• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legalized marijuana is spreading as attitudes change.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
For so many years we have discriminated against pot smokers while drinking our rum and coke. Is it comming to a end. NH just decriminialized it and OR is going to legalize it this November with all the polls saying it is going to pass with a strong majority. What are all the booze companies going to do? They are major funders of the anti legalization crowd because they know pot is a way better drug and it would cut into beer drinking. I think the two go well together but that is just me. It makes me so happy to see the moral crusaders and the law and order fascist lose on this issue. I guess they are going to have to find another moral outrage to fuel their fascism. Lets start with htpocricy. Last time I checked that was a sin too.

For so many years we have discriminated against pot smokers while drinking our rum and coke. Is it comming to a end. NH just decriminialized it and OR is going to legalize it this November with all the polls saying it is going to pass with a strong majority. What are all the booze companies going to do? They are major funders of the anti legalization crowd because they know pot is a way better drug and it would cut into beer drinking. I think the two go well together but that is just me. It makes me so happy to see the moral crusaders and the law and order fascist lose on this issue. I guess they are going to have to find another moral outrage to fuel their fascism. Lets start with htpocricy. Last time I checked that was a sin too.

Once the revenue reports start coming in from Colorado and other legalized states you will see the movement become law in every state.

OL
Once the revenue reports start coming in from Colorado and other legalized states you will see the movement become law in every state.

You know what is funny. The fact that COL have been far more agressive and brave than Washington state which is known for being liberal. Not so long ago COL was a conservative state with a slight libertarian touch. The problem up here in Washington is our liberals are very PC which can be just as bad as being a moralistic conservative.Like you said when the money starts filling the hoppers then the domono's will start falling.

I know you are a libertarian so you have some conservative views but I bet you hate Rick Scott as much as the liberals do. He is about as un libertarian a right winger as you can get.

I know you are a libertarian so you have some conservative views but I bet you hate Rick Scott as much as the liberals do. He is about as un libertarian a right winger as you can get.

I hate Rick Scott because he is a crook. The man presided as CEO over the largest Medicare / Medicaid fraud in history and plead the 5th 75 times and paid $1.7B in fines. He should be in prison on death row not running Florida.

I hate Rick Scott because he is a crook. The man presided as CEO over the largest Medicare / Medicaid fraud in history and plead the 5th 75 times and paid $1.7B in fines. He should be in prison on death row not running Florida.

He also wanted to drug test welfare folks and his former employer who did drug test made tons of money and they caught very few drug users. I could have told him people who get welfare drink more than drug.

He also wanted to drug test welfare folks and his former employer who did drug test made tons of money and they caught very few drug users. I could have told him people who get welfare drink more than drug.

Yep he is a crook and he bought the governor's job with his money.

All this legalization is a good thing but until the Feds cave, it will turn in to a game of whack-a-mole.

The booze companies could probably stall the Feds but OTOH why do they need to? You think everybody will switch? That, I seriously doubt. Different temperaments.

One thing people forget is that more jobs are created by weed being illegal than it being legal. This reality is missed by most free market types. Legal weed will never employ as many cops, support staff, enforcement agencies, prisons and literally hundreds of connected jobs that weed being illegal fosters. So to say weed being legal is the jobs position is actually not true. It would employ some people, but far more would be unemployed by it and this is far too often misunderstood by legalization advocates and they end up being undercut by factions that understand this and who they think are their allies in legalization when they aren't for this reason.

It's also important to remember that there already is a free market entity selling weed. It's called criminals. It doesn't get much more free market than that. To think that bosses aren't going to fire you for coming into work high simply because it's legal is naive as well. They'll still ask in applications/resumes if you smoke weed and if you do, you can figure the result in job prospects. If weed is legalized, every company will simply start testing for it, which, ironically, will probably be more draconian and harsh on pot smokers than our culture currently is. That will also be ironic. "Yay I can smoke weed legally."....... Yes and now thanks to that even the most trivial jobs do drug tests, meaning now the masses of lower class pot smokers are even poorer and more discriminated against..... How ironic will that be? Very, I suspect.

I still want to see a single state or country that will people grow their own weed without being subjected to laws that make it impossible to do so legally. I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but I live in hope.

I still want to see a single state or country that will people grow their own weed without being subjected to laws that make it impossible to do so legally. I doubt it will happen anytime soon, but I live in hope.
I have a buddy in Colorado. He can legally grow up 3 plants I believe.

I have a buddy in Colorado. He can legally grow up 3 plants I believe.

I heard it's six there. But....... you're only allowed to have an ounce at a time, so on a practical level, you still can't grow your own. A good harvest off a single plant should be at least a few ounces. Plus they generally run on three month cycles, so you need to be able to keep enough to last you until the next harvest.

The law is deliberately designed so that they can still arrest your friend anytime they want.

---------------

In Cali., you can get a medical marijuana recommendation.
Then you are able to grow 6 plants and have 8 ozs of finished weed.
I like your sig line.

---------------

In Cali., you can get a medical marijuana recommendation.
Then you are able to grow 6 plants and have 8 ozs of finished weed.
I like your sig line.

You can actually own 8 ounces, for personal use? If that's the case, it sounds great, though it isn't what I've heard from laws in other states. I smoke about an ounce a week (of crappy third world bush weed), so to go from one harvest to the next (assuming I'm harvesting all the plants at the same time) I'd need to be allowed 12 ounces.

I still don't get why these limits need to exist at all. Is there a limit to how much beer I'm allowed to own? If so, what is it?

I smoke about an ounce a week (of crappy third world bush weed), QUOTE]
--------------

Whoa, dude/dudette.!!
You're trashing your lungs, throat, esophagus etc.
Dump the dirt weed and score some better bud and buy a vaporizer.
Good weed costs more, but less is needed, so maybe it works financially.

Whoa, dude/dudette.!!
You're trashing your lungs, throat, esophagus etc.
Dump the dirt weed and score some better bud and buy a vaporizer.
Good weed costs more, but less is needed, so maybe it works financially.

I have a vaporizer (the Volcano) but the bit where the bag clips on to the nozzle broke and I can't get it replaced here so will have to wait until a trip abroad. As for the weed, I smoke what I smoke because its all there is here. It goes between 50 cents and $1 (USD) per gram so the cost isn't an issue, and I do like the fact it's grown outdoors with nothing but sunlight and water. I won't risk growing my own hydro here, it would mean risking a very serious stretch in some of the worst prisons known to humanity, which simply isn't worth it to me. Electricity is also disproportionately expensive here.

Edit: Just to clarify as I realize that statement might leave more questions than answers..... Recreational use of weed here by foreigners such as myself is widely tolerated. I've been "caught" smoking before and it cost me $20 to fix. The worst story I've heard here of foreigners being caught with weed cost them three days in jail and $2k. The cops here grow it and they sell it. They don't mind you smoking it, as long as you buy it from them. They come down very, very hard when foreigners try to grow it here. There have been a couple of cases of that during my time here, and as far as I know the people concerned are still in prison.

Last edited:
I have a vaporizer (the Volcano) but the bit where the bag clips on to the nozzle broke and I can't get it replaced here so will have to wait until a trip abroad. As for the weed, I smoke what I smoke because its all there is here. It goes between 50 cents and $1 (USD) per gram so the cost isn't an issue, and I do like the fact it's grown outdoors with nothing but sunlight and water. I won't risk growing my own hydro here, it would mean risking a very serious stretch in some of the worst prisons known to humanity, which simply isn't worth it to me. Electricity is also disproportionately expensive here.
--------------
Sorry, my friend.
I'm not even gonna ask where you live.

----------------

Well, then, just jump across the border and score some Thai-stick.:)

Apparently the vast majority of what is sold in Thailand is grown here due to lack of death penalty and cheaper corruption. I may have misrepresented the stuff we get: It's OK, it does the job, but it's just nothing like "western style hydro". Like there are no big caves of crystally THC or anything, it's just, well, weed :)

It was actually legal here until the late 90's when it was made illegal in exchange for some international aid and military equipment :( Until then it was sold in markets and people put it in soup as medication, most commonly for women on their menopause. That's why the local youth don't smoke it - because smoking your mum's menopause medicine just isn't cool :D

Apparently the vast majority of what is sold in Thailand is grown here due to lack of death penalty and cheaper corruption. I may have misrepresented the stuff we get: It's OK, it does the job, but it's just nothing like "western style hydro". Like there are no big caves of crystally THC or anything, it's just, well, weed :)

It was actually legal here until the late 90's when it was made illegal in exchange for some international aid and military equipment :( Until then it was sold in markets and people put it in soup as medication, most commonly for women on their menopause. That's why the local youth don't smoke it - because smoking your mum's menopause medicine just isn't cool :D
---------------

That's true.
"You wanna get stoned on my mom's menopause meds?" just doesn't have the same cool-factor as "You wanna get Thaied up?", does it?
See you around, HB.

Sure, it's always about the money. There are health risks, and I don't give a **** about what anyone says. If they say smoking tobacco is bad for you, and pot isn't, they're full of ****.

If they say smoking tobacco is bad for you, and pot isn't, they're full of ****.
1. They say tobacco is bad for me, but they don't threaten to throw me in jail for smoking it.
2. I use 100% private health care, and I have a driver for when I'm too stoned to drive myself. Why do you care if it's bad for me? What the hell does it have to do with you and your laws?

You really ought to read up on the differences between fat soluble drugs and water soluble drugs.

This might help you understand why a lot of highly successful businessmen, artists, scientists and inventors have been alcoholics, while serious pot heads tend to populate the permanent underclass.

The alcoholic tends to wake up sober. The serious pot head tends to wake up as a mental defective.

I didn't know that distillers did a lot of anti pot legalization funding. Seems silly to me since the point of drinking - to me at least - isnt necessarily to get a buzz though that is a nice side effect. It's because I like the taste of the stuff.

Pot was decriminalized in NY in 1967 (maybe 68). Possession of up to an ounce, as long as you don't display it in public, is basically treated like a parking ticket - $100 fine. We aren't any worse for it.

Back
Top Bottom