• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Let my peope go

L

lamaror

Somehow we need to turn things around in this country. Wages
are going down for workers. half of the people don't have
medical insurance. We need a resurgence of Nationalism
instead of corporatism. Everyone is pissed off at Bush
because he seduced so women. I agree that is was a stupid
thing to do. Yet under Bush, We had record growth, companies
had record profits. Banks and large companies made more
profit under Bush than they are making now because of not
paying taxes. Basically the Far Right folks in govenment
talk and talk about America while cutting money for our
troops, sending troops into battle poorly equiped. They
bring in Patriot Act, take away our civil rights, scream
about terrorism(which is the major threat) then cut back
funds to gaurd our borders and to run the Coast Guard.
With Bush and Cheney, it is all lies and Bushshit, and
I quote from another person. What about the 13 billion that
was sent to Iraq to rebuild. It has now miraculously
disappeared and occasionally you hear it spoken of in the
news. Where is this money? I bet Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld,
and other know which large company took it illegally. Even I
could be wrong. It might never have been sent to Iraq in the
first place, and might be in right wing checking accounts.

Bush is a Dog, and Cheney is Fox, Rumsfeld is skunk and
Rice is a Possom. We need to turn away from Corporatism and
return to Nationalism. We need to rebuild America. God Bless
America. God please punish Bush and the Corporatism right
wing. Lord, How about a nice plague. Bush Cheney, let my
people go.

Remember the old spiritual:
When Ameica was in corporate land, Let my people go
Oppressed so hard they could not stand, Let my people go.
Go down Moses, way down in Corporate Land.
Tell ole Bush and Cheney.
Let my people go.
 
Last edited:

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
lamaror said:
Somehow we need to turn things around in this country. Wages
are going down for workers. half of the people don't have
medical insurance. We need a resurgence of Nationalism
instead of corporatism. Everyone is pissed off at Bush
because he seduced so women. I agree that is was a stupid
thing to do. Yet under Bush, We had record growth, companies
had record profits. Banks and large companies made more
profit under Bush than they are making now because of not
paying taxes. Basically the Far Right folks in govenment
talk and talk about America while cutting money for our
troops, sending troops into battle poorly equiped. They
bring in Patriot Act, take away our civil rights, scream
about terrorism(which is the major threat) then cut back
funds to gaurd our borders and to run the Coast Guard.
With Bush and Cheney, it is all lies and Bushshit, and
I quote from another person. What about the 13 billion that
was sent to Iraq to rebuild. It has now miraculously
disappeared and occasionally you hear it spoken of in the
news. Where is this money? I bet Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld,
and other know which large company took it illegally. Even I
could be wrong. It might never have been sent to Iraq in the
first place, and might be in right wing checking accounts.

Bush is a Dog, and Cheney is Fox, Rumsfeld is skunk and
Rice is a Possom. We need to turn away from Corporatism and
return to Nationalism. We need to rebuild America. God Bless
America. God please punish Bush and the Corporatism right
wing. Lord, How about a nice plague. Bush Cheney, let my
people go.

Remember the old spiritual:
When Ameica was in corporate land, Let my people go
Oppressed so hard they could not stand, Let my people go.
Go down Moses, way down in Corporate Land.
Tell ole Bush and Cheney.
Let my people go.


I live in Northwest Ohio...I now make more money than I ever have before. I landed the job I have now juts 6 months ago. I'll explain a little personal history here: After getting out of the military in 1989 I lived in NC for about a year just hanging out & living the life of a 20something...worked as a bouncer. Moved back to Ohio in early 1990. Went through a couple jobs until I got hired by an American/Japanese auto parts factory. Things were going great...I got married...had a child...pay was increasing...UNTIL - the Japs bought out the Americans. Suddenly no more quarterly raises...they became yearly raises & instead of averaging 50cents per hour they were about 30cents per hour. Also we lost our quarterly bonuses that averaged $150...in the couple years I stayed with the company after the Japanese take over we got one bonus that was less than $50. These were bonuses that were based on performance (productivity, efficiency, etc). One day after my immediate supervisor had a meeting with us complimenting us on our ability to meet or exceed the standard for all the incentives - we then went into a bigger meeting with the company president who ripped into us as if we'd all been sleeping on the job (this job was from the early 90s to the mid 90s). 4 days later I quit. Took a welding job that started out as a cut in pay but in less than a year I was making more than if I had stayed at the Japanese factory (by the way it was Bridgestone APM). After several years working this great welding job (never welded before but became very good at it & found I actually really enjoyed welding & fabricating) they local owner (the company was Fletcher Machine) sold out to a German corporation (DUR...the "U" has the two little dots above it). Of course things went down hill again(this job was from the mid 90s to the late 90s). This time they went from 160 employees down to about 40. I got caught in the lay-off. Next job paid half of what I was making (about 1999-2000)...left there to make a little more(about 2000-2001)...worked that job until I was laid off due to "insourcing" --- we made parts for the Tank Plant in Lima, Ohio. They decided they could save money if they did the work themselves...so I was out of a job(late 2001 or maybe early 2002). By the way...after I got laid off from Fletcher Machine I have been without medical insurance(about1998). After the last lay off I started my own business with my wife...who still runs the business even though I no longer work with her...we tripled the size of the company in less than two years...this was during our supposed recession. Then I got an opportunity to get the job I have now. I work for Norfolk Southern Railroad. I now have medical insurance (probably the best I've ever had). After the quality of life increasing in the early 90s & then decreasing in the late 90s it's starting to look good again here in the new millennium.

...By the way...Bush has raised pay for our soldiers...increased their benefits package...increased their hazard duty pay...even has enacted a provision that will pay 100% retirement & 100% disability to a disabled/retired veteran with at least 50% or higher disability by 2014. After several searches & conversation with veterans I found that the only cut came in the form of an increase of "co-pays" for retirees (it went from $6 to $9 for prescriptions).
 

ShamMol

Only Way Round is Through
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,988
Reaction score
10
Location
Pasadena, California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Yes Bush has done some for our soldiers, but not nearly enough, especially in the way of medical care for those returning from war who are not active military personell (aka reserves or guard)
 

Datamonkee

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
216
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando, Florida
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well, a little insight into the mind of the Japanese business men. They work very hard and pay you what they feel you have earned. They have an incredibly strong work ethic, and sense of personal pride in their jobs. That is why American management has been sent to take course from Japanese techniques. Americans have an extraordinarily inflated sense of self worth. Americans figure they should get paid $20 an hour for putting a screw into a car frame on an assembly line. And then they produce cars that are structurally unsound or weak. We pay computer technicians anywhere from $14 dollars an hour up wards to hundreds an hour. The labor required in computer software takes minimal effort, and not as much school as an associates degree. We also demand health care, paid vacations, and "benefits" for minimal effort. We then complain when companies take those jobs over seas where the attendance is better, the work ethic is better, and the demand for pay is lower. We are a spoiled country. It isn't because the cost of living changes. It changes when the companies have to put the expense of paying American workers into the price of their products. Those increase every time the Unions strike for more money for less work. Keeping payroll down for retail is getting to be a nightmare. You cannot get people in to work for minimum wage to do menial labor anymore. People expect $10 an hour to straighten shirts and punch a register. And you wonder why GAP jeans are $70 a pair. We need to get back to our roots. Work hard and get paid for what we do, not what we think we earned. Americans have grown lazy and fat.
 
L

lamaror

Somehow we need to turn things around in this country. Wages
are going down for workers. half of the people don't have
medical insurance. We need a resurgence of Nationalism
instead of corporatism. Everyone is pissed off at Clinton
because he seduced so women. I agree that is was a stupid
thing to do. Yet under Clinto, We had record growth, companies
had record profits. Banks and large companies made more
profit under Clinton than they are making now because of not
paying taxes. Basically the Far Right folks in govenment
talk and talk about America while cutting money for our
troops, sending troops into battle poorly equiped. They
bring in Patriot Act, take away our civil rights, scream
about terrorism(which is the major threat) then cut back
funds to gaurd our borders and to run the Coast Guard.
With Bush and Cheney, it is all lies and Bushshit, and
I quote from another person. What about the 13 billion that
was sent to Iraq to rebuild. It has now miraculously
disappeared and occasionally you hear it spoken of in the
news. Where is this money? I bet Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld,
and other know which large company took it illegally. Even I
could be wrong. It might never have been sent to Iraq in the
first place, and might be in right wing checking accounts.

Bush is a Dog, and Cheney is Fox, Rumsfeld is skunk and
Rice is a Possom. We need to turn away from Corporatism and
return to Nationalism. We need to rebuild America. God Bless
America. God please punish Bush and the Corporatism right
wing. Lord, How about a nice plague. Bush Cheney, let my
people go.

Remember the old spiritual:
When Ameica was in corporate land, Let my people go
Oppressed so hard they could not stand, Let my people go.
Go down Moses, way down in Corporate Land.
Tell ole Bush and Cheney.
Let my people go.
:2wave:
 
L

lamaror

Bush turned down the raises for the troops. Yet he pays the Mercenaries working for Security services much more than the troops Get. Bush is a master liar. Everything that he does is for corporate profits. The American People are being duped and deceived. To Believe Bush is the same a believing Satan. :(

Let My People Go
 

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Datamonkee said:
Well, a little insight into the mind of the Japanese business men. They work very hard and pay you what they feel you have earned. They have an incredibly strong work ethic, and sense of personal pride in their jobs. That is why American management has been sent to take course from Japanese techniques. Americans have an extraordinarily inflated sense of self worth. Americans figure they should get paid $20 an hour for putting a screw into a car frame on an assembly line. And then they produce cars that are structurally unsound or weak. We pay computer technicians anywhere from $14 dollars an hour up wards to hundreds an hour. The labor required in computer software takes minimal effort, and not as much school as an associates degree. We also demand health care, paid vacations, and "benefits" for minimal effort. We then complain when companies take those jobs over seas where the attendance is better, the work ethic is better, and the demand for pay is lower. We are a spoiled country. It isn't because the cost of living changes. It changes when the companies have to put the expense of paying American workers into the price of their products. Those increase every time the Unions strike for more money for less work. Keeping payroll down for retail is getting to be a nightmare. You cannot get people in to work for minimum wage to do menial labor anymore. People expect $10 an hour to straighten shirts and punch a register. And you wonder why GAP jeans are $70 a pair. We need to get back to our roots. Work hard and get paid for what we do, not what we think we earned. Americans have grown lazy and fat.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in Findlay, Ohio pays a piece rate for tire builders...these guys can make upwards of $100,000 a year if they want to work that hard...$80,000 to $90,000 is pretty average for a tire builder...compare that to what Bridgestone/Firestone now pays since the Bridgestone take over & then add in the recall they had a couple years ago in which Cooper filled their orders...gee I'd say this American company employing American workers is doing pretty darn good...a quality pay scale & benefits will attract quality workers.
 

Datamonkee

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
216
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando, Florida
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Arthur Fonzarelli said:
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in Findlay, Ohio pays a piece rate for tire builders...these guys can make upwards of $100,000 a year if they want to work that hard...$80,000 to $90,000 is pretty average for a tire builder...compare that to what Bridgestone/Firestone now pays since the Bridgestone take over & then add in the recall they had a couple years ago in which Cooper filled their orders...gee I'd say this American company employing American workers is doing pretty darn good...a quality pay scale & benefits will attract quality workers.

100k a year, are you kidding. For putting tires together? That is EXACTLY my point. I know doctors and lawyers that don't make that kind of money. How much college do you have to go to for Tire building?! I'm in the wrong business.
 

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Datamonkee said:
100k a year, are you kidding. For putting tires together? That is EXACTLY my point. I know doctors and lawyers that don't make that kind of money. How much college do you have to go to for Tire building?! I'm in the wrong business.
If you know a doctor or a lawyer not making at least $100,000 a year they must suck at their jobs.

...So you'd rather pay someone $8 per hour (about $17,000 a year) to make the tires that will carry your car down the highway...remember the the Bridgestone/Firestone recall? The tires were falling apart on the road...coming apart & causing accidents...even death.

...by the way...not all of them make $100,000 a year...it is a piece rate job...they get paid for exactly what they produce. Those that make 60 or 70 thousand aren't as motivated as those making 80 to 90 thousand...It's probably the fairest pay system there is.
 

Datamonkee

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
216
Reaction score
2
Location
Orlando, Florida
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
And that is my exact point. For some reason, this country thinks that they should have to pay for quality. Quality should be a given part of a job, not something I have to pay extra for. Americans are the only ones that expect to pay for quality. We pay waiters a pittance because we are expected to tip them for doing their jobs. They do not do this in Europe. You are paid to wait tables, you do this, and you do it well. A tip is something for going above and beyond the call of duty, but now it is something that is expected when you sit at a table. We should not have to pay for quality. It should be expected, and there was a time where quality and American meant the same thing. Then unions and "fair wage" organizations got involved and hyped up the price tag on things. People were told they should make more money to do less work, and if they don't feel they are getting paid enough, then they should do a shoddy job to make a point. The American work ethic (and I use that term loosely) sucks more than Paris Hilton's acting.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I was at a union job in 1993 loading trucks....

After the first few days, I was loading the trucks faster than anyone else...

The other workers TOLD me to slow down because I was making them look bad. We had a certain amount of time to load them, and loading them any quicker was considered WRONG.

The American Union at its finest...
 

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
galenrox said:
Depends if you're going for quality or quantity, because pay per piece encourages the latter, and not the former.
All parts must pass a quality control inspection. Cooper is not the company that made crappy tires that needed to be recalled.
 
H

HTColeman

BTW, doctor's don't make anywhere near as much as they used to, some of them are actually struggling, because they have to pay so much for malpractice insurance, which is steadily increasing. Most of their check goes to that.

But, I agree, I am tired of being fed the lies and vague ideals of George W. Bush. Unemployment, war, gas prices, welfare cuts, LET MY PEOPLE GO!
 
Top Bottom