• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's talk beer

Great thing about being a woman, you can do things the right way without having to worry about being "manly"! :lol:
Yeah, but there are times when "aroma" takes second seat to "let's quaff!" :D

THIS is the latter:

Beer.jpg

I generally like ales more than lagers. Scotch ales, Belgians, Weizens and both Altbier and Kölsches. I do enjoy Pilsners as well. Not that I won't drink stouts, porters or bocks ... they just aren't what I gravitate towards.

Always pour beer into a glass, I NEVER drink it from the bottle. You're missing out on a lot if you don't. It releases the carbonation from the beer, so you'll be able to drink more without it upsetting your stomach. Plus the biggest part is it releases the aroma of the beer, which enhances the flavor greatly.
It's definitely noticeable glass vs bottle. I also tell my friends that they need to let the beer warm a few minutes if it's pulled straight from the fridge. Refridgeration temperature is a few degrees colder than what beer is supposed to be consumed at, and it kills the taste.

The only wheat beer I've been able to stomach thus far is Blue Moon. For some reason, it doesn't have the spoiled taste most wheat beers have. I do like Stella for quaffability on a hot day.
Both are good introductory beers for the Americanbeerwater drinkers into the world of craft brewing. I stopped drinking Blue Moon, Stella and 312 after I found out that they were all owned by AB InBev and Miller Coors.

Yeah, Sam Adams uses a lot of the Noble Hops from Germany so they're a good brewery to get that flavor from. Their Boston Lager and Noble Pils are prime examples of that.

Though I do enjoy American hops a bit more, lots of piney and citrus notes, love Cascade and Mosaic hops.

I agree on Sam Adams, but I prefer the German hops over the citrusy stuff here.

Then that bar, or those bars are screwing the pooch.

I make my own black & tans and/or half & half's.

Never once had a flat can of Draught.
Oh, I agree. Like I told Tucker, the Guinness I had on tap in Harwich, UK was truly an experience worth remembering. :thumbs:

If I didn't need to leave the next morning, I'd probably still be sitting at that little bar in the inn. :D

Was probably more your fault than the beer's though. :lol:

Damned skippy. Warm AND out of the bottle? You know it tastes like **** when you're drunk and you take a sip, gag, and say "Holy ****, that ****'s terrible!" I actually decided to stop drinking. :shock:

I generally like ales more than lagers. Scotch ales, Belgians, Weizens and both Altbier and Kölsches. I do enjoy Pilsners as well. Not that I won't drink stouts, porters or bocks ... they just aren't what I gravitate towards.

It's definitely noticeable glass vs bottle. I also tell my friends that they need to let the beer warm a few minutes if it's pulled straight from the fridge. Refridgeration temperature is a few degrees colder than what beer is supposed to be consumed at, and it kills the taste.

Both are good introductory beers for the Americanbeerwater drinkers into the world of craft brewing. I stopped drinking Blue Moon, Stella and 312 after I found out that they were all owned by AB InBev and Miller Coors.

Depends on the beer, a good lager I don't mind drinking at 35 degree's. But a stout or a porter should be at least 45 before consuming. Stouts preferably at 50-55.

Guinness [Extra] Stout - the carbonated stuff that comes in the bottles, not the flat, uncarbonated swill they call "draught." ("Guinness is good for you"). .

Exact opposite for me.
Guinness in a bar/pub rocks, bottled Guinness....not so much.
I like Gulden Draak a lot, but it's pricey and difficult to find.
While we're on this topic, my everyday beer used to be Pete's Wicked Ale.
It was discontinued a year, or so, ago.
I've been on a tireless quest to find a replacement....hellish work.:)
Sam Adams Oktoberfest is pretty good, Newcastle Brown Ale is so-so.
Any recommendations?

Don't get me wrong, love the German hops, especially the Noble Hops, so tasty. Just really in love with the west coast style IPA's. I can get a bomber of Stone IPA at my Kroger for 4 bucks, so good!

Don't get too excited. The girls over there drink this grapefruit flavored beer called Schofferhofer by the bucket. The bartenders also mix up something called 'Radler' in the summertime with either orange Fanta or lemonade mixed with beer. Radlers are actually pretty good drinking.

Damned skippy. Warm AND out of the bottle? You know it tastes like **** when you're drunk and you take a sip, gag, and say "Holy ****, that ****'s terrible!" I actually decided to stop drinking. :shock:

First time I had a dark beer, was Yuenglings Black and Tan, I nearly spit it out. :lol: Good thing I bought a 12 pack so I kept trying and eventually got a taste for them.

Yeah, Sam Adams uses a lot of the Noble Hops from Germany so they're a good brewery to get that flavor from. Their Boston Lager and Noble Pils are prime examples of that.

Though I do enjoy American hops a bit more, lots of piney and citrus notes, love Cascade and Mosaic hops.
I like Sam Adams. My brother love them.

The problem with imported German beers is that they've been bittered down to atone for American palates. Tried Stiegl's both side-by-side in Salzburg and was shocked at how bad the American export was.

Yeah, we have some really good ones - for the right brews.

Depends on the beer, a good lager I don't mind drinking at 35 degree's. But a stout or a porter should be at least 45 before consuming. Stouts preferably at 50-55.

A good lager?! no such thing. :2razz:

granted some lagers do stand out above the rest, but in those cases it elevates them to "reasonably palatable" standing IMO.

Ikari has a good thread about how to brew beer - to which I've subscribed for future reference once I get my operation going again. But I thought it'd fun to talk about what kind of beer you like, or don't like, and why.

There are all kinds, including ales, lagers, wheat (blech), flavored (meh), dark, light, nitrogenated (blech), canned, bottled, tap, kegged... It's all (mostly) good. :thumbs:

Me?

Guinness [Extra] Stout - the carbonated stuff that comes in the bottles, not the flat, uncarbonated swill they call "draught." ("Guinness is good for you"). Best for cold weather drinking.
German Lagers - my favorite is Stiegl, out of Salzburg. Don't much like the imported versions.

... that's a start.

I'm not sure if there's a style of beer I don't like. It's all relatively great. There are styles I like above others. IPA's.....the IPA is the king of beers. The Double IPA is the God of Beers. I love wheats, from the wits to the wiezens and everything in between. We made our own Wheat Pale Ale, and it's delicious! I like stouts, but probable err more toward the Porter side when I'm in darker beer territory. The cream ales and stouts (nitrogen compressed or otherwise known as draughts) are super delicious.

More than anything, my beer snobbery has brought me into the understanding of serving temperatures. Temperature of the beer is exceptionally important to style, and quite honestly nothing except American Piss Beer should be served ice cold (and I do like me some American Piss Beer, PBR is one of my most consumed beers).

Don't get too excited. The girls over there drink this grapefruit flavored beer called Schofferhofer by the bucket. The bartenders also mix up something called 'Radler' in the summertime with either orange Fanta or lemonade mixed with beer. Radlers are actually pretty good drinking.

Actually those don't sound too bad. :lol: I don't mind the citrusy hops/beers, I just lean more toward the German hops, in general. One of the better beers I've had over the last few years was some tangerine beer that matched up perfectly with a spicy hot peppers wood oven pizza I was eating. I never in a million years thought I'd like a tangerine beer, but it was such a perfect match flavor-wise that it blew me away. the sweet-sour of the beer mixed with the spicy, smokey pizza? Friggin' amazing.

Not a fan of most Sam Adam's stuff. Their Oktoberfest is the only Sam Adams beer I'd buy at this point in time. The rest I wouldn't pay money for.

Now Samuel Smith's beers.... all that I've had have been stellar. The Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout is AWESOME.

There are some very wonderful beers coming out in the USofA these days.

Exact opposite for me.
Guinness in a bar/pub rocks, bottled Guinness....not so much.
I like Gulden Draak a lot, but it's pricey and difficult to find.
While we're on this topic, my everyday beer used to be Pete's Wicked Ale.
It was discontinued a year, or so, ago.
I've been on a tireless quest to find a replacement....hellish work.:)
Sam Adams Oktoberfest is pretty good, Newcastle Brown Ale is so-so.
Any recommendations?
Pete's Wicked was discontinued?

It's a brown ale so there should be a host of replacement options. I'm not overly versed on brown ales myself...

A good lager?! no such thing. :2razz:

granted some lagers do stand out above the rest, but in those cases it elevates them to "reasonably palatable" standing IMO.

Sam Adams Boston Lager ain't no joke! They also recently came out with an IPL,(India Pale Lager) tastes so good. Basically it's an IPA brewed with lager yeast.

That explains it. Directly out of the bottle, the extra stout is less flat, but when poured into a glass, I've always found it to taste flatter.

Both of them are basically ****e compared to what you get on tap in Ireland.

It's the nitrogen that makes it a lot better when on tap. And I am not sure why draft beer tastes so much better in Ireland than it does here, but I agree. This holds true to both Guiness and Smithwick's.

I loved Smithwick's in Ireland (granted this was a LONG time ago), and was elated to see it cross the pond, only to be sorely disappointed with both bottled (expected) and draft.

Not a fan of most Sam Adam's stuff. Their Oktoberfest is the only Sam Adams beer I'd buy at this point in time. The rest I wouldn't pay money for.

Now Samuel Smith's beers.... all that I've had have been stellar. The Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout is AWESOME.

There are some very wonderful beers coming out in the USofA these days.
I love their Oatmeal Stout - you bet.

First time I had a dark beer, was Yuenglings Black and Tan, I nearly spit it out. :lol: Good thing I bought a 12 pack so I kept trying and eventually got a taste for them.

I had already downed about 10 pints of Guinness that night, so it definitely wasn't about it being a dark beer for me. :lol:

Any style that you DISLIKE?

I can't stand certain Ambers and most of the herb/spice beers. Also anything made by the Grolsch brewery. Just because the name sounds awful.

Sam Adams Boston Lager ain't no joke! They also recently came out with an IPL,(India Pale Lager) tastes so good. Basically it's an IPA brewed with lager yeast.

Never liked something about the flavor profile of Sam Adams, granted they pack a lot of hoppiness into it, but while hoppy brews do appeal to me, Sam Adams just never floated my boat.

Lately, I've been partial to heavily hopped beers... IPA's with more oomph, as it were. Even better, an IPA with a heavyhand on the hops on top of a rye base. Thats the kind of beer that actually is so astringent it removes water from your mouth as you drink it.

I have actually run into too heavily hopped beers lately though. Shorts had a couple (local MI brewery reknowned for weird beers. Try their PB and J stout or Bloody Mary beer) that were way too hoppy and unbalanced. Hop Juice (2 Brothers, Chicago) and Hop Stoopid (Lagunitas) are also a bit on the intense side.

Back
Top Bottom