• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberal steals the New York Times

RenoCon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
For the last 5 years I have been going to my local Starbucks in the morning and have noticed that everyday there is a liberal (lets call him "Pat") that gets a tall coffee, and a half cup of free cream. Pat then slinks over to the news stand and sneaks a copy of the New York Times, reads it cover to cover and puts it back on the rack. Pat drives a high end German car and certainly could afford to buy the NYT. I would estimate that Pat has stolen $4500 dollars worth of NYT over the these years. Now, I have thought about approaching Pat at the pay counter and offering to pay for his NYT for him, or otherwise confront him, but, I suspect that the conversation would go something like this:

Me: Why do sneak around and read the New York Times every morning without paying for it?
Pat: Well, I am not stealing it! (He proclaims indignantly) I always put it back on the rack!
Me: So, you would only be "stealing it", if you actually took it home and used it to wipe your arse with it?
...the conversation would only go downhill from there...

Is this a common phenomenon at your local coffee shop? I never see a conservative (or otherwise) steal the WSJ. I have witnessed a moderate in our otherwise conservative coffee group read the local paper without paying for it, until she got her own subscription. I read my subscription to the WSJ every morning. If it does not show up at my doorstep (that happens about once a month), I pay $3.50 for it at Starbucks! Which is, needless to say, quite annoying.

Has anyone witnessed a conservative stealing the WSJ? I have not.

Is it OK to read a newspaper off of the sale rack and put it back? I know that I will not buy a newspaper that has already been read. My Dad would never read a newspaper or book that had "eyeprints" on it.

For the last 5 years I have been going to my local Starbucks in the morning and have noticed that everyday there is a liberal (lets call him "Pat") that gets a tall coffee, and a half cup of free cream. Pat then slinks over to the news stand and sneaks a copy of the New York Times, reads it cover to cover and puts it back on the rack. Pat drives a high end German car and certainly could afford to buy the NYT. I would estimate that Pat has stolen $4500 dollars worth of NYT over the these years. Now, I have thought about approaching Pat at the pay counter and offering to pay for his NYT for him, or otherwise confront him, but, I suspect that the conversation would go something like this:

Me: Why do sneak around and read the New York Times every morning without paying for it?
Pat: Well, I am not stealing it! (He proclaims indignantly) I always put it back on the rack!
Me: So, you would only be "stealing it", if you actually took it home and used it to wipe your arse with it?

Is this a common phenomenon at your local coffee shop? I never see a conservative (or otherwise) steal the WSJ. I have witnessed a moderate in our otherwise conservative coffee group read the local paper without paying for it, until she got her own subscription. I read my subscription to the WSJ every morning. If it does not show up at my doorstep (that happens about once a month), I pay $3.50 for it at Starbucks! Which is, needless to say, quite annoying.

Is it OK to read a newspaper off of the sale rack and put it back? I know that I will not buy a newspaper that has already been read. My Dad would never read a newspaper or book that had "eyeprints" on it.
Do you have the ability to determine someones ideological beliefs simply by looking at them? I do not.

So what is this anecdote supposed to prove exactly?

Personally, I think it's pretty creepy that you know this guy's movements, know what car he drives, know what coffee he purchases, and have the time to monitor his full reading of the NYT every day. Unless you own the newsstand where this is happening, it's none of your business.

"Get a life" comes to mind, but that's just me.

I believe it proves that RenoCon allows his ideological hackery to make him believe that he can tell what ideology someone is must by looking at them. Hey! Let me try that.

Since the guy in question drives a "high end German car"... and we know that conservatives tend to be richer than liberals... AND the fact that he keeps doing it... and we know that conservatives don't learn from their mistakes... he MUST be a conservative.

Gee... now when I read that back, it sounds about as stupid as the OP's suggestion that the guy is a liberal.

Do you have the ability to determine someones ideological beliefs simply by looking at them? I do not.
Just is theory. I can't imagine a conservative reading the NYT cover to cover.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

what pretty much every other thread is supposed to prove : my tribe good, your tribe bad.

I find it ironic that the liberal rag that is the NYT, espousing free health care, free education, labor union support by individuals that don't want them, etc. is losing tons of money as their liberal constituents steal their paper.

I used to work in a bar and grill and there was an older couple, which based on our conversations I could easily determine they were very Republican, who would steal handful of crackers and put them in the women's purse. They were in a basket that was behind the counter but easily reached and definitely not for free. Since they were regulars and older the owner never said anything but always kept track. The guy was retired from the railroad and was well off and could afford to buy boxes of the crackers but instead they chose to be cheap and steal them.

I don't judge anyone other than them for their actions and it'd be pretty funny if I started a conservatives steal crackers thread.

I used to work in a bar and grill and there was an older couple, which based on our conversations I could easily determine they were very Republican, who would steal handful of crackers and put them in the women's purse. They were in a basket that was behind the counter but easily reached and definitely not for free. Since they were regulars and older the owner never said anything but always kept track. The guy was retired from the railroad and was well off and could afford to buy boxes of the crackers but instead they chose to be cheap and steal them.

I don't judge anyone other than them for their actions and it'd be pretty funny if I started a conservatives steal crackers thread.

What's all this talk about conservatives and "crackers"?? Are you a racist??

:mrgreen:

Maybe you should stop using ideology as the primary characteristic in which to define people?

Okay, so the guy is one of the few getting his money's worth out of the New York Times.

That's a good point. Normally conservatives prefer news written at about the 3rd grade level - Drudge, Newsmax, World Net Daily - that kind of drivel, and would be put off by the big words in the NYT. :roll:

Personally, I think it's pretty creepy that you know this guy's movements, know what car he drives, know what coffee he purchases, and have the time to monitor his full reading of the NYT every day. Unless you own the newsstand where this is happening, it's none of your business.

Yea, creepy, but I have been going there a few times a month for 5 years. And he is there every time I go. If I happen to go in later in the AM there is just the evidence of a single disheveled NYT on the rack. OK...there were a couple of times he was not there. He may be off on vaction in the South of France for a couple of weeks. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and calculated $3/paper x 5 days/wk x (only) 50 weeks/yr x 5 yrs to get the $4500. My bad, $3750...maybe higher wth the Sunday edition.

I believe it proves that RenoCon allows his ideological hackery to make him believe that he can tell what ideology someone is must by looking at them. Hey! Let me try that.

Since the guy in question drives a "high end German car"... and we know that conservatives tend to be richer than liberals... AND the fact that he keeps doing it... and we know that conservatives don't learn from their mistakes... he MUST be a conservative.

Gee... now when I read that back, it sounds about as stupid as the OP's suggestion that the guy is a liberal.
Gee, sorry I touched a nerve with you.

Gee, sorry I touched a nerve with you.

Didn't touch a nerve. Just wanted to show how ridiculous ideological hacks look, so I used your OP as a basis for that. Mission accomplished.

Lets just stick to the boring neutral question in your case. Is it OK with you to take a paper off the rack, read it, and put it back...without paying for it? Or is that stealing?

Lets just stick to the boring neutral question in your case. Is it OK with you to take a paper off the rack, read it, and put it back...without paying for it? Or is that stealing?

Take the paper, read it, and PUT IT BACK? At Starbucks where they have papers there for just that purpose? Of course that's OK and is not stealing. It's like reading a magazine in the waiting room of a doctor's office while you're waiting to get seen. Not stealing. TAKING AWAY the paper... or magazine... without permission is stealing. Those are there for patrons to enjoy while they are there.

Personally, I think it's pretty creepy that you know this guy's movements, know what car he drives, ...

It is easy to tell what car he drives. He always parks in the "handicap" spot, without a placcard, and jogs to the front door.

Wasn't it part of their senior citizen discount? :mrgreen:

What's all this talk about conservatives and "crackers"?? Are you a racist??

:mrgreen:
Nice catch. Americanwomen has already deleated her post?[emoji23]

Take the paper, read it, and PUT IT BACK? At Starbucks where they have papers there for just that purpose? Of course that's OK and is not stealing. It's like reading a magazine in the waiting room of a doctor's office while you're waiting to get seen. Not stealing. TAKING AWAY the paper... or magazine... without permission is stealing. Those are there for patrons to enjoy while they are there.

No. The papers are on the SALE RACK. I occasionally have to PURCHASE the WSJ off the SAME rack. I have seen coffee shops where there is a FREE paper. That is not the case here.

Back
Top Bottom