• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School Problems [W:178]

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School Problems « CBS Chicago

Astounding! Even with a black mayor, it's the whites' fault. :doh

Its why inner City issues and schools in the inner city will continue to deteriorate.

No one dares ask the pertinent questions that would actually help those kids. No one will state the obvious for fear of being called a racist.

So failings schools and students with barely the capacity to read or write will be ignored. It's really sad.

I don't think Rahm Emmanuel is black...

I don't know what happens in Illinois, but I know that in many states because of how schools are funded, inner-city students tend to get shafted when it comes to funding. I don't know that it's racism per se, but it's not even "Separate but equal," it's separate and un-equal. You can call it any number of things, but it's an awfully big coincidence that there's a lot of minority students that get shafted in education.

Well, since Chicago did not have the heavy federal hand of civil rights come down on them like the South did, so it is more like it is the rich white liberal faults for not imposing the same laws/rules upon their own cities/states.

I don't know what happens in Illinois, but I know that in many states because of how schools are funded, inner-city students tend to get shafted when it comes to funding. I don't know that it's racism per se, but it's not even "Separate but equal," it's separate and un-equal. You can call it any number of things, but it's an awfully big coincidence that there's a lot of minority students that get shafted in education.

That's crap. Inner city schools overall receive more funding than other schools.

There are other minorities who do quite well. More often the problem lies in culture rather than race.

Erm, he's Jewish

E000287.jpg

But nice try at playing the race card while attacking someone for playing the race card

Are there any problems in the black community that you wouldn't chalk up to racism though?

Let's dispel this myth right now. Schools receive a mix of local, state and federal funding. Schools are equally funded from the state and the federal, by law. Where the inequality comes in is in the local funding. Here's a good article about the problem.

Schools Are More Segregated Today Than During the Late 1960s - Emily Richmond - The Atlantic

Researchers like Orfield note that the nation's public schools are more segregated today than they were in the late 1960s. According to Orfield, part of that backslide is due to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court over the past two decades. That includes a landmark 2007 decision invalidating Seattle Public Schools' voluntary desegregation plan which used race as a factor in school zoning decisions.

De facto segregation in public schools remains an issue | The Chronicle

Although outlawed by the U.S. Supreme Court more than 50 years ago, segregation in public schools persists across the nation, a study found.

The report “E Pluribus... Separation,” conducted by the Civil Rights Project at the University of California, Los Angeles, elucidates deepening segregation for Latino and black students, who attend increasingly more impoverished schools than they have for the past several decades. These findings, based on data from the Department of Education, show that 43 percent of Latinos and 38 percent of black students attend schools in which fewer than one-tenth of their fellow students are white.

Let's dispel this myth right now. Schools receive a mix of local, state and federal funding. Schools are equally funded from the state and the federal, by law. Where the inequality comes in is in the local funding. Here's a good article about the problem.

That's what I'm talking about though, when it comes to local funding, we've set up a separate and unequal system. Schools in many areas are de facto segregated, and kids in more affluent areas who have a bigger advantage to start with get a bigger advantage when it comes to schools as well.

As I said, I don't know that I'd call it "racism" per se (so sorry to everyone whose whole debating skill lies in screaming about the "race card"), but it is a fact that more affluent kids get better opportunities than less affluent ones. It's not based on race on the surface, but it does hit minorities harder based on income.

1. Rahm Emanuel is not black. This demonstrates that you have no authority to say if Karen Lewis is right since you don't even have that basic knowledge.

2. The school board - who has made all the harmful decisions in the school system - is, in fact, mostly rich, white people. So, rich white people are, quite literally, responsible for many school problems.

3. Most of disruptive, harmful policies enacted by the school board predominantly affect black neighborhoods. It's not a stretch to attribute that to racism.

1. Rahm Emanuel is not black. This demonstrates that you have no authority to say if Karen Lewis is right since you don't even have that basic knowledge.

2. The school board - who has made all the harmful decisions in the school system - is, in fact, mostly rich, white people. So, rich white people are, quite literally, responsible for many school problems.

3. Most of disruptive, harmful policies enacted by the school board predominantly affect black neighborhoods. It's not a stretch to attribute that to racism.

You scenerio fails on #2 and #3. School boards are local and locally elected from the LOCAL community. Thus a community that has a higher percentage of non-whites are likely to also have school board representation that skews that way.

The problem lies in income disparities.

I don't believe so, at least not as much as the real culprit - participation. Low income, low education communities generally have less participation in PTA, school and management (school board, steering committees).

The problem lies in income disparities.

How does this explain the rise of poor Asian immigrants to the middle class? Did they have secret trust funds stashed away that allowed them to succeed?

Another thread full of stupid liberal excuses, blaming racism, a lack of funding, decisions made by "white guys on school boards", and other stupid uninformed nonsense.

The CEO of Chicago Public Schools, the 3rd largest district in the US, Is Barbara Byrd-Bennett. She is black.

Further, the Mayor of that cess-pool, which has been Democrat forever, appoints the Chicago Public School Board. Its liberalism and all its manifest stupidity writ large.

Own it liberals. Except you can't. You don't believe in accountability. Just stupidity.

You scenerio fails on #2 and #3. School boards are local and locally elected from the LOCAL community.
The Chicago school board is not elected. It is appointed by the Mayor. That's one of the problems. You shouldn't talk about things you have no clue about.

Another thread full of stupid liberal excuses, blaming racism, a lack of funding, decisions made by "white guys on school boards", and other stupid uninformed nonsense.

The CEO of Chicago Public Schools, the 3rd largest district in the US, Is Barbara Byrd-Bennett. She is black.

Further, the Mayor of that cess-pool, which has been Democrat forever, appoints the Chicago Public School Board. Its liberalism and all its manifest stupidity writ large.

Own it liberals. Except you can't. You don't believe in accountability. Just stupidity.

It must be true. I read t in the paper. Chicago board closes 50 schools - Workers World » In the U.S. » Top » Workers World

How does this explain the rise of poor Asian immigrants to the middle class? Did they have secret trust funds stashed away that allowed them to succeed?

Of course not. There are exceptions to every rule. How do you explain the differences? Teachers Unions? Blacks? What do you think the difference is?

The Chicago school board is not elected. It is appointed by the Mayor. That's one of the problems. You shouldn't talk about things you have no clue about.

You are correct Chicago is the one exception for the state, However, your point fails because, as mentioned the CEO is herself black. In fact the former CEO whom she replaced, also black.

You are correct Chicago is the one exception for the state, However, your point fails because, as mentioned the CEO is herself black. In fact the former CEO whom she replaced, also black.
Um, no. Notice what I said.

The school board - who has made all the harmful decisions in the school system - is, in fact, mostly rich, white people.

I didn't say "all". Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom