• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's Define Our Terms

Simply impossible to come to terms between a Democrat and a Republican. We are wired so different. Besides, talking to most liberals is a waste of time.
Problem with wiring like yours is that you believe that there are literally different definitions of words depending on political bent.

I've seen many threads where the discussion is confusing and goes on and on simply because we're not all talking about the same thing. Define terms you think are used incorrectly or in a misleading manner here.

I'll start with TRANSGENDER

transgender​

adjective

trans·gen·der | \ tran(t)s-ˈjen-dər , tranz- \

Definition of transgender

: of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth
especially : of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity is opposite the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth

transgender​

[ trans-jen-der, tranz‐ ]SHOW IPA

adjective
noting or relating to a person whose gender identity does not correspond to that person’s sex assigned at birth:transgender rights;
She identifies as transgender.
noting or relating to a person who does not conform to societal gender norms or roles.
noun
Usually Offensive. a person who is transgender.

Post-op transgender and pre-op need to be differentiated.
its a GREAT try and I have tried myself many times but bigots and liars dont care about facts and what transgenders factually and medically are based on definition and medical science

here are some med links for honest people that are interested but again it will be wasted on the vile bigots here that will for sure post in this thread having meltdowns

Quick Facts:
Gender =/= sex
Biology =/= gender
Transgender =/= sexual orientation
Transgender =/= delusion
Transgender =/= crossdressing/drag queens
Transgender =/= mental disorder
Transgender =/= Gender Dysphoria
Transitioning =/= child abuse
Transitioning =/= changing sex

Links for education
Answers to your questions about transgender people, gender identity, and gender expression
Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from socially constructed norms associated with their birth sex. This includes androgynous, gendered and gender queer people, who tend to see...
www.apa.org

What Is Transgender?

Find out how gender identity is defined and what it means to be transgender.
www.webmd.com

What you need to know about being transgender

Know the basics about sex and gender, including common terms and definitions.
www.mayoclinic.org

What Is Gender Dysphoria?

Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person’s physical gender and the gender with which he or she identifies. Learn more at psychiatry.org.
www.psychiatry.org

"Transgender"?

That would the individual psychological condition of one who, for whatever reason, fails to recognize and/or accept their biological gender. It's a psychological matter rather than a physiological one.
exhibit A
Factually Wrong

lol

its a GREAT try and I have tried myself many times but bigots and liars dont care about facts and what transgenders factually and medically are based on definition and medical science

here are some med links for honest people that are interested but again it will be wasted on the vile bigots here that will for sure post in this thread having meltdowns

Quick Facts:
Gender =/= sex
Biology =/= gender
Transgender =/= sexual orientation
Transgender =/= delusion
Transgender =/= crossdressing/drag queens
Transgender =/= mental disorder
Transgender =/= Gender Dysphoria
Transitioning =/= child abuse
Transitioning =/= changing sex

Links for education
Answers to your questions about transgender people, gender identity, and gender expression
Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from socially constructed norms associated with their birth sex. This includes androgynous, gendered and gender queer people, who tend to see...
www.apa.org

What Is Transgender?

Find out how gender identity is defined and what it means to be transgender.
www.webmd.com

What you need to know about being transgender

Know the basics about sex and gender, including common terms and definitions.
www.mayoclinic.org

What Is Gender Dysphoria?

Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person’s physical gender and the gender with which he or she identifies. Learn more at psychiatry.org.
www.psychiatry.org
Would you agree that the umbrella picture shared earlier in the thread is a good visual to help people understand?

Would you agree that the umbrella picture shared earlier in the thread is a good visual to help people understand?
no
i would suggest that if a person wants to "understand" they use medical science and or professional LGBT services sites like or similar to those I provided but there are others

One of the words I have an issue with is "racism" and the use of the term "racist".

Until recently, the universally accepted dictionary definition of racism has always been:

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others... an individual action or behavior based upon or fostering such a doctrine; racial discrimination. racial or ethnic prejudice or intolerance.

That's the definition that our society has used to determine if a person deserves to be labeled a "racist". There are very few words that are more damning and stigmatizing to label a person in our society than that. A person who is branded a racist is looked down upon and reviled by society (and rightly so) much in the same way that a rapist or pedophile is. A racist is an individual that harbors an irrational hatred, distain or feeling of superiority toward a person based entirely on the ethnic or racial group they belong to, which often results in discriminatory behavior toward them. It's choosing group identity to judge people, rather than judging them as individuals.

In recent years the definition of racism (along with a long list of other hate-based labels) has been bastardized by radical college professors and social justice warriors on the far left in 3 very specific ways.

1. Expanding the definition: A person can now be labeled a racist for simply recognizing a person's race, for disagreeing with the opinion of a racial minority, for not siding with a minority in a dispute with a non-minority, for expressing a fact or truth that could reflect poorly towards a specific minority group, for opposing political legislation sponsored by the democratic party, for objecting to incidents of racial segregation, racial discrimination, or acts of racial preference.

2. Expanding the consequences: When a person is publicly labeled a "racist", whether justified or not, it's now considered acceptable for activist groups, if they so choose, to threaten and/or target the person's home, work, bank, neighbors and family to enact or coerce acts of retribution. It's now common practice to infringe on their right to freedom of speech and take steps, sometimes including enacting violence, to prevent that individual from being able to give a public speech, including having their social media accounts banned.

3. Group exemptions: People who harbor racial hatred and engage in racial discrimination are no longer universally considered to be racists. Now in 2022 if you embrace racial hatred and you engage in racial discrimination in America, you are no longer considered a racist or labeled as such if you're black, or a preferred racial minority. Only white people can be racist and everyone else is exempt.

The redefinition of racism isn't happening based on a societal shift in common language, it's being forced upon society by the far left in order to further their political agenda. They're manipulating it to be used as a weapon against their enemies, and at the same time to protect their support base. They watered down the meaning, but still apply the same full strength negative connotations the label carries, and exempted their core supporters so they can express racial hatred without fear of negative consequences. This all falls under the umbrella of "identity politics" and it WILL lead to the destruction of this country if it's allowed to continue.

One of the words I have an issue with is "racism" and the use of the term "racist".

Until recently, the universally accepted dictionary definition of racism has always been:

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others... an individual action or behavior based upon or fostering such a doctrine; racial discrimination. racial or ethnic prejudice or intolerance.

That's the definition that our society has used to determine if a person deserves to be labeled a "racist". There are very few words that are more damning and stigmatizing to label a person in our society than that. A person who is branded a racist is looked down upon and reviled by society (and rightly so) much in the same way that a rapist or pedophile is. A racist is an individual that harbors an irrational hatred, distain or feeling of superiority toward a person based entirely on the ethnic or racial group they belong to, which often results in discriminatory behavior toward them. It's choosing group identity to judge people, rather than judging them as individuals.

In recent years the definition of racism (along with a long list of other hate-based labels) has been bastardized by radical college professors and social justice warriors on the far left in 3 very specific ways.

1. Expanding the definition: A person can now be labeled a racist for simply recognizing a person's race, for disagreeing with the opinion of a racial minority, for not siding with a minority in a dispute with a non-minority, for expressing a fact or truth that could reflect poorly towards a specific minority group, for opposing political legislation sponsored by the democratic party, for objecting to incidents of racial segregation, racial discrimination, or acts of racial preference.

2. Expanding the consequences: When a person is publicly labeled a "racist", whether justified or not, it's now considered acceptable for activist groups, if they so choose, to threaten and/or target the person's home, work, bank, neighbors and family to enact or coerce acts of retribution. It's now common practice to infringe on their right to freedom of speech and take steps, sometimes including enacting violence, to prevent that individual from being able to give a public speech, including having their social media accounts banned.

3. Group exemptions: People who harbor racial hatred and engage in racial discrimination are no longer universally considered to be racists. Now in 2022 if you embrace racial hatred and you engage in racial discrimination in America, you are no longer considered a racist or labeled as such if you're black, or a preferred racial minority. Only white people can be racist and everyone else is exempt.

The redefinition of racism isn't happening based on a societal shift in common language, it's being forced upon society by the far left in order to further their political agenda. They're manipulating it to be used as a weapon against their enemies, and at the same time to protect their support base. They watered down the meaning, but still apply the same full strength negative connotations the label carries, and exempted their core supporters so they can express racial hatred without fear of negative consequences. This all falls under the umbrella of "identity politics" and it WILL lead to the destruction of this country if it's allowed to continue.

It's a function of the "social justice" mentality. These days if someone accuses you of a given infraction of the prevailing social paradigm then you are guilty, period.

HOLY SHIT!!!!
BWHAHAHAHA perfect example of facts and reality not mattering to a person and them pushing or believing total bat shit insane tinfoil hat dishoenst false narratives

wow, this explains A LOT .. .good grief
😂🍿

no
i would suggest that if a person wants to "understand" they use medical science and or professional LGBT services sites like or similar to those I provided but there are others
The transgender umbrella is defined not only by those who identify under it but used to explain the concept of identifying as transgender by the vast majority of LGBTQ+ advocacy groups.

The transgender umbrella is defined not only by those who identify under it but included by the vast majority of LGBT advocacy groups.
did you have a point that actually impacts anything i said and the question i was answering?

did you have a point that actually impacts anything i said and the question i was answering?
I responded to your dismissing the transgender umbrella as a good visual to help people understand.
You say the only valid resource is "medical science and/or professional LGBT services".
My point is that "LBGT services" use the umbrella.

AGENT J said:
no

It's a function of the "social justice" mentality. These days if someone accuses you of a given infraction of the prevailing social paradigm then you are guilty, period.
Agreed... The fact that they are allowed to manipulate the English language to further their political agenda is really frustrating. Especially considering what their end game is.

From reading this thread, I am also certain we won't reach agreement on what a moron is or isn't.

Perhaps I misread but I think the point was to solicit alternate definitions, if there are any. You have to start somewhere.
If someone wants to chime in with the suggestion that transgender means anyone who wears pink or purple, well at least you know you aren't at the same starting point.
All I said was that since the OP clearly picked dictionary definitions, he should have identified the sources.

"Transgender"?

That would the individual psychological condition of one who, for whatever reason, fails to recognize and/or accept their biological gender. It's a psychological matter rather than a physiological one.
What term do you use for people who are stupid, but for whatever reason, fail to recognize and/or accept that they were born stupid and always will be?

All I said was that since the OP clearly picked dictionary definitions, he should have identified the sources.
Fair enough.

But as we've seen, even if the topic was a well intentioned effort to develop some basic ground rules, it went where all well intentioned threads go: downhill quickly.

Agreed... The fact that they are allowed to manipulate the English language to further their political agenda is really frustrating. Especially considering what their end game is.

If they're just yapping then it's nothing but noise. Unfortunately, this crap is more and more creeping into the political system.

In order to transition from M to F (or F to M) one needs a definition of M and F. If M or F are simply self-definable then problems are going to arise.
What could possibly go wrong?

I remember an architect once offering a solution to a structural problem. It was elegant, except for a beam that was completely unsupported. Pointing that out is why I'm no fun.

Isn't it as simple as XX and XY? I say go with that up until they're post-op. That's when things get complicated.
Is it? She has XX chromosomes. Raised as a guy, even had some kids before transitioning or finding out he had XX chromosomes, although did have some surgeries during childhood that were outside the norm.

What about her? She has XY chromosomes.

I responded to your dismissing the transgender umbrella as a good visual to help people understand.
correct its not a good source to help people "understand" what transgender is
You say the only valid resource is "medical science and/or professional LGBT services".
nope never said that once
My point is that "LBGT services" use the umbrella.
also never said an umbrella isnt used, i answered a question about UNDERSTANDING so your point is moot

you said:

AGENT J said:
no

Simply impossible to come to terms between a Democrat and a Republican. We are wired so different. Besides, talking to most liberals is a waste of time.

Then why are you here?

correct its not a good source to help people "understand" what transgender is
Advocacy groups use the umbrella because it's a good resource to help people understand that the old concept of transsexualism - typically middle aged MTF who had families and medically/surgically transitioned later in life, is not what is being discussed anymore. The umbrella shows a new understanding of the fact that transgender refers to anyone who defies sex/gender stereotypes.
Without the common understanding and agreement that there has been an enormous shift it's difficult to have a productive discussion.

Back
Top Bottom