• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Lets Take Back Congress!

jamespol

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am more conservative then the average democrat, gay person, and teenager... but I want Democrats to retake congress.

Why?

I like the Republicans ideas of Fiscal Responsibility, and Small Government, which is something they have not delievered and that has made me furious at all Republicans, except my absolute favorite Bush (and this is not a joke).

There are a total of 50 competitive house races (33 very competitive and 17 potentially competitive.) Democrats need to make a net-gain of 16 seats to retake the majority. A slim Democratic majority working with a slim Republican minority might be possible!

In the Senate, Democrats need to retake 6 seats to retake control. I believe they can do it. There are two Democratic seats I am concerned about, Nebraska and Minnesota. Ben Nelson of Nebraska is the rare successful Democrat in that radically right-wing state. However polls show him as more popular than Chuck Hagel. I think he will be reelected but we still have to worry since Nebraska Residents vote Republican by reflex! Mark Dayton of MN is a fool. Fortunately he is not running again. Democrats are now running a good canidate, Amy Klobuchar. Hopefully both seats stay Democratic. I am intuitive I do not see any concerned with Bill Nelson of Florida or Joey of Conn.

So where will we get these 6 seats from? Here are a list of 8 seats I think we can get, I listed them from the most likely seat we will pick up to the least likely, but still possible.

1. Pennsylvania- Rick Santorum is toast.
2. Rhode Island- Lincoln Chafee is a RINO, almost absurdly. We can pick up this seat by defeating him, or him changing party.
3. Ohio- The GOP in Ohio is suffering a worse disaster then Hurricane Katrina, but a GOP Hold can not be ruled out here. Hurricane Taft has damaged Ohio GOP!
4. Montana- Conrad Burns. Montana is a rural red state, but Mr. Burns is turning into the popular culture Mr. Burns. The State Auditor of Montana would be a strong canidate against him.
5. Missouri- My State! Jim Talent is a so-so senator. Protrayed as a staunch conservative. I like him. Would perfer his Challenger Claire McKaskil, but wont be heart broken if she loses. Gov. Blunt is very unpopular and Missourians are not to happy with the current climate here. Claire could pull off an upset.
6. Tennessee- Bill Frist is retiring, thank you lord Jesus! Harold Ford could win here. He is an African-American Democrat. His chances depend solely on how conservative the GOP Nominee is. Ed Byrant seems like the narrow front runner! Tennessee is not as GOP as people think. In fact it has many more Democratics in office than my state does. Maybe I should switch Missouri to 6 and this state to 5.
7. Arizona- John Kyl. What has he done? This is a long shot for Democrats but if their is a Democratic wave, it can be felt here. Jim Pederson is well-financed and well liked. He maybe could win.
8. Nevada- Incumbent John Ensign seems in good shape for reelection. However I think a switch COULD happen here. Las Vegas mayor or Jimmy Carters son might pull off an upset I am not sure.

James

Great predictions. You really follow this stuff and I'm glad.

I think we do need a balance in the government. All Democrat control in the early 90's did our country no more good than the last 7 years of republican control has done.

I'm getting a sense that the people are fed-up with the corruption and the economy. I think they are tired of the national debt increasing and the war not focused on terrrorists.

Guess all we can do now is wait and see, huh?

Good insight.. Thanks., jamespol

Give me a reason to vote Democrat. Convince me they have a better plan and explain what it is specifically.

What are the Dems plan for

Iraq
the economy
Social Security
Health Care reform
National Security

What specifically are they planning that is better than the Rep's?

But the fact is the Dems have a long row to how to get congress back and it is not as competitive as you portray it to be at least in the House.

From Prof. Larry Sabato's outlook

Current breakdown: 231 Republicans, 202 Democrats, 1 Independent, 1 vacancy
Current "Dirty Thirty" Outlook: 12 Toss-ups, 12 Lean Republican, 6 Lean Democratic

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...ll/2006/house/

jamespol said:
I am more conservative then the average democrat, gay person, and teenager... but I want Democrats to retake congress.

Why?

I like the Republicans ideas of Fiscal Responsibility, and Small Government, which is something they have not delievered and that has made me furious at all Republicans, except my absolute favorite Bush (and this is not a joke).

There are a total of 50 competitive house races (33 very competitive and 17 potentially competitive.) Democrats need to make a net-gain of 16 seats to retake the majority. A slim Democratic majority working with a slim Republican minority might be possible!

In the Senate, Democrats need to retake 6 seats to retake control. I believe they can do it. There are two Democratic seats I am concerned about, Nebraska and Minnesota. Ben Nelson of Nebraska is the rare successful Democrat in that radically right-wing state. However polls show him as more popular than Chuck Hagel. I think he will be reelected but we still have to worry since Nebraska Residents vote Republican by reflex! Mark Dayton of MN is a fool. Fortunately he is not running again. Democrats are now running a good canidate, Amy Klobuchar. Hopefully both seats stay Democratic. I am intuitive I do not see any concerned with Bill Nelson of Florida or Joey of Conn.

So where will we get these 6 seats from? Here are a list of 8 seats I think we can get, I listed them from the most likely seat we will pick up to the least likely, but still possible.

1. Pennsylvania- Rick Santorum is toast.
2. Rhode Island- Lincoln Chafee is a RINO, almost absurdly. We can pick up this seat by defeating him, or him changing party.
3. Ohio- The GOP in Ohio is suffering a worse disaster then Hurricane Katrina, but a GOP Hold can not be ruled out here. Hurricane Taft has damaged Ohio GOP!
4. Montana- Conrad Burns. Montana is a rural red state, but Mr. Burns is turning into the popular culture Mr. Burns. The State Auditor of Montana would be a strong canidate against him.
5. Missouri- My State! Jim Talent is a so-so senator. Protrayed as a staunch conservative. I like him. Would perfer his Challenger Claire McKaskil, but wont be heart broken if she loses. Gov. Blunt is very unpopular and Missourians are not to happy with the current climate here. Claire could pull off an upset.
6. Tennessee- Bill Frist is retiring, thank you lord Jesus! Harold Ford could win here. He is an African-American Democrat. His chances depend solely on how conservative the GOP Nominee is. Ed Byrant seems like the narrow front runner! Tennessee is not as GOP as people think. In fact it has many more Democratics in office than my state does. Maybe I should switch Missouri to 6 and this state to 5.
7. Arizona- John Kyl. What has he done? This is a long shot for Democrats but if their is a Democratic wave, it can be felt here. Jim Pederson is well-financed and well liked. He maybe could win.
8. Nevada- Incumbent John Ensign seems in good shape for reelection. However I think a switch COULD happen here. Las Vegas mayor or Jimmy Carters son might pull off an upset I am not sure.

James

1) How on earth do you like Bush but hate Congressional Republicans if you like fiscal responsibility and small government?

2) Minnesota - Dem Senate seat up for grabs. Last poll, Kennedy (R) is down by 3 points.
3) Ohio - Dewine (R) is up by 9 points. There goes that pickup.
4) NJ - Dem senate seat up for grabs. Last poll, Kean (R) is down by 3 points.
5) FL - Dem senate seat up for grabs. Last poll, Harris (R) was down by 9 just after getting rep support and was climbing steadily.
6) Montana - Burns still has a >50% favorable rating, Dems are new yet, as abramoff allegation settles down, the challenge will fall away.
7) Missouri - Talent is picking up a lead, leads McCaskill by 5%
8) Washington - Dem seat up for grabs. Cantwell (D) has seen her favorable rating drop to just 50 and her unfavorable climb to 41% while her challenger has a 43% fav - 29% unfav ratio, leaving lots of room for growth.
9) MD - While Chafee may be a RINO, he still has a 7 point lead over one challenger and a 12 point lead over the other. Not too worried yet.
10) AZ - In the last poll, Kyl had a TWENTY point lead. Not exactly a worry yet.
11) NV - Harry Reid has pledged not to campaign against Ensign. No hope for dems there.

It's really not that close. Dems will gain a bit, perhaps, but both houses are safely in Rep hands.

And a poll last year showed Kerry ahead of Bush.

A Poll shows Bush with a 34% approval rating.

Which neither are true. Bush is a wonderful President. He is just a scapegoat.

I do not care what polls say. The only poll that matters is the poll taken on Novemeber 7th, 2006.

There is plenty of time for more scandals to occuer. According to the Onion, Bush created a cabinet-level office to coordinate scandals. :mrgreen:

I do not care if the Democrats have no ideas, the Republicans have terrible ideas... the GOP has become a party of gay-bashing, budget decifits, and whimps. Those 55 senate republicans are a bunch of whimps if they can not get their agenda passed over 44 senate democrats.

Notice I put Nevada at 7 and 8... meaning it is POSSIBLE, but unlikely.

Last edited:
In 2004 The Republican Congressional Campaign Platform was banning gay marriage.

This year I heard something that their campaign platform will be banning gay adoption.

So what are yall going to campaign on in 2008? Gay Voting Rights???

And keep this in mind.... it does not matter what the public wants.. it all depends on which seats are up, and how big the state is.

In 2004 Senate Democrats recieved 44,754,618 votes, compared to Senate Republicans earning 39,920,562 votes. But the GOP still made a net gain of 4 seats.

Now the data shows that the House Elections gave a bare majority to the Republicans.

Again, Polls dont matter. I do not listen to no polls.. I believe the Poll taken on November 7th, 2006 will be the most accurate.

Republicans are dead in the water. Katrina showed us the Republicans don't have anything to say that anyone wants to hear anymore.

jamespol said:
Which neither are true. Bush is a wonderful President. He is just a scapegoat.

There is about 29% of the population that will be pro-Bush no matter what. It's pretty much the same 29% that continually called for Clinton's impeachement.

The only thing that could turn them would be for Bush to be caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy.

With the current state of affairs, Democrats taking back either house or senate is impossible at this moment...

Republicans are screwing up, because they're the only party doing anything right now..

You can't make mistakes if you don't do anything. :lol:

Stinger said:
Give me a reason to vote Democrat. Convince me they have a better plan and explain what it is specifically.

What are the Dems plan for

Iraq
the economy
Social Security
Health Care reform
National Security

What specifically are they planning that is better than the Rep's?

But the fact is the Dems have a long row to how to get congress back and it is not as competitive as you portray it to be at least in the House.

From Prof. Larry Sabato's outlook

Current breakdown: 231 Republicans, 202 Democrats, 1 Independent, 1 vacancy
Current "Dirty Thirty" Outlook: 12 Toss-ups, 12 Lean Republican, 6 Lean Democratic

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...ll/2006/house/

Hmmm I skipped over your post... Let me tell you there plan:

For one, what have Republicans gotten accomplished in the past 5 years????? Democrats at least accomplished a few things: whine, bitch, complain, threaten, filibuster, etc.

2004 the Campaign issue was gay marriage, 2006 gay adoption, so I guess in 2008 it will be gay voting rights for the Republicans....

For the Democrats here are there plan:
With a Democratic Senate and President Bush things will go great!

Iraq: Cut and Run
the Economy: Republicans have created the largest decifit ever! Democrats plan is to raise taxes through the roof.
Social Security: Raise Taxes to keep in intact, while creating more dependence on it.
Health Care Reform: we need some sort of state-universal health care system. Come on, even religious zealots get sick sometimes.
National Security: See Iraq

I am making fun of both parties in 1 post !

jamespol said:
Hmmm I skipped over your post... Let me tell you there plan:

For one, what have Republicans..................

I asked you specificall what Democrats plan to do, why I should vote FOR Democrats not why I should vote AGAINST Republicans.

2004 the Campaign issue was gay marriage, 2006 gay adoption, so I guess in 2008 it will be gay voting rights for the Republicans....

So what is the Democrat plan?

For the Democrats here are there plan:
With a Democratic Senate and President Bush things will go great!

Iraq: Cut and Run

The Democrat plan is to cut and run, well that won't win.

the Economy: Republicans have created the largest decifit ever! Democrats plan is to raise taxes through the roof.

Raising taxes isn't going to win.

Social Security: Raise Taxes to keep in intact, while creating more dependence on it.

Again raising taxes isn't going to win

Health Care Reform: we need some sort of state-universal health care system. Come on, even religious zealots get sick sometimes.

You like FEAM, you'll love National Health care, again that isn't going to win.

National Security: See Iraq

See Iraq

I am making fun of both parties in 1 post !

So you can't give me a good reason to vote Democrat.

Cookie Parker said:
Great predictions. You really follow this stuff and I'm glad.

I think we do need a balance in the government. All Democrat control in the early 90's did our country no more good than the last 7 years of republican control has done.

I'm getting a sense that the people are fed-up with the corruption and the economy. I think they are tired of the national debt increasing and the war not focused on terrrorists.

So why should I vote Democrat when it comes to the economy and fighting terrorism?

Stinger said:
So why should I vote Democrat when it comes to the economy and fighting terrorism?

You know, the more and more I think about it, this is really the most pertinent question for this fall and probably for 08. As easy as it is to get caught up in arguing about chances in individual races or things like Katrina, Iraq, corruption, etc, the question comes back to "Why one rather than the other?"

Bush, for all his faults, has never had a problem with this question. He offers a plan that some love, some hate, but all have an opinion on. The dems might be able to win in the polls, or perhaps even win an election or two simply running as the opposition party, but if they want to maintain long-term viability, they need to come out with a plan.

Supposedly they've got a party platform coming out soon, here's hoping there's something in it, for their sake anyways.

I will say this:

In 2006 Elections it is ASHAME voters have to chose to vote for either the party of bad ideas (Republicans) or No Ideas (Democrats).

I am a Bush Supporter BTW.

RightatNYU said:
Supposedly they've got a party platform coming out soon, here's hoping there's something in it, for their sake anyways.

Remember when Kerry, last fall, said they were still thinking it up? Amazing. And Pelosi promised on in January, still waiting.

Billo_Really said:
Republicans are dead in the water. Katrina showed us the Republicans don't have anything to say that anyone wants to hear anymore.

Dear Billo_Really, .....Katrina did not show anything except an effort by the media to work on behalf of the democrats.

As a matter of fact it has been the media involved with trying to besmirch Bush, & GOP from the get go with the collusion of their democratic party fellow ideologues.

Yeah sure, .."why the media simply reports news at it happens".....& IF you continue to believe that crap, ..I'll sell you a gold plated nose picker too!:2razz:

The repubs are NOT dead in the water in spite of EVERY effort to villainize them, & Bush by the media, & the democratic party!

My dear Billo_, Billo_, ....when are you ever going to learn to stop believing your "Liberal" collected "tainted" poll data?? It is only put out there in a vain attempt to influence people to hate Bush, & the GOP!

I ALREADY PREDICTED, & YOU CAN HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE TO MY PREDICTIONS that the democrats "might" pick up some new seats, ..but they WILL NOT take over the majority in either house.

WHY: ...because the modern democratic party, & the media is living in a "false" reality state of their own by falsley assuming things that are not, ..only because they WISH they were!

And they are erring in what the REAL MAINSTREAM MAJORITY believes as "important", ..& trust me when I tell you, ..it is hardly "any" damn thing that liberals, & the democratic party has to offer them!

And furthermore, ...08' presidential outcome is not going to make the democratic party feel any better either.:2wave:

In fact...when the democrats LOSE that election, ..I'm kinda looking forward to what new "conspiracy, & plot" the democrats will charge the republicans with in supposidly "fixing" that election!!:smile:

Last edited:
Take back congress from who? What purpose would there be in takening it back?

Sadly most americans don't understand the issues or the problems that the congress or senate face each day. Seldom do we watch what is going on in congress like we watch what is happening on 'American Idol'.

Both parties know this and it is just a game to see who will be in power next. Each member of congress is controlled by ideas that many times they don't believe but are forced to promote because it is the polictical platform of their party. In many cases it is just the opposite belief as compared to the other party.

Unfortunately when elections are over they go back to their offices and begin to entertain the rich and powerful. By doing so they invite the influence of those individuals into their ideals. So they are disconnected from the real issues and lost in a malasie of polictical games that take them away from ideas supported by their constituents.

I believe that it is time for a third party to arise and begin to create a new atmosphere in the congress and senate. By having a third party there would be a need for compromise as each party would have to work together to achieve success. The barriers that each party has created to maintain its base would be lowered and ideas would be exchanged that would be more benificial to the public in general. Only a few members from a third party would have to be present to create that effect.

Back
Top Bottom