• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legalize it!

I think we should crack down on pot enforcement. Keep it illegal, and impose heavy fines on those caught with it. Marijuana should not be legalized.

That's quite a hard stance Digsbe.

Marijuana is not a tool of the devil.

It's less harmful and addictive then Alcohol or Tobacco, yet stays illegal.

If I were to describe to you what Marijuana does. It simply "enhances sensation". That's it. YOu don't see colourful rainbows or neon flowers. That's cartoon rubbish. All that happens is, you feel more, you taste more, you see more. Satan doesn't come to your door and ask you to get abortions.

Why do you feel this way?
Marijuana is an unhealthy mind altering substance. It doesn't need to be legalized. Not only that, but it's incredibly unhealthy and full of more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. The negative affects on the brain can linger even after the high is gone.
That's quite a hard stance Digsbe.

Marijuana is not a tool of the devil.

It's less harmful and addictive then Alcohol or Tobacco, yet stays illegal.

If I were to describe to you what Marijuana does. It simply "enhances sensation". That's it. YOu don't see colourful rainbows or neon flowers. That's cartoon rubbish. All that happens is, you feel more, you taste more, you see more. Satan doesn't come to your door and ask you to get abortions.
Marijuana is still a mind altering substance. It is more harmful than alcohol and tobacco, as it has more carcinogens than cigarettes. It affects the brain and the negative affects can linger even when the high is gone. When have I invoked Satan into the debate? My stance comes from the fact that it's mind altering, unhealthy, and not necessary.

Marijuana is an unhealthy mind altering substance. It doesn't need to be legalized. Not only that, but it's incredibly unhealthy and full of more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. The negative affects on the brain can linger even after the high is gone.

Marijuana is still a mind altering substance.

It is more harmful than alcohol and tobacco, as it has more carcinogens than cigarettes. It affects the brain and the negative affects can linger even when the high is gone. When have I invoked Satan into the debate? My stance comes from the fact that it's mind altering, unhealthy, and not necessary.

1. Most prescription drugs are mind-altering. So they should all be banned also (actually I think most should be when you consider that most are prescribed unnecessarily).

2. Alcohol and tobacco are FAR more dangerous than weed. So much more that it's an insult to weed for it to be mentioned in the same sentence. For you not to know this shows you should keep your opinion, for that is all this is, to yourself.

3. The damage done to the mind through weed is self repairing. It isn't like cocaine or ecstacy, valium or alcohol. It sends brain cells to sleep, it doesn't kill them like other drugs.

Last edited:
The reason alcohol isn't going to be outlawed is because it was a miserable failure last time. It led to corruption, violence, and gave organized crime a black market item that made them prosperous.

Call me crazy...:cuckoo:

.. but couldn't the exact same arguments be made for reefer?

(not saying you personally don't agree, just sayin')

:peace

Digsbe, Coffee is also a mind altering substance. Alcohol, tobacco. All effect mind chemistry. And Marijuana does not have as many carcinogens, do you know what's in cigarettes dude?

Now of course Marijuana CAN have as much carcinogens in it, if you use "clip" Meaning, when you roll the joint you mix Cigarette Tobacco and the Marijuana. But smoked on its own, it's not as bad for you. Or even, as I've done in the past, put it in a cake or brownie mix, absolutely 0 health risk from it (except to my cholestoral level ;))

Truth be told, I was once very much against it. And Really, I hardly do it. It's not a priority for me.

But Marijuana prohibition is creating more problems, criminals and violence then it isn't. Young people (and I mean 18+) who just wanna smoke a joint are being thrown in Jail for possession, mixed with REAL CRIMINALS. Possibly rapes, brutalized and turned into criminals themselves, come out, can't get a job, turned to crime and get stuck in the system forever...

Just cause they wanted to eat some cookies and laugh at family guy. Does that not strike you as insane?

2. Alcohol and tobacco are FAR more dangerous than weed. So much more that it's an insult to weed for it to be mentioned in the same sentence. For you not to know this shows you should keep your opinion, for that is all this is, to yourself.

You realize that this is a debate site for discussion of various opinions, right?

Call me crazy...:cuckoo:

.. but couldn't the exact same arguments be made for reefer?

(not saying you personally don't agree, just sayin')

:peace

That was my point.

You realize that this is a debate site for discussion of various opinions, right?

Sure but when that opinion is so far moved from reality and countered by nearly every bit of relevant material ever produced, then presented as though this opinion is actually fact, how else am I supposed to reply?

Sure but when that opinion is so far moved from reality and countered by nearly every bit of relevant material ever produced, then presented as though this opinion is actually fact, how else am I supposed to reply?

Well, the equivalent of "shut up" is definitely not it. I would suggest that you present the facts. Do some research and present it for all to see.

Marijuana is still a mind altering substance. It is more harmful than alcohol and tobacco, as it has more carcinogens than cigarettes. It affects the brain and the negative affects can linger even when the high is gone. When have I invoked Satan into the debate? My stance comes from the fact that it's mind altering, unhealthy, and not necessary.

do you have a source which documents your position that marijuana is more carcinogenic than tobacco?

Marijuana does have noticeable negative health effects if smoked. Of course inhaling nearly any kind of smoke is not healthy, so there is nothing special about Cannabis in that regard. Alternative methods of using the drug such as skin absorption or ingestion have close to zero physical harm. Cannabis is practically impossible to overdose on. Alcohol by comparison, is considerably more toxic. Many people visit the hospital each year for alcohol poisoning, and a small portion even die from drinking too much at once. The long term damage to the brain and liver from drinking too much too often is also quite severe. Alcohol isn't inherently harmful, as consuming small amounts may even be beneficial, but it is very easy to drink enough to cause damage.

And Marijuana is not addictive. Always a plus.

there seem to be some compelled to imbibe marijuana not unlike some feel compelled to have another drink of alcohol

maybe addictive isn't the best term, but for some, it seems to creat a pronounced craving

And Marijuana is not addictive. Always a plus.

While you don't have severe withdraw symptoms, habitual smokers do tend to have side affects like irritability and trouble going to sleep. It is definitely mentally addictive for those cases. I would liken it to people who stop drinking coffee after drinking several cups a day.

Anything that you do which alters your routine, schedule, pace or mental status can be addicting in various ways. . . become addicting or habitual.

Example: smoking - many smokers like the *break* - the *reason* to slow down and take a few minutes to their selves and many can't seem to manage it without the "solid reason" of "I *need* a stick*

I use to take a break to drink coffee outside on the steps - every day, afternoon coffee break . . . and it was so hard to let go of when my daily routine changed and didn't permit it.

Im sorry but your information seems to be outdated.

Alcohol has been shown, in moderation (meaning a few ounces of wine a day at most), to have a positive impact on and against cardiovascular disease. Ethanol itself, taken daily, has been shown to have some positive effects on diabetes. There has also been research to show that consuming alcohol in moderation can decrease the risk of stroke and can result in a longer overall lifespan. Alcohol has also been shown to have positive effects on people with dementia, again, in moderation.

Instances of cancer have been shown to occur, but usually in cases of consumption over what we would consider moderate.

Alcohol is not benign, but in moderation it has minimal negative impact on human health. If we have a body of irrefutable research that can show the same for marijuana, I would be in favor of lifting the ban. However, such research I have seen has not been solid and is countered by opposing studies.

That was the argument my alcoholic mother would always fall back on. Unfortunately, alcohol in moderation leads to severe mental and physical dependence. Shall we discuss the differences between weed's very mild mental dependence versus the severe mental and physical dependence of alcohol?

I think we should crack down on pot enforcement. Keep it illegal, and impose heavy fines on those caught with it. Marijuana should not be legalized.

Way to state the status quo without even justifying it. How does that sand taste?

demotivational-posters-legauana.jpg

That was the argument my alcoholic mother would always fall back on. Unfortunately, alcohol in moderation leads to severe mental and physical dependence. Shall we discuss the differences between weed's very mild mental dependence versus the severe mental and physical dependence of alcohol?
Considering there seems to be a genetic component to alcoholism, how can you make a valid comparison between alcoholism and marijuana usage?

Also, can you show that dependency can result from moderate (and can you define moderate) usage?

Considering there seems to be a genetic component to alcoholism, how can you make a valid comparison between alcoholism and marijuana usage?

Also, can you show that dependency can result from moderate (and can you define moderate) usage?

I don't have any evidence on hand but my own experience. My mother would drink "moderately" until "moderately" meant she would get sick if she went a day without alcohol. Think about your body and what would happen if the body expected a certain amount of alcohol each day in order to function properly. Once the mental addicton sets in, the amount of alcohol consumption usually increases (again, reciting my own experience). And when the physical addiction starts to form, the excruciating pain and even death (severe alcoholism) cannot be said in the same light as "moderate" marijuana consumption.

Have you ever heard of a man smoke a joint and beat his wife? I haven't. People murder other people while under the influence of alcohol, and the alcohol is often the catalyst that fuels such a confrontation. You cannot say the same about marijuana.

The bottom line is that you cannot outlaw one drug for its harmful effects without outlawing all personal consumption substances with similar effects. You own your own body, not the FDA or the DEA.

there seem to be some compelled to imbibe marijuana not unlike some feel compelled to have another drink of alcohol

maybe addictive isn't the best term, but for some, it seems to creat a pronounced craving

Well, sure, I mean... I crave soda pop if I spoil myself on it then go without.

Have you ever heard of a man smoke a joint and beat his wife? I haven't.

I have, which is the sole reason I'm against the legalisation of it, I understand all the logical arguments for legalisation, but having seen what it did to this one bloke, I'm against it.

I have, which is the sole reason I'm against the legalisation of it, I understand all the logical arguments for legalisation, but having seen what it did to this one bloke, I'm against it.

I am quite sure there has been no study indicating that marijuana leads to violent behavior. Though I'm not sure about alcohol, the daily anecdotes are enough to convince me.

I don't have any evidence on hand but my own experience. My mother would drink "moderately" until "moderately" meant she would get sick if she went a day without alcohol.
Then I have to reject your claims regarding moderate consumption of alcohol. Offhand, I can cite ten people that I know that consume alcohol on a moderate basis, have done so for years, and continue to do so with no addictive behavior. What your mother experienced was a tolerance leading to an addiction.

Think about your body and what would happen if the body expected a certain amount of alcohol each day in order to function properly. Once the mental addicton sets in, the amount of alcohol consumption usually increases (again, reciting my own experience). And when the physical addiction starts to form, the excruciating pain and even death (severe alcoholism) cannot be said in the same light as "moderate" marijuana consumption.
What you are talking about is tolerance level, not addiction. Your body becomes accustomed to certain things, one of which is alcohol if you drink it. Over time, consumption breeds tolerance and if you're looking to get drunk or buzzed, you have to consume more to pass your tolerance. With moderate consumption, by the time your tolerance starts edging into the zone where physiological dependence sets in, you're usually dead or cant drink anymore.

Have you ever heard of a man smoke a joint and beat his wife? I haven't. People murder other people while under the influence of alcohol, and the alcohol is often the catalyst that fuels such a confrontation. You cannot say the same about marijuana.
I know a man who claimed he ate a Twinkie and killed someone, should we ban Twinkies? Alcohol and marijuana both impair judgement.

The bottom line is that you cannot outlaw one drug for its harmful effects without outlawing all personal consumption substances with similar effects. You own your own body, not the FDA or the DEA.
This isnt a simple case of "I can put what I want in my own body", what you do has effect on the society around you.

Back
Top Bottom