• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lets put this into some perspective..

Hicup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
435 seats in the house.
100 seats in the senate.

Dems picked up 29 seats, or roughly 8.5% of the House.
GOP picked up 4 seats, or roughly 4% of the Senate

Dems now control 230 seats in the House, or roughly 51.5% of the majority.
GOP now control 54 seats in the Senate, or 54% of the majority, less the VP vote.

GOP still controls the majority of State Governorships, and Legislatures.
GOP holds the Presidency, and now control the Supreme Court (although I'd argue that conservatives control the supreme court to be more accurate, but it was GOP that appointed them, so..)

I'd say, Trump has an opportunity here, something Obama refused to do, (Remember, "you lost, we won"..President Obama to Mitch McConnel) which is actually make a real attempt to fix some of the more pressing needs in this country. Can he, will he, will the Dems allow it, or will they take on the same attitude as their former leader? I suspect the latter, but hope for the former.

In any event, the country is divided politically, and it's close, real close! Both party's need to realize this! The amount of BS from either party directed at the other instead of doing their jobs, is razor thin, and they ought to know this, and get down to work!

Thoughts?

Tim-

Don't count on the House Dem leadership to get to any work...except the work of trying to punish Trump. They've already indicated that's their objective.

Likely will be hyperpartisan nonsense, as per usual. The GOP pulled the same stunt when they controlled Congress under Obama.

Likely will be hyperpartisan nonsense, as per usual. The GOP pulled the same stunt when they controlled Congress under Obama.

It didn't help that Obama's first statement out of the gate was I won you lost.
yea that shows a really working together attitude.

435 seats in the house.
100 seats in the senate.

GOP now control 54 seats in the Senate, or 54% of the majority, less the VP vote.

GOP holds the Presidency, and now control the Supreme Court (although I'd argue that conservatives control the supreme court to be more accurate, but it was GOP that appointed them, so..)

I'd say, Trump has an opportunity here, something Obama refused to do, (Remember, "you lost, we won"..President Obama to Mitch McConnel) which is actually make a real attempt to fix some of the more pressing needs in this country. Can he, will he, will the Dems allow it, or will they take on the same attitude as their former leader? I suspect the latter, but hope for the former.

In any event, the country is divided politically, and it's close, real close! Both party's need to realize this! The amount of BS from either party directed at the other instead of doing their jobs, is razor thin, and they ought to know this, and get down to work!

Thoughts?

Tim-

trump needs to be pro-active and force them into issues like he has done before.

IE push to make the tax custs permanent for middle income workers.
next push his infrastructure bill.

those are 2 big things that he can push right now that will put them on their heals.
and he can prep some of that stuff in the senate.

I mean "I won, you lost" has pretty much been what the Trumpeteers have been spouting since the start as well. So, same **** different party is all.

If you did not see the POTUS remarks/presser today, 7NOV18, take a look, that’s what you are going to see for the next two years, unless “collusion.”

435 seats in the house.
100 seats in the senate.

Thoughts?

Tim-

My primary thought now, just as it has been for the past 50 or so years, is that the states need to get back to where THEY, not the federal government, is the primary problem solver. If we try 50 ways to solve the "problems" we have and 49 of those attempts fail but one succeeds we're still heading in the right direction. If we rely on the federal government to solve all our problems we've got one possible solution and no backup plans. If the "fix" doesn't work we're still at square one. Why would we choose to handle things that way? It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
435 seats in the house.blah blah
Democrats won control of the House. That was biggest change, trying to perspective it away makes your post look absurd.

Lies. Republicans had the House and Senate and Presidency...why didn't they make a real attempt to fix pressing needs in the U.S. when in full control? Because Republicans are full of ****. They passed tax cuts for the wealthy, their #1 and only real priority. Enjoy!

Republicans lost the House, and are suddenly all "oh let's be friends". It's cute, it really is. Fortunately Democrats will be the better people. However, we'll need to see a change in Trump/Republican behavior, to warrant such kumbaya.

How about we investigate Republicans for all the things the Republican House blocked for 2 years, and see what Mueller found, see how well Trump behaves towards our DOJ and legit investigations, and if he behaves, and isn't evidenced to be more of a criminal than he already appears to be...maybe they can work on some stuff.

Trump can't, and won't behave though, and therein lies your problem.

Democrats won control of the House. That was biggest change, trying to perspective it away makes your post look absurd.

Lies. Republicans had the House and Senate and Presidency...why didn't they make a real attempt to fix pressing needs in the U.S. when in full control? Because Republicans are full of ****. They passed tax cuts for the wealthy, their #1 and only real priority. Enjoy!

Republicans lost the House, and are suddenly all "oh let's be friends". It's cute, it really is. Fortunately Democrats will be the better people. However, we'll need to see a change in Trump/Republican behavior, to warrant such kumbaya.

How about we investigate Republicans for all the things the Republican House blocked for 2 years, and see what Mueller found, see how well Trump behaves towards our DOJ and legit investigations, and if he behaves, and isn't evidenced to be more of a criminal than he already appears to be...maybe they can work on some stuff.

Trump can't, and won't behave though, and therein lies your problem.

republican won the senate by a larger margin in a supposed blue wave.
democrats can't do anything without the senate.

nor do they control the presidency so they have 0 leverage there.
if they want to actually do something they will have to play nice.

The Democrats have a real opportunity to show the voters they can pass meaningful bills. Using the new found majority to impeach Trump first and foremost will end up showing the voters that NEITHER party is interested in legislating items like healthcare care or infrastructure. In addition, if flipping the Senate is the next step in 2020, it would behoove the House to present viable legislation, even if the other house votes it down.

republican won the senate by a larger margin in a supposed blue wave.
democrats can't do anything without the senate.

nor do they control the presidency so they have 0 leverage there.

That goes both ways - which is why this is actually a good outcome. You guys just need to pressure "your sides" to get to work and cooperate, instead of messing around on your dime, getting everyone riled up. Do politicians still listen to citizens, I wonder?

Don't count on the House Dem leadership to get to any work...except the work of trying to punish Trump. They've already indicated that's their objective.

Oversight of the Executive is a major job given the House and one that has been sorely neglected. But don't worry there will be no more Benghazi hearings.or votes to repeal the ACA :lol: Democrats will stick to REAL corruption and abuse of power.

Didn’t help that republicans first declaration was to oppose obama at every step.

My primary thought now, just as it has been for the past 50 or so years, is that the states need to get back to where THEY, not the federal government, is the primary problem solver. If we try 50 ways to solve the "problems" we have and 49 of those attempts fail but one succeeds we're still heading in the right direction. If we rely on the federal government to solve all our problems we've got one possible solution and no backup plans. If the "fix" doesn't work we're still at square one. Why would we choose to handle things that way? It doesn't make any sense.

This one statement sums up what it means to be a Republican Conservative, ironically, it also can apply to Democrats, if they want it to be. They used to be for this. It's very clear this is how the Founding Fathers wanted the republic set up.

Tim-

The Democrats have a real opportunity to show the voters they can pass meaningful bills. Using the new found majority to impeach Trump first and foremost will end up showing the voters that NEITHER party is interested in legislating items like healthcare care or infrastructure. In addition, if flipping the Senate is the next step in 2020, it would behoove the House to present viable legislation, even if the other house votes it down.

While I agree that impeachment would be a waste of time we will have to see what Mueller's report says before it is ruled out. As far as meaningful bills being passed, that depends on Trump's ability to compromise and deliver the votes to avoid a filibuster and pass in the Senate. I am not very optimistic that he can do that.

Oversight of the Executive is a major job given the House and one that has been sorely neglected. But don't worry there will be no more Benghazi hearings.or votes to repeal the ACA :lol: Democrats will stick to REAL corruption and abuse of power.

Oversight is a responsibility of both the House and the Senate. But their most important duty is legislation. Seems the House Dems don't agree.

So it goes...

That goes both ways - which is why this is actually a good outcome. You guys just need to pressure "your sides" to get to work and cooperate, instead of messing around on your dime, getting everyone riled up. Do politicians still listen to citizens, I wonder?

they use too, but i don't think they do anymore.

they use too, but i don't think they do anymore.

That's a problem, brother. Seems like you've got more important things to do than worry about left vs. right, if that's true... like, people vs. government, maybe? Ever wonder why they all seem to go out of their way to keep you guys from actually talking to each other? Sure takes your attention off of the fact that they don't care much what you have to say...

Conducting the needed investigations and checking the president's power, require nothing from Republicans, sorry, you're wrong.

That's a problem, brother. Seems like you've got more important things to do than worry about left vs. right, if that's true... like, people vs. government, maybe? Ever wonder why they all seem to go out of their way to keep you guys from actually talking to each other? Sure takes your attention off of the fact that they don't care much what you have to say...

american has always been people vs government. in fact we fought an entire independence on that very thing people vs government.
our founding fathers wrote a constitution that was designed to negate the power of government and limit it's scope of authority.

if the judicial branch had done it's job we would not be where we are today in many cases. yet ruling after ruling our judicial system has taken power from
the people and given it to the government.

Conducting the needed investigations and checking the president's power, require nothing from Republicans, sorry, you're wrong.

their investigations are useless and the senate can open investigations of their own so tit for tat nonsense is not going to work.
the presidents power is already check by several things so you don't know what you are talking about.
but that is typical.

their investigations are useless and the senate can open investigations of their own so tit for tat nonsense is not going to work.
Justice isn't tit for tat, stop being absurd.

If they investigate and find criminal activity, they will refer it to DOJ to see if charges can be brought. You know, like with Flynn, Manafort, Papadopolus, Gates, etc. All felons.
What's the Senate gonna do, more David nunes-styled bull****? Bring it the **** on.

american has always been people vs government. in fact we fought an entire independence on that very thing people vs government.
our founding fathers wrote a constitution that was designed to negate the power of government and limit it's scope of authority.

if the judicial branch had done it's job we would not be where we are today in many cases. yet ruling after ruling our judicial system has taken power from
the people and given it to the government.

I mean, I probably come at this from a different angle, being a dirty Canadian leftist, but the problem, to me, isn't so much the power the government has, but rather that they aren't using it to reflect the will of the people they work for and are supposed to represent. I know the nutters are calling for Civil War 2, but wouldn't it be easier to replace the politicians?

I probably sound dumb...I get lost between seeing the opportunity and the lack of will to seize it. Just seems that all the fighting you guys do amongst yourselves doesn't serve you too well...but given how much it's encouraged, it's gotta serve someone well...

I mean, I probably come at this from a different angle, being a dirty Canadian leftist, but the problem, to me, isn't so much the power the government has, but rather that they aren't using it to reflect the will of the people they work for and are supposed to represent. I know the nutters are calling for Civil War 2, but wouldn't it be easier to replace the politicians?

I probably sound dumb...I get lost between seeing the opportunity and the lack of will to seize it. Just seems that all the fighting you guys do amongst yourselves doesn't serve you too well...but given how much it's encouraged, it's gotta serve someone well...

you would think it would be easier to replace politicians.
https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/reelect.php

you can't replace them if people don't vote to replace them.

it amazes me at all the people that complain about congress and they have a 10% approval rating but they have a 90%+ re-election rate
consistently.

even at the lowest of 85% it is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom