• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let there be light - bioluminescence & evolution

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I've been aware of the phenomenon of bioluminescence since I was a little kid catching fireflies in a bottle to light up my room at night. With my background in chemistry & biology, I recently got very interested in this topic & its bearing on evolution.

Biolominescence occurs in certain bacteria, fungi, many forms of marine invertebrates like brittle stars, insects like fireflies & beetles, and in metazoans (animals with backbones) like fish. Simply put, an enzyme called luciferase reacts with oxygen & acts on an organic molecule known as a substrate (called luciferin) to create light of a specific color (wavelength). One would think that such an amazing system would have descended from a common ancestor but that is not the case. Most species that have this ability developed it on their own. The luciferase in bacteria is completely different from the luciferase found in more complex animals, as are the luciferins. There seems to be some force in Nature that is driving marine life to produce light.

Animals in the ocean use light for many activities: mating, hunting, defense, etc.

The first bacteria were anaerobes. When oxygen levels started to rise as a result of photosynthesis, anaerobic bacteria had to develop a metabolic system that used up the oxygen as it was toxic to them. It just happened that that system produced light.

See https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/fish/bioluminescence

Back
Top Bottom