• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's talk about Paul(ianity)

Paradoxical

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Paul was never an apostle. If he is or was, he is number 13. He never met Jesus. All he did was to make unsubstantiated and wild CLAIMS, not unlike the left does today because they adopted almost all of the ruses, chicanery, half-truths, speculations, and outright lies and coercion that Christians used successfully for many decades now. Guilt and fear are the two primary motivations to get and keep believers of ANYTHING, whether that be religion or politics. It works every time. But, I want to discuss in this thread one main problem with what Paul allegedly wrote.

I understand that some disagree as to whether or not Paul was the first writer but I do believe that most serious scholars, Christians included, agree that Paul was the very first. It is difficult to find a coherent argument to refute this most likely scenario. This being the most likely case, what "scripture" could Paul have been referring to when he said that "all Scripture is “God-breathed.” He said it this way: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)

Paul was never an apostle. If he is or was, he is number 13. He never met Jesus. All he did was to make unsubstantiated and wild CLAIMS, not unlike the left does today because they adopted almost all of the ruses, chicanery, half-truths, speculations, and outright lies and coercion that Christians used successfully for many decades now. Guilt and fear are the two primary motivations to get and keep believers of ANYTHING, whether that be religion or politics. It works every time. But, I want to discuss in this thread one main problem with what Paul allegedly wrote.

I understand that some disagree as to whether or not Paul was the first writer but I do believe that most serious scholars, Christians included, agree that Paul was the very first. It is difficult to find a coherent argument to refute this most likely scenario. This being the most likely case, what "scripture" could Paul have been referring to when he said that "all Scripture is “God-breathed.” He said it this way: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)
What would Paul think of someone who cheated on his wife while she was home with their baby?

What would Paul think of someone who cheated on his wife while she was home with their baby?
I remember you. You don't respond to the OP. You are an antagonizer and thread buster. You offer nothing of value or worth but off-topic snipes.

I remember you. You don't respond to the OP. You are an antagonizer and thread buster. You offer nothing of value or worth but off-topic snipes.
Thread buster?

Typically I wouldn't comment about politics in a thread of this category but after seeing your shameless segway into a dem party bash session, it seemed politics was on the table.

"All he did was to make unsubstantiated and wild CLAIMS, not unlike the left does today because they adopted almost all of the ruses, chicanery, half-truths, speculations, and outright lies and coercion that Christians used successfully for many decades now." ~ Paradoxical

Now please stay on topic. What would Paul think of someone who cheated on his wife when she was at home taking care of their baby?

/// "Guilt and fear are the two primary motivations to get and keep believers of ANYTHING, whether that be religion or politics." /// So, based on 'your' posted words, Donald J. Trump uses "guilt and fear" to get his followers and supporters to "believe" in his political agenda and religious world views. Very interesting declaration indeed on your part.

Thread buster?

Typically I wouldn't comment about politics in a thread of this category but after seeing your shameless segway into a dem party bash session, it seemed politics was on the table.

"All he did was to make unsubstantiated and wild CLAIMS, not unlike the left does today because they adopted almost all of the ruses, chicanery, half-truths, speculations, and outright lies and coercion that Christians used successfully for many decades now." ~ Paradoxical

Now please stay on topic. What would Paul think of someone who cheated on his wife when she was at home taking care of their baby?
Wow, you nailed him big time. Good job.

Thread buster?

You seem to have Trump on your mind all the time. My post was not about Trump. It was how the left adopted the identical tactics that Christians used to get and keep followers. Here is the gig.

You come up with a lie that when adopted by the masses will give you power and money or prestige and acclaim
You tell others to repeat the lie, which was done by the apostles, now by mainstream media in Goebbelsian fashion, over and over and over again
You repeat those wild claims AS IF they are true such as a resurrection or Russian Collusion
You banish, shun, denigrate, scorn, and ridicule all those who don't believe (Twitter, FaceBook, and MSM along with the radical left canceling people)
You warn them of doom and danger and death if they don't believe (striking fear) by telling them they will be tortured for eternity (The left warns them of fascism, racism, etc.)
You then hold out the carrot that YOU and all followers are the good and caring people and be rewarded with heaven (For the left they are saving the planet)

Rinse, wash, repeat. It works every time in every belief system.

Now please leave this thread.

You seem to have Trump on your mind all the time.

You seem to have leftists on your mind all the time. That is why you brought them up in a thread about religion. Shame on you.

My post was not about Trump.

No, it was about Paul and democrats.

It was how the left adopted the identical tactics that Christians used to get and keep followers. Here is the gig.

Yeah, I saw that part. That is why I continued with the political angle.

You come up with a lie that when adopted by the masses will give you power and money or prestige and acclaim
You tell others to repeat the lie, which was done by the apostles, now by mainstream media in Goebbelsian fashion, over and over and over again.

What lie?

You repeat those wild claims AS IF they are true such as a resurrection or Russian Collusion.

Russian collusion? Lol, derailing your own thread. Sad.

Ok, I will bite. Russian collusion was a republican investigation. What does that have to do with Dems?

You banish, shun, denigrate, scorn, and ridicule all those who don't believe (Twitter, FaceBook, and MSM along with the radical left canceling people)

I don't use any social media accounts nor do I watch MSM so I do not know what they believe.

Can you please prove your statement?

You warn them of doom and danger and death if they don't believe (striking fear) by telling them they will be tortured for eternity (The left warns them of fascism, racism, etc.)

More examples please. This statement looks like gibberish to me but please feel free to provide examples.

You then hold out the carrot that YOU and all followers are the good and caring people and be rewarded with heaven (For the left they are saving the planet)

I don't have followers so I don't know what you are talking about.

Rinse, wash, repeat. It works every time in every belief system.

Are you a dentist?

Now please leave this thread.
No.

You seem to have leftists on your mind all the time. That is why you brought them up in a thread about religion. Shame on you.

No, it was about Paul and democrats.

Yeah, I saw that part. That is why I continued with the political angle.

What lie?

Russian collusion? Lol, derailing your own thread. Sad.

Ok, I will bite. Russian collusion was a republican investigation. What does that have to do with Dems?

I don't use any social media accounts nor do I watch MSM so I do not know what they believe.

Can you please prove your statement?

More examples please. This statement looks like gibberish to me but please feel free to provide examples.

I don't have followers so I don't know what you are talking about.

Are you a dentist?

No.
If I don't respond to you anymore, you will have no one to harass.

Consider it done.

Paul...my brother...❤️

Paul was never an apostle. If he is or was, he is number 13. He never met Jesus. All he did was to make unsubstantiated and wild CLAIMS,

Wrong!

His claims were not "unsubstantiated."

Jesus Himself, vouched for him.

Acts 9
10 Now there was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”
11 And the Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight, and
inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying,
12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight.”
13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many people about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints in Jerusalem;

14 and here he has authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on Your name.”
15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;
16 for I will show him how much he must suffer in behalf of My name.”

17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that
you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
18 And immediately something like fish scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized;
19 and he took food and was strengthened.

not unlike the left does today because they adopted almost all of the ruses, chicanery, half-truths, speculations, and outright lies and coercion that Christians used successfully for many decades now. Guilt and fear are the two primary motivations to get and keep believers of ANYTHING, whether that be religion or politics. It works every time. But, I want to discuss in this thread one main problem with what Paul allegedly wrote.

:rolleyes:

You better learn how to read - AND UNDERSTAND - the Bible.

Last edited:

Furthermore......

Paul was accepted by the apostles as one of them.

Galatians 2
7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised
8 (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles),
9 and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

2 Peter 3

14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found spotless and blameless by Him, at peace,
15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,

He's inspired by God - just like all the other apostles.

Last edited:
I thought threads about religion were not supposed to have politics in them.

Wrong!

His claims were not "unsubstantiated."

Jesus Himself, vouched for him.

Acts 9
10 Now there was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”
11 And the Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight, and
inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying,
12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight.”
13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many people about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints in Jerusalem;

14 and here he has authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on Your name.”
15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;
16 for I will show him how much he must suffer in behalf of My name.”

17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that
you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
18 And immediately something like fish scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized;
19 and he took food and was strengthened.

:rolleyes:

You better learn how to read - AND UNDERSTAND - the Bible.
Jesus vouched for someone he never met??

Furthermore......

Paul was accepted by the apostles as one of them.

Galatians 2
7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised
8 (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles),
9 and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

2 Peter 3

14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found spotless and blameless by Him, at peace,
15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,

He's inspired by God - just like all the other apostles.
Not all of the ap[ostles liked him and if you check you'll see that the original 12 didn't include Paul. Brother doesn't mean apostle and besides no one knows who wrote the OTHER alleged gospels. The gospel ACCORDING TO is a tip that the person did NOT write it. They were illiterate anyway.

Not all of the ap[ostles liked him and if you check you'll see that the original 12 didn't include Paul. Brother doesn't mean apostle and besides no one knows who wrote the OTHER alleged gospels. The gospel ACCORDING TO is a tip that the person did NOT write it. They were illiterate anyway.

Well of course the original 12 didn't include Paul. Paul was recruited by Jesus AFTER Jesus' death and resurrection.
Paul was accepted by the apostles! The evidence is given to support my claims.

READ THE BIBLE!
....and try to understand what you read.

That's all I've got to say.

Cheers.

Well of course the original 12 didn't include Paul. Paul was recruited by Jesus AFTER Jesus' death and resurrection.

READ THE BIBLE!

Cheers.
This is the delightful Christian attitude I so admire.

READ THE BIBLE!

Cheers.
The Bible was NOT written by the apostles. They were illiterates. In any event, paul was a loon, the kind you see on MSM like Don Lemon, Joy Reid, Katy Tur, and others who got tired of hassling Christians, saw that their movement was gaining steam, and came up with a brilliant idea to CLAIM a vision, that NO ONE corroborated. He jumped on the bandwagon to gain notoriety and acclaim because he had no friends and basically no life. the guy had more sexual hangups than someone in group therapy for 20 years, was ugly, spurned by someone he loved and used Christianity as his springboard to gain the love and attention he so badly craved.

Perhaps it is YOU, my friend, who needs to read something other than a bible that was NOT written by any of the original apostles. here's a link for your further education;

I frequently post that the left and Christians use identical tactics to control dissent. I debated Christians for decades and stopped because they irritate me too much with the sort of dismissive posts that you made, which essentially say "You're stupid if you don't believe what I do and you are therefore a bad person"

A:: you have is a BELIEF not based on facts but on writings of unknown people of 200 years ago at a time when people routinely reported visions and religion was running amok. People believed the earth was the center of the universe and an angry God could destroy humans with the wave of a wand. Christianity is the easiest sell in the world. All you need is a BELIEF to live forever and you are truly special and chosen if you believe as I do.

If you don't, well that;'s unfortunate cause my loving God will torture you for eternity. The left uses identical tactics and today they just cancel people out on Twitter, and Facebook and tell them they can't keep their jobs if they are vaccine non believers.

Paul was never an apostle.
Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through human agency, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),

Romans 1:1
Paul
, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

1 Corinthians 1:1
Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Timothy 2:7
For this I was appointed as a [a]preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Acts 26:12-18
While so engaged, as I was journeying to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, at midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, [b]brighter than the sun, shining around me and those who were journeying with me. 14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ And I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you as a servant and a witness not only to the things in which you have seen Me, but also to the things in which I will appear to you, rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’

1 Corinthians 15:3-10
For I handed down to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

Galatians 2:8
(for He who was at work for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised was at work for me also to the Gentiles),

1 Corinthians 9:1-2
Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? If I am not an apostle to others, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through human agency, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),

Romans 1:1
Paul
, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,

1 Corinthians 1:1
Paul, called as an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

1 Timothy 2:7
For this I was appointed as a [a]preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Acts 26:12-18
While so engaged, as I was journeying to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, at midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, [b]brighter than the sun, shining around me and those who were journeying with me. 14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ And I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you as a servant and a witness not only to the things in which you have seen Me, but also to the things in which I will appear to you, rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’

1 Corinthians 15:3-10
For I handed down to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

Galatians 2:8
(for He who was at work for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised was at work for me also to the Gentiles),

1 Corinthians 9:1-2
Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? If I am not an apostle to others, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
Take that bible and you know what you can do with iot.

I told you Ido not argue scripture that was written after the fact many decades later by UNKNOWN people!

Cry all you want that they were written by the original apostles and I don't care if they were (they weren't). It is still ignorant people writing stuff and zero proof that they were and are accurate or inspired by any "God" (The NT doesn't even make this claim. Not that it would matter)

Your bible knowledge does not impress me. It's like someone posting from Mein Kampf from memory. You have zero proof of when it was written and by whom. If YOu write a book are you gonna title it, "Great cooking recipes, according to The Baron"?

There are so many hate-filled, anti-Christian comments in this thread by the original poster it is difficult to even begin to take it seriously. I will not bother with refuting hate-filled positions, but I will address an assertion made in the original post:

That quote of yours from the bible is in English, more specifically modern English. No one spoke or wrote English 2000 years ago, in fact no one spoke modern English until about 500-600 years ago, and no one spoke the form of modern English we speak now until about 250 years ago. While it varies based on which part of scripture we are talking about, for much of the New Testament our oldest, best surviving copies of very old versions of the text were written in what modern scholars call Koine Greek. This was a sort of "courtly" Greek, used in business, law, diplomacy throughout the Mediterranean from around 300 BC to 600 AD. It was predominant especially in the Eastern Roman Empire--which is where Christianity's earliest churches arose. Latin, which was used primarily in Rome, in the Western Empire, and by Roman leadership was not really used by the people who were early Christian writers, not until many years later.

In the original Koine Greek, the word used in 2 Timothy 3:16 is "γραφη", that is directly translated from Koine Greek to English as "a writing." The word derives from the Koine Greek verb, "γραφω", which essentially translates as "to scratch." Language evolves and changes over time, from the Greek term for "to scratch", people began to use that as the base for their word for "writings" and etc, essentially people would engrave words on stone tablets and clay tablets, and the act of "scratching" eventually evolved into a noun that meant "written text." The word from 2 Timothy, specifically, γραφη, has an even more particular meaning, it actually refers to the meaning behind etchings or scratchings. As an example, the word "γραφη" would be used roughly in a sentence like this, "I really liked the γραφη in his essay." That means you liked the meaning of the writing. The other form, γραμμα, you would use in a sentence like this, "I liked the γραμμα in the letter he sent me." That would be saying you were appreciating the physical marks on the page, i.e. you thought he had good handwriting basically. You can't actually just drop this word in the middle of an English sentence like that, but that's as close as we can get.

Any translator writing an English bible translation has a huge work ahead of them, because you cannot just simply direct translate Koine Greek into English. A direct, word by word translation of 2 Timothy 3:16 from Koine Greek would read this way:

all Classic divinely inspired and profitable toward teaching toward exposure toward - toward lesson the in righteousness
That is literal gibberish in English, because you need to understand cultural context, linguistic context, the dual-meanings and idioms of words as spoken by Greek speakers 2000 years ago. This isn't the work of Google Translate or BabelFish.

To finally get to the point--Paul was not referring to scripture the way a modern English speaker does, which means Holy Christian scripture in the bible. He was essentially referring to old sacred writings more generically, and then more specifically, he was actually referring to a long lost book called The Book of Jannes and Jambres, which you can read more about in various places. It was basically an old Hebrew apocryphal religious text, that still could be found in libraries and such in Paul's time, but which no modern copies survive.

As a further bit of historical evidence for why Paul was almost certainly just using a more generic phrase that would be best interpreted as "Holy writings", and did not mean scripture as modern English speakers say it, is because there was no concept like that in Paul's time--not only just for Christian writings but even for Jewish writings. Much like a modern Christian might use the term "sacred texts" even when talking about something like the Quran, or the Jewish Talmud (sacred texts of sects they do not identify with), that is how Paul was speaking, or writing rather. Remember the context of 2 Timothy is he is writing a letter of instruction to Timothy, who did not grow up Christian or Jewish, he grew up with what we would call pagan sacred texts. I believe Paul was essentially saying that all such texts are divinely inspired in that humans wrote them and scholarship of them can help in your general advancement, but not that they were theologically accurate or that Paul was saying he believed pagan or Jewish writing was the literal word of the Christian God.

In Paul's time, there was not even agreement in the Jewish community with which texts were sacred, other than the Torah, which essentially all Jews agreed were sacred. In that era there were at least six, maybe more, sects of Judaism, some of which held versions of the Torah sacred that no modern Jews acknowledge, some of which held Jewish apocryphal texts to be sacred that no modern Jews identify as sacred. There was nothing even close to Christian "scripture" as we use the term in modern English, in Paul's time. There was no such thing for 400+ years after Jesus was on earth. This is one of my faith's (Orthodox Christian) core disagreements with Christians like Protestants. Protestants delve close to what I would almost call "worship of the bible", instead of worship of Christ. Note, that is my personal "outsider" perspective, I do not question any Protestant's faith in Christ and believe it is never my place to do so. My faith is very Church based and our Church puts tremendous importance on Church teachings and rituals because we believe our Church has maintained and cultivated them for 2000 years. We believe that for first 1500 years or so of our faith, very few people who were Christians could read, but we believe they were fully Christian. We do not believe bible obsession is the only way to be a Christian, or we are saying a huge swathe of the first Christians were not Christian.

I believe that several Protestant theologians and preachers, and you can find their writings on the web talking about 2 Timothy, use this verse to support the Protestant doctrine of Sola Scriptura, which is the basis for "bible believing" Christians who are strongly believe in extreme biblical literalism. Note that both the Orthodox and Catholic churches consider Sola Scriptura, not just schismatic, but genuinely heretical.

Back
Top Bottom