• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let gays begin marrying, Schwarzenegger urges

Marriage = $$$

As long as the government doesnt force religious places to perform ceremonies everything should be fine.

No one has ever proposed that. Nor would such a thing fly.

No one has ever proposed that. Nor would such a thing fly.

Well....according the the millions of dollars that the Mormons spent propogandizing, that's what is going to happen. Do you mean that the Mormons lied?

Well....according the the millions of dollars that the Mormons spent propogandizing, that's what is going to happen. Do you mean that the Mormons lied?

If anyone said that, yes. They lied.

If anyone said that, yes. They lied.

You wouldn't suggest that the Mormons might spend millions of dollars on an extremely deceitful campaign in order to sway the public that was strongly in favor of gay marriage, would you? Isn't lying "in the name of God" still lying?

You wouldn't suggest that the Mormons might spend millions of dollars on an extremely deceitful campaign in order to sway the public that was strongly in favor of gay marriage, would you? Isn't lying "in the name of God" still lying?

Again, if they said that they lied. It doesn't matter why they lied, only that they lied.

That's would be my only gripe, if it took place.

It should be double edged as well.
No one should prevent religious institutions from marrying gay people.

nor should institutions be forced to marry gays.

Good for Arnold and I laugh at anybody that thinks CHurches will be forced to marry gays. Thats silly and simply not true.

Churches are ALREADY PROTECTED and why would gay marriage change that? Churches already discriminate how they see fit and choose not to marry STRAIGHT couples if they see fit not to

sorry churches are safe and its just dramatics and an appeal to emotion that smart people dont buy

Good for Arnold and I laugh at anybody that thinks CHurches will be forced to marry gays. Thats silly and simply not true.

Churches are ALREADY PROTECTED and why would gay marriage change that? Churches already discriminate how they see fit and choose not to marry STRAIGHT couples if they see fit not to

sorry churches are safe and its just dramatics and an appeal to emotion that smart people dont buy

Granted private property already protects them but Vermont still felt they had to put in a clause in their Gay Marriage bill just to cut assholes off at the pass.

Granted private property already protects them but Vermont still felt they had to put in a clause in their Gay Marriage bill just to cut assholes off at the pass.

if they felt the need to REINFORCE the churches protection good for them but it probably didnt come from the threat if us losing the 1st amendment but from the drama queens, fear mongers and just to shut people up with their conspiracy theories and applies to emotion.

I say if they added it, its good work but its just another lock on a already protected issue. :)

So Schwarzenegger believes in imposing his morals on everyone and ignoring the voters? Great.

So Schwarzenegger believes in imposing his morals on everyone and ignoring the voters? Great.

In this case the voters are wrong, and are imposing THIER morals on everyone.

Religious institutions can choose NOT to recognize it for all i care. But a government which is suppose to not discriminate, they must recognize it.

It's called liberty, thought you guys liked that?

In this case the voters are wrong, and are imposing THIER morals on everyone.

Religious institutions can choose NOT to recognize it for all i care. But a government which is suppose to not discriminate, they must recognize it.

It's called liberty, thought you guys liked that?

Absolutely right. Well stated.

if you want to be inaccurate and play word games then yes LMAO
if you want to live in reality then no, he isnt "imposing" anything

what he wants if for YOU and your NEIGHBOR to both get treated equally and have the same rights and BOTH be able to practice the morals you want, what you want is people do only do what YOU say and to only follow YOUR morals.

But lets say he was a judge and made a ruling that wouldnt be imposing either he would simply be fulfilling his constitutional mandated roll of safeguarding the peoples liberty.

in n 1948, about 90% of American Adults opposed interracial marriage when the Supreme Court of California legalized it, and California became the first state that allowed loving, committed interracial couples to marry.

and then not until 1967(19 years later), about 72% were opposed to interracial marriage. This was the year when the U.S. Supreme Court was legalized interracial marriage everywhere in the U.S.

and then not until 1991 (24 years later), those adults opposed to interracial marriage became a minority for the first time

Damn judges fulfilling their constitutional mandated roll of safeguarding the peoples liberty its always wrong when they do that even though thats how our system works to protect itself <snicker><sarcasm>

Good for Arnold and I laugh at anybody that thinks CHurches will be forced to marry gays.

Unfortunately, it was THAT exact argument that swayed a significant portion of voters in California against gay marriage in prop 8. The proposition was passing by double digits until the Mormon church and other right-wing groups inundated the media here with highly deceitful ads claiming that Churches would be forced to marry gays and schools would be forced to teach children that gay marriage is "normal".

You and I laugh at how ridiculous the arguments are, however, the sad truth is that there are a large number of people out there that are gullible enough to be mislead by the Mormon propoganda

How is Arnold imposing his morals on anyone? He is simply preventing the right-wing from forcing others to live by THEIR morals. Under Arnold's plan, no one is forced to enter into a gay marriage or to personally "accept" gay marriage. You would still have every right in the world to think it is wrong...and teach your children that it is wrong. No one is trying to prevent that (which WOULD be imposing his morals on you). They are just saying that you don't have a right to expect others to accept your morals as their own.

Unfortunately, it was THAT exact argument that swayed a significant portion of voters in California against gay marriage in prop 8. The proposition was passing by double digits until the Mormon church and other right-wing groups inundated the media here with highly deceitful ads claiming that Churches would be forced to marry gays and schools would be forced to teach children that gay marriage is "normal".

You and I laugh at how ridiculous the arguments are, however, the sad truth is that there are a large number of people out there that are gullible enough to be mislead by the Mormon propoganda

Sadly. sadly. :(

Its very hard to stop sheep from being sheep I agree, reality can smack them right in the face and they still have no clue what hit them. IMO theres no nice way to put it, anybody that think that gay marriage will magically make the 1st amendment disappear is a moron.

How is Arnold imposing his morals on anyone? He is simply preventing the right-wing from forcing others to live by THEIR morals. Under Arnold's plan, no one is forced to enter into a gay marriage or to personally "accept" gay marriage. You would still have every right in the world to think it is wrong...and teach your children that it is wrong. No one is trying to prevent that (which WOULD be imposing his morals on you). They are just saying that you don't have a right to expect others to accept your morals as their own.

exactly what I have said many nmany times but again common sense is wasted on some people and ignored by others

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/78677-gay-marriage-right-stop-part-ii.html

Back
Top Bottom