• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lessons in maths.

After reading the first page of this thread.... umm... What in the hell?

I thought that he came across as a shy and retiring chap. He obviously knows nothing about the UK. Enough derailing, back to the maths.

I've spent a few months in Southern England. And I even dated an English girl I met in Ecuador.

I was just taking the piss.

The Brits also say chips and crisps. They say boot and windscreen and torches and a lot of sh1t that doesn't make any sense. They drive on the wrong side of the road and they're letting Somalians and Romanians take over their country without firing a shot. The English are sort of retarded, and that's why our ancestors loaded into rickety wooden boats to sail for months to a dangerous land with no infrastructure. To get the hell away from those arrogant asses.
And it is worse here in New Zealand... they say all sorts of crap that isn't even English.

Swim suit = togs
white out = twink
permanent marker = vivid

What?

Car hood = Bonnet
auto shop = panel beater
band aid = plaster
Kitchen counter = bench
Guy who fixes up his car = boy racer
tired = knackered
eraser = rubber
Hiking = tramping
cotton candy = candy floss
cup of tea = cuppa
flip flops = jandal
sweat shirt = jumper

There are some really strange expressions too that I can never remember but when I hear them I will ask what the heck it even meant.

I've spent a few months in Southern England. And I even dated an English girl I met in Ecuador.

I was just taking the piss.

Fair enough. We need a taking the piss emoticon :) I can see that you have spent time in the UK. You have grasped the taking the urine concept.

And it is worse here in New Zealand... they say all sorts of crap that isn't even English.

Swim suit = togs
white out = twink
permanent marker = vivid

What?

Car hood = Bonnet
auto shop = panel beater
band aid = plaster
Kitchen counter = bench
Guy who fixes up his car = boy racer
tired = knackered
eraser = rubber
Hiking = tramping
cotton candy = candy floss
cup of tea = cuppa
flip flops = jandal
sweat shirt = jumper

There are some really strange expressions too that I can never remember but when I hear them I will ask what the heck it even meant.

Let's see. Many of those are UK expressions. Knackered comes from a knacker, a guy who cuts up dead horses and sells the bits for pet food and glue so if you're knackered that means that you are finished and unable to carry on, hood and bonnet are synonyms, a panel beater is somebody who knocks out dents in a car, a rubber because you rub things out with it, plaster is Old English look up the etymology, tramping means walking, candy floss because it is floss made out of sugar candy, cuppa is an abbreviation which came into use because of an advert for tea.
"One of his eyes was closed up, and had a French plaister across it, but the other stared and rolled enough for two."Athelstane Ford" by Allen Upward

Let's see. Many of those are UK expressions. Knackered comes from a knacker, a guy who cuts up dead horses and sells the bits for pet food and glue so if you're knackered that means that you are finished and unable to carry on, hood and bonnet are synonyms, a panel beater is somebody who knocks out dents in a car, a rubber because you rub things out with it, plaster is Old English look up the etymology, tramping means walking, candy floss because it is floss made out of sugar candy, cuppa is an abbreviation which came into use because of an advert for tea.
"One of his eyes was closed up, and had a French plaister across it, but the other stared and rolled enough for two."Athelstane Ford" by Allen Upward

I get most of those but c'mon! togs? :lol:

I get most of those but c'mon! togs? :lol:

In the UK it means clothes. All togged up, well-dressed. It comes from toga and then later togman, a cloak or coat. When I was young swimming trunks were often called swimming togs.

Fair enough. We need a taking the piss emoticon :) I can see that you have spent time in the UK. You have grasped the taking the urine concept.

The Brits are my favorite people in the world. I always tell them that they're the biggest bastards that the world has ever known, but that they're still my favorite and that I should have been a Brit meself. And then they always laugh. They can take a joke like that and then have beers with you in spite of me saying they're bastards. In the US, it's maybe 50/50 the response you'd get to that remark.

If I'm in South America and hear that beautiful Posh or Cockney or Geordie or Scot or Irish accent, then I always go say hello. I don't mean to leave out the Welsh, but I just haven't many.

Please show how it is wrong?

Code:
l.     \
l 5mm.    \  
l.           \
l.            \
----------- Angle X
  30mm
The correct answer for angle X is about 9.5 degrees. Multiplying anything by 30 does not arrive at this.

Forgive the the bad text triangle

Last edited:
Code:
l.     \
l 5mm.    \  
l.           \
l.            \
----------- Angle X
  30mm
The correct answer for angle X is about 9.5 degrees. Multiplying anything by 30 does not arrive at this.

Forgive the the bad text triangle

Wouldn't you say you justified it yourself?

Have you nothing say about your mistake?

Well, now that it is working, i am glad my theory manifested itself into a working reality. otherwise, i am reconsidering my 'omniscience.'

Well, now that it is working, i am glad my theory manifested itself into a working reality. otherwise, i am reconsidering my 'omniscience.'

What is working? All you have done is post nonsense.

It hasn't, though. Your formula is flat-out wrong.

Back
Top Bottom