• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Let us discuss Alternative Education

Most places do not allow this... I started a new thread for home school/sports.

There are much more educational curriculums out there than what the public schools typically use, though. The thing about it, is home schooling provides for the most customized education possible. That's one reason that home schooled students typically excel.

But, there are programs that use short workbooks (10-12 per subject per year) for students who need to learn in smaller steps, and then there are more traditional programs that use normal textbooks, as well. Some families choose to use a lot of video or computer assistance, and others rely more on reading, or even formal lessons.

So, providing them access to textbooks or equipment could be good if the family wants to use those books, and I would support a program like that, as long as they are not required to use them.

I'm not suggesting that anyone be "forced" into using any materials or programs. All I was saying is that I thought it might be a benefit to those doing home schooling if they could use materials and program if they wanted. I spoke with a person here in Oregon who tells me that some school districts allow home schooled children to be invloved in school sports, I see no problems with that. But I wouldn't suggest anyone be forced to be involved.

Pacridge said:
I'm not suggesting that anyone be "forced" into using any materials or programs. All I was saying is that I thought it might be a benefit to those doing home schooling if they could use materials and program if they wanted. I spoke with a person here in Oregon who tells me that some school districts allow home schooled children to be invloved in school sports, I see no problems with that. But I wouldn't suggest anyone be forced to be involved.

By no means. I just think that there is a tendency for schools to require all students (even those outside of the public school system) to use a particular curriculum. It's a precautionary statement.

When we ask the wrong questions, it is difficult to get a good answer.

The questions about education should simply be:

Are parents satisfied that their child is getting a proper education this year?

With millions of parents, there is no system, especially one that groups students in districts of 100,000+ that can satisfy very many.

So, the solution is to create a complete marketplace based on parent's satisfaction.

Not on test scores or other public criteria.

The U.S. is the best country because of millions of people seeking their own personal self-interest. In an indirect way we as a society benefit from their pursuit. The government's role should be to keep law and order, and ensure against fraud.

Every parent regardless of income/geography/etc. should have a check/voucher equal to the average spent per child in each state. Then they could use the money at:

home school
neighborhood home school
private school
public school

There will be numerous problems with this, but the rule will be one of individuals making the best choices for their families.

That is the American way.

It should be the liberal way.

Pacridge said:
Usually these school voucher programs seem to be a back door attempt to use public funds for religious schools. Which I'm not sure I'm for or against. On one hand you're draining resources from the public system to fund religious schools and that seems to clearly fall under the seperation of church and state issue. On the other you have families who's only choice is to either send their children to schools that are teaching things that they, on religious grounds, oppose. Or, if they can afford it (and many can't), send them to private religious schools. Those families are paying taxes too, their tax dollars are being used to support a system they don't favor, or believe in, in the slightest. It seems with the weakening of our school systems over the years and with our schools operating at such poor levels it's opened the door wider for this debate.

What exactly is a "Magnet" school.

A simple google search reveals the following which should clear up any confusion:

Question Presented
Does Ohio's school voucher program violate the Establishment Clause?

Conclusion
No. In a 5-4 opinion delivered by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, the Court held that the program does not violate the Establishment Clause. The Court reasoned that, because Ohio's program is part of Ohio's general undertaking to provide educational opportunities to children, government aid reaches religious institutions only by way of the deliberate choices of numerous individual recipients and the incidental advancement of a religious mission, or any perceived endorsement, is reasonably attributable to the individual aid recipients not the government. Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote that the "Ohio program is entirely neutral with respect to religion. It provides benefits directly to a wide spectrum of individuals, defined only by financial need and residence in a particular school district. It permits such individuals to exercise genuine choice among options public and private, secular and religious. The program is therefore a program of true private choice."

Why would you insist on having a child retained in a failing public school? To the extent that a child is under educated he will be a drain on the economic system for life. Is that what our tax dollars should be returning?

The boards of failing schools understand the problem and know the solutions -- and the solution is not more money. The flight of students to other schools will cause the failing public schools to either shape up or close. Either action would be acceptable.

Isn't the goal to eradicate poverty? What better way is there than to ensure that children can be educated to the point where they can escape from what has become a generational cycle of poverty?

Back
Top Bottom