• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's discuss the Resurrection of Jesus

Resurrection

• The Resurrection IS the most likely theory on why Christianity is the biggest religion

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • The Resurrection IS NOT the most likely theory on why Christianity is the biggest religion

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Recent scholarship or, more correctly, recent rethinking of previous scholarship has brought an intriguing possibility to the table. Matthew, Mark and Luke are termed the Synoptic Gospels, so called because they generally agree on the details and timeline of Jesus’ life, sometimes even using the same words to describe the same events. Because of this similarity, quite a few scholars posit that there was a previous collection of Jesus’ sayings and works which all three gospel writers relied on when compiling their histories. This collection, as yet just a theoretical construct, has been given the name “Q” (short for Quelle, German for “source”).

It’s a tempting idea. Mark is regarded as the earliest gospel and hence closest to Q. Of the 661 verses in Mark, only 24 aren’t quoted in either Matthew or Luke. Matthew and Luke occasionally disagree with Mark regarding Jesus’ words or the order of events, but they never both disagree on the same point.

Burton Mack in The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins offers another conjecture. It’s possible Q was the work not of a single person, but rather of a community trying to give written form and substance to what it believed. If that’s the case, the question of authorship in the usual sense evaporates. But rather than have this discussion come to an abrupt end, we’ll work on the assumption that the authors were individuals, not a committee.

Mark, not an apostle himself, was an associate of the apostle Paul for a short time, but the gospel bearing his name is (to some minds) based on the preaching of Peter. It’s generally assumed to have been the first gospel written, coming in right before Matthew at about 65 AD.

The author of Matthew is traditionally held to be the tax collector mentioned in Matthew 9:9, sometimes referred to as Levi. However, Matthew borrows heavily from the Gospel of Mark. It’s hard to believe someone who was in close contact with Jesus would have had to rely on secondary sources. Since this gospel has the most quotations from the Old Testament, sometimes going to ridiculous lengths to try to show that Jesus was the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, it’s assumed that Matthew was written for a Jewish audience. There is suspicion that it might have been originally written in Hebrew, although only Greek texts have ever been found. Scholars differ on the composition date, but most agree on roughly 65 – 70 AD with a few placing at as late as 100 – 134 AD.

I know you fail, but I'm not making a big thing of it. Now, back to the topic, bodies coming back from the dead are the walking dead are they not? I'm sure if you give it a little thought it should present itself as obvious.
i never fail

Couldn't this be a good justification for belief in Odin, Allah, whatever the Mormon church believes, etc?

It seems to me that the popularity or wide spread belief of an idea has absolutely nothing to do with the truth value of that idea.
no.

8 accounts, no two of which could both be true as written. Yes some reconciliation can be done but it requires assumptions that can never be verified. The possibility that none of the stories are accurate and no resurrection occurred cannot be eliminated.
the resurrection happened

Let's discuss the Resurrection of Jesus
Okay....Impossible.

There were eye witnesses of Jesus ascending into heaven after he was crucified.

Jesus Ascends to Heaven

Acts 1:9-11

Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This sameJesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”
yes.

Because there are no eyewitnesses of the event, to prove the resurrection, one must show why it is the most plausible explanation for the historical data we have. I say it is considering how Christianity spread so rapid in Rome and Europe and how a Messiah who was CRUCIFIED and came from a shady background, the religion was basically set up to fail, but because the resurrection is fact, it spread so quickly.

What do you guys think?

It depends on how much faith you have. I have faith that the resurrection happened.

Before Jesus returned from the dead, his followers, the early Christians, were laying low. Their leader had just been executed and they were terrified that they'd be next.

Jesus returned.

The first thing he told them was, "Be not afraid." Such a small sentence and yet so powerful.

Yes, you're a legend in your own mind. It's a shame your abilities do not match your estimates.

Now, back to the topic, bodies coming back from the dead are the walking dead are they not?
i never fail

the resurrection happened
Ok. In your own words (meaning don’t just reference or quote the Bible) run us through what happened, starting with what day Jesus was crucified, what his last words were, what happened when he died, how long after his death the empty tomb was discovered and by whom, and then his subsequent appearances.

It depends on how much faith you have. I have faith that the resurrection happened.

Before Jesus returned from the dead, his followers, the early Christians, were laying low. Their leader had just been executed and they were terrified that they'd be next.

Jesus returned.

The first thing he told them was, "Be not afraid." Such a small sentence and yet so powerful.

And after He said this, they no longer were.

Ok. In your own words (meaning don’t just reference or quote the Bible) run us through what happened, starting with what day Jesus was crucified, what his last words were, what happened when he died, how long after his death the empty tomb was discovered and by whom, and then his subsequent appearances.
my version is just like the bible

this thread is fitting on Easter!

my version is just like the bible
So it shouldn’t be a problem for you to retell it in your own words. I see differences between the different accounts, so restated by you will help me understand how you see it: with no contradiction.

So it shouldn’t be a problem for you to retell it in your own words. I see differences between the different accounts, so restated by you will help me understand how you see it: with no contradiction.
There are no contradictions...

3:00 p.m., Nisan 14
Friday) Golgotha, Jesus’ death on a torture stake,
Jerusalem and accompanying events
Mt 27:31-56 Mr 15:20-41
Lu 23:26-49 Joh 19:16-30

Jerusalem Jesus’ body removed from the torture
stake and buried
Mt 27:57-61 Mr 15:42-47
Lu 23:50-56 Joh 19:31-42

Nisan 15 Jerusalem Priests and Pharisees get guard for
tomb Mt 27:62-66

Nisan 16 Jerusalem Jesus’ resurrection and events of
and vicinity that day Mt 28:1-15
Mr 16:1-8 Lu 24:1-49
Joh 20:1-25

Nisan 16 Jerusalem; Subsequent appearances of Jesus
Galilee Christ Mt 28:16-20
[1 Cor. 15:5-7] [Acts 1:3-8]
Joh 20:26–21:25

Mount of Jesus’ ascension, 40th day after his
Olives, near resurrection [Acts 1:9-12]

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101990130?q=the+events+of+nisan+16&p=par

why shoul i, its in the bible

why shoul i, its in the bible
Because, as I said, “ I see differences between the different accounts, so restated by you will help me understand how you see it: with no contradiction.”

among the accounts in the Bible, there are differences of what Jesus’ final words were, times, who was at the tomb, whether the stone was already rolled away or not, and to whom Jesus appeared, and in what order, after the resurrection.

so either you haven’t read the accounts, are just ignoring the differences, or you have a narrative that encompasses and explains the apparent contradictions.

Back
Top Bottom