• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

warbaby

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Probably the most common reason for short and long term disability and man/woman hours lost from work.
Locatted behind from last rib down to bottom of sacrum (tail bone). 1. first rule for self treatment: never USE HEAT ON YOUR BACK OR FOR ANY SPINAL PAIN. It feels good when using it but it will prolong the inflamation and may spread pain into the sciatic nerves as well as promoting swellin in and around the involved spinal disc. Use ice over protected skin for 20-30 min every three hours if pain is 5 plus, less frequent if below 5.
Rule 2: moving vs remaining in one position is reccommended, sit 20 min, walk 10min but do not stand still. If you must stand in one place keep one foot on a low object and switch feet, that will reduce pain while standing ( the bar rail principle).
Much more info to come-I need to walk around a bit.

Last edited:
When the sacroiliac joints ( on both sides of the sacrum/tail bone) are painful and underlying pathology has been eliminated a simple treament will often resolve the pain. Sacro-0occipital Technique (SOT_ uses 8x4" wedges which are plaaced under the pelvis/hips while lying on the floor for 30-60 sec. This is a highly effective treatment which can be performed at home. The placement of the wedges depends in the side of the functional short leg. You can fashion wedges by stuffing your sneakers with socks or face towels. To learn how to use this method find a chiropractor who is familiar with The SOT protocol.
Te

I think the biggest contributor to lower back pain is having a weak core.

weak core, and lack of flexibility in the certain muscle groups.

Yes, weakness of core muscles may predispose one to back injury if the stresses exceed the ability of the muscles to stabilize the spine. Strong core muscles, however, must be balanced right to left and front to back to provide stability.

Yes, weakness of core muscles may predispose one to back injury if the stresses exceed the ability of the muscles to stabilize the spine. Strong core muscles, however, must be balanced right to left and front to back to provide stability.

I have had a varied career that required robust physical exertion in some stints.

The various reaching, bending, lifting, squatting, walking and so on things that I did often had their impact on the muscles in my back and heat was great for that.

In my later 50's, back problems started up in my spine and the heat treatments that had worked previously were a disaster and only prolonged the pain. The pain was extreme and unremitting.

Now, the issue is the sciatica. First it was the left hip and leg and more recently the right hip and leg.

My shorter leg is my right one and it seems to have helped me to put a 1/4 inch pad in my right shoe during the day.

I exercise and stretch daily and this seems to be the best response to the condition for me. Without the exercise and stretching which I occasionally miss for two days at a time, the pain returns and resuming the exercise seems to chase it away again.

Mine is upper back pain. They now call it osteo arthritis. There is disintegration of some of the vertibrea around the base of the neck, I can hear a crushed glass sound when I turn my neck.

Although I have always been physically active in sports, hockey, scuba diving, mountain climbing etc., the cause is not physical activity. The cause is having spent so many years hunched over a typewriter pounding out news stories for hourly deadlines, the stress of live broadcasting and later management.

Stress. We as a society don't just sit anymore, like my grandfather did, parked on the front porch doing nothing but saying hello to passersby. He worked hard, manual labour in the depression, and he lived to 88 and not one complaint of back pain

Mine is upper back pain. They now call it osteo arthritis. There is disintegration of some of the vertibrea around the base of the neck, I can hear a crushed glass sound when I turn my neck.

Although I have always been physically active in sports, hockey, scuba diving, mountain climbing etc., the cause is not physical activity. The cause is having spent so many years hunched over a typewriter pounding out news stories for hourly deadlines, the stress of live broadcasting and later management.

Stress. We as a society don't just sit anymore, like my grandfather did, parked on the front porch doing nothing but saying hello to passersby. He worked hard, manual labour in the depression, and he lived to 88 and not one complaint of back pain

Failed biomechanics of the spine result in degeneration of the discs, bone surfaces and bursal tissue. This results from over uses or poor posture or both. Stretching properly to increase spinal motion (gently) may be beneficial to both of you. Slowly remodeling the front to back spinal curves may relieve pain and stiffness.

Failed biomechanics of the spine result in degeneration of the discs, bone surfaces and bursal tissue. This results from over uses or poor posture or both. Stretching properly to increase spinal motion (gently) may be beneficial to both of you. Slowly remodeling the front to back spinal curves may relieve pain and stiffness.

I'm 65. I take naps.

I have no real pain unless I'm stupid enough to try something a 40 year old would do

Oh when first detected in my 30's an internist suggested I build up muscle to protect it. I joined a gym and went from a 42" suit to a 44 tall, and never worried much about it until I tried pruning hedged and trees in my 50's

I used to have a lot of lower back pain, sometimes almost to the point that I couldn't move, but I'm totally back free pain now.

I'm not sure of why, but it's possible that it's because I now workout four days a week, which may have strenghtened my back and/or abs. I also avoid any exercises which tend to put an excess amount of stress on my back, so no deadlifts, squats, etc.

I used to have a lot of lower back pain, sometimes almost to the point that I couldn't move, but I'm totally back free pain now.

I'm not sure of why, but it's possible that it's because I now workout four days a week, which may have strenghtened my back and/or abs. I also avoid any exercises which tend to put an excess amount of stress on my back, so no deadlifts, squats, etc.

Good advice for everyone with low back isssues. Free weight exercises may cause further injury to the lumbar spine and sacral joints. Sit-ups are not recommended. Light weight resistance exeercise builds, maintains tones and the motion involved is very beneficial. I usually only recommend free weight exercise for upper body strictly on a bench.

Doing proper deads and squats helps your back.

Which patients with low back pain benefit from deadlift training? - PubMed - NCBI

i dug this one up instead starting my own thread on it. this whole biped thing is starting to look premature. did the whole "i thought i was standing up to go fold clothes and got this screaming in agony on the floor thing instead" yesterday. today is the delicious soreness and breath halting lightning bolt pain of day one. i generally knit pretty quick, though this one worries me, since it happened less than a month ago, too. i generally go six months to a year between back spasms. i was just getting ready to give the cane back to my father in law. he doesn't need it now. i sure as **** do. i'm in really good physical shape and exercise at least 6/7 days most weeks, but i think that i need to look into the stretching exercises that they teach people with back pain.

i dug this one up instead starting my own thread on it. this whole biped thing is starting to look premature. did the whole "i thought i was standing up to go fold clothes and got this screaming in agony on the floor thing instead" yesterday. today is the delicious soreness and breath halting lightning bolt pain of day one. i generally knit pretty quick, though this one worries me, since it happened less than a month ago, too. i generally go six months to a year between back spasms. i was just getting ready to give the cane back to my father in law. he doesn't need it now. i sure as **** do. i'm in really good physical shape and exercise at least 6/7 days most weeks, but i think that i need to look into the stretching exercises that they teach people with back pain.

You should probably get it looked at, one day I was going to go out on the motorcycle, grabbed my helmet and turned to start out the door and went down like I had been shot. It turned out that I had slipped a vertebra, hurts like hell.

You should probably get it looked at, one day I was going to go out on the motorcycle, grabbed my helmet and turned to start out the door and went down like I had been shot. It turned out that I had slipped a vertebra, hurts like hell.

good advice, for sure. i probably will get it looked at eventually. mine is most likely a muscle spasm, though, and i don't have a bunch of money to throw at our overpriced health care system at the moment.

good advice, for sure. i probably will get it looked at eventually. mine is most likely a muscle spasm, though, and i don't have a bunch of money to throw at our overpriced health care system at the moment.

Well, you would know better than me, but that sounded like it was a little more serious than a muscle spasm.

Well, you would know better than me, but that sounded like it was a little more serious than a muscle spasm.

degenerative back issues run in my family. could be the beginning of that, but probably not. this crap used to happen when i was a kid, too.

degenerative back issues run in my family. could be the beginning of that, but probably not. this crap used to happen when i was a kid, too.

Same here, but it didn't get to be a big deal until I was in my 40's. And I was a jock strapper into my 40's, too, so I was no couch potato, I just chose my parents poorly.

Back
Top Bottom