• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Liberal Admiration

Comrade Brian said:
Well, by some conservative definitions, I am a liberal, or close enough.

I get admirition too! How cool!:mrgreen:

The more the merrier!!

cnredd said:
And you admit to listening to Navy Pride?...:shock:

Wow...You Liberals ARE messed up!...:2wave:

There is an old saying something like . " A fool learns nothing from a wiseman , but a wiseman learns much from a fool. "

tecoyah said:
I was a Reagan republican.....and voted for Bush Sr. as well.....though I did not vote for Jr....as I saw what he had done to Texas, and felt Gore would continue the economic platform of Clinton. I had also watched Bush make a fool of himself by attempting to talk, and that really turned me off.

The first time I voted, I am ashamed to say this, but I voted for W. (Gore wasn't an attractive candidate to me) mostly because he ran as a moderate. Whooo was I in for a suprise, come inaguration day, I'm sure most who voted for him were in for a rude awakening. He smuggled into the Oval Office the most aggresive right-wing idelogy in decades.

The Real McCoy said:
So... How bout that Rush Limbaugh? ;)

O man, he is the biggest hypocrite I know of. For years this swollen-mouthed media enterpriser rallied against drug defendents, but when his time came in court, I don't believe he said to the judge, "I've been parading against drug addicts for nearly a decade. Please throw the book at me" nope, instead he hired an expensive war chest of lawyers, and he plea barganed his ass off. Hypocrite.

kal-el said:
The first time I voted, I am ashamed to say this, but I voted for W. (Gore wasn't an attractive candidate to me) mostly because he ran as a moderate. Whooo was I in for a suprise, come inaguration day, I'm sure most who voted for him were in for a rude awakening. He smuggled into the Oval Office the most aggresive right-wing idelogy in decades.
lol.... Just "days" after being sworn in, he started the Office of Faith Based Initiatives and wrote an executive order to setup 5 centers for his project.

So, one of the first things he did was a kick in the balls to seperation of church and state. Of course, the program DOES have good intentions, but it brings the government into the business of religion.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/01/20010129-2.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/01/20010129-3.html

tecoyah said:
I would not say I have moved overly towards the middle, but Rather the GOP has moved away from me....and has moved so freakin far away I cant even see them anymore. That said I cannot be democrat as I dispise the weakness and complete lack of focus that party has, combined with the corruption prevelant on both sides....I think I'll just sit in the center and watch them lie to each other.

Well said. Come election time I feel the same way. Not sure If I want to vote for democrats because they lie as much as GOP nowadays

kal-el said:
O man, he is the biggest hypocrite I know of. For years this swollen-mouthed media enterpriser rallied against drug defendents, but when his time came in court, I don't believe he said to the judge, "I've been parading against drug addicts for nearly a decade. Please throw the book at me" nope, instead he hired an expensive war chest of lawyers, and he plea barganed his ass off. Hypocrite.

He's also spent years making the ACLU sound worse then nazi's. Who'd he call when he wanted his medical records kept private? You guessed it...his good friends at the ACLU. BTW- They came to his aid.

Pacridge said:
He's also spent years making the ACLU sound worse then nazi's. Who'd he call when he wanted his medical records kept private? You guessed it...his good friends at the ACLU. BTW- They came to his aid.

Yep, he's a king-sized asshole alright.

Most, if not all, pundits are hypocrites, regardless of political affiliation whether it be Limbaugh and O'Reilly or Chomsky and Moore.

The Real McCoy said:
Most, if not all, pundits are hypocrites, regardless of political affiliation whether it be Limbaugh and O'Reilly or Chomsky and Moore.

Oh, come now, I can see comparing Moore to Limbaugh and O'Reilly, but Chomsky? At least the guy has some intellectual legitimacy (and a degree).

Engimo said:
Oh, come now, I can see comparing Moore to Limbaugh and O'Reilly, but Chomsky? At least the guy has some intellectual legitimacy (and a degree).
Of course the logic isn't relevant, but the "degree" angle doesn't work here...

After graduating from Chaminade High School in 1967, O'Reilly attended Marist College, a small, co-educational institution in Poughkeepsie, New York. While at Marist, O'Reilly played punter (Duffy 1970) on the school's football team, and also was a columnist and features writer for the school's newspaper, The Circle. As an honors student majoring in history, he spent his junior year of college abroad, attending Queen Mary College at the University of London. (Marist 2001) He played semi-professional baseball during this time as a pitcher for the Brooklyn Monarchs, leading him to try out to play for the American professional baseball team, the New York Mets. O'Reilly received his Bachelor of Arts in 1971.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Reilly_(commentator)

This is in no way in defense of the guy...I just don't think a degree is relevant when it comes to politics...

There's probably some farmer in the middle of Bumfu*ck, North Dakota with more sense than a politico with a degree...I wouldn't give that a second thought...

Engimo said:

So possessing a degree makes one immune to hypocricy?

The fact that the man has made a living out of condeming capitalism and demonizing the Pentagon while at the same time lining his pockets with funds from both the DoD and the stock market makes him the epitome of hypocricy in my eyes.

Although he would say that the ends justify the means... :roll:

The Real McCoy said:
So possessing a degree makes one immune to hypocricy?

The fact that the man has made a living out of condeming capitalism and demonizing the Pentagon while at the same time lining his pockets with funds from both the DoD and the stock market makes him the epitome of hypocricy in my eyes.

Although he would say that the ends justify the means... :roll:

I figured that O'Reilly had a degree, I meant a higher degree. Chomsky has a Ph.D., even though I suppose that is not all that relevant. Listen, I don't agree with a lot of what he says, I just don't think it's fair to put him on the same level as obnoxious, lying demagogues like O'Reilly.

Way I look at it, They're the same person except on the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Engimo said:
I figured that O'Reilly had a degree, I meant a higher degree. Chomsky has a Ph.D., even though I suppose that is not all that relevant. Listen, I don't agree with a lot of what he says, I just don't think it's fair to put him on the same level as obnoxious, lying demagogues like O'Reilly.

Education is not necessarily an indicator of intelligence. For example, our president is well educated, but is not a man of remarkable intelligence. President Truman on the other hand was only a high school graduate. Karl Rove, whether you like him or not, is a very intelligent individual and is only a high school graduate.

O’Reilly’s problem is not that he is an idiot, its that he is a narcissist.

Well, I like Michael Moore. That must mean that I am the liberal and you guys are here to admire me. :lol:

Hi everyone! :2wave:

I came here to make a Jackass of myself (pun intended).

SouthernDemocrat said:
Education is not necessarily an indicator of intelligence. For example, our president is well educated, but is not a man of remarkable intelligence. President Truman on the other hand was only a high school graduate. Karl Rove, whether you like him or not, is a very intelligent individual and is only a high school graduate.

I agree with this statement. One can be loaded with diplomas, that just means that they have a bigger capacity to memorize facts. I had one friend that went to school for web design, and spend thousands of dollars, and he ended up working at Mcdicks.:lol:

kal-el said:
I agree with this statement. One can be loaded with diplomas, that just means that they have a bigger capacity to memorize facts. I had one friend that went to school for web design, and spend thousands of dollars, and he ended up working at Mcdicks.:lol:

It's quite sad that intelligence is measured by how much you can regurgitate back on paper when taking a test when it comes to academia.

I like to think how you apply knowledge to real world situations and learning from first hand experience is a major facet and measure of one's intelligence.

SixStringHero said:
It's quite sad that intelligence is measured by how much you can regurgitate back on paper when taking a test when it comes to academia.

I like to think how you apply knowledge to real world situations and learning from first hand experience is a major facet and measure of one's intelligence.
What gives even more credibility is when you you can justify how facts fly in the face and contradicts the education or thought process you've been given...

We've been all our lives told how precious life is and how we should do all that we can to prevent our own destruction...

And then we see people blow themselves up gleefully for their "God"...

Understanding the process of thinking outside of the box shows test scores can be irrelevant...

Six's "regurgitation" statement is correct...Anyone can state that "A+B=C"...But if you don't know how it's applied...or it's inevitable exceptions to the rule, saying the statement as fact is irrelevant...It just makes you book smart, and that doesn't go far...

SouthernDemocrat said:

Pow! Right in the kisser.

I admire liberals.

I just wonder where the heck most of them went, because so much that passes for liberal these days is simply authoritarian, marxist based leftism and knee-jerk anti-Bush reactionary politics.

There has been an assault on the word "liberal" the last 10-20 years and it seems many people are hell bent on making the attack a self-fulfilling prophesy by acting the part.

Noam Chomsky is not a liberal. Ward Churchill is not a liberal. ANSWER, United for Peace and Justice and the PSM and ISM are NOT liberal, and I really wish more liberals would stand up and say "No -- these people do not speak for me and they do not speak for liberals". How many times have folks read comments from folks ont he left in regards to "why don't more Christians speak out against the fundies"? I wonder the same thing in regards to liberals not speaking up in regards to the leftist fundies.

In any case, I admire liberals. It's the fundamentalist left that annoys the heck out of me (and as much as I am annoyed by the fundamentalist right).

Gardener said:
I admire liberals.

I just wonder where the heck most of them went, because so much that passes for liberal these days is simply authoritarian, marxist based leftism and knee-jerk anti-Bush reactionary politics.

There has been an assault on the word "liberal" the last 10-20 years and it seems many people are hell bent on making the attack a self-fulfilling prophesy by acting the part.

Noam Chomsky is not a liberal. Ward Churchill is not a liberal. ANSWER, United for Peace and Justice and the PSM and ISM are NOT liberal, and I really wish more liberals would stand up and say "No -- these people do not speak for me and they do not speak for liberals". How many times have folks read comments from folks ont he left in regards to "why don't more Christians speak out against the fundies"? I wonder the same thing in regards to liberals not speaking up in regards to the leftist fundies.

In any case, I admire liberals. It's the fundamentalist left that annoys the heck out of me (and as much as I am annoyed by the fundamentalist right).

And I admire Gardener. Very true and eloquently stated.

These days there is too much time, thought and energy wasted frantically pointing at the crevasse between the two ideologies of liberalism and conservatism - both sides feeding off each other - making loud proclamations of the inherent character flaws of one or the other. And not nearly enough devotion of our resources, speaking of liberals now, to defining how the things that matter to us can be translated into real, concrete works that can positively benefit this country and the world, right here, right now, as things are at this time. I will be first to say that we have intellectualized and idealized our philosophies too much.

So many things that liberals see as wrong with America simply are not going to change in the here and now and we need to come to grips with that - as do those on the far right (and I think they are learning a little about this right now during GW Bush, Part II). We need to realize that the cultivation of patience and the wisdom of compromise are going to be crucial to us ever making a real difference in the world. Because there is no starting over - the world is moving much too quickly. Yet time keeps slipping by with a lot of big talk and very little meaningful action. And unfortunately our "leaders" in Washington aren't doing any better than the rest of us at making US politics less about our big mouths and more about what this nation stands for and can contribute towards making the earth a better place to live.

Here's a good one by one of my favorite people whom we are so fortunate to have residing on the planet with us - right now:

I am open to the guidance of synchronicity, and do not let expectations hinder my path. - Dalai Lama

SouthernDemocrat said:
Education is not necessarily an indicator of intelligence. For example, our president is well educated, but is not a man of remarkable intelligence

Yes tru dat. President Bush went to one of the best high schools in this nation Philips Academy Andover. Beautiful school. The campus is nicer than most colleges.

Back
Top Bottom