• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberalism vs. Biblical Christianity [W:463]

Only Martin Luther? Writing this as a response to my question shows that you know little of the diversity of your claimed religion.

Don't be so arrogant. Martin Luther is one that everybody knows.

Has anybody on this thread bothered to define "Biblical Christianity"? I thought about starting a new thread asking people to define the term but decided, "Nah, not worth the effort."

Quickest way to find that there is no single definition is by doing the google, just type in the box - What is Biblical Christianity? The first page alone will show the rational that there is no single acceptable definition or understanding. Google will provide you with "approximately 54,000,000 results"

My point being -- if those who call themselves Christian fail to agree on who they are, how can anyone even begin to accept their words?

Even if all denominations agreed on everything, you wouldn't accept it anyway, would you? So why do you ask?

Christ is the Risen Savior for the remission of sins, and those who believe in him will have eternal life. That's the main point most agree on.

And don't think the evolutionists all agree on everything either. Should we then ask how anyone can accept their words? So back at you.

Even if all denominations agreed on everything, you wouldn't accept it anyway, would you? So why do you ask?

Christ is the Risen Savior for the remission of sins, and those who believe in him will have eternal life. That's the main point most agree on.

And don't think the evolutionists all agree on everything either. Should we then ask how anyone can accept their words? So back at you.
The bold leaves me wondering why people cannot just accept that as metaphor, omitting all the hocus pocus bull****. It actually is a cool enough story without the need to add in all the impossible to believe supernatural crap.

Saw this in an email, and I tend to agree with it:

"The principal reason people are liberals is because they kicked God and his Word to the curb in favor of their political correctness and subjective moral relativism."

And if or when you do come across and converse with liberal 'Christians,' they'll tend to argue one or more of the following falsehoods,

1. Jesus isn't God. Nor is the Holy Spirit.
2. Gay marriage is fine with God, because it's two people in love, and God loves people who love.
3. There is no sin.
4. People don't need to repent because God already loves us.
5. There is no Hell, or, everybody goes to heaven.
6. Christianity is just one of many ways to God.
7. "That's your truth."
8. All truths are relative.
9. Jesus was just an itinerate preacher, and a good person - nothing more.
10. We are all God's children (note John 8:44 for another view on that).
11. All people are inherently "good".
12. There's nothing wrong in a relationship with "consenting adults." (Therefore adultery must be okay also).
13. Abortion is okay. God will understand.

And that's the short list. Each one of those is a lie, according to the Bible. Which reinforces the statement in bold above. Anyone who thinks otherwise is asked to pick one of those 12 and try to defend it. Or they can come up with something else.

Finally, "Was Jesus a Liberal?" - https://righterreport.com/2016/05/31/was-jesus-a-liberal-2/

p.s. This isn't a thread to debate who wrote the Bible or whether it's the Word of God. Save those for another thread.

1. The question of the divinity of Jesus was not "settled" for hundreds of years and eventually only under the threat of death. This debate was the followed by an equally contentious one about the nature of the Holy Spirit.

2. Much of the condemnation of homosexuality in the Bible is debatable depending on how the original greek and hebrew are translated. Some of it is part of works that are thought by scholars to be forgeries. Homosexuality was widely practiced during the time of the Bible and continued to be afterwards.

3. Never heard anyone say this.

4. Well thats dumb.

5. Haven't heard that one

6. Then they are a pantheist, not a Christian

7. Stupid

8. All truths arent relative. The truth of the way we speak about them may be relative but there is still one truth.

9. He probably was

10. You hear that every day in a lot of Sunday schools.

11. Most of us are inherently complicit to social standards so to some extend that is true depending on your definition of Good

12. Adultery probably isn't okay with the spouse its being hid from.

13. Doubtful

14. There is no God. The Bible is an amalgam of works written over hundreds of years, translated poorly and to suit people's agendas (like crushing the Pagans who practiced homosexuality openly), or were outright forgeries. You may be right about what has been Christian doctrine for recent history, but Christianity has changed before and will change again. See the Protestant reformation. Don't be a douche about it.

What believers fail to understand is belief itself and how it works. You can't decide to believe something and belief can't be prescribed by some outside force. Also, there is really nothing about reality that compels us to even consider belief in gods or spirits as something we need to consider. Imaginary things that are endlessly malleable are not things we need to waste time considering. We have our real and constrained and limited physical existence that presents real choices and challenges and needs the full focus of our attention.

Says an unbeliever...lol..

Great. Believe what you want and stay away from religion forums so you aren't disturbed by discomforting enlightenment.

no good religion often seems to effect what real people do

what enlightenment are you talking about?

You can thank Martin Luther for that - that's his doing, not God's. Now someone tell me how we don't have free will.

how did you link a god to any religion at any point of its evolution?

dont know if we have free will or not god or no god

the many worlds idea where reality splits itself into parallel version to cover all possibilitys would do the trick

or if are thoughts and feelings are scripted by an omniscient being so that are actions can not diverge form what it has always know we would do that would also imply the the mechanics of reality dont include choice as their no possibility of doing things differently

Awesome. "Biblical Christianity" reduced to a common denominator of 1 sentence. The rest is still being debated among the thousands of denominations.

The primitive superstition of religion will always be with us.

Unlike the rest of the developed nations, America is still seeing the influence of religion - almost always evangelical Christianity. The younger generation is beginning to move away from such beliefs, slowly. Unfortunately, far too many in the political game continue to use their 'faith' to gain power.

Unlike the rest of the developed nations, America is still seeing the influence of religion - almost always evangelical Christianity. The younger generation is beginning to move away from such beliefs, slowly. Unfortunately, far too many in the political game continue to use their 'faith' to gain power.

We are more advanced where I live.

1. The question of the divinity of Jesus was not "settled" for hundreds of years and eventually only under the threat of death. This debate was the followed by an equally contentious one about the nature of the Holy Spirit.

The deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit are both clearly evidence in the 1st Century New Testament.

2. Much of the condemnation of homosexuality in the Bible is debatable depending on how the original greek and hebrew are translated. Some of it is part of works that are thought by scholars to be forgeries. Homosexuality was widely practiced during the time of the Bible and continued to be afterwards.

No, that's not correct:

Let's look at the Scriptures::

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

1 Timothy 1:8-10 - “But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine…”

Jude 7 – “In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.”

There's no gay marriages in the Old Testament; No gay marriages in the New Testament; no gay sex approved anywhere in the Bible. Just the opposite - gay sex is condemned in both testaments. God is consistent on that.

And to close:

Dr. Bruce Metzger of Princeton Theological Seminary mentions other references to Sodom's sexual immorality in 3 Maccabees 2:5: "the people of Sodom who acted arrogantly, who were notorious for their vices." And again in Jubilees 16:6: "the uncleanness of the Sodomites."

3. Never heard anyone say this.

4. Well thats dumb.

5. Haven't heard that one

6. Then they are a pantheist, not a Christian

7. Stupid

8. All truths arent relative. The truth of the way we speak about them may be relative but there is still one truth.

9. He probably was

10. You hear that every day in a lot of Sunday schools.

11. Most of us are inherently complicit to social standards so to some extend that is true depending on your definition of Good

12. Adultery probably isn't okay with the spouse its being hid from.

13. Doubtful

14. There is no God. The Bible is an amalgam of works written over hundreds of years, translated poorly and to suit people's agendas (like crushing the Pagans who practiced homosexuality openly), or were outright forgeries. You may be right about what has been Christian doctrine for recent history, but Christianity has changed before and will change again. See the Protestant reformation. Don't be a douche about it.

You're right about #6. But that's why they would have a liberal interpretation of the Bible.

Love your # 8 - "All truths are relative."

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure of that or just RELATIVELY sure?

Because it sure looks like that's your first absolute truth. LOL.

The rest of your points are either false or incomplete / unsubstantiated.

Last edited:
The bold leaves me wondering why people cannot just accept that as metaphor, omitting all the hocus pocus bull****. It actually is a cool enough story without the need to add in all the impossible to believe supernatural crap.

I'll tell you what the Bible says about that:

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them." - 1 Corinthians 2:14

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them." - 1 Corinthians 2:14

Hindus think that they have the divine spirit. It's a common illusion.

Oh, I am with Spirit. We all are. I just don't buy all the bs that comes with the Jesus is a god stuff. JC is no god. Hell, he's just a dude who had some very good ideas attributed to him. I'm not even sure those were all his ideas. In fact, I bet not.

Oh, I am with Spirit. We all are. I just don't buy all the bs that comes with the Jesus is a god stuff. JC is no god. Hell, he's just a dude who had some very good ideas attributed to him. I'm not even sure those were all his ideas. In fact, I bet not.

He is saying that the bible is true because the bible is true. That is erroneous logic and does not belong in this forum. Preaching is frowned upon here.

Hindus think that they have the divine spirit. It's a common illusion.

We all have divine spirit. Psychologists it Ego.

...or was that Id?

Yep, that is exactly why, no matter how many times scriptures are explained to certain people, they just don't get it...it's like talking to a brick wall...in fact i think a brick wall would understand sooner...

Yep, that is exactly why, no matter how many times scriptures are explained to certain people, they just don't get it...it's like talking to a brick wall...in fact i think a brick wall would understand sooner...

Scripture has more in common with toilet paper than truth. Just say'n.

Back
Top Bottom