• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Let's save Social Security

ChipotlesFanatic

Reaction score
I'm glad that at least Bush is talking about Social Security. As for the Democrats who say that Social Security is NOT in trouble... need I remind them that in the mid 90's they were saying the exact opposite? Yes, this does need to be fixed. Bush has a plan (which can be found at www.progressforamerica.com) now I'm not saying that we all just sign off on his plan and hope it works. I'm suggesting that Democrats and Republicans start talking together about how to fix the issue, instead of denying that it is one. This is a great oppurtunity to us all. Think about the implications that a bi- partisan reform might have:
First of all, the program would get a much needed update
But even more important, it could help bring respect to our politicians and our political system. Our civil servants have a chance to go from an (unfair?) image of self serving, squabbling jerks to men and women who are willing to sit down, work on the issues, and support a better america.

Indeed. Not unlike what McCain said today:

Source: DenverPost.com
At Bush's side in Denver was Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, who said private accounts "aren't the answer" to Social Security insolvency, but rather "the link to the future."

McCain chastised congressional Democrats for not aiming for a bipartisan solution, and he derided the national senior lobby for cheating younger generations.

"If you don't like our solution, give us one. Sit down and join us in this debate. Don't block it," McCain said, addressing AARP, the nation's leading organization for seniors, which is fighting private accounts.

Welcome to Debate Politics! :)

welcome.gif

Our civil servants have a chance to go from an (unfair?) image of self serving, squabbling jerks to men and women who are willing to sit down, work on the issues, and support a better america.
I agree, ChipotlesFanatic. The just say NO party doesn't seem willing to even discuss it, so I am not sure if we can make any progress, but it would be worth a shot. :)

I missed the news on McCain yesterday, but it's good to hear that someone in politics has the same idea I do. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom