• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legally armed woman kills man with AR15 who opened fire on party

Crakhobarbie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
A legally armed woman with a concealed carry weapon successfully shot and killed a man who had opened fire with an AR15 at a party she was attending. Thank goodness she was there and had the wherewithal and skill to remove the threat. I was an avid target shooter and reloader for over 40 years. I support concealed and open carry.
But, I also know that we need to start requiring firearm training certification programs and Psych evaluations before anyone is allowed to purchase a weapon. Will these step stop all mass shootings? No. But with how things are going in today's day and age, it needs to be done.

A legally armed woman with a concealed carry weapon successfully shot and killed a man who had opened fire with an AR15 at a party she was attending. Thank goodness she was there and had the wherewithal and skill to remove the threat. I was an avid target shooter and reloader for over 40 years. I support concealed and open carry.
But, I also know that we need to start requiring firearm training certification programs and Psych evaluations before anyone is allowed to purchase a weapon. Will these step stop all mass shootings? No. But with how things are going in today's day and age, it needs to be done.

I own guns and I'll cheerfully take background checks and pysch evals.
I know that I will pass all it with flying colors.
Speaking only for myself, I acknowledge not being cut out for the "head on a swivel" type hyper-vigilance required of a CC situation, so I doubt I'll ever apply for such a permit.
But that doesn't mean that there aren't responsible people who CAN.

Or maybe the deadly situation could have been avoided altogether if the number of people allowed to own guns of any kind was severely restricted. That is how it's done in other civilized countries, which don't have our kind of mass shooting problem.

A legally armed woman with a concealed carry weapon successfully shot and killed a man who had opened fire with an AR15 at a party she was attending.
Good to hear that there is one less bad guy in this country!

Kudos to the lady.

Or maybe the deadly situation could have been avoided altogether if the number of people allowed to own guns of any kind was severely restricted. That is how it's done in other civilized countries, which don't have our kind of mass shooting problem.
That is an extreme position in our country and does nothing but prevent compromise and keep us divided.

Assuming the story is accurate, glad nobody else got physically hurt, but this is still going to leave a lot of psychological wounds.

Well, you found one instance that turned out well. Here's one where it didn't...

You don't really want to get into how often good guys getting into confrontations are killed do you?

This sort of thing happens far more often than ever makes national-level news. I posted a dozen in another thread, and that's just scratching the surface.

At least strongly suggesting training. Should not make it a requirement.

Does not seem to have changed much in the UK

This sort of thing happens far more often than ever makes national-level news. I posted a dozen in another thread, and that's just scratching the surface.
But it doesn’t happen as much as some proponents of guns believe. Nowhere near as much.

Something is definitely 'off' about this story.

The dead perp supposedly fired his weapon at a crowd of 30 to 40 people, yet didn't hit a single one. The woman who shot him was able to put multiple bullets into him - with a pistol.

from the linked Insider page
Police responded to the shooting at about 10:45 p.m. local time on Wednesday night in Charleston, Lt. Tony Hazelett of the Charleston Police Department said.

They identified a victim, 37-year-old Dennis Butler, who suffered multiple gunshot wounds near the Vista View Apartments on Renaissance Circle.

"Upon further investigation, we quickly learned that the victim kind of turned into like a gunman," Hazelett said in a press conference aired by WCHS-TV.

Hazelett said Butler had been at the apartment complex earlier in the day, where he was approached "about speeding while there was a birthday party and graduation party going on" nearby at the park across the street.

"He got mad and then left the complex. Shortly after, he drove back and pulled up in front of the 1300 Renaissance. He got in the back seat and pulled an AR-style rifle and started firing into the crowd," Hazelett said, noting that there were approximately 30-40 people at the party.

The dead perp supposedly fired his weapon at a crowd of 30 to 40 people, yet didn't hit a single one. The woman who shot him was able to put multiple bullets into him - with a pistol.

Something off? Oh...you mean no innocent victims that the media and the left could trot out to push AR-15 bans? Gotcha.

She was trained he was not

Something off? Oh...you mean no innocent victims that the media and the left could trot out to push AR-15 bans? Gotcha.

Gahh! I am not in this case talking about "innocent victims". I am wondering how the dead gunman could fire into a crowd and not hit a single person while using a semi-auto weapon, yet a woman with a pistol was able to put "multiple" bullets into him. How far apart were they? How far was the initial shooter from the crowd? Was the woman in the crowd or was she standing behind the guy?

Weren’t you a LEO or still one?

Sure does seem odd.

I guess the real hero here is the lawmakers who don’t require training to own an AR15, meaning the owners will be incompetent shots.

The other explanation is that he was firing yo scare them and intentionally not trying to hit anyone.

Gahh! I am not in this case talking about "innocent victims". I am wondering how the dead gunman could fire into a crowd and not hit a single person while using a semi-auto weapon, yet a woman with a pistol was able to put "multiple" bullets into him. How far apart were they? How far was the initial shooter from the crowd? Was the woman in the crowd or was she standing behind the guy?
So you express doubt simply because you do not know all the facts? The AR-15 is not an automatic weapon. He could not hold down the trigger and spray the crowd. The woman was carrying a concealed weapon and he may not have been that good of a shot. She obviously was.

Good for her, but wouldn't it haver been better if he hadn't be able to open fire on the party to start with?

Good for her, but wouldn't it haver been better if he hadn't be able to open fire on the party to start with?
He was a violent felon who had been in prison multiple times, He probably should have still been in prison. Perhaps part of the problem is too many violent individuals are released on parole before serving their entire sentence.

So you express doubt simply because you do not know all the facts? The AR-15 is not an automatic weapon. He could not hold down the trigger and spray the crowd. The woman was carrying a concealed weapon and he may not have been that good of a shot. She obviously was.

Are you unable to read my words? - here they are bigger for you " . . . using a semi-auto weapon" Don't you know the difference between semi-auto and fully auto? If you don't, get some training.

maybe all the dead folks being gunned down seems more important than the folks gunning down the folks who are trying to gun down more folks.

Back
Top Bottom