• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Libby Indicted

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
White House Fears Indictment For Libby

I have a feeling somebody is fixing to get an indictment. Here are two important quotes from the article:

White House Fears Indictment for Libby By JOHN SOLOMON and PETE YOST, Associated Press Writers
58 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - White House officials braced for the possibility that Vice President Dick Cheney's top aide would be indicted in the CIA leak case, but held out hope presidential confidant Karl Rove might escape charges for the time being.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald signaled Thursday he might simply keep Rove under investigation, according to a person familiar with recent developments in the case who requested anonymity because of its sensitivity. That would spare Rove bad news Friday when the grand jury that has heard the case for two years is set to expire.

When the investigation began two years ago, a White House spokesman checked with Rove and Libby, then assured the public that neither was involved in leaking Plame's identity.

In the past month, it was revealed that Libby spoke to New York Times reporter Judith Miller, who says their conversations included Plame's CIA status.

Rove's legal problems stem in part from the fact that he failed initially to disclose to prosecutors a conversation in which he told Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper that Plame worked for the CIA. The president's top political adviser says the conversation slipped his mind.

Columnist Robert Novak revealed Plame's name and her CIA status on July 14, 2003. That was five days after Novak talked to Rove and eight days after Plame's husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, published an opinion article in the Times accusing the Bush administration of twisting intelligence to exaggerate the threat posed by Iraq.

hmmm and here is an interesting quote from the article:

Columnist Robert Novak revealed Plame's name and her CIA status on July 14, 2003. That was five days after Novak talked to Rove and eight days after Plame's husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, published an opinion article in the Times accusing the Bush administration of twisting intelligence to exaggerate the threat posed by Iraq.

Wilson and his supporters have charged the leak of Plame's name, which ended her ability to work undercover for the CIA, was designed to discredit him and punish him for his criticism and intimidate others inside the government critical of Bush's Iraq policies.

Also in the backdrop of Fitzgerald's investigation is a set of forged documents that stated Iraq was acquiring uranium yellowcake from the African nation of Niger. Wilson had been sent by the CIA to Africa to investigate such reports, later used by Bush to help justify the war in Iraq.

On Thursday, the White House disputed an Italian news report relating to those forgeries, which the FBI is continuing to investigate.

The news report and speculation on Internet blogs have said that National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley may have received bogus information three years ago from an Italian intelligence chief about Iraq's nuclear ambitions.

Re: White House Fears Indictment For Libby

Mod, sorry, wasn't paying attention to where you moved the threads to a new part of the forum.

TimmyBoy said:
Mod, sorry, wasn't paying attention to where you moved the threads to a new part of the forum.

I know, Timmy. You should be ashamed of yourself! ;)

Since Rove has received notice he won't be indicted and Libby has not, it looks like Libby will be indicted. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

[Moderator Mode]

Moved this thread into the appropriate forum...

[/Moderator Mode]

He has been indicted, and will now resign, thank God this is over.:roll:

Oh, and great news for those on the left, Rove will not be indicted, I've got extra tissues if you need them.:lol:

Ouch, five charges, perjury, obstruction of justice, making false statements, this guy is in some serious trouble.:shock:

Yahoo has some breaking news on the indictment of Libby.

Mod Note

Merged Threads

/Mod Note

Libby's Libby's Libby's in the JailCell JailCell Jailcell!

The good news is if your a Republican or a Conservative is that Carl Rove cam out unscathed............

That has to be a tough pill for the Democrats and the Liberals to swallow who smelled blood in the water over this whole incident........

Navy Pride said:
The good news is if your a Republican or a Conservative is that Carl Rove cam out unscathed............

That has to be a tough pill for the Democrats and the Liberals to swallow who smelled blood in the water over this whole incident........

Correction. Rove hasn't been indicted yet. I love this because it keeps the White House in turmoil. Rove is too egotistical to resign to take the heat off the White House. The investigation led by an unflappable Republican prosecutor will continue at a Chinese water torture pace and will consume the balance of the disgraceful presidency of Bush.

TwoPops

Has Libby resigned yet?

scottyz said:
Has Libby resigned yet?

Yes he has, right after word came down.:2wave:

Cheney Adviser Resigns After Indictment By JOHN SOLOMON and PETE YOST, Associated Press Writers
11 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The vice president's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter' Libby Jr., was charged Friday with obstruction of justice, perjury and making false statements in the CIA leak investigation, a politically charged case that will throw a spotlight on President Bush's push to war. Libby resigned and left the White House.

Any trial would dig into the secret deliberations of Bush and his team as they built the case for war against Iraq.

Bush ordered U.S. troops to war in March 2003, saying Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction program posed a grave and immediate threat to the United States. No such weapons were found. The U.S. military death toll climbed past 2,000 this week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cia_leak...jBqP0AC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Deegan said:
He has been indicted, and will now resign, thank God this is over.:roll:

Oh, and great news for those on the left, Rove will not be indicted, I've got extra tissues if you need them.:lol:

This is far from over. Next comes the trial, unless Libby cops a plea.

My prediction is that this will cast a shadow over the remainder of Bush's second term.

5 counts:
2 Perjury
2 Making false statements
1 Obstruction of Justice

Merry-Fitzmas.jpg

Investigation against Rove continues. One wrong word from his associates could take him down. Thus far, lawyers are still the best liars. While the investigation continues Rove's associates take heed...

...nobody move, nobody gets hurt:gunsmilie

What a great day for us Libs. (NOT Libby) He was indicted and he resigns. I said on aol daily pulse. This admistration is a disgrace. Remember President Bush said he was going to restore honor to the white house . Is this Honor. Indictments! Lies, death of 2001 soilders. It's in Choas. Just a little fyi Cliton may have done some shady things But he was not indicted for him, and /or anyone in his white house staff. How go on trusting a gov. who leaks out suposely cia . We have our children to protect. And this as gone on way to long and way to far.

And I am not saying this about all rebulicans. But I am saying about this goverment.

Who thinks Roves indictment is just a matter of time?

oh I do. I believe Rove is deep in it. He stinks a mile away. MEMEMe( raising my hands up high.

scottyz said:
Who thinks Roves indictment is just a matter of time?

He's too slick to get indicted I think. The good thing for the country is that he'll be spending his time figuring out how to stay out of jail, rather than consulting with the president.

hipsterdufus said:
This is far from over. Next comes the trial, unless Libby cops a plea.

My prediction is that this will cast a shadow over the remainder of Bush's second term.

5 counts:
2 Perjury
2 Making false statements
1 Obstruction of Justice

Merry-Fitzmas.jpg

This will be a memory in a few weeks, probably after the next soldier dies in Iraq. Libby will plea out of course, and the shawdow you speak of, it never left this administration. There is really nothing Bush can do to repair the tarnished image this admin. has endured, and I expect that it will only get worse. But this, this was not what Democrats, and liberals were salvating for, I expect they are all as disappointed as Chris Mathews obviously was.

Bush has 3 years left in office. Politically, three years is a really long time. I doubt people will still be talking about this 3 years from now. If things are going great in the country in a couple of years, then Bush will have plenty of political capital. If things are not going so well, especially in Iraq, then this will be just another nail in the coffin for the Bush legacy.

My point is that the libs are just salivating and the cons are feeling really down, but you know a year from now, who knows what the political landscape will look like.

Navy Pride said:

LOL Well, Rove is not completely off the hook. I think if Fitzgerald really didn't think that he could indict Rove, he wouldn't be continuing the investigation. But we shall see. I will admit, Navy Pride, that I am a little disappointed; however, I dislike Cheney as much as I dislike Rove, so the fact that his right-hand man has been indicted and will be resigning is helping me get over this disappointment.

Navy Pride said:

Carl Rove isn't off the hook yet. I believe the strategy the prosecutor is pursuing is to cut a plea bargain in return give damaging information or testimony against Carl Rove, that is why he is remaining under investigation. I think the prosecutor wants to go after Carl Rove personally, but me, if I was the prosecutor and was reasonably sure that Cheny was ultimately using Rove and Libby to out the CIA agent, then I would try to uncover this in any trial or plea deal.

Libby is the first to be indicted while still drawing a White House paycheck. but much of the Nixon staff was indicted after resigning or being fired. *A number of Reagan administration officials were also indicted in connection with Iran-Contra and Mike Deaver was indicted after leaving for illegal lobbying activities. *

This is part of a pattern of misconduct by Republican administrations. *This is the real Republican culture of corruption.

Back
Top Bottom