• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberals again show their hate and dedain for our military..

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Why do Liberaal hate our military...Why do they want to cut benefits earned from the men protecting us....Just another example:

TOM PHILPOTT | Debt Panel Told to Leave Military, Vet Benefits Alone » Kitsap Sun

Read more: TOM PHILPOTT | Debt Panel Told to Leave Military, Vet Benefits Alone » Kitsap Sun

Advocates for military retirees and veterans urged a bipartisan commission studying ways to end runaway budget deficits not to lump military-earned benefits in with other entitlements eyed for cost controls.

“There’s a fundamental difference between social insurance programs open to every American and military benefits earned by decades of service and sacrifice,” Steve Strobridge, director of government relations for the Military Officers Association of America, told the commission.

Carl Blake, legislative director for Paralyzed Veterans of America, conceded the country “faces a very harsh reality” of rapid federal spending growth that “appears unsustainable. And yet PVA is here today to emphasize why continued growth in federal spending for (veterans) is imperative.”

Not every witness was keen on maintaining the status quo for military retirees or veterans. Will Marshall, president of the Progressive Policy Institute, in his written statement said “no program should be exempted from new constraints of fiscal discipline, including defense.” He referred to Congressional Budget Office options that included higher “military health care premiums and deductibles” that would save $6 billion to $8 billion annually.

Why do Liberaal hate our military...Why do they want to cut benefits earned from the men protecting us....

Were our Government to quit funding "studies of male prostitutes in Ho Chi Min City" or the building of auto plants in Finland, Health care for those that could work, but won't, education and health care for illegal aliens, and the list could go on, and on, and on.....there would be sufficient funding to provide the PROMISED benefits to our veterans.

From my view point the dumacrats are more intent on creating "more voters" by giving our tax dollars to the useless....then they are about creating more jobs, thus more taxpayers...

Good post Navy Pride....H

Last edited:
Is that the best you can do....hmmmm, must be a liberal!

i am a liberal, yet i do not hate any military, my own nations or americas, thus making ol' navy's generalisation bull****, and in an odd occurrence, i agree with him, military benefits should not be cut.

at least liberals can spell disdain. :2razz:
It's "distain." Sorry, just couldn't resist. :Oopsie

As to your post, if we're to fix run-away spending...I mean REALLY FIX IT...no program can be sacrosanct. There isn't one social/entitlement/pension program in our country that doesn't need a complete overhaul.

"STOP THE SPENDING. JUST DON'T GORE MY OX." We've simply got to change that mindset.

It's "distain." Sorry, just couldn't resist. :Oopsie

actually its not, distain means to change the colour of something.

As to your post, if we're to fix run-away spending...I mean REALLY FIX IT...no program can be sacrosanct. There isn't one social/entitlement/pension program in our country that doesn't need a complete overhaul.

"STOP THE SPENDING. JUST DON'T GORE MY OX." We've simply got to change that mindset.

it could be more efficient, but simply cutting the benefits isn't going to do a damn thing, and they are relied upon by people who've served their country.

I must have missed something. Where does it say anyone's cutting anyone's benefit? I guess my mom's not alone. She worries they're going to cut her Social Security benefit. Ridiculous. That's never going to happen. So if YOU'RE collecting vet benefits right now, you needn't worry. Nobody's touching yours. That's not how reform works. If you are a vet, Spud, please accept my sincere thanks for your service.

actually its not, distain means to change the colour of something.

I remember how my eighth grade English teacher was always hammering home the point that if you really wanted to learn the meaning of a word, you needed to use it in a sentence.

""What IS dis stain I see here on by blue dress" said Monica.

Such Conflict of Hypocrisies here . . . It's almost humerous if it weren't so damning.

Clinton was the last president able to work with Congress to produce budget surpluses. Since then, deficits have soared to levels not seen since the end of World War II, the result of Bush tax cuts, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the financial crisis, economic stimulus spending to address the crisis and largely unrestrained spending by Democrats and Republicans who continue to use budget spending to ensure their reelection.

Bowles said the commission sought any ideas that might support the president’s goal of ending deficit spending, except for interest payments on the rising national debt, by the year 2015. Meeting that target will require finding $250 billion in deficit savings for just that budget year alone.

“President Obama made it clear that no one should be surprised next year when he brings forward recommendations that have real budget cuts in them,” Bowles said. “I expect we will make those recommendations to him [to] reduce the cost of entitlements and help restore our nation’s long-term fiscal strength.”

How can Obama - on one hand - fully shove through and continue to support programs and measures that only expand the deficit?
Then tries to get us to believe he actually WANTS real budget cuts.

But over here he says:

Rep. Mike McMahon (D-N.Y.) co-authored a letter with Rep. Bobby Bright (D-Ala.) in January asking Obama to include in his budget request to Congress an extension of all of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for two years. Obama did not honor their request, much to McMahon’s chagrin.

So what the **** is it?

Does the president WANT to get HIS spending under control or does he NOT want to get it under control?

He's like a fat foodie saying "Oh yeah, I want to lose weight, I sure do!" while stuffing handfuls of cookies into her a mouth, sitting on her ass.

Hey Navy, did you read the article you linked? I mean beyond the headline? Let's look at some excerpts:

More than 90 “public comment” witnesses were invited to appear June 30 before the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. They came from a variety of interest groups and think tanks, liberal and conservative. Many were economists and policy experts but private citizens also testified. Each got four minutes unless their comments sparked a dialogue with commissioners. Most of the focus was on controlling Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security costs, and whether and how to raise taxes.

Bipartisan panel, looking at how to control the deficit, and asking for the opinion of experts and average citizens. Wow, that sure does sound like it hates the troops! Oh wait, no it doesn't. It sounds like it hates the deficit. Why do you love deficit spending so much Navy?

The panel was put in place by Obama "to identify...policies to improve the fiscal situation in the medium term and to achieve fiscal sustainability over the long run"(National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), so again, the question begs to be asked, why do you hate fiscal responsibility?

The panel is made up of 9 republicans and 9 democrats. So much for blaming things on liberals. Darn it, don'tcha hate when facts get in the way of a good rant?

Sorry Navy, but your whole rant failed, and failed miserably. Stating that, in order to cut the deficit, no program should be exempt is not somehow "hating the troops", it is simply reality. DoD spending for fiscal 2010 was 663 billion. It is not hating the military to say that this has to come down some as part of spending control to reduce the deficit.

@ Redress -- for a Pro-Homosexual Bigot, you do pretty well. :lol: Nice post.

Such Conflict of Hypocrisies here . . . It's almost humerous if it weren't so damning.

How can Obama - on one hand - fully shove through and continue to support programs and measures that only expand the deficit?
Then tries to get us to believe he actually WANTS real budget cuts.

But over here he says:

So what the **** is it?

Does the president WANT to get HIS spending under control or does he NOT want to get it under control?

He's like a fat foodie saying "Oh yeah, I want to lose weight, I sure do!" while stuffing handfuls of cookies into her a mouth, sitting on her ass.

Stimulus spending is to stimulate the economy, to quicker return it to growth, which increases revenue for the government at some point. In a perfect world of balanced budgets, spending heavily during economic recession is no big deal, and you quickly get back to balance. What happened though is Bush ran up the deficit again, so when the meltdown happened and the recession hit, the big spending by Bush and Obama was on top of already huge deficits.

We are (hopefully) starting to recover, and now we have to shift focus from getting out of the recession, and into reducing/getting rid of the debt. This is not hypocrisy, it's the proper order of things. Fix the big problem with the economy, then fix the long term problem.

I am not sure what your problem with the tax thing is, since by letting the tax cuts for high end earners expire, it would raise government revenue, ie it would reduce the deficit.

Why do Liberaal hate our military...Why do they want to cut benefits earned from the men protecting us....Just another example:

TOM PHILPOTT | Debt Panel Told to Leave Military, Vet Benefits Alone » Kitsap Sun

Read more: TOM PHILPOTT | Debt Panel Told to Leave Military, Vet Benefits Alone » Kitsap Sun

Advocates for military retirees and veterans urged a bipartisan commission studying ways to end runaway budget deficits not to lump military-earned benefits in with other entitlements eyed for cost controls.

“There’s a fundamental difference between social insurance programs open to every American and military benefits earned by decades of service and sacrifice,” Steve Strobridge, director of government relations for the Military Officers Association of America, told the commission.

Carl Blake, legislative director for Paralyzed Veterans of America, conceded the country “faces a very harsh reality” of rapid federal spending growth that “appears unsustainable. And yet PVA is here today to emphasize why continued growth in federal spending for (veterans) is imperative.”

Not every witness was keen on maintaining the status quo for military retirees or veterans. Will Marshall, president of the Progressive Policy Institute, in his written statement said “no program should be exempted from new constraints of fiscal discipline, including defense.” He referred to Congressional Budget Office options that included higher “military health care premiums and deductibles” that would save $6 billion to $8 billion annually.

Seems a bit melodramatic to get your panties all in a bunch on this one, Navy. This is an article about a hearing. It talks about who was there and what was discussed.

A good hearing is going to bring all points of view to a table. Certainly given the state of our nation's financial affairs, those that advocate of fiscal responsibility (which you are one) would view such a hearing a complete sham if the committee did not fully diligence the idea of no increases or cuts. Just because it took witnesses advocated 'Yeah" and "Nay" does not mean the "Yeah" or "Nay" policy will be pursued.

I am sure you can find many examples to advocate your proposition that "the liberals hate the military (even if not true), this is just a very poor piece of evidence to support such a proposition.

As another poster pointed out, people that want to only cut programs they do not like and want to protect dollar one from being cut from programs they do like.... are not serious about cutting spending.

I must have missed something. Where does it say anyone's cutting anyone's benefit? I guess my mom's not alone. She worries they're going to cut her Social Security benefit. Ridiculous. That's never going to happen. So if YOU'RE collecting vet benefits right now, you needn't worry. Nobody's touching yours. That's not how reform works. If you are a vet, Spud, please accept my sincere thanks for your service.

Lady with all respect you know not what you talk about...Liberals and democrats are constantly trying to cut military benefits.........Free health care comes to mind if you make the military a career..........Clinton and his administration took it away...........

Seems a bit melodramatic to get your panties all in a bunch on this one, Navy. This is an article about a hearing. It talks about who was there and what was discussed.

A good hearing is going to bring all points of view to a table. Certainly given the state of our nation's financial affairs, those that advocate of fiscal responsibility (which you are one) would view such a hearing a complete sham if the committee did not fully diligence the idea of no increases or cuts. Just because it took witnesses advocated 'Yeah" and "Nay" does not mean the "Yeah" or "Nay" policy will be pursued.

I am sure you can find many examples to advocate your proposition that "the liberals hate the military (even if not true), this is just a very poor piece of evidence to support such a proposition.

As another poster pointed out, people that want to only cut programs they do not like and want to protect dollar one from being cut from programs they do like.... are not serious about cutting spending.

Liberals like you said the same thing about free health care for members who made a career out of the military and we know what happened there..........

If you're in the business of getting shot at on behalf of the United States of America, the same health care that is made available to the people who have the power to declare war should be made available to you.

Lady with all respect you know not what you talk about...Liberals and democrats are constantly trying to cut military benefits.........Free health care comes to mind if you make the military a career..........Clinton and his administration took it away...........
I was referencing that particular article, Navy Pride. It was a focus group of sorts. Do you mean to tell me that as an active member of our military, people don't get free healthcare?? Link please -- I find that very hard to believe. Now, if you're talking about their family members, that's a different story. That I believe. Where would you have it end? Or maybe you'd never have it end.

Here's what I know. My partner is a Viet Nam vet. He was drafted and in the service for four years. He goes to Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL (suburban Chicago). He pays sooo little for his healthcare. And it's the best. It's attached to Loyola University Center, a teaching hospital. The staff is amazing. The faciities are amazing. He was in the hospital and paid $220. He pays $9 for a prescription. $15 for an doctor visit or emergency room visit. Do we really need benefits greater than that for four years' service? Would you have him pay nothing at all? He's proud of the benefits he's earned. He doesn't complain they're not free.

Last edited:
I was referencing that particular article, Navy Pride. It was a focus group of sorts. Do you mean to tell me that as an active member of our military, people don't get free healthcare?? Link please -- I find that very hard to believe. Now, if you're talking about their family members, that's a different story. That I believe. Where would you have it end? Or maybe you'd never have it end.

Here's what I know. My partner is a Viet Nam vet. He was drafted and in the service for four years. He goes to Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, IL (suburban Chicago). He pays sooo little for his healthcare. And it's the best. It's attached to Loyola University Center, a teaching hospital. The staff is amazing. The faciities are amazing. He was in the hospital and paid $220. He pays $9 for a prescription. $15 for an doctor visit or emergency room visit. Do we really need benefits greater than that for four years' service? Would you have him pay nothing at all? He's proud of the benefits he's earned. He doesn't complain they're not free.

Military retirees pay for their health care in a program called TRICARE until the age of 65 and then they pay they come under MEDICARE and pay the standard premiums for it....It did not use to be that way un til the dems got in in the early nineties....Liberals are constantly looking for ways to stick it to the military...We have to be constantly on our guard.........

Military retirees pay for their health care in a program called TRICARE until the age of 65 and then they pay they come under MEDICARE and pay the standard premiums for it....It did not use to be that way un til the dems got in in the early nineties....Liberals are constantly looking for ways to stick it to the military...We have to be constantly on our guard.........

Do we have to constantly link articles that don't say what we claim, and make everything an overblown us vs them hysteria contest?

I just looked up TriCare -- For TriCare Prime (the best), the annual enrollment fee is $230 for an individual or $460 for a family. There are no other premiums for this coverage. It's excellent. Your TRICARE Benefits Explained - Military Benefits - Military.com

Please do not complain about this fine coverage. I pay $630/month for my individual plan through the State of Illinois ICHIP plan. Although I didn't serve in the military, I'm a living, breathing human being who can say she's made a number of fine contributions to the world we live in.

Look, everybody's got to sacrifice. Everything is going to have to change...or we're soooooo skrood.
That it

Its really a question of broken promises...When I joined the Navy I was told that if I made it a career I would have free benefits for life...That benefit was huge the first time I reenlisted because I realized what a good benefit it would be....I am not sure I would have reenlisted without it......As I said prior to 65 I paid the TRICARE premiums for me and my wife........When I turned 65 I picked up the MEDICARE premiums....I don't care how much they are they are not free and that is what we were promised..........

I go to a Naval Hospital and my doctor is a 4 stripper (a captain) Our care is good....The Navy takes care of its own....I have no complaint about that.........

@ Navy Pride --Broken promises I can understand and relate to. It's something we're all getting pretty used to dealing with...with many more to come, I'm afraid. I thank you most sincerely for your service. I hope this broken promise hasn't colored your life in a negative way.

I just looked up TriCare -- For TriCare Prime (the best), the annual enrollment fee is $230 for an individual or $460 for a family. There are no other premiums for this coverage. It's excellent. Your TRICARE Benefits Explained - Military Benefits - Military.com

Please do not complain about this fine coverage. I pay $630/month for my individual plan through the State of Illinois ICHIP plan. Although I didn't serve in the military, I'm a living, breathing human being who can say she's made a number of fine contributions to the world we live in.

Look, everybody's got to sacrifice. Everything is going to have to change...or we're soooooo skrood.

That it

You just fon't get it do you...........What part of a promise of FREE do you not understand?......I now pay close to $200. dollars a month for me and my wife for medicare..............

Back
Top Bottom