• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's put the Capitol "riot" in perspective

There appears to have been a small contingent that intended, perhaps, to kidnap a congressman or two. I'm also decidedly unhappy that someone felt the need to bash anyone else, especially a cop doing his job, over the head with a fire extinguisher. Heck, I'm not particularly happy that this action happened at all but it's REALLY important to put it in perspective because we don't want to suffer what failing to see it for what it was will bring.
The only poster failing to "see it for what it was" appears to be you.
You are free to continue to paint the riot on a diminimus canvass, but the only person that will have a portrait of ridiculousness is you.

I mean more like a few dozen. There is ZERO evidence of a coordinated effort by any large group to directly attack anyone in congress. The few guys that showed up wit flexi cuffs will probably have some issues explaining how they weren't plotting a kidnapping but wandering the halls, taking selfies and whooping and hollering isn't the way "insurrections" go down.

If this kind of thing was perpetrated by people that meant to do damage we'd have seen a MUCH different outcome.
I am blindingly furious about this entire thing, but I will acknowledge that most of the crowd members were not part of the organized plot. Instead, they were useful idiots among whom the really nasty perpetrators hid and operated.

For most of the participants, that's what it was. But there's something running deeper, something orchestrated - not directed - but orchestrated. There's a difference. Trump stupidly played into it because he's easily played, but I have no doubt that some organized enigma is afoot. The man at the helm of the proud boys is Tarrio. There's something really odd about his actions just prior to the Capitol incursion. He was arrested on superficial charges, and said he'd plead guilty to burning a banner and repay a church. Huh?? This guy is 36 years old, articulate and clearly very smart. He has a photo that's obviously staged, right down to the mustache and the cigarette, so reminiscent of Che Guevara that it's almost a duplicate. We're missing something, and whatever we're missing is hidden from view by the foment - largely by the media, but something subtly feeding it - of a yet undiscoverable source or sources. In the mean time whatever the engine, we shouldn't be feeding it. If the angry ultra-left or ultra-right are looking for a foil - my unsolicited advice - don't be it. I understand you're trying to be rational. But in time when rationality is being used as a focus, much the same way as blowing on an otherwise warming ember, it doesn't help. Enjoy your life, enjoy your family. Rest assured, there's a lot of good people that have got this. Thanks!!
What's happening now has been happening since the days of Adam in the Garden of Eden.

There are always some that fail to appreciate the abundance they have in life and seek that next little bit extra. Those are the ones that inevitably crave power to control others. They exist on the political right as well as on the political left. Many of them have convinced themselves that they're "helping" one cause or another but that "help" inevitably comes with a demand for conformity to their ideas. They are never satisfied merely to persuade and, if they fail at that, try a different method of persuasion. They tend to see their failure to persuade in terms of "win or lose" and generally cast blame instead of try to better themselves and become more persuasive. Ultimately, they come to hate the people that refuse to be persuaded. That's where we are in America. We have a left wing that has failed at persuasion and they see you and I as the cause of that failure so now they are seeking their vengeance.

What's happening now has been happening since the days of Adam in the Garden of Eden.

There are always some that fail to appreciate the abundance they have in life and seek that next little bit extra. Those are the ones that inevitably crave power to control others. They exist on the political right as well as on the political left. Many of them have convinced themselves that they're "helping" one cause or another but that "help" inevitably comes with a demand for conformity to their ideas. They are never satisfied merely to persuade and, if they fail at that, try a different method of persuasion. They tend to see their failure to persuade in terms of "win or lose" and generally cast blame instead of try to better themselves and become more persuasive. Ultimately, they come to hate the people that refuse to be persuaded. That's where we are in America. We have a left wing that has failed at persuasion and they see you and I as the cause of that failure so now they are seeking their vengeance.
That last sentence is an abjectly stupid assessment, considering that "the left" has not only engaged in persuasion, but has, by what we can see in the Nov-03 election, succeeded at it.

The vengeance you so prevaricatingly lie about here having been what we saw perpetrated on Jan-06, on account of the failure that the RW perps suffered previously.

But by all means carry on unveiling yourself and, in that process, your dishonesty.

You posted very differently a number of months back. Your political convictions were intact but you were lighter, exceedingly funny, clever and most importantly, had a sense of normalcy. You're still careful with regard to feelings which I can see. Unsolicited advice: For your own sake and those like you grappling with something out of the ordinary, please believe that extremists have nothing - on either side - if they don't have your kind of good faith effort and your engagement. Persuasion is very different than hyperbole, something I suspect you instinctively understand, so I commend you. Thanks!!

I suppose you refer to yourself as a patriotic American. And your party murdered a police officer. Pound sand.
You post is exactly why we need to abolish the two party system and install a parliamentary system in its stead. We have to take the "football game, your team or my team" crap out of politics. The Republican party did NOT murder a police officer, therefore members of the Republican party are not culpable, nor is the poster you chose to answer with a surreptitious insinuation that he is tied to the events by virtue of his political leaning. HE IS NOT. A MOB murdered a police officer. And the media with its absurd headlines about "leaving five dead" is deliberately misleading the public on cause and effect. A young woman was shot and killed by a lawman, an officer was killed by a mob, and the rest were natural causes. The claim that a woman was trampled was refuted by her own family members. She had a history of drug addiction. The reason why all of this is important is because exaggeration and what I dub "headlining" for the sake of a reaction is the last thing this nation needs right now. The media should be sticking to the facts and including context as a compulsory standard, otherwise its so called reporting is nothing more than inflammatory and misleading half truths. Thanks!!

'Kidnap a Congressman or two'

My God you minimize what happened and describe it like a walk to the grocery store...

This is the new GOP people. If anyone thinks they will be unity and dialog with these traitors is kidding themselves..

Yep those guys. Puts a lie to the canard that it was the President's words that incited a riot.

Hes been at this since the election. Stop acting as if people are making the case that only the speech he gave on the 6th is what they are using as the basis for that claim. Retweeting violent messaging and applauding those who came out and said there was going to be violence is part of what is being talked about here. He did both.

You think its coincidental that he told these people he was gonna join them on thier afternoon stroll and then didnt? Im pretty sure someone in his camp was like, "Um....Mr. President.....looks like all the support youve been showning to people who are talking of violence might have led them to believe you supported that violence. Maybe its not such a good idea to walk to the Capitol with these armed lunatics, if not for your saftey, for the very optics of it all."

So how many here have attended college, or even high school? Did you ever go to parties? Did you ever go to one of those parties where everything was going along really well? The music was blaring, people were feeling good. There were guys meeting girls and girls meeting guys and everyone was loose and having a great time.

Then a few more people showed up.

This group was a little bit more boisterous and next thing you know there's people doing shots. Then there's some guy being hung upside down over the keg and some chick has her boobs out. That's all good too but you just kind of know....there it goes! A couple of guys just got in a fight and now there's a broken window and the cops are on their way.

That's kind of the dynamic we saw in DC last week. You had a few people that took things a lot farther than need be and a lot that just kind of got caught up in the moment. It wasn't any kind of "planned attack" (outside of maybe a few that really did want to do some damage) and wasn't intended to do anything other than make a political statement. It was over in a few hours and there wasn't any "occupation" or any resurgence of the attacks the next day. There wasn't even a resurgence that night! The "riot" never took to the streets and it damned sure didn't break out across the nation.

The media, left, right and middle, would have you believe that this was the equivalent of the storming of the Bastille but it wasn't. It wasn't even close. It was a good time that got out of hand and that's all it was.

Anyone following news about the event should have known that the potential for violence was high. A large number of people who feel the election was stolen, and that their president was robbed of the presidency were going to march on the capital. All the court cases to change things failed, leaving only non legal means to do something

So the potential for violence was very high, the reason for the violence would be to overturn the election results. The only reason it did not get worse was the lack of leadership directing the mob. Had a few more protestors been shot or killed (doesnt matter by which side) the amount of violence would have been multiple times what it was

Hes been at this since the election. Stop acting as if people are making the case that only the speech he gave on the 6th is what they are using as the basis for that claim. Retweeting violent messaging and applauding those who came out and said there was going to be violence is part of what is being talked about here. He did both.

You think its coincidental that he told these people he was gonna join them on thier afternoon stroll and then didnt? Im pretty sure someone in his camp was like, "Um....Mr. President.....looks like all the support youve been showning to people who are talking of violence might have led them to believe you supported that violence. Maybe its not such a good idea to walk to the Capitol with these armed lunatics, if not for your saftey, for the very optics of it all."
You mean incitement like this?

Our election was hijacked. There is no question. Congress has a duty to #ProtectOurDemocracy & #FollowTheFacts.

So how many here have attended college, or even high school? Did you ever go to parties? Did you ever go to one of those parties where everything was going along really well? The music was blaring, people were feeling good. There were guys meeting girls and girls meeting guys and everyone was loose and having a great time.

This group was a little bit more boisterous and next thing you know there's people doing shots. Then there's some guy being hung upside down over the keg and some chick has her boobs out. That's all good too but you just kind of know....there it goes! A couple of guys just got in a fight and now there's a broken window and the cops are on their way.

That's kind of the dynamic we saw in DC last week. You had a few people that took things a lot farther than need be and a lot that just kind of got caught up in the moment. It wasn't any kind of "planned attack" (outside of maybe a few that really did want to do some damage) and wasn't intended to do anything other than make a political statement. It was over in a few hours and there wasn't any "occupation" or any resurgence of the attacks the next day. There wasn't even a resurgence that night! The "riot" never took to the streets and it damned sure didn't break out across the nation.

The media, left, right and middle, would have you believe that this was the equivalent of the storming of the Bastille but it wasn't. It wasn't even close. It was a good time that got out of hand and that's all it was.

It's disgusting to try to downplay what happened last week. Should we make it a regular thing? Members of congress feared for their lives and you write it off as "a few people that took things a lot farther than need be and a lot that just kind of got caught up in the moment"?

It wasn't any kind of "planned attack" (outside of maybe a few that really did want to do some damage) and wasn't intended to do anything other than make a political statement.

Maybe you missed it. Trump was quit clear on why he called for an assembly.

There appears to have been a small contingent that intended, perhaps, to kidnap a congressman or two. I'm also decidedly unhappy that someone felt the need to bash anyone else, especially a cop doing his job, over the head with a fire extinguisher. Heck, I'm not particularly happy that this action happened at all but it's REALLY important to put it in perspective because we don't want to suffer what failing to see it for what it was will bring.

"Please excuse this blatant act of terrorism and sedition because it makes my continued support for their cause look bad : ("

. A large number of people who feel the election was stolen, and that their president was robbed of the presidency

and teh ONLY reason they feel this way also goes right back to the piece of shit President who incessantly lied to them.

You mean incitement like this?
Congress DOES have that duty. Show me where in there she egged on individuals who had said they would use violence to enact that goal. Ill save you the time and tell you she didnt. No retweets and likes of people making those claims, so you are comparing apples and anvils.

giphy.gif

Congress DOES have that duty. Show me where in there she egged on individuals who had said they would use violence to enact that goal. Ill save you the time and tell you she didnt. No retweets and likes of people making those claims, so you are comparing apples and anvils.
Deal. Show me ONE quote from the President where he urged violence. ONE

Maybe you missed it. Trump was quit clear on why he called for an assembly.
He was. The reason was that he wanted to present "evidence" of the "election steal" and that's what he did.

You post is exactly why we need to abolish the two party system and install a parliamentary system in its stead. We have to take the "football game, your team or my team" crap out of politics. The Republican party did NOT murder a police officer, therefore members of the Republican party are not culpable, nor is the poster you chose to answer with a surreptitious insinuation that he is tied to the events by virtue of his political leaning. HE IS NOT. A MOB murdered a police officer. And the media with its absurd headlines about "leaving five dead" is deliberately misleading the public on cause and effect. A young woman was shot and killed by a lawman, an officer was killed by a mob, and the rest were natural causes. The claim that a woman was trampled was refuted by her own family members. She had a history of drug addiction. The reason why all of this is important is because exaggeration and what I dub "headlining" for the sake of a reaction is the last thing this nation needs right now. The media should be sticking to the facts and including context as a compulsory standard, otherwise its so called reporting is nothing more than inflammatory and misleading half truths. Thanks!!
Who was in the mob?

He was. The reason was that he wanted to present "evidence" of the "election steal" and that's what he did.

Clue, he never has. No one has. And this after the closet look at any election in our history.

Who was in the mob?

I have no idea other than those participating in violence or property damage can be accurately described as miscreants. Take a look at the photos. I'm sure by now there's a list of names if their identity is important to you. Thanks!!

Clue, he never has. No one has. And this after the closet look at any election in our history.
Whether his accusations are provable or not is kind of a moot point by now but it's perfectly legal for him to complain about that kind of stuff, true or not. I might remind you that the media as a whole went ape shit over Russiagate for three years and that was proved completely false too yet nobody (other than Trump) has chosen to hold them accountable for all that crap.

I have no idea other than those participating in violence or property damage can be accurately described as miscreants. Take a look at the photos. I'm sure by now there's a list of names if their identity is important to you. Thanks!!
No, not identities, affiliations. See any Democrats in there?

Back
Top Bottom