• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's talk beer

It's the nitrogen that makes it a lot better when on tap. And I am not sure why draft beer tastes so much better in Ireland than it does here, but I agree. This holds true to both Guiness and Smithwick's.

I loved Smithwick's in Ireland (granted this was a LONG time ago), and was elated to see it cross the pond, only to be sorely disappointed with both bottled (expected) and draft.

I miss the Smithwick's in Ireland almost as much as I miss my grandmother there. It's close. :lol:

I'm not sure if there's a style of beer I don't like. It's all relatively great. There are styles I like above others. IPA's.....the IPA is the king of beers. The Double IPA is the God of Beers. I love wheats, from the wits to the wiezens and everything in between. We made our own Wheat Pale Ale, and it's delicious! I like stouts, but probable err more toward the Porter side when I'm in darker beer territory. The cream ales and stouts (nitrogen compressed or otherwise known as draughts) are super delicious.

More than anything, my beer snobbery has brought me into the understanding of serving temperatures. Temperature of the beer is exceptionally important to style, and quite honestly nothing except American Piss Beer should be served ice cold (and I do like me some American Piss Beer, PBR is one of my most consumed beers).
"APB" LOL. But hey, on a hot summer's day when you're out playing beer ball with your buddies, there's nothing better than an ice cold APB from a giant keg in clear plastic cup - which is why I contend the APB was originally crafted. :)

I always liked Oly (skunk piss beer). But being from CO, good ole Coors has been our standard APB.

(Who in their right minds brews beer with rice???)

Lately, I've been partial to heavily hopped beers... IPA's with more oomph, as it were. Even better, an IPA with a heavyhand on the hops on top of a rye base. Thats the kind of beer that actually is so astringent it removes water from your mouth as you drink it.

I have actually run into too heavily hopped beers lately though. Shorts had a couple (local MI brewery reknowned for weird beers. Try their PB and J stout or Bloody Mary beer) that were way too hoppy and unbalanced. Hop Juice (2 Brothers, Chicago) and Hop Stoopid (Lagunitas) are also a bit on the intense side.

We've got a version her called a "Hop Bomb." Man, you'd think you were sucking on a mouthful of the flowers. :D

Never liked something about the flavor profile of Sam Adams, granted they pack a lot of hoppiness into it, but while hoppy brews do appeal to me, Sam Adams just never floated my boat.

They're beers are what got me into craft beer. Especially their Boston Lager and Cream Stout.

I miss the Smithwick's in Ireland almost as much as I miss my grandmother there. It's close. :lol:

LMOA. I can see why - although I really cannot quite recall what Smithwicks tasted like there, other than it was the best beer I had ever tasted at the time (full disclosure I was 17, but no stranger to beer even then).

switching gears a tad, has anyone ever tried a BerlinerWeissen (Dogfish Head's Festina Peche comes to mind)? they are a totally unique style of beer, and fantastic for summer IMO. Not hoppy, not malty, but sour instead. Yum. I want one now.

First time I had a dark beer, was Yuenglings Black and Tan, I nearly spit it out. :lol: Good thing I bought a 12 pack so I kept trying and eventually got a taste for them.
Prolly how most of us acquired a taste for [any] beer in the first place (and doggone glad we did). :)

Pete's Wicked was discontinued?

It's a brown ale so there should be a host of replacement options. I'm not overly versed on brown ales myself...

Yes, it was.
A day that will live in infamy.
As to brown ale expertise....I'm no expert, but I know what I like.
The search for a replacement continues.

Any style that you DISLIKE?
That's easy - wheats, weizens, hefeweizens, witbiers... all taste like they've spoiled and gone rotten.

I can't stand certain Ambers and most of the herb/spice beers. Also anything made by the Grolsch brewery. Just because the name sounds awful.
You don't like Grolsch? We need to have a talk.... ;)

Prolly how most of us acquired a taste for [any] beer in the first place (and doggone glad we did). :)

A big part of it was finally putting the damned thing in a glass! :lol:

LMOA. I can see why - although I really cannot quite recall what Smithwicks tasted like there, other than it was the best beer I had ever tasted at the time (full disclosure I was 17, but no stranger to beer even then).

switching gears a tad, has anyone ever tried a BerlinerWeissen (Dogfish Head's Festina Peche comes to mind)? they are a totally unique style of beer, and fantastic for summer IMO. Not hoppy, not malty, but sour instead. Yum. I want one now.

I LOVE sour beers. That sounds delicious.

Any style that you DISLIKE?

I can't stand certain Ambers and most of the herb/spice beers. Also anything made by the Grolsch brewery. Just because the name sounds awful.

Lager's (especially american lagers), and Lambic.

Grolsch is one of relatively few lagers that i will put in the somewhat palatable class though.

I dont like Lambic.
Lager's (especially american lagers), and Lambic.

Grolsch is one of relatively few lagers that i will put in the somewhat palatable class though.

They are not easy to find, it is a summer offering from Dogfish, and from what I have been told they only have so much available to go around. the places near me get a couple of kegs and fly through it in very short order from my experience (with a bit of help from me) - its a pity.

I am not sure about other brands or offerings, this is al that I have come across, and even then they call it a pseudo BerlinerWeissen (or something along that line)

edit: I did some quick google investigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_weisse

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/festina-peche.htm

Last edited:
"APB" LOL. But hey, on a hot summer's day when you're out playing beer ball with your buddies, there's nothing better than an ice cold APB from a giant keg in clear plastic cup - which is why I contend the APB was originally crafted. :)

I always liked Oly (skunk piss beer). But being from CO, good ole Coors has been our standard APB.

(Who in their right minds brews beer with rice???)

Yeah, I can get down with the banquet. I used to live in CO for quite some time, moved to Jersey out of curiosity and now I know why it kills cats.

My favorite beer, and what I am convinced to be the greatest beer in the world, is from Fort Collins. Odell's Myrcenary; double IPA. So f'n good. The Mountain Standard Double Black IPA is fantastic as well.

God I miss Colorado.

I've been wanting to get into sour beers, just haven't had the money to really try things out. Plus I'm not really sure which are good and which aren't so good.

Did pick up Sam Adams Thirteenth Hour stout, where they infuse a sour beer called Kosmic Mother Funk(I'm not joking :lol:), so I guess that's dipping my toe in. But I don't really count that.

Any christmas/holiday beer that has nutmeg and cinnamon in it is horrible, IMO. I'd rather toss the salad of an unwashed yak.

How can you not love those?! So good!

That's easy - wheats, weizens, hefeweizens, witbiers... all taste like they've spoiled and gone rotten.

You don't like Grolsch? We need to have a talk.... ;)

I'm thinking you gave up too quickly on wheat beers. The ones you mentioned are 'clove-y' tasting quite often, but other wheat beers are brewed with normal yeast, and dont have that flavor. Try a 312 by Goose Island, or by you, an Easy Street by ODells. I prefer a good dunkelweisen, myself, but they arent as easy to find.

Yeah, I can get down with the banquet. I used to live in CO for quite some time, moved to Jersey out of curiosity and now I know why it kills cats.

My favorite beer, and what I am convinced to be the greatest beer in the world, is from Fort Collins. Odell's Myrcenary; double IPA. So f'n good. The Mountain Standard Double Black IPA is fantastic as well.

God I miss Colorado.
We're still here - plenty of room left (for now).

Boy, I forgot about O'Dell's. Great selection of brews. But if you haven't been out here in awhile, you're really missing out. We've so many quality craft breweries out here it'll make your head spin.

a deeper glance a the dogfish head link gave me this nifty link that might help for you to track some down:

Fish Finder | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

My two beerhouses here that are my go-to's have not had a delivery in the last 60 days, I did find a couple of other leads, now I have a thirst, I might call to see if they have it still.

I'm thinking you gave up too quickly on wheat beers. The ones you mentioned are 'clove-y' tasting quite often, but other wheat beers are brewed with normal yeast, and dont have that flavor. Try a 312 by Goose Island, or by you, an Easy Street by ODells. I prefer a good dunkelweisen, myself, but they arent as easy to find.

I've had one (1) I like, that doesn't have that spoiled rotten taste - Blue Moon. But even that one I can only drink so much of.

At least Blue Moon has given me (I won't call it "hope") the sense that wheat beers may not all have spoiled in the bottle.

Ikari has a good thread about how to brew beer - to which I've subscribed for future reference once I get my operation going again. But I thought it'd fun to talk about what kind of beer you like, or don't like, and why.

There are all kinds, including ales, lagers, wheat (blech), flavored (meh), dark, light, nitrogenated (blech), canned, bottled, tap, kegged... It's all (mostly) good. :thumbs:

Me?

Guinness [Extra] Stout - the carbonated stuff that comes in the bottles, not the flat, uncarbonated swill they call "draught." ("Guinness is good for you"). Best for cold weather drinking.
German Lagers - my favorite is Stiegl, out of Salzburg. Don't much like the imported versions.

... that's a start.

I love a good Sam Adams Boston Lager on tap. Probably my favorite beer, though I drink all beer EXCEPT porters and milk stouts - ew.

I have recently grown quite fond of Dos Equis, though the pretention I feel sometimes overwhelms me and I feel like one of those bitches sitting on the lap of that spanish guy who is apparently the most interesting man in the world.

Any christmas/holiday beer that has nutmeg and cinnamon in it is horrible, IMO. I'd rather toss the salad of an unwashed yak.
Still trying to figure that one out. :D Maybe I don't want to know... :D

Still trying to figure that one out. :D Maybe I don't want to know... :D

instead of nutmeg and cinnamon flavor I would suspect if anything yak salad has a clover flavor from their grazing, Tucker might be able to elaborate further for ya though.

Back
Top Bottom