• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberal steals the New York Times

For the last 5 years I have been going to my local Starbucks in the morning and have noticed that everyday there is a liberal (lets call him "Pat") that gets a tall coffee, and a half cup of free cream. Pat then slinks over to the news stand and sneaks a copy of the New York Times, reads it cover to cover and puts it back on the rack. Pat drives a high end German car and certainly could afford to buy the NYT. I would estimate that Pat has stolen $4500 dollars worth of NYT over the these years. Now, I have thought about approaching Pat at the pay counter and offering to pay for his NYT for him, or otherwise confront him, but, I suspect that the conversation would go something like this:

Me: Why do sneak around and read the New York Times every morning without paying for it?
Pat: Well, I am not stealing it! (He proclaims indignantly) I always put it back on the rack!
Me: So, you would only be "stealing it", if you actually took it home and used it to wipe your arse with it?
...the conversation would only go downhill from there...

Is this a common phenomenon at your local coffee shop? I never see a conservative (or otherwise) steal the WSJ. I have witnessed a moderate in our otherwise conservative coffee group read the local paper without paying for it, until she got her own subscription. I read my subscription to the WSJ every morning. If it does not show up at my doorstep (that happens about once a month), I pay $3.50 for it at Starbucks! Which is, needless to say, quite annoying.

Has anyone witnessed a conservative stealing the WSJ? I have not.

Is it OK to read a newspaper off of the sale rack and put it back? I know that I will not buy a newspaper that has already been read. My Dad would never read a newspaper or book that had "eyeprints" on it.

Huh. You should shake your fist impotently at the sky, curse and then sit down and write a sternly worded letter to someone.

It would be a great compliment to your empty speculation about political proclivities based on pretty much nothing.

Just is theory. I can't imagine a conservative reading the NYT cover to cover.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Well, you do don't you? A balance of information sources means being better informed.

I might have responded. I definitely would have responding differently. If this is how you want to come across... OK. Just remember, though. Just like your "perception" of liberals in the OP, people will get a "perception" of you and respond accordingly. If that's what you want, cool. If not, either alter your behavior or don't complain when you get the responses that you do.
I am a proud "very conservative". I can take it. "Microaggessions" will not cause me to even lose sleep. But your point is well taken.

I am a proud "very conservative". I can take it. "Microaggessions" will not cause me to even lose sleep. But your point is well taken.

Being a proud "very conservative" is not an issue. Nothing wrong with that. Most people want to be taken seriously, though. One thing I always say... presentation is EVERYTHING. Just some unsolicited advice. If it doesn't apply, let it fly.

For the last 5 years I have been going to my local Starbucks in the morning and have noticed that everyday there is a liberal (lets call him "Pat") that gets a tall coffee, and a half cup of free cream. Pat then slinks over to the news stand and sneaks a copy of the New York Times, reads it cover to cover and puts it back on the rack. Pat drives a high end German car and certainly could afford to buy the NYT. I would estimate that Pat has stolen $4500 dollars worth of NYT over the these years. Now, I have thought about approaching Pat at the pay counter and offering to pay for his NYT for him, or otherwise confront him, but, I suspect that the conversation would go something like this:

Me: Why do sneak around and read the New York Times every morning without paying for it?
Pat: Well, I am not stealing it! (He proclaims indignantly) I always put it back on the rack!
Me: So, you would only be "stealing it", if you actually took it home and used it to wipe your arse with it?

Is this a common phenomenon at your local coffee shop? I never see a conservative (or otherwise) steal the WSJ. I have witnessed a moderate in our otherwise conservative coffee group read the local paper without paying for it, until she got her own subscription. I read my subscription to the WSJ every morning. If it does not show up at my doorstep (that happens about once a month), I pay $3.50 for it at Starbucks! Which is, needless to say, quite annoying.

Is it OK to read a newspaper off of the sale rack and put it back? I know that I will not buy a newspaper that has already been read. My Dad would never read a newspaper or book that had "eyeprints" on it.

Ohfercryingoutloud.
I've heard of some oddball fantasies, but rehearsing conversations with imaginary liberals? And then publishing your fantasy on the internet?

Weird.

So, does Starbucks buy the paper and resell it or does NYT get paid by Starbucks only for the papers they sell? I'm just trying to clarify who is getting ripped off here. If Starbucks only pays the NYT for the papers they sell, they probably don't care. If Starbucks pays for all the papers regardless of if they sell them, they should probably just stop selling papers and have a couple out for people to read as they see fit. Chances are, they only care if the papers leave the store as they are more valuable to them as incentive for people to come in and buy drinks than they are as products to be (re)sold.

You should probably clarify that with the Starbucks. Sounds like you might have been wasting your money on all those WSJ's.
Damn! You've got a point! I do however get the WSJ at the much more reasonable subscription rate most the time. They even gave me a FREE MONTH (good conservative bunch that cares about their constituency) after delivery failed a couple of times in a two week span. I hate paying $3.50 at SB...and the smell of a good fresh paper in the morning is so rewarding...no online editions for me.

Huh. You should shake your fist impotently at the sky, curse and then sit down and write a sternly worded letter to someone.

It would be a great compliment to your empty speculation about political proclivities based on pretty much nothing.
I (and others) have covered this. But thanks for your input. I really do LIKE the outrage in your post though.

Damn! You've got a point! I do however get the WSJ at the much more reasonable subscription rate most the time. They even gave me a FREE MONTH (good conservative bunch that cares about their constituency) after delivery failed a couple of times in a two week span. I hate paying $3.50 at SB...and the smell of a good fresh paper in the morning is so rewarding...no online editions for me.

Fair enough. I should have clarified you were wasting the money only on the WSJ's you bought at Starbucks; I didn't mean the ones through your subscription.

I find it ironic that the liberal rag that is the NYT, espousing free health care, free education, labor union support by individuals that don't want them, etc. is losing tons of money as their liberal constituents steal their paper.

This is ONE guy. This anecdote isn't indicative of liberals as a whole.

Well, you do don't you? A balance of information sources means being better informed.
My balance is NPR Politics podcasts..and DP. I really had an aversion to NPR in the past, but after listening to it for a while I had to admit that they really do try to make an EFFORT to be fair. Although Nina Toten's (?sp) and others liberal bias leaks out on occasion, I have become a convert to their mostly factual reporting. NYT...hard news occasionally unbiased...with mostly misleading headlines. NYT editorials almost as bad as trying to listen to Hillary or Obama....yech!

Being a proud "very conservative" is not an issue. Nothing wrong with that. Most people want to be taken seriously, though. One thing I always say... presentation is EVERYTHING. Just some unsolicited advice. If it doesn't apply, let it fly.
Come on, I was just trying to have some fun with THIS lightweight issue. Read my posts in other threads. I understand the distinction.

Of all the OPs around here, this OP isn't very high on the serious meter.
I'm crushed. Moderator, please save me from all the evil comments! [emoji24]

I (and others) have covered this. But thanks for your input. I really do LIKE the outrage in your post though.

What outrage? Just dispassionate observation of objective fact.

But, hey, enjoy your fantasies about make-pretend liberals and projecting your own issues on them.

Got film of this? So you are claiming that someone is breaking multiple laws and admitting that you are enabling them because you are not turning them in, noted.
No. That was a total lie. Just having some fun with you. Happens all the time though, ie, illegal handicap parking...don't know THEIR political lean. Annoys me all the same.

My balance is NPR Politics podcasts..and DP. I really had an aversion to NPR in the past, but after listening to it for a while I had to admit that they really do try to make an EFFORT to be fair. Although Nina Toten's (?sp) and others liberal bias leaks out on occasion, I have become a convert to their mostly factual reporting. NYT...hard news occasionally unbiased...with mostly misleading headlines. NYT editorials almost as bad as trying to listen to Hillary or Obama....yech!

I listen to right-wing radio, and watch local Fox News ( I don't have cable, but I get Chris Wallace on Sundays). I like NPR, and PBS News and Nightly Business Report. I would like to suggest to you, Democracy Now out of Pacifica Radio. The show is also broadcast nightly on PBS stations as well: Amy Goodman is a slanted, but completely legit source and she doesn't necessarily pick the "Liberal side" as much as liberal issues. She handles both sides of an issue extremely well.

The idea of the balance is to study the thinking of different broadcast and news outlets and follow the sources of particular stories or issues. I am not a friend of either Obama OR Hillary, but up against Trump they are a breath of fresh air.

You wasted all that on a resentment over one guy and a newspaper?

The NYT doesn't care about their intellectual property - if he's reading the NYT he's reading the ads, which is a win for the NYT. And Starbucks has to be one of the biggest sellers of the NYT, and has had special deals with NYT for many years, so I'm guessing they get copies of the paper for approaching free. So it's no secret why Starbucks probably doesn't give even a little damn about this "theft" - they have a customer who comes in every day, hundreds of visits per year, to buy their high margin coffee and pastry, and in return he gets to read a paper that costs them next to nothing. It's a rational business decision, not "theft."
I really do feel better now. Thanks. You have relieved me of my guilt for not reporting this, and absolved me of my sins. Sorry, that sounds a little snarky, but I really do appreciate your comments and will be headed home shortly to relay this comment to my wife whom I have also gotten all worked up about it without the benefit of her having witnessed this first hand.

No. That was a total lie. Just having some fun with you. Happens all the time though, ie, illegal handicap parking...don't know THEIR political lean. Annoys me all the same.

So you posted a Lie as your thread? Umm, I do not believe that is approved of here or any other discussion board, as it is dishonest.

You wasted all that on a resentment over one guy and a newspaper?
Yea, but, jasperL just saved me...really. I try to lead a simple life.

So you posted a Lie as your thread? Umm, I do not believe that is approved of here or any other discussion board, as it is dishonest.
Just the follow up post about handicap parking. Sorry. I beg your forgiveness, and that of the moderators. The initial thread start is accurate...and unbiased, IMHO.

I'm crushed. Moderator, please save me from all the evil comments! [emoji24]

LOL. That was cute. Hey, sometimes non-serious threads are a good break, so no foul.

Back
Top Bottom