• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's put this one to bed. TAXES.

There should be NO taxes at all.

• Total voters

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Quite simple. Many here seem to think that objections to high taxes or expressing a desire to see lower taxes means that a person thinks there should be NO taxes.

Let's find out who, if indeed anyone, actually thinks there should be NO taxes.

Responses are public.

Quite simple. Many here seem to think that objections to high taxes or expressing a desire to see lower taxes means that a person thinks there should be NO taxes.

perhaps a real anarchist but not me

I am fully in favor of use taxes

perhaps a real anarchist but not me

I am fully in favor of use taxes

What about taxes for things that you do not directly use?

Ie interstate freeways in other states, the military etc

What about taxes for things that you do not directly use?

Ie interstate freeways in other states, the military etc

gasoline taxes are what funds highways these days

the problem is too many people have representation with out taxation

we need to get rid of the system that allows the many to increase tax rates on the minority that already pays most of the taxes.

that is the most pernicious problem currently when it comes to taxes.

How did you come to this conclusion?

How did you come to this conclusion?

What, that many people here seem to think that? Mostly because they've expressed such thoughts on numerous occasions.

So there are posts with people saying 'I want lower taxes' without bitching about some demonic marxist megastate and the droves of indigent poor leeching off of their fortunes and people go mad screaming 'anarchist' at completely reasonable arguments for lower taxes?

gasoline taxes are what funds highways these days

the problem is too many people have representation with out taxation

we need to get rid of the system that allows the many to increase tax rates on the minority that already pays most of the taxes.

that is the most pernicious problem currently when it comes to taxes.

That would of course be in your opinion

It is your opinion that people not paying in taxes for all the services they get from the government is the problem regarding taxation in the US, that people can vote to increase spending without having to pay for it. That does not mean it is in fact the most perniciouss problem when it comes to taxes

Last edited:

Responses are public.

I do not think anyone is in favor of no taxes. Highways,schools, police and fire department, prisons to house inmates, military to defend our country and many other things got to be paid for somehow. The issue is how much should someone pay and how those taxes should be collected. I would like to see income taxes abolished and replaced with a national sales tax.

So there are posts with people saying 'I want lower taxes' without bitching about some demonic marxist megastate and the droves of indigent poor leeching off of their fortunes and people go mad screaming 'anarchist' at completely reasonable arguments for lower taxes?

Yep.

Or, more simply:

"Taxes should be lower."

"IF YOU WANT POLICE AND ROADS AND SCHOOLS YOU HAVE TO CONTRIBUTE!!!!!!!"

So why do you take that as an argument that you are anarchist rather than an argument that THE INFRASTRUCTURE IS UNSUSTAINABLE AT YOUR PREFERRED TAX RATE AND HAS BEEN ROTTING FOR A DECADE!

I doubt such ridicule derives from a perception that conservatives/libertarian believe there should be no taxes. Rather, it is a parody of how, in situations where increasing taxes is on the table, conservatives/libertarians almost always take the other side.

Last edited:
So why do you take that as an argument that you are anarchist rather than an argument that THE INFRASTRUCTURE IS UNSUSTAINABLE AT YOUR PREFERRED TAX RATE AND HAS BEEN ROTTING FOR A DECADE!

Mostly because that's not what they said. :shrug:

That would of course be in your opinion

Others would way providing excess benifits or providing them in ways that promote staying on them rather then ecouraging those on them to improve their lot would be a bigger issue regarding taxes and their uses

that doesn't make any sense. read it again and modify it please

I doubt such ridicule derives from a perception that conservatives/libertarian believe there should be no taxes. It parodies how, in situations where increasing taxes is on the table, conservatives/libertarians almost unconditionally take the other side.

No, indeed, there have been many quite earnest statements to the effect that we think there should be NO taxes, and they were not parodies.

Anyone who's argued for lower taxes can attest to this.

No, indeed, there have been many quite earnest statements to the effect that we think there should be NO taxes, and they were not parodies.

Earnestness is pretty subjective over the Internet. It is difficult to know anything about conservatives/libertarians and believe they would affirm a belief in no taxes, and people on this forum know conservatives well enough to be aware that few of them would say, "No taxes whatsoever."

Anarchy is basically a left-wing philosophy.

Last edited:

constantly

the class warfare jihadists constantly claim i don't want to pay any taxes

in reality I only want to pay my fair share based on what I use and my share of common benefits. In other words, I should pay far less than I do since I don't get any additional de jure benefits for facing a de jure much higher tax bill than most voters

Earnestness is pretty subjective over the Internet. It is virtually impossible to know anything about conservatives/libertarians and believe they would openly affirm a belief in no taxes, and people on this forum know conservatives well enough to be aware that few of them would say, "No taxes whatsoever."

Don't believe it happens if it makes you feel better. But those of us who argue for lower taxes know all too well that it does.

Compared over the last 30 years how do the effective tax rates (federal government) today compare?

Are the effective tax rates over the various income groups higher or lower then they were in the 80s 90s or 00's

constantly

the class warfare jihadists constantly claim i don't want to pay any taxes

in reality I only want to pay my fair share based on what I use and my share of common benefits. In other words, I should pay far less than I do since I don't get any additional de jure benefits for facing a de jure much higher tax bill than most voters

You do benifit though from the increased social stability that progressive tax rates, and social spending has provide the US over the last 70 years or so.

The implied equivocation has been made multiple times.
I certainly gets annoying.

That, of course, is another whole can of worms.

But you don't need to be a libertarian to want lower taxes.

You do benifit though from the increased social stability that progressive tax rates, and social spending has provide the US over the last 70 years or so.

prove that and prove that progressive tax rates cause that.

I call total BS.

America was pretty stable before we had this nonsense

and tell me-what is to stop the rates going higher and higher and higher when those of us who pay most of the taxes cannot outvote those whose votes are bought by appeals to getting government goodies paid for by others

Back
Top Bottom