• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Let's not pretend David Perdue wasn't being racist about Kamala Harris

No he didn't.

Right. The policies of mexico have allowed human trafficking to grow on the border, and cause problems that WE, including hispanic americans(I would say especially hispanic americans) have to deal with.

Perhaps what he said wasn't so "sensitive", but he doesn't have to be sensitive. He didn't say that all mexicans who come here are rapists. Only that Mexico are encouraging these criminals and drug deals to come here.
He did say all Mexicans that come the the US. it's in his quote. There is no way you can spin that.

No, he's right. Every freaking Democrat, including Barak Obama can't even say Kamala right, no one on the left is calling them racist for it, because it's just inconvenient to their narrative

You know that is not true.

Do not complain about that crap if you cannot correctly spell Barack correctly.

So when the commies call the President "Rump" or "Drumf" that's racist then?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Khmer Rouge would be a laugh riot, if not for the plastic bags and killing fields they have planned...

Drumpf was actually the family name before it got changed and as far as I know, orange isn't a race.

Well you havent read my posts. I haven't decided who to vote for. I am not voting for trump but I dont really like biden either. My choice was buttigieg

Honestly, I've never been a big Biden fan either, but I really think that defeating Trump is necessary, even if it is only the first step in removing him from office.

comma-la

If Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) can't handle pronouncing that name without the racial overtones, then he belongs nowhere near the US Capitol building in D.C.

I was prepared for this to be much ado about nothing with him pronouncing her name as camel-a, which Biden himself has done, but it was actually bad

Hopefully, former-Sen. Purdue can pronounce Madam Vice President.:cool:

I was prepared for this to be much ado about nothing with him pronouncing her name as camel-a, which Biden himself has done, but it was actually bad
I can't believe we agree on something but this is pretty much my sentiments on this. This was not just a simple mispronunciation of her name, not knowing what it was and simply getting it wrong trying. This was deliberately making fun of how "different" her name is. People mispronounce my last name, and even sometimes my first name, all the time (which is funny because they actually are pretty common names). Some people I can tell them dozens of times how to pronounce it, and they will still get the last name wrong. I don't consider that on purpose or mocking. I normally don't correct people about my name unless they ask though how to pronounce it or just stumble completely over it.

This though was not that kind of mistake. This was intentionally trying to be cruel and pronounce her being "different" because she has a different sounding name, with the "whatever" comment diminishing the pronunciation of it as being "unimportant". I can definitely see where the racist accusations fit here.

comma-la

If Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) can't handle pronouncing that name without the racial overtones, then he belongs nowhere near the US Capitol building in D.C.
Other then the fact that none of you can actually prove racism here, much like what's plagued your camp for much of the last four years.

You are only shooting yourselves in the foot with this idiotic story.

I can't believe we agree on something but this is pretty much my sentiments on this. This was not just a simple mispronunciation of her name, not knowing what it was and simply getting it wrong trying. This was deliberately making fun of how "different" her name is. People mispronounce my last name, and even sometimes my first name, all the time (which is funny because they actually are pretty common names). Some people I can tell them dozens of times how to pronounce it, and they will still get the last name wrong. I don't consider that on purpose or mocking. I normally don't correct people about my name unless they ask though how to pronounce it or just stumble completely over it.

This though was not that kind of mistake. This was intentionally trying to be cruel and pronounce her being "different" because she has a different sounding name, with the "whatever" comment diminishing the pronunciation of it as being "unimportant". I can definitely see where the racist accusations fit here.

Alright let's address this, right here.

How is mispronouncing her name, even if intentionally done to mock her, racist?

1. Like many other people, I had assumed that it was pronounced Ka-MA-la.

2. Then I recently read that the future Vice President says that it is COMMA-la.

3. I agree that the gentleman was boorish in ridiculing her name (as reported in the article).

4. I am disappointed, too, that she will be the Vice President and perhaps President, but it was just plain childish to get laughs from what he said. He should have simply refrained from even mentioning her.

Alright let's address this, right here.

How is mispronouncing her name, even if intentionally done to mock her, racist?
I explained it. It wasn't being done just to mock her. It specifically tried to use her name to separate her, to make her "different", and then diminished the importance of the correct pronunciation of her name, directly after that mocking the differentness of it.

There are names that a reasonable person can take out of context as funny or make jokes of or even twist around to mock. Weiner, Sampler, Guzzler, Tester, Dick are all examples of names that are generally going to mocked. But they are not being mocked because of how people don't know how to pronounce their names or pretend not to simply because of how different they are, foreign sounding they are. It is still cruel. Racism is added though with the addition of the minimizing the importance of correctly pronouncing her name, after mockingly pretending to not know how to pronounce it.

I explained it. It wasn't being done just to mock her. It specifically tried to use her name to separate her, to make her "different", and then diminished the importance of the correct pronunciation of her name, directly after that mocking the differentness of it.

There are names that a reasonable person can take out of context as funny or make jokes of or even twist around to mock. Weiner, Sampler, Guzzler, Tester, Dick are all examples of names that are generally going to mocked. But they are not being mocked because of how people don't know how to pronounce their names or pretend not to simply because of how different they are, foreign sounding they are. It is still cruel. Racism is added though with the addition of the minimizing the importance of correctly pronouncing her name, after mockingly pretending to not know how to pronounce it.
no, being a dick isn't racist, it's just being a dick.

He did say all Mexicans that come the the US. it's in his quote. There is no way you can spin that.
he said "some are good people." Are you telling me immigration shouldn't separate the good mexicans from the bad mexicans that come here? Hm.

no, being a dick isn't racist, it's just being a dick.
That wasn't just being a dick. Calling someone with the last name Dick and first name Richard a "double dick" is being a dick. What he did relied specifically on the "otherness" of her name to appeal to tribalistic biases within the group he talked to in order to diminish/degrade an opponent. Comments after were also meant to degrade the importance of actually getting her name correct.

Yeah...if he had just stumbled over her name or just said it wrong that wouldn't be a problem, imo. It's that he make a joke out of it.

he said "some are good people." Are you telling me immigration shouldn't separate the good mexicans from the bad mexicans that come here? Hm.
After calling them all rapists.

If that's the case. Then every time that someone else mispronounces Trump's name, or that of one of his supporters. Then I can just as easily call you, or anyone else a racist for doing so. And then make up some reason for my own justification.

Does your rule not sound like something that can just as easily bite you in the ass?

Seeing as the conversation was on illegal immigration. It's good to see that you can still be caught pushing that same idiotic lie.
I know its really hard for you to defend such a blatant racist. I get it. It's really hard for trumpers to defend him.

I know its really hard for you to defend such a blatant racist. I get it. It's really hard for trumpers to defend him.
All you're doing is "claiming" racism, without actually proving that any such thing actually occurred. I don't think that I really need to tell you just how idiotic it is, to keep doing such a lame dog and pony show, makes you appear.

How about this?
Cite something, quote it, full context and let's see what if you can actually prove such a thing really happened.

All you're doing is "claiming" racism, without actually proving that any such thing actually occurred. I don't think that I really need to tell you just how idiotic it is, to keep doing such a lame dog and pony show, makes you appear.

How about this?
Cite something, quote it, full context and let's see what if you can actually prove such a thing really happened.
I already did. He said all the mexicans that come here are baddies. The good ones stay in mexico.

Strange, I don't see a citation.
Are you not even going to try to hide the fact that you're lying?

Especially on a subject as old and as easily accessible on a simple google search as this one.

You folks seem to be disagreeing about how to interpret this:

"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

If that's the case. Then every time that someone else mispronounces Trump's name, or that of one of his supporters. Then I can just as easily call you, or anyone else a racist for doing so. And then make up some reason for my own justification.

Does your rule not sound like something that can just as easily bite you in the ass?
No, it isn't. Intent matters. This was not about simple intent to mock. It was an intent to specifically make the pronunciation of her name not matter, to seem trivial and reduce respect for it because it is different.

That wasn't just being a dick. Calling someone with the last name Dick and first name Richard a "double dick" is being a dick. What he did relied specifically on the "otherness" of her name to appeal to tribalistic biases within the group he talked to in order to diminish/degrade an opponent. Comments after were also meant to degrade the importance of actually getting her name correct.
Well apparantly, democrats don't care about getting her name correct at all.

"Good for me, not for thee", eh?

Hypocrite.

Back
Top Bottom