• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's settle the "masks reduce my oxygen" nonsense right here

I have a deviated septum, and I have a very hard time breathing in a mask.

I do too - oddly I've learned when it's a problem to breath through my mouth. Try it out sometime. Might work for you, too, and you can do it right through that thin mask!

Has a doctor specifically told you not to wear a mask?

@Deuce and Jasper

I still wear one when I go into stores, restaurants, etc., but it's a huge relief when I'm back outside and can take the mask off.

It definitely affects the amount of oxygen you're taking in.

Last edited:

My husband has a deviated septum too and severe obstructive sleep apnea which it contributes to. He doesn't like wearing a mask in the supermarket or Walmart but he does. It's uncomfortable, it's warm, he hates it, but he wears it. He knows that being uncomfortable for the 45 minutes or hour that it takes to get things done in the stores is not a big sacrifice to stay well and not die from Covid-19. Masks are the absolute, undeniable reason why my state is right down at the very bottom of the scale when only a few months ago we were soaring right up there with NY.

It has been worth it all to stop the infection rates in my state, to be a little less comfortable for one hour.

For women, there are perks to wearing a mask. I haven't worn foundation on my face or lipstick since last February. I've saved a ton of money and my skin looks great.

Masks are the absolute, undeniable reason why my state is right down at the very bottom of the scale when only a few months ago we were soaring right up there with NY.
How is the weather in your state right now? If it's comfortable to go outside, that could be the real reason your state's numbers are so low.

L. A. has had strict mask requirements for months, nothing's getting any better, it's still getting worse. The weather down there is extremely hot, many people stay inside in the AC

@Deuce and Jasper

I still wear one when I go into stores, restaurants, etc., but it's a huge relief when I'm back outside and can take the mask off.

It definitely affects the amount of oxygen you're taking in.

It actually doesn't but I understand you might not like wearing a mask. Those are different things...

If you have other problems breathing, that's also different. But very often I can't breath through my nose at all, and I am fairly certain I can breath through my mouth, through a mask, just about as easily as through my nose and/or mouth. Same way I do when I bike or run or other exercise.

Last edited:
The short version is reddit apparently has banned the page you linked to cause t'aint working.

The problem is the name of the forum is "r/next[fword]inglevel" with the f word spelled out. DP converts that to "r/next****inglevel."

Jasper, it's harder to breathe lol.

I'm not hallucinating it. :lamo

Yes, if you put a barrier in front of your mouth, no matter how thin, it's 'harder to breath.' Stick with that and you'll be OK.

Link doesn't work. Are we talking specifically about oxygen or total volume?

There are two links that you should watch. The first has the doctor explain by using standard equipment how his heart rate and oxygen saturation in his blood are not affected by the air intake while wearing a mask. He has a great snarky comment at one point.

The second link is, what I believe to be, what the poster was referring to, wearing 6 masks, using the same equipment to debunk the theory that masks impede air flow. He doesn't really explain it as it is explained in the first link, but it is the same experiment...albeit with 6 masks instead of one.

Side note: if our troops can wear even thicker masks for hours at a time during combat operations....you can wear a much thinner one for the few minutes you are in a store. Wear the damn mask!

'Stop being selfish': NHS doctor shows how masks do not affect breathing - YouTube

COVID-19: Doctor wears six face masks to debunk oxygen deprivation myth - YouTube

The short version is reddit apparently has banned the page you linked to cause t'aint working.

There are two links that you should watch. The first has the doctor explain by using standard equipment how his heart rate and oxygen saturation in his blood are not affected by the air intake while wearing a mask. He has a great snarky comment at one point.

The second link is, what I believe to be, what the poster was referring to, wearing 6 masks, using the same equipment to debunk the theory that masks impede air flow. He doesn't really explain it as it is explained in the first link, but it is the same experiment...albeit with 6 masks instead of one.

Side note: if our troops can wear even thicker masks for hours at a time during combat operations....you can wear a much thinner one for the few minutes you are in a store. Wear the damn mask!

'Stop being selfish': NHS doctor shows how masks do not affect breathing - YouTube

COVID-19: Doctor wears six face masks to debunk oxygen deprivation myth - YouTube

There are two links that you should watch......'

.........'Stop being selfish': NHS doctor shows how masks do not affect breathing - YouTube

Thanks, these titles seem to match up. :coffeepap

For some, this should make viewing them easier.

:peace

How is the weather in your state right now? If it's comfortable to go outside, that could be the real reason your state's numbers are so low.

L. A. has had strict mask requirements for months, nothing's getting any better, it's still getting worse. The weather down there is extremely hot, many people stay inside in the AC

It's not even 8 am and it's already 81 degrees with 50% humidity. It wouldn't matter to me if it was 98 degrees because I don't wear my mask when I'm outdoors. And with a heat wave I'm rarely outdoors. I don't think that many people do any outdoor activities in such heat.

I keep a mask in my car and if I go somewhere I always have it ready to put on if I'm going to enter any store or go pick up take-out food. It's not a big deal.

The bottom line here is that there is absolutely no excuse not to wear a mask. My son left L.A. two weeks ago and he said there were a lot of people not wearing mask. That's what happens when EVERYONE isn't on the same page.

Have you tried on a ventilator? I have horrible sinuses but there is no way I would go out into public at this point and not wear a mask. I'll deal with it being uncomfortable if it helps to keep me off a ventilator.

Have you tried on a ventilator? I have horrible sinuses but there is no way I would go out into public at this point and not wear a mask. I'll deal with it being uncomfortable if it helps to keep me off a ventilator.

My husband has horrible sinus problems and guess what? He can still breathe through his mouth, even with a mask on. Does he like it? No of course not. Does he complain? Yes, he does. But for his own safety and that of others, he wears a mask! There is simply NO EXCUSE not to wear a mask.

I was manager of a home respiratory company, I've seen patients vented. It is not something that any of us ever want to see happen to any of our loved ones or ourselves.

As far as I'm concerned people who don't wear a mask might as well be wearing a t-shirt that says **** you.

My husband has horrible sinus problems and guess what? He can still breathe through his mouth, even with a mask on. Does he like it? No of course not. Does he complain? Yes, he does. But for his own safety and that of others, he wears a mask! There is simply NO EXCUSE not to wear a mask.

Even with stories about people who claimed their 'right' to go to a bar and not wear a mask and dying a month later means nothing to some folks. It's astonishing.

Back
Top Bottom