• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Let's not pretend David Perdue wasn't being racist about Kamala Harris

comma-la

If Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) can't handle pronouncing that name without the racial overtones, then he belongs nowhere near the US Capitol building in D.C.
I believe it is high time most Americans quit pretending that the GOP is not racist. After all, Lindsey said it best. "You can go anywhere in South Carolina as a black person, but only if you are conservative."

Well apparantly, democrats don't care about getting her name correct at all.

"Good for me, not for thee", eh?

Hypocrite.

Still not getting it. They are not doing it on purpose. They are not intentionally trying to set her apart from themselves and/or a crowd of other people by mispronouncing her name. This was explained.

No, it isn't. Intent matters. This was not about simple intent to mock. It was an intent to specifically make the pronunciation of her name not matter, to seem trivial and reduce respect for it because it is different.
Once again, this rule can bite you. Because we can just as easily say that "this" was your intent as well.

Do you not understand that?

comma-la

If Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) can't handle pronouncing that name without the racial overtones, then he belongs nowhere near the US Capitol building in D.C.
So now it's racist to mispronounce very uncommon names. Diversity is our strength, but if you're white, you may lose your career over mispronouncing an exotic sounding name. Hmm, who believes in this bullshit anymore?

So now it's racist to mispronounce very uncommon names. Diversity is our strength, but if you're white, you may lose your career over mispronouncing an exotic sounding name. Hmm, who believes in this bullshit anymore?
If we're being honest here. I think all of these ****ing children are pretty damn insane.
They repeatedly do exactly what they're currently decrying and act as though they can't be racist. Yet any simple mention on their end, means that the other "MUST" be racist.

If you ask me. More than a few of these people need psychotherapy, or they could at least start sharing whatever the hell it is that they're smoking. Because some of this crap reminds me of the days when Richard Prior was still freebasing his ass off.

And eventually these idiots are going to set themselves on fire as well.

If we're being honest here. I think all of these ****ing children are pretty damn insane.
They repeatedly do exactly what they're currently decrying and act as though they can't be racist. Yet any simple mention on their end, means that the other "MUST" be racist.

If you ask me. More than a few of these people need psychotherapy, or they could at least start sharing whatever the hell it is that they're smoking. Because some of this crap reminds me of the days when Richard Prior was still freebasing his ass off.

And eventually these idiots are going to set themselves on fire as well.
Joe Bribeden has called black people far worse with his super-predators comment. That definitely wasn't an error in pronunciation.

Still not getting it. They are not doing it on purpose. They are not intentionally trying to set her apart from themselves and/or a crowd of other people by mispronouncing her name. This was explained.
No one is intentionally trying to "set her apart" of anything other than what she is, a senator...and a rather stupid senator at that.

That doesn't make him a racist, it just makes him a dick. White people upstage each other and do shit to each other too. There's not shortage of insulting Irish and Polish jokes. She's not being "set apart", she's just being ridiculed. Welcome to life, people ridicule you, or did you never go to public school?

I blame her parents for giving her such a weird sounding name, no wonder people screw it up. It isn't a normal name you would expect, not like Laquisha, Sha Nay Nay, Fo'Landra, or LaToyotatercella.

I blame her parents for giving her such a weird sounding name, no wonder people screw it up. It isn't a normal name you would expect, not like Laquisha, Sha Nay Nay, Fo'Landra, or LaToyotatercella.
Don't forget about Or'angejello Le'monjello.

Once again, this rule can bite you. Because we can just as easily say that "this" was your intent as well.

Do you not understand that?
No you can't. Context does matter.

No one is intentionally trying to "set her apart" of anything other than what she is, a senator...and a rather stupid senator at that.

That doesn't make him a racist, it just makes him a dick. White people upstage each other and do shit to each other too. There's not shortage of insulting Irish and Polish jokes. She's not being "set apart", she's just being ridiculed. Welcome to life, people ridicule you, or did you never go to public school?
That isn't true. He was intentionally trying to make her name seem unpronounceable and then dismissed it as "whatever", which is an attempt to diminish it, to imply that it isn't important if her name is pronounced correctly.

That isn't true. He was intentionally trying to make her name seem unpronounceable and then dismissed it as "whatever", which is an attempt to diminish it, to imply that it isn't important if her name is pronounced correctly.
You really think a racist put's that much thought into it? If I were to believe you, then I would have to believe that David Perdue is a mathematical genius at being racist.

Now, I like Perdue because he says a lot of things I like.

but he ain't no ****ing genius.

He was being a dick. Don't put too much thought into it. This isn't an anime fanclub.

Mispronouncing IZ RATHEST

Commie turds are just too much.
What happened , somebody dig up McCarthy to look for Communist again?
They're in government they are trying to get in Congress and yes even the White House.
The Communist are coming the Communist are coming .
Hell, the Japanese and Koreans are already here and they are making money off of Americans consumers and American investors and products..
The words Honda, Kia mean anything?

*Delete Post*

comma-la

The problem isn't that he's a racist; it's that he's a child.

That wasn't a mere slip of the tongue.

What Perdue did was purposeful and intended as a slur.
A person's first name cannot be deemed a racial slur. I cannot count how many times I've seen someone chuckle at themselves as a reaction to mispronouncing a word, or becoming tongue-tied. It's a natural bit of levity that people engage in. Let's also not pretend that you're gravely insulted over Perdue's inability to pronounce Kamala-- the DNC/media are gunning hard for Perdue's senate seat, as part of the larger quest to upend Republican support in Georgia. Perdue's challenger for the senate seat is Jon Ossoff, who has also claimed victimhood by stating Perdue conveyed 'antisemitic tropes' in his reelection ads. Crying 'racism' is how you and the others in your camp exert dominance. It means nothing at this point.

Mispronouncing a name has something called "racist overtones"? That is a special kind of stupid. This guy may be stupid or a bad Senator, but this is just grasping for straws.

How our language has been twisted to mean something it really doesn't.

Alright let's address this, right here.

How is mispronouncing her name, even if intentionally done to mock her, racist?

The goal is to paint her as an “other.” A foreigner with a weird name. You’ll notice that it’s never, ever done with a white person with a generic name.

In the real world, everything isn't about racism. Man or woman up and stop being such a snowflake. The fact that Kamala Harris is a terrible candidate has something to do with it.

comma-la

What is there to be racist about, her being a descendant of one of the largest slaveowners in Jamaica?
The author of that opinion piece is probably being a bit oversensitive with a first name like Anushay I suspect she has been the butt of many jokes.

comma-la

*Laughs hysterically in "Drumpf"*

A person's first name cannot be deemed a racial slur. I cannot count how many times I've seen someone chuckle at themselves as a reaction to mispronouncing a word, or becoming tongue-tied. It's a natural bit of levity that people engage in. Let's also not pretend that you're gravely insulted over Perdue's inability to pronounce Kamala-- the DNC/media are gunning hard for Perdue's senate seat, as part of the larger quest to upend Republican support in Georgia. Perdue's challenger for the senate seat is Jon Ossoff, who has also claimed victimhood by stating Perdue conveyed 'antisemitic tropes' in his reelection ads. Crying 'racism' is how you and the others in your camp exert dominance. It means nothing at this point.
Perdue's mispronunciation certainly was not a slip of the tongue, he has worked in the senate with her for almost four years, if it was intentional ( it was ), then he should apologize and move on. If it wasn't intentional and he really doesn't know how to pronounce the name of his co worker he is too stupid to serve in the senate.

Back
Top Bottom