• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Legalizing the Sale of Organs

Should people be allowed to sell their organs?

• Yes- It's their body, their choice

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No- It it will only benifit the wealthy

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
steen said:
The patient will also die if they can afford the transplant but are unable to obtain an organ because you selfishly hold on to yours.

Have you donated any of your organs lately?

steen said:
The patient will also die if they can afford the transplant but are unable to obtain an organ because you selfishly hold on to yours.
:rofl

What a hypocrite!

"Please don't bring abortion into this, they are completely different subjects, and there are plenty of threads if you wish to talk about abortion."

They are not different. There is a blackmarket in this country...the sale of fetal body parts and organs.......And if the courts say a woman has the right to abort because its her own body, they shouldnt interfer with her making money on the deal. Right? Sell organs for profit.

Steen says a baby is not human until it is born. He would be for this, Right steen? He would have woman carry a child until 9 months,,,,,,,,,abort them and sell their organs. He says they are NOTHING until they are born anyway.

So Curt………You said, “No one should have any right to interfere in an agreed upon contract between two parties that only affect them and no one else.”

I am not sure if your pro-abortion or not……but by your statement here, you would think it was alright for two people (one being the pregnant woman) to agree on a deal to sell the aborted child’s organs to the other party?

This could be a big business…………woman having abortions to make money…………

jamesrage said:
Have you donated any of your organs lately?
I was on the bone marrow list, but per the wisdom of believing that anybody spending time in Europe has Mad Cow disease, I no longer am allowed on any donation lists or registry.

doughgirl said:
"Please don't bring abortion into this, they are completely different subjects, and there are plenty of threads if you wish to talk about abortion."

They are not different. There is a blackmarket in this country...the sale of fetal body parts and organs.......And if the courts say a woman has the right to abort because its her own body, they shouldnt interfer with her making money on the deal. Right? Sell organs for profit.

Steen says a baby is not human until it is born. He would be for this, Right steen? He would have woman carry a child until 9 months,,,,,,,,,abort them and sell their organs. He says they are NOTHING until they are born anyway.

So Curt………You said, “No one should have any right to interfere in an agreed upon contract between two parties that only affect them and no one else.”

I am not sure if your pro-abortion or not……but by your statement here, you would think it was alright for two people (one being the pregnant woman) to agree on a deal to sell the aborted child’s organs to the other party?

If you want to debate whether a woman should be allowed to sell her fetus' organs, start another ****ing thread to discuss it. Stop polluting this one with your irrelevant nonsense, troll. Why do you have to try to turn every single thread into an abortion debate?

no... abortion and the selling of fetus is an independent topic it's deserving of it's own thread.

I must admit. Normally I can see the other point of view in most debates, however I can't seem to grasp why anyone would want to make the selling of organs from a willing donor illegal. Basic economics of supply and demand with no moral disruption. Well there is always a way for someone to make an unethical buck off any situation but I don't see the bad out weighing the good here.

"Why do you have to try to turn every single thread into an abortion debate?'

To watch people who pro-choice abortion cringe. The sale of fetal organs has everything to do with this issue. But if you’re that traumatized over abortion and feel so bad about it, I shall refrain from upsetting you further.

I will make this comment about the poll.

How many of those who voted……..”selling your organs is ok, it’s their right and choice………would think it alright that the person say sell their heart to another person?

If you say yes, who would perform the operation? Would doctors be forced to murder one person to save the life of another? Would this doctor have the choice of whether to do it or not? Or should all doctors be forced to do it? (May I remind you that pharmacists are forced to hand out drugs that they have an moral and ethical issue against.)

And would there be an age limitation donation? If you put restrictions on who can do this then your taking away the right to donate away from someone you say should have the right to do it.

Jallman says,” The legal selling of organs is wholly unethical on many levels. There are far too many factors to consider...mental stability of both members of the transaction, whether duress is involved...not to mention the whole slew of criminal ramifications. I think that until stem cells are developed and can help repair damaged organs, our donor system is the very best offering our society can make”

I agree that it is unethical and the concerns you bring up also could pertain to the doctor assisted suicide issue as well.

And what insurance company would want to cover those who want to do this?

“Placing a value on human life will save a lot more lives,”

Oh right………….I have to say this sorry………what value does our government and those who are pro-choice put on the life of the unborn child. NO value. Why do they need to place a value on any other human life…………?

Sale to the highest bidder……….pro-choice sell whatever you want.

Jallman says, “what kind of integrity to the hypocratic oath do you suppose will be maintained?”

It isn’t maintained now. And the oath is not the same as it was years ago. Today’s medical students are given a modern version of the original.
The oath actually doesn’t have much significance to doctors except as a list of moral guidelines. I’m not sure it even has any legal force or consequences if broken.
I think the old Hipocratic oath says that a physician has to try to save lives, not take them away……

This is from the original, “To please no one will I prescribe a deadly drug nor give advice which may cause his death. Nor will I give a woman a pessary to procure abortion.” Boy have we changed.

doughgirl said:

Oh right………….I have to say this sorry………what value does our government and those who are pro-choice put on the life of the unborn child. NO value. Why do they need to place a value on any other human life…………?

Sale to the highest bidder……….pro-choice sell whatever you want.
Ah, but prolife is perfectly willing to put the value of the life of a kidney patient at zero, refusing that patient a right to life. So why don't you get off your hypocritical high horse. When will you admit that you ONLY see a right to life for an embryo or fetus. Once there is a thinking, feeling person, then the idea of a right to life immediately evaporates. Because it is not about life but about fault, as prolifers have admitted.

OMG...seriously...steen and doughgirl...if you want to talk about that subject...start a new thread.

"When will you admit that you ONLY see a right to life for an embryo or fetus."

If you had half a brain you would remember that I am against the death penalty. But you have such hate in your heart that you cant see beyond anything else. Hate is all you see. Absolutely all you see.

I am the only one in the world who sees a right to life for an embryo or fetus? What a moronic statment............what the hell is the whole abortion debate about?????? You have no clue.ha ha

I really think your an abortionist and you can't stand yourself.

jamesrage Quote:
Originally Posted by steen
"The patient will also die if they can afford the transplant but are unable to obtain an organ because you selfishly hold on to yours."

James asks Steen..... "Have you donated any of your organs lately?'

Gosh who in their right mind would want any of his organs anyway.

and Kandahar...........I see you answered none of the questions I presented in post 32................... I think they are valid ones and they are not about abortion.........:roll:

doughgirl said:

I would call myself pro-abortion, but to an extent. I'll not go into that here though.

My knowledge of medicine is little. For example- I'm not really sure how efficiently a fetus' organs would work in an adult or even a child. A fetus weighs very little, so I wouldn't think and organ from that fetus would sustain an adult for any length of time. Or even a small child for that matter.

Selling fetus parts will give rise to pregnancy for profit? I think you should apply some supply and demand to this theory. At present it is illegal to buy or sell organs. There are many abortions performed each year. So if organ trade were legalized there would be an excess of fetus' on the market for stem cell research or organ harvesting(your theory). The fact that there is an excess supply would drive the price down on fetus' making so that the costs of pregnancy-health, missed work-would outweigh any benefits.

How many of those who voted……..”selling your organs is ok, it’s their right and choice………would think it alright that the person say sell their heart to another person?

If you say yes, who would perform the operation? Would doctors be forced to murder one person to save the life of another? Would this doctor have the choice of whether to do it or not? Or should all doctors be forced to do it? (May I remind you that pharmacists are forced to hand out drugs that they have an moral and ethical issue against.)

Sell your heart? Well, I support euthenasia, so I guess someone shouldn't be denied the chance to sell their heart. But what would be the point? You wouldn't be able to reap the profits.

Who is forcing doctors to murder anybody? I don't think doctors should be slaves of the state. If they want to perform a surgery requested by the patient, why stop them? Kervorkian was a doctor, was he not? They should assist patients, but not forced into anything against their will.

Really though, heart transplants? Pick a more realistic scenario.

And would there be an age limitation donation? If you put restrictions on who can do this then your taking away the right to donate away from someone you say should have the right to do it.

Of coarse there would. Children aren't given the same rights and freedoms as adults. Minors can't enter into legally binding contracts, so I really don't see any difference here. I think the present system treats everybody equally like children.

Jallman says,” The legal selling of organs is wholly unethical on many levels. There are far too many factors to consider...mental stability of both members of the transaction, whether duress is involved...not to mention the whole slew of criminal ramifications. I think that until stem cells are developed and can help repair damaged organs, our donor system is the very best offering our society can make”

I agree that it is unethical and the concerns you bring up also could pertain to the doctor assisted suicide issue as well.

Could you please elaborate on what you consider unethical about this. If your just parroting Jallman's statements, they were addressed by Kandahar.

Assisted suicide. Yes, the state is so compassionate it would rather see it's citizens suffer than have some form of authority over their lives. A very similar issue indeed.

And what insurance company would want to cover those who want to do this?

Likely the kind of insurance companies that like to make money. Having more organs transplanted and people living is in their financial best interests. Dead customers can't pay.

Value is entirely left up to free market. I can decide at what price to sell my organs for as long as somebody is willing to pay that price.

Back
Top Bottom