• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lessons in engineering.

BrettNortje

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I have decided to debate this with all of you, as my ideas are simple yet better than what you would call 'conventional engineering.' is is something i have refined, and since you have not hard of it before, probably, then i wish to try to make some new ideas come to the fore. if you disagree, we can debate it, as this is a debate forum, yes?

Now, the first engine was a train engine and a ship engine. these worked on steam pushing gears from one point to the other, and these gears turned things attached to them around. this made the engine produce force to push forwards the vehicle or craft. then, we managed to get the steam to shove off, and instead made it so the heat from the 'fire' would create pressure. the best source of fuel for this pressure was oil, as it had a high boiling point yet was plentiful, so it did not disappear all at once, yet was an excellent conductor. the principles work the same.

Today, e are trying to maximize output from these gears by creating more pressure. his is the fundamental ideal of engineering regarding engines, and if you didn't know, now you know, yes?

So, what else is engineering about? i would say it is about mechanisms, yes? if the mechanism is joined to another mechanism - you see those funny looking 'hooks' on the turning wheels? - then they will also turn like a windmill.

This is the core concept of engineering. as soon as everyone seems to understand, we can move on.

I have decided to debate this with all of you, as my ideas are simple yet better than what you would call 'conventional engineering.' is is something i have refined, and since you have not hard of it before, probably, then i wish to try to make some new ideas come to the fore. if you disagree, we can debate it, as this is a debate forum, yes?

Now, the first engine was a train engine and a ship engine. these worked on steam pushing gears from one point to the other, and these gears turned things attached to them around. this made the engine produce force to push forwards the vehicle or craft. then, we managed to get the steam to shove off, and instead made it so the heat from the 'fire' would create pressure. the best source of fuel for this pressure was oil, as it had a high boiling point yet was plentiful, so it did not disappear all at once, yet was an excellent conductor. the principles work the same.

Today, e are trying to maximize output from these gears by creating more pressure. his is the fundamental ideal of engineering regarding engines, and if you didn't know, now you know, yes?

So, what else is engineering about? i would say it is about mechanisms, yes? if the mechanism is joined to another mechanism - you see those funny looking 'hooks' on the turning wheels? - then they will also turn like a windmill.

This is the core concept of engineering. as soon as everyone seems to understand, we can move on.

Most of the people in this forum are adults with a basic education.

If you have an issue to discuss, make that point in your OP and then roll with it.

If a member of the forum needs more education after posting a reply...give it to them then.

Meanwhile, what is the actual point of this thread? :confused:

Most of the people in this forum are adults with a basic education.

If you have an issue to discuss, make that point in your OP and then roll with it.

If a member of the forum needs more education after posting a reply...give it to them then.

Meanwhile, what is the actual point of this thread? :confused:

A voyage of discovery, mind you. if we all get together and discuss the concepts we find difficult, then we can all work towards improving the concepts within all of us. haven't you ever had an idea you wanted to put forwards to be debated?

Let's see if we can make a telephone? that sounds easy enough, i mean, if you can use a paper cup and a bit of string, you got a two way communication, yes? add another string and you got a conference call telephone! seriously though, electronics is not that hard.

First, for you to make a telephone you need 'parts.' this can be achieved with a cable from one place to another, and a aerial. then, you need a receiver to hear through and a diaphragm to talk through. then, you need a dialing mechanism. this is a conventional telephone, but, let's say you have none of these?

In that case, to talk and hear, you need two toilet rolls first. then, you need to have a sensor on each toilet roll, you can add that by taking a 'wire' and attaching it to a thin covering on the end of the toilet roll you want to talk through. this wire will sense vibrations and then absorb energy from the voice of yours, and then transmit this energy from your side to the other. this can be done by taking the 'wires' and attaching them to 'hairs' or 'fibers,' like a loose connection of wires would look like, yes? these will sense the vibrations, but how do you get them into the wires to the other side? well, you need to have an electrical supply, taking mine;

You need to take the wire to a pot of alcohol. you need to warm the alcohol so as to generate heat, and then it is 'stored' in the liquid. this is like an engine of a car, with the pressure escaping a little bit, of course. the rest remains in the pot, yes, hot as hell! then, to get the energy from one side to the other, you need only yo stick a conductor inside the liquid, and then see the 'wires' conduct the heat. if you were to do this in something like hot 'liquid metal,' the wires would melt, so use alcohol please? this goes in between the two telephones, of course.

Then, you need only feed this wiring into the pot, all of them you want to use. this will act as a switchboard from now on too, okay?

Maybe if you were to want to be able to dial a certain telephone, you would like to send a signal to the other one? this can be done by sending a signal to the switchboard, that it redirects. this is like a circuit, mind you, where the circuits connect in the right way to redirect the 'current' to the right phone. redirection comes from making the electricity flow in that 'direction' or on those wires, and, then they will carry the current or message to the other side. this is like building a train set, basically, okay? your circuits could be made out of a circle that connects like a 'circular sprinkler' and then in the middle activates the 'extension' you are dialing. this is done by having certain parts connect with a lever, and disconnecting others, like a gear box changes your gears - this is done by connecting the stick to the part at the bottom. to do this with circuits, you need to dial a 'combination.'

So, you got your actual phone system, what about the phones?

If you were to observe that force from your voice will be felt by the mechanisms, then you may need one. this can be done by taking fibers or hairs and connecting them in between the wires and the cover for the toilet roll. this connection and communication between fibers and wires can be done by sending a signal by electrical pulses, where the fibers will vibrate on the wires they are connected to, giving it the added value of 'sound' or attaching the new sound chord to your switchboard.

Or, you could observe the 'connector' of hairs and wires as a pressure hammer, sending hammer tones to the other side. digitally, it is much better, of course, but, we got to work with what we got! the more the fibers feel, and the 'different tones,' are represented by pressure from your voice being felt directly by the hairs, and then sending 'something' along the second wire to the 'switchboard.'

There is your telephone!

I'm not sure you really understand the meaning of the word "Debate."

I'm not sure you really understand the meaning of the word "Debate."

I believe that we can debate the ideas put forth by each other, and i have yet to see my positions challenged, or not understood they are being challenged.

I believe that we can debate the ideas put forth by each other, and i have yet to see my positions challenged, or not understood they are being challenged.

Your "position" that "engineering is about mechanisms?" Your "position" that is actually just a two-sentence version of early engine development?

My position is that the sky is blue. Can you see why this isn't really grounds for a debate?

So, what else is engineering about? i would say it is about mechanisms, yes?

mechanism: a system of parts working together in a machine; a piece of machinery.
engineering: the art or science of making practical application of the knowledge of pure sciences, as physics or chemistry

Is a dam a mechanism?

Would be nice to debate you if I knew what you wanted to debate.

mechanism: a system of parts working together in a machine; a piece of machinery.
engineering: the art or science of making practical application of the knowledge of pure sciences, as physics or chemistry

Is a dam a mechanism?

Would be nice to debate you if I knew what you wanted to debate.

I want to match wits in engineering techniques.

Then you will have to further research the definition of "engineering" and how "technique" is used (I do not know).
I'd like to help you out but to do so I would need to know specifically what you are referring to.
An Electrical Engineer could teach me a lot since I am barely beyond Ohms Law.
A Civil engineer could teach me a lot since I am not much beyond Statics and Strength of Material.
See? I can't help you unless I CAN help you.

Automotive Engineering I may be able to help
Aerospace Engineering I may be able to help

Electronics is easier than you might think. just looking at a motherboard for a computer, for example, might seem daunting, yes? what you need to understand about electronics as it is today, it is a combination of on and off switches that merely conduct a current or do not.

Let's look at a light bulb? this simple electronic device will conduct current through the bulb when it is switched on by connecting a switch to 'on' and letting electricity run through it. this electricity is actually just a 'unstable connection' that gives off energy, of course, and as it goes through the filament of the bulb, it glows due to the energy being twisted round the filament and letting the electric current be given off through visual means. this would be where the bulb just diverts the electric current so the actual current carries light to you - it is electricity you are seeing.

So, do not be afraid of electronics!

Electronics is easier than you might think. just looking at a motherboard for a computer, for example, might seem daunting, yes? what you need to understand about electronics as it is today, it is a combination of on and off switches that merely conduct a current or do not.

Let's look at a light bulb? this simple electronic device will conduct current through the bulb when it is switched on by connecting a switch to 'on' and letting electricity run through it. this electricity is actually just a 'unstable connection' that gives off energy, of course, and as it goes through the filament of the bulb, it glows due to the energy being twisted round the filament and letting the electric current be given off through visual means. this would be where the bulb just diverts the electric current so the actual current carries light to you - it is electricity you are seeing.

So, do not be afraid of electronics!

Gosh, we had no idea how a light bulb works. Thanks.

How does it work then?
Delta V
Change in state
The transistor is never off as in no current whatsoever. It drops to near zero in a computer but is never void of current.
Logic gates can be designed in hundreds of ways, not just on or off, and not just with electrical current. Best to think of it like, "when it goes high or when it goes low".

You don't have engineering techniques. You've never engineered anything in your life.

I am glad we can agree on something.

No, no, let me clarify.

You don't know how a lightbulb works. The rest of us do.

The current doesn't carry light. That's not how electricity works.

No, no, let me clarify.

You don't know how a lightbulb works. The rest of us do.

The current doesn't carry light. That's not how electricity works.

I think i said that the current gets converted into light, not by some hocus pocus things we do not understand, it merely goes through a filament that reflects the current.

Do you honestly think there is more to it than that? a television is also carrying electricity, that is why we see the pixels light up. it is merely electricity.

I think i said that the current gets converted into light, not by some hocus pocus things we do not understand, it merely goes through a filament that reflects the current.

Do you honestly think there is more to it than that? a television is also carrying electricity, that is why we see the pixels light up. it is merely electricity.

We don't see electricity in the filament. It's not reflecting current. Current isn't being converted into light. (although in the case of an LED it's a close enough description I suppose)

You can't see electricity.

We don't see electricity in the filament. It's not reflecting current. Current isn't being converted into light. (although in the case of an LED it's a close enough description I suppose)

You can't see electricity.

Sunlight carries a charge and has photons in it. the reason we see stuff around us is because the photons 'electrify' them. this is on a scale below 'fire' yet these things are illuminated due to charges. a fire is also a set of unstable electrons. heat is the only energy, making electricity from it, and that is why the bulb gets 'hot.'

The filament does not reflect light. Is English your first language? You don(t know what the word reflect means.

Back
Top Bottom