• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Liberals are sick!

RightatNYU said:
So wouldn't outlawing abortions make those women happy because their husbands couldnt force them to get them?
Well then, following that logic, why not just go a step further and follow the righteous right agenda and just outlaw sex altogether. Problem solved. Instead of putting the burden on the woman, why not get the guy instead... he wants her to have an abortion, he gets castrated. The solution isn't always to outlaw something, or take away anyone's right to have dominance over their own bodies and their own lives.

clearview said:
Well then, following that logic, why not just go a step further and follow the righteous right agenda and just outlaw sex altogether. Problem solved. Instead of putting the burden on the woman, why not get the guy instead... he wants her to have an abortion, he gets castrated. The solution isn't always to outlaw something, or take away anyone's right to have dominance over their own bodies and their own lives.
Responsible behavior would certain simplify things, wouldn't it?

clearview said:
Well then, following that logic, why not just go a step further and follow the righteous right agenda and just outlaw sex altogether.

I can't really speak for the "righteous right," as I am mostly fairly liberal when it comes down to most issues(except this one :lol: ), but I can say that I think that in today's world promiscuity is a little dangerous, yes? This doesn't mean I want sex to be illegal, I just want sex to be more responsible.

Instead of putting the burden on the woman, why not get the guy instead... he wants her to have an abortion, he gets castrated.

What a strange suggestion... To me the burden is on both parents.

The solution isn't always to outlaw something, or take away anyone's right to have dominance over their own bodies and their own lives.

Their own bodies? What about the developing one inside them? Doesn't that matter? What about that life?

galenrox said:
You know why it's accepted? Cause it's fun, and when I started doing it, I wasn't anywhere close to being mature enough to weigh the possible consequences, and the thought of pregnancy hadn't even crossed my mind, I just wore a rubber cause I didn't know where the girl had been.
And now that you presume you are mature enough to weigh those options, you still conduct these actions. You're being irresponsible still. And your carelessness can lead to dangerous things.
Now my girlfriend of 2 years is on birth control, and we don't want to have a child yet because we have planned out what we want to do before we have kids, for the betterment of our own lives, and the betterment of our future children. We want to finish college, build up some sort of nest egg, buy a home, and have a steady and large enough flow of income to try to make sure that our kids have as good of a life that we could possibly provide.

Those are wonderful plans. I commend you for being responsible in those decisions. BUT, you are taking a risk by having sex. Even with birth control. And if you are still not mature enough to face the consequences of the actions, then don't commit the actions. What is so hard to understand about that?

And yes, if she got pregnant, we have agreed that we would get an abortion so fast that your head will spin, solely because that random lump of cells is better off not coming into existance as a human rather than either ending up in foster care, or being raised by unprepared parents.

Because a child in foster care is so much worse off than a child who is dead? Do not be absurd. Would you say now that a child of five who was in a horrible family situation would be better dead than in foster care? I should hope not.

And you know what, we will continue to have sex, and are really quite indifferent to how you, or anyone else, thinks about it, because you know what? It's not your business. And if we end up needing to get an abortion, we will, still being indifferent to what you, or anyone else thinks, because it's not your business.

Your murdering another person is my bussiness. It only takes one bad ship in the fleet to run the whole fleet off course. And I will do whatever I can to make sure that murder does not go unpunished.

That's something people of your perspective need to hear quite a bit more, IT'S NOT YOUR BUSINESS! You, for some god forsaken reason, think you're on some sort of moral high ground because of decisions you've made based on opinions that you have, while I am positive that you have done things that you would consider mistakes, as have I, but considering, based on this difference in opinion, that we have different beliefs on what is right and wrong, you are in no position to claim moral superiority, nor do I. Do you have any idea how arrogant that is? To think "I have my opinion, and if someone disagrees with me, they're immoral!"? It's just plain ridiculous!

Those who lie inactive while murder is commited in their own backyard is themselves, to an extent guilty. Now, it is interesting that you bring morality into all of this. Because I never mentioned morality. In fact, this is the first the issue of morality has come up, and it was entered by you. I am not calling you immoral. I'll let you and God be your own judge, I do not presume to take that title. As far as doing things I consider mistakes, I do them daily. I am no where near perfect, nor does it seem I ever will be. But, that does not stop me from pointing out foolish actions if they will indeed save lives, as in the case of unprepared sex. And all of that having been said, I do not think it is JUST that a fetus die because of someone elses decision. And THAT is what I have an issue with.

I agree. Responsible behavior would simplify things. Being the parent of two teenagers, teaching it is a full-time job. There are so many people out there who need to be taught, which is my point on the issue. Educate!

Really? Do you have a degree in psychology or psychiatry? If not, just how did you reach this conclusion?
As for a baby fetus talking. Well, that's not exactly what a normal person hears is it?
Speaking as one who had six spontaneous abortions (that's miscarriages for the uninformed) I saw the fetuses and let me tell you, since all they were were white blobs encased in blood clots there wasn't a lot of talking going on.

Oh, and by the way, I don't consider myself a liberal. I consider myself an independent. Of course, for most people who screech and scream and throw mud, Being a female and an independent thinker is a sacrilege ;) . I'm past the age of reproduction (and have had five children) so no one can accuse me of being self serving. I firmly believe that if one is against abortion, they shouldn't have one.

msf said:
Really? Do you have a degree in psychology or psychiatry? If not, just how did you reach this conclusion?
As for a baby fetus talking. Well, that's not exactly what a normal person hears is it?
Speaking as one who had six spontaneous abortions (that's miscarriages for the uninformed) I saw the fetuses and let me tell you, since all they were were white blobs encased in blood clots there wasn't a lot of talking going on.

Oh, and by the way, I don't consider myself a liberal. I consider myself an independent. Of course, for most people who screech and scream and throw mud, Being a female and an independent thinker is a sacrilege ;) . I'm past the age of reproduction (and have had five children) so no one can accuse me of being self serving. I firmly believe that if one is against abortion, they shouldn't have one.

AN INDEPENDENT FEMALE? A THINKER? :shock: :cowboy: :wink:

rwbbutterfly5.gif
msf!

msf said:
I'm sorry, I'm lost. What conclusion are you suggesting one must be a doctor to come to?

Which is why you ought to give it about seven years, then ask it whether it wants to die or not. What do you think?

I'm sorry, but most of us put abortion and miscarriage into seperate categories. Miscarriages are not the choice of the mother, and abortion is only about the woman's physical health less than five percent of the time.

I'm sorry, do you still live in the fifties? Are you still under the impression that all males want women to sit at home and bake cookies for us when we get back from our jobs? What blows my mind about all this is that some women are still absolutely convinced that if someone is against abortion their primary objective in life is to silence the voices of women. And that is simply arrogance. I think a woman's voice is the same as a man's. And just like men, I think women ought to be held responsible for their actions. There is no reason in the world a woman should not be held to the exact same standards as a man. All of that being said, please, do not think you are a diamond in the rought because you are an independent thinking woman. That just makes you one woman out of billions.

Your answers are just about what I expected. As to being one of millions of women who are independent thinkers, you're so right. That's why Roe versus Wade gave us freedom over our own bodies. What is the difference between holding a women captive in her own body and incarceration without just cause? As for the difference between a miscarriage and an abortion, The point was that I saw fetuses in the first trimester and they were not babies.
I thought that even you could figure that out.
Do I believe that abortion should be used as a form of contraception? Of course not! But most anti abortionists are also against the pill, condoms, or any form of protection against an unwanted pregnancy.

What you're really saying is that all females should be virgins until such time as they decide to have a child. Or more to the point their husbands deciding this. That is both unrealistic and chauvinistic.
I, as an American and as a women am responsible for my own actions to myself & my higher power. I have no right to infringe my beliefs and prejudices on another human being, nor should I ask the government to act as ones reproductive police! I notice that my last statement was ignored in your response.
"If one is against abortion one shouldn't have one". That was precisely my point. I would never disallow anyone from having a child. Why then, do you think you or others of your ilk have the right to tell a women she must have one. Have you ever been pregnant? Have you ever been in a position to have to make that decision? Have you ever known the heartbreak one goes through reaching that decision?
You make these outlandish statements based on nothing but your own prejudices. Liberals are sick? I'm sure many of them are. But that's up to their doctors (if it's physical) or psychiatrists(if it's mental or emotional) to decide. Certainly not you, sitting up in your ivory tower telling everyone how to live their lives!
Please don't come back with some sorry rational about crime or such. A women making a decision about her own body and future is quite different than say, those lunatics hitting the twin towers, or husband murdering their wives.
I am not stating that all men want to keep women under lock and key. You have the lock on that black and white thinking, not me.

Finally, I am not pro abortion, I'm pro choice. I feel that only under the most emotional or physical duress is an abortion warranted.

Fantasea said:
Once again you manage to grab the wrong end of the stick. That's not my reference, Florence Nightingale.

Go back to your post #200 to see from whence it came.

Fantasea said:
Your reference to an unborn child as "random lump of cells"

'twas you who, once again, spoke about an "unborn child", thus reducing the whole thing to emotion.

I'm a little young to be Florence.

msf said:
Your answers are just about what I expected. As to being one of millions of women who are independent thinkers, you're so right. That's why Roe versus Wade gave us freedom over our own bodies. What is the difference between holding a women captive in her own body and incarceration without just cause?
No, Roe versus Wade did nothing but give the freedom over destroying your child's body. Although, the problem lies in that you want absolute freedom to do whatever you want with your body, regardless of who else it hurts. And no one should have that right. If I choose to take my hand with a knife in it and run it into someone because they are in my way, then I am going to be charged with murder. The problem is that what these women want to do with "their body" isn't actually doing anything to their body. What they are doing is hurting another soul through what they do to their bodies. If they want to hurt themselves, that is a tragic and unnecessary thing. But it is not necesarly illegal. However, once that child is in your body, you are acting for two.

As for the difference between a miscarriage and an abortion, The point was that I saw fetuses in the first trimester and they were not babies
I thought that even you could figure that out.

Okay, so in other words, because you saw a baby in the first trimester, you out of your expert opinion decided that they were not human therefore have no right to live? That is like me looking at a mentally retarded person and saying they are not human because they don't look like your average person, therefore, they are not a person.
Do I believe that abortion should be used as a form of contraception? Of course not! But most anti abortionists are also against the pill, condoms, or any form of protection against an unwanted pregnancy.

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water here. I am not against any of those, and neither are the vast majority of people I know that I have discussed this matter with. So though that may be your opinion of people who are against abortion, that is not the reality of the situation.

What you're really saying is that all females should be virgins until such time as they decide to have a child. Or more to the point their husbands deciding this. That is both unrealistic and chauvinistic.

I am not saying that. I am saying that they should not commit an action designed by nature to have a consequence that they are not prepared to deal with. If you are not ready to accept the consequences of being burned, then simply do not play with fire. The problem I have is not that so many young people want to have sex, but that they ignore the consequences of that action. They want to be able to commit any act they like without their being any consequence to that action. And that simply is not the way the world is set up. If you are going to have sex, be prepared to deal with a pregnancy. Since I believe abortion is murder, then be prepared to put a child up for an adoption. That is neither unrealistic nor is it chauvanistic. Asking someone to take control of their own actions is not unrealistic and it is not chauvanistic.

I, as an American and as a women am responsible for my own actions to myself & my higher power. I have no right to infringe my beliefs and prejudices on another human being, nor should I ask the government to act as ones reproductive police! I notice that my last statement was ignored in your response.
"If one is against abortion one shouldn't have one". That was precisely my point. I would never disallow anyone from having a child. Why then, do you think you or others of your ilk have the right to tell a women she must have one. Have you ever been pregnant? Have you ever been in a position to have to make that decision? Have you ever known the heartbreak one goes through reaching that decision?

Yes, you are responsible for your own decisions. That is why you should choose wisely the actions before you commit them. And I assure you, I have no desire to infringe my beliefs on other people. You are free to believe in whatever or however you like. But, it is the government's job to protect human life. And THAT, is what needs to come to an end. The deletion of a human life because a woman feels it is her right to do so. It is not a matter of taking rights away from anyone. It is a matter of restoring rights to those without voices. Your comparison of "taking away rights from women" is equivalent to taking away rights of slave owners in freeing slaves.
I personally have part of a pregnancy that was terminated. I watched as she was influenced by her mother to have the abortion. I watched as she later tore herself apart out of regret that she had had the abortion. I personally felt the heartbreak of knowing that my child, a child that I wanted to take care of, was taken away from me to hide from the shame of an unnexcepting world. Do not preach to me about all of this. I have been through all of it. And you have no idea how much I wish that decision had been different. How much we both regret what we did at that young age. You have no idea how highly I respect a friend of mine who, despite the social and stressful consequences has decided to keep her child with her one-day-old husband, despite the fact that she is still in school and her family is strict southern bapstists who dissaprove of pre-marital sex. She has chosen a path that I wish my ex and I had the courage and the responsibilty to do.

You make these outlandish statements based on nothing but your own prejudices. Liberals are sick? I'm sure many of them are. But that's up to their doctors (if it's physical) or psychiatrists(if it's mental or emotional) to decide. Certainly not you, sitting up in your ivory tower telling everyone how to live their lives!
To be prejudice one must be unaware of the facts. That I am not. And I have personally never said a liberal is sick. I agree with you in that some are but most are not. In fact, I, in many circles, am quite liberal in a great number of my beliefs. And I certainly have never begun to tell anyone how to live their lives. I know where my place is, and I continue in it. However, to suggest that I have no right to tell someone that they have no right to murder someone else... to tell me that my voice doesn't matter when it comes to what should or should not be done to another human being, in that case you are wrong. My voice is just as important as yours. I do indeed have the right and calling to speak out against human injustice, and that is what I am doing in this matter.

Please don't come back with some sorry rational about crime or such. A women making a decision about her own body and future is quite different than say, those lunatics hitting the twin towers, or husband murdering their wives.
It is, as long as it is just her body she is affecting. But the reality is she is not just affecting her body and future, but the body and future of a child as well. And that is where the problem comes. The problem with this selfish line of thinking is that no one lives as an island. Your choices to your body affect everyone around you. And so to say that whatever you want to do with your body and your life is yours to decide without any consequence outside of that, is foolishness.

I am not stating that all men want to keep women under lock and key. You have the lock on that black and white thinking, not me.
I do believe that some things are in black and white. Some things are as easy as right or wrong. I do not believe that abortion is always one of them. I do believe that there are perhaps appropriate times for an abortion (especially in the case of the life and health of a mother), but that makes up less than 5 percent of abortions. That should be the rule, not the exception. But to the contrary, in your feministic agenda, you do make this into a suppression issue, and that is false logic, because at least half of the aborted fetuses are female as well. So really, you have females killing females. I personally can't think of anything more suppresive than killing someone.

Finally, I am not pro abortion, I'm pro choice. I feel that only under the most emotional or physical duress is an abortion warranted.
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe you. That is the same as saying that birth control is only used under emotional and physical duress, and that is simply not true. Women get abortions when they simply don't feel like dealing with a child at that point in time. That is unexcusable.

Ahh...at last we get to the nitty gritty of it all. You had an experience that has left you feeling bitter and helpless. I understand that. However, not every women is your girlfriend and not every mother is her mother. I have a daughter who became pregnant out of wedlock. I gave her three choices and thank GOD she chose the right one. because of that I have a beautiful granddaughter who is extremely bright and when she gets out of college, should have a bright & fulfilling future.
I probably would be more open to your ideas if I haven't seen with my own eyes the rabidness of some of the anti-abortionists. They feel it's totally all right to murder doctors, bomb clinics which lead to the maiming and deaths of employees, and put out wanted posters for doctors with their home address and where their children go to school, then scream about murder.
I can tell you this. In 99 cases out of a hundred, once a women feels life (usually in the fourth month) her choices become more painful. I do believe that there should be some cut off point in a pregnancy where it should be continued to term. However, having said that, the same president that puts so much emphasis on not having an abortion has cut services to clinics for unwed mothers and welfare to new mothers and their babies. It's oh, OK your going to have the child. Then goodbye, your on your own.
Oh, by the way, if my granddaughter ever got pregnant, I would back her decision, whatever it was 100%. She is a caring intelligent person and would never make any decision without first carefully looking at all her options.
I think that the problem with our communications is that I'm looking at the issue with an objective point of view and you're making this your personal crusade. Good luck with it. I hope you find some tolerance some day.

msf said:
Ahh...at last we get to the nitty gritty of it all. You had an experience that has left you feeling bitter and helpless.

To the contrary I have always been against abortion. I have always considered it murder, and have always stood by the notion that there are so many alternatives, and it is unnecessary. The fact that it happened to us only gives me more reason to have a voice on this matter. I am not some high and mighty bystander who thinks he can control the future of women. I am a father who lost his child to this, and feels that through that, I have a calling to ensure that other parents, mothers and fathers like myself, are not allowed to get rid of their own children.
I understand that. However, not every women is your girlfriend and not every mother is her mother. I have a daughter who became pregnant out of wedlock. I gave her three choices and thank GOD she chose the right one. because of that I have a beautiful granddaughter who is extremely bright and when she gets out of college, should have a bright & fulfilling future.
I probably would be more open to your ideas if I haven't seen with my own eyes the rabidness of some of the anti-abortionists. They feel it's totally all right to murder doctors, bomb clinics which lead to the maiming and deaths of employees, and put out wanted posters for doctors with their home address and where their children go to school, then scream about murder.
Hatred is not justified in these cases. Yes, there are horrible people who are against abortion. But that is not the case of the majority. The reality of this is that we are against abortion because it is murder. And murdering or harming others does not solve that. Rather, we seek to save lives of children through litegation. I am not against women. I am not against doctors. I am against the murder of a child. And that is what should be punishable. Just because there are a select few who are radicals, who wish to destroy those who oppose them, is not a good enough reason to choose to support a choice that no person, not man or woman, should ever be given to begin with, without having legal repricusions.
I can tell you this. In 99 cases out of a hundred, once a women feels life (usually in the fourth month) her choices become more painful. I do believe that there should be some cut off point in a pregnancy where it should be continued to term. However, having said that, the same president that puts so much emphasis on not having an abortion has cut services to clinics for unwed mothers and welfare to new mothers and their babies. It's oh, OK your going to have the child. Then goodbye, your on your own.

Once again another issue in which I am strongly opposed to the actions of Bush. He IS acting against the welfare of mothers, and that is as inexcusable as abortion is. I personally am willing to offer as much aid to mothers as they need. I cannot think of a single better place for money to go.

Oh, by the way, if my granddaughter ever got pregnant, I would back her decision, whatever it was 100%. She is a caring intelligent person and would never make any decision without first carefully looking at all her options.

Perhaps she is and I hope she does. But the problem is that a large percentage of Americans are not so intellegent and do not make careful decisions, weighing the goods and bads. That is why we have laws that prohibit drug use and seat belt laws and laws regarding the mistreatment and/or neglect of children and animals. We are not a concerned people. And therefore, many of us need laws to keep us from killing ourselves and others through our decisions. Your granddaughter may be able to act in the best interest of herself and others, but a large enough percentage of Americans are obviously not.

I think that the problem with our communications is that I'm looking at the issue with an objective point of view and you're making this your personal crusade. Good luck with it. I hope you find some tolerance some day.
No, you're not looking at it in an objective point of view. You have an opinion just as I have an opinion. The one thing that seperates us is that I have been through this and you have not. Funny how your tune changes from me having no say in the matter to me being on a personal vendetta. So really, there is no middle ground, except for yours in this argument... what an incredibly convinient logical method for you. The irony is that you end it on wishing me to find tolerance. That is the equivalent of me asking you to someday have the tolerance to accept that a murderer should be let free. Do not begin to take a wiser, more loving road than me, because that is certainly not your path. Your path is one of irresponsibility and death, and that is not a higher road.

msf said:
Why would you let a few bad apples spoil the entire barrel for you?

Every movement has its radicals who are anathema to the group at large. These exceptional zealots and the publicity they engender do nothing but harm to the cause they claim to champion.

Think of the principles involved. As you know, at risk is a human life, a child, a baby. Do not permit a small number of misguided people to distort your view.

clearview said:
I agree. Responsible behavior would simplify things. Being the parent of two teenagers, teaching it is a full-time job. There are so many people out there who need to be taught, which is my point on the issue. Educate!
The regret is that the time tested and proven teachings of respect, obedience, and discipline are currently politically incorrect.

Political correctness comes with a steep price.

msf said:
I firmly believe that if one is against abortion, they shouldn't have one.
:wcm

So then, if a child makes known its presence in the womb at an inopportune time, snuffing its life OK with you?

Last edited:
msf said:
As far as the child is concerned, the choices are life or death. Since the child is already living, the only alternative is death.

While the term Pro-Choice, which was altered from the original sinister sounding, Pro-Abortion, may sound rather innocuous, it is totally incorrect.

The correct terms are Pro-Life and Pro-Death.

By the way, would you mind providing a few examples of "the most emotional or physical duress"?

Fantasea said:
As far as the child is concerned, the choices are life or death. Since the child is already living, the only alternative is death.

While the term Pro-Choice, which was altered from the original sinister sounding, Pro-Abortion, may sound rather innocuous, it is totally incorrect.

The correct terms are Pro-Life and Pro-Death.

By the way, would you mind providing a few examples of "the most emotional or physical duress"?

As far as the child is concerned, he can't comprehend the choice, nor does he have any say in the matter.

For the mom the choices are life or death. :2razz:

msf said:
I hope you find some tolerance some day.
If the original story put forth by the abortion advocates was truly what was in their hearts, perhaps there could be room for a bit of tolerance. You know, legal abortions are needed as an alternative to the back alley butchers for women who are the victims of rape or incest; and to save the life of a mother in danger of death from the complications of childbirth. Abortions should be safe and rare. That was the emotional plea.

However, as the toll of aborted lives continues in the US at the rate of a million and a half a year, with the total rapidly approaching fifty million, how can there be room to tolerate what has become an abomination?

Do you realize that the number of children aborted every year exceeds the total of battle deaths in all the US wars from the Revolution to this very day? That's every year.

Is this something that must be tolerated?

Bluefire said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

The correct terms are Pro-Life and Pro-Death. By the way, would you mind providing a few examples of "the most emotional or physical duress"?
As far as the child is concerned, he can't comprehend the choice, nor does he have any say in the matter.

For the mom the choices are life or death.
Your point being?

sebastiansdreams said:
I personally have part of a pregnancy that was terminated. I watched as she was influenced by her mother to have the abortion. I watched as she later tore herself apart out of regret that she had had the abortion. I personally felt the heartbreak of knowing that my child, a child that I wanted to take care of, was taken away from me to hide from the shame of an unnexcepting world. Do not preach to me about all of this. I have been through all of it. And you have no idea how much I wish that decision had been different. How much we both regret what we did at that young age. You have no idea how highly I respect a friend of mine who, despite the social and stressful consequences has decided to keep her child with her one-day-old husband, despite the fact that she is still in school and her family is strict southern bapstists who dissaprove of pre-marital sex. She has chosen a path that I wish my ex and I had the courage and the responsibilty to do.

So, you're a murderer? Have you asked to be punished by imprisonment or death? Have you asked that your ex be punished by imprisonment or death?

Back
Top Bottom