an easy answer.

No offense to your husband, but given the hundreds of billions in budget that the military is, they need to get off their collective asses and train more counselors.

Yep. I agree - he agrees.
The couseling and assistance system and programs are far under staffed and over worked. It's a growing problem. Right now my husband works at least 50 hours a week - and is on call 24/7 for suicide intervention, medical emergencies and legal issues that come up. My husband also has to deal with spouses - mostly wives - who don't know how to help or handle their spouse's ailments and have their own breakdowns and personal issues.

It's extreme stressful for everyone involved - the soldiers, families and caregivers alike.

But training just isn't simple - people have to be able to mentally handle the stress, handle the hours - it's purely a volunteer position, no one's assigned to it.

Back
Top Bottom