• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Libby Could be Pardoned

ANAV

Reaction score
Remember when Slick Willy pardoned 140 convicted people (including his own brother) before leaving office? Clinton essentially said "I don't care if these people where convicted by a court of law. The justice system messed up." I say Bush should pardon Libby if he gets convicted by this Democratic witch hunt. Just to hear the Democrats whine would be priceless.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/20/clinton.pardon/

Here are a few of the more high profile Clinton pardons;

Roger Clinton, who was convicted of drug-related charges in the 1980s. He was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty in 1985 to conspiring to distribute cocaine. He cooperated with authorities and testified against other drug defendants.

Henry Cisneros, who served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development during Clinton's first term in office. He was convicted of making false statements to FBI agents conducting a background investigation of him when he was nominated to the Cabinet post in 1993. They included misleading investigators about cash payments he made to a former mistress.

-- Former CIA Director John Deutch. The one-time spy chief and top Pentagon official was facing criminal charges in connection with his mishandling of national secrets on a home compute

-- Susan McDougal, a former real estate business partner of the Clintons. She was sentenced in 1996 and released from prison in 1998. She was convicted of four felonies related to a fraudulent $300,000 federally backed loan that she and her husband, James McDougal, never repaid. One tenth of the loan amount was placed briefly in the name of Whitewater Development, the Arkansas real estate venture of the Clintons and the McDougals. Her attorney, Mark Geragos, said he remains hopeful that she would be pardoned, refusing to say whether he has received any indication from the White House that she would be pardoned. She was incarcerated for 21 months.

Sure it's possible that, if convicted, Libby could be pardoned. So what? If he is convicted, his credibility will be lost. LOL

[Moderator mode]

Moved this thread to the appropriate forum...

[/Moderator mode]

Are you just now figuring out Libby could be pardoned? This isn't news.

FinnMacCool said:
Anav your avatar sucks.

[Moderator mode]

I don't think I even need to say anything here to get the point across...

[/Moderator mode]

ANAV said:
Remember when Slick Willy pardoned 140 convicted people (including his own brother) before leaving office? Clinton essentially said "I don't care if these people where convicted by a court of law. The justice system messed up." I say Bush should pardon Libby if he gets convicted by this Democratic witch hunt. Just to hear the Democrats whine would be priceless.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pardonchartlst.htm
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/20/clinton.pardon/

Here are a few of the more high profile Clinton pardons;

Roger Clinton, who was convicted of drug-related charges in the 1980s. He was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty in 1985 to conspiring to distribute cocaine. He cooperated with authorities and testified against other drug defendants.

Henry Cisneros, who served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development during Clinton's first term in office. He was convicted of making false statements to FBI agents conducting a background investigation of him when he was nominated to the Cabinet post in 1993. They included misleading investigators about cash payments he made to a former mistress.

-- Former CIA Director John Deutch. The one-time spy chief and top Pentagon official was facing criminal charges in connection with his mishandling of national secrets on a home compute

-- Susan McDougal, a former real estate business partner of the Clintons. She was sentenced in 1996 and released from prison in 1998. She was convicted of four felonies related to a fraudulent $300,000 federally backed loan that she and her husband, James McDougal, never repaid. One tenth of the loan amount was placed briefly in the name of Whitewater Development, the Arkansas real estate venture of the Clintons and the McDougals. Her attorney, Mark Geragos, said he remains hopeful that she would be pardoned, refusing to say whether he has received any indication from the White House that she would be pardoned. She was incarcerated for 21 months.

All the pointless Rhetoric written above does not change the fact that Bush, Cheney, Delay, and Rove belong in prison. All of us Good Fascist Neo conservative know that. Any one would be better in any branch of our government than us Neo Cons. Up with Profits, greed, the national debt, and tto hell with the poor and needy.

We should pardon Libby and aim our sights at Bush, Cheney, and Rove.
they belong in prison.

dragonslayer said:
All the pointless Rhetoric written above does not change the fact that Bush, Cheney, Delay, and Rove belong in prison. All of us Good Fascist Neo conservative know that. Any one would be better in any branch of our government than us Neo Cons. Up with Profits, greed, the national debt, and tto hell with the poor and needy.

We should pardon Libby and aim our sights at Bush, Cheney, and Rove.
they belong in prison.

You got the charges and the proof to send them to prison, go for it. Until then may you should get some Imodium A-D for the diarrheal of the mouth. Lets deal with facts shall we.

democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

If Libby is convicted of a crime I think he should do the time. I believe no one person should have the authority to overturn a conviction (with the exception of the Judge who oversaw the proceedings).

To date 2,700 presidential pardons have been given since the Nixon administration (Nixon received one himself from Ford). And all presidents have exercised this abuse of power.

ANAV said:
If Libby is convicted of a crime I think he should do the time. I believe no one person should have the authority to overturn a conviction (with the exception of the Judge who oversaw the proceedings).

So you don't agree with appellate process?

Seems like you've closed the book on democrats with all your cutesy insultations. I guess I shouldn't be suprised. I can only truly pity someone who generalizes in such a subjective way that they cannot possibly see the intricate difference in human beings, but rather only in their political party affiliation.

ANAV said:
To date 2,700 presidential pardons have been given since the Nixon administration.

Perhaps if you were to make it on jeapordy such useless knowledge may have some type of practical application. I wish you the best of luck with that.

ANAV said:
(Nixon received one himself from Ford). And all presidents have exercised this abuse of power.

Above you claimed to have knowledge of "since the nixon administration". Let me guess. You're also a neo-historian?

I agree with ANAV. Libby should do the time if found guilty, but it's only fair if Bush decides to pardon him. The privelage should be taken away from all presidents if at all, but not selectively.

Above you claimed to have knowledge of "since the nixon administration". Let me guess. You're also a neo-historian?
www.google.com is handy for double-checking what people say.

Richard Nixon - 926
Gerald Ford - 409
Jimmy Carter - 566
Ronald Reagan - 406
George Bush - 77
Bill Clinton - 456

Total - 2840

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/pardonspres1.htm

EDIT: Sorry Archon, I just noticed you were only addressing the bolded part of ANAV's quote. According to my link, 39 out of 42 presidents have used the pardon. Almost all of them, anyway.

So I was off by a little, I'm sorry I went to a public school. The point is that all those people were legally processed and then exonerated with the stroke of a pen. I've looked around and can't find any other President besides Clinton who used, or should I so abused, this power on a family member. I may be wrong though.

A convictoin will destroy him. (Big deal)

A pardon will just be one more example of the elitest club's seperation from regular folks. Even Nixon was pardoned.

Binary_Digit said:
I agree with ANAV. Libby should do the time if found guilty, but it's only fair if Bush decides to pardon him. The privelage should be taken away from all presidents if at all, but not selectively.

www.google.com is handy for double-checking what people say.

Richard Nixon - 926
Gerald Ford - 409
Jimmy Carter - 566
Ronald Reagan - 406
George Bush - 77
Bill Clinton - 456

Total - 2840

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/pardonspres1.htm

EDIT: Sorry Archon, I just noticed you were only addressing the bolded part of ANAV's quote. According to my link, 39 out of 42 presidents have used the pardon. Almost all of them, anyway.

Almost. Just not quite.
No need to be sorry as it is impossible to dispell the concerns that were forementioned. You only verified what I was actually stating... not considering that there is little historical reference to the pardoning that may or may not have occured before the Nixon administration. I was only attempting to keep the issue in context and dispell any exagerated claims. Emotions sometimes hinder people's logic. I'm only human myself. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom