• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legal immigrants to the US - which countries would you prefer them to come from?

Immigrants to the US - which countries would you prefer to come from?

• Canada

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Mexico

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Ireland

• Norway

• Sweden

• Germany

• Italy

• Russia

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • others

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters
If someone is looking to escape oppression in Chile, wouldn't they have escaped that by the time they get to Mexico?
Of course. The same goes for all the people coming through Mexico to our country. The minute they cross into Mexico they are no longer being oppressed by their government. Upon crossing the border of Mexico if they were truly seeking asylum they should have immediately applied for asylum. Clearly they are not seeking asylum but lying in an attempt to circumvent our immigration laws. Anyone with any intelligence can see this. But what is really pathetic about all this is the fact that all the law abiding people all over the world who have been waiting for decades to legally come to this country and are being refused in favor of these lying scum. We are turning away decent people in favor of sneaky underhanded lying scum.

No read your history. People were granted immigration status. People were quarantined. People had to be healthy and/or physically fit. people were turned away. The problem then was money and the returning of people to their countries. Plus the rich and powerful brought a lot of the slave labor over to work for substandard wages. Who was going to pay their way back. Not the rich and powerful who wanted the young and healthy as slave labor. Then you have al the slaves who were brought here. They were not immigrants. In the late 20's as the depression started and there was no work a heck of a lot of people were turned away.

Of course businesses are advertising in other countries. They want to get around paying people in this country a fair and decent wage. Is this what you want. They did the same thing when my great grandfather came here. He either went to work for sub standard wages or starved to death along with his family. In the mean time the coal barons were using the millions of immigrants to force citizens to work for substandard wages or be replaced by anew wave of starving immigrants. These tactics are not the American Dream. No what is happening now is undermining everything my ancestors and the unions fought for. We are taking steps backwards not forward when we no longer enforce our immigration laws.

It is sad to see the same pathetic tactics used by the coal barons in the late 1800' to early 1900's being repeated today and support by the ignorant and/or uninformed. Just because our corrupt media is doing the bidding of the rich and powerful today just like they did in the past doesn't make it right. You don't have to put people in chains to force them into slave labor.
Nah.

You just showed up, you signed the book, got checked for TB, quarantined if necessary.

What they didn't have to do was apply in advance, wait for approval, etc.

However I want law abiding people with respect for our laws and the citizens of this country. We do not need to change our country. They need to become a part of our country. I don't want my country to become the cesspool these people made out of their country and are fleeing from. I want this country to continue to be the place people want to come to. Clearly the way we built this country and run it is far superior to the place these people are fleeing.

I don’t think you are going to get anyone disagreeing with this. What gave you the impression they would or this is something worth stressing?

Of course. The same goes for all the people coming through Mexico to our country. The minute they cross into Mexico they are no longer being oppressed by their government. Upon crossing the border of Mexico if they were truly seeking asylum they should have immediately applied for asylum. Clearly they are not seeking asylum but lying in an attempt to circumvent our immigration laws. Anyone with any intelligence can see this. But what is really pathetic about all this is the fact that all the law abiding people all over the world who have been waiting for decades to legally come to this country and are being refused in favor of these lying scum. We are turning away decent people in favor of sneaky underhanded lying scum.
Last time I voted, the ballot was written in 5 LANGUAGES!!! Now If only CITIZENS are supposed to be voting, what kind of "citizen" doesn't even speak the language of the country?!!!! WTF?!!! Obviously, our government really doesn't care about immigrants assimilating, only about their vote!

If you control the borders and immigration of your country, you control the culture, values, and civilization within your country. If you don't then you get a multicultural society where each culture is vying for domination. it's been proven to be unworkable.

Last time I voted, the ballot was written in 5 LANGUAGES!!! Now If only CITIZENS are supposed to be voting, what kind of "citizen" doesn't even speak the language of the country?!!!! WTF?!!! Obviously, our government really doesn't care about immigrants assimilating, only about their vote!

If you control the borders and immigration of your country, you control the culture, values, and civilization within your country. If you don't then you get a multicultural society where each culture is vying for domination. it's been proven to be unworkable.
Nonsense.

The USA is proof not only that it works but that it is the best.

You are just evading the question.

Of course I am speaking of legal immigrants.
Why do you see the need to select which country legal immigrants leave? They are ALL welcome if they provide positive impact to the nation. if they are a drain, they should be excluded. Everyone can provide a positive impact.

it says safe country....Mexico under asylum law isnt designated as a safe country

I agree we need to focus on having a single language in this country. I think we need to stop calling the language English and call it American. I think part of getting your citizenship is learning to speak our language. However I think that once granted immigration status there should be no requirement for a legal immigrant to speak American. They should be allowed to live out their life as a legal immigrant. This has been OK for hundreds of years and I see no reason for change. I think we need to incorporate even more words from other languages into our language. I think a country with as many people from different countries as America should have a language that incorporates words from all the languages of the people who immigrated to this country. This stops the stigma that we are English and speak English. The vast majority of Americans are not English and our language should reflect that fact.

Sorry. I got off track as usual. I don't think the fact that people cannot speak, read, and or write English/American should be a requirement to vote. At least until it becomes a requirement of citizenship. I just don't see it happening. In my neighborhood we can't even fix the roads so for the moment the problem is too much for us to solve.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

The USA is proof not only that it works but that it is the best.
Here we go again, if it isn't the old 'one trick pony' chiming in! Please repeat the Lazarus poem
for the rest of us again There are those of us who actually harken back to the
days shortly after Emma Lazarus, when America had tight, very tight immigration policies.
Continue to advise those who disagree with your simplistic notions to leave the country.
That's about 5 or 6 posters & still counting. I doubt I'll leave my current location but I know this
if someone like you moved next door, I'd move in a NY second!

I do agree that immigration has worked amazingly well for the greater part of our history up until
around 1990.

Early on all who came were European. All were white. Almost all were Christian.
After each wave of immigration, there were long periods little or no immigration
that gave America time to assimilate the newcomers. And before they were fully
assimilated, their children and grandchildren passed through deeply patriotic
public and parochial schools where they were immersed in the language,
literature, history and traditions of this unique people.

But:
Since around 1990 when the ‘Immigration Act of 1965' began to
bear the fruit Hart-Celler expected schools have been converted to the point that American
history is often taught as a series of crimes against people of color. Today’s
immigrants are rarely European, rarely Christian & rarely white. Today's egalitarians
who promote the flood of immigartion ignore the crucial elements that
made America immigration work for over 200 years.

Last edited:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

---Statue of Liberty

Blahblahblah... that was great in 1883, but it's unsustainable now...

I could care less which country they come from as long as they do it legally and have a useful skill that can keep them gainfully employed.

I agree we need to focus on having a single language in this country. I think we need to stop calling the language English and call it American. I think part of getting your citizenship is learning to speak our language. However I think that once granted immigration status there should be no requirement for a legal immigrant to speak American. They should be allowed to live out their life as a legal immigrant. This has been OK for hundreds of years and I see no reason for change. I think we need to incorporate even more words from other languages into our language. I think a country with as many people from different countries as America should have a language that incorporates words from all the languages of the people who immigrated to this country. This stops the stigma that we are English and speak English. The vast majority of Americans are not English and our language should reflect that fact.

Sorry. I got off track as usual. I don't think the fact that people cannot speak, read, and or write English/American should be a requirement to vote. At least until it becomes a requirement of citizenship. I just don't see it happening. In my neighborhood we can't even fix the roads so for the moment the problem is too much for us to solve.
the most successful countries in the world are not monolingual

I care less about what country they come from and more about how educated (and by correlation how good they are for the economy) they are or if they are in a field that will contribute to technical innovation.
I care less about what country they come from and more about their need for protection from political persecutions and from wars.

Here we go again, if it isn't the old 'one trick pony' chiming in! Please repeat the Lazarus poem
for the rest of us again There are those of us who actually harken back to the
days shortly after Emma Lazarus, when America had tight, very tight immigration policies.
Continue to advise those who disagree with your simplistic notions to leave the country.
That's about 5 or 6 posters & still counting. I doubt I'll leave my current location but I know this
if someone like you moved next door, I'd move in a NY second!

I do agree that immigration has worked amazingly well for the greater part of our history up until
around 1990.

Early on all who came were European. All were white. Almost all were Christian.
After each wave of immigration, there were long periods little or no immigration
that gave America time to assimilate the newcomers. And before they were fully
assimilated, their children and grandchildren passed through deeply patriotic
public and parochial schools where they were immersed in the language,
literature, history and traditions of this unique people.

But:
Since around 1990 when the ‘Immigration Act of 1965' began to
bear the fruit Hart-Celler expected schools have been converted to the point that American
history is often taught as a series of crimes against people of color. Today’s
immigrants are rarely European, rarely Christian & rarely white. Today's egalitarians
who promote the flood of immigartion ignore the crucial elements that
made America immigration work for over 200 years.
Yes, you harken back to a short period of strict racist immigration laws, and ignore the vast majority of our History where we didn't have restrictive immigration laws at all.

That says a lot about your priorities.

Blahblahblah... that was great in 1883, but it's unsustainable now...
There have always been people like you making that argument and you have always been wrong. Look at history.

The thing is though, it is just as sustainable now, just as necessary, and just as much a part of making America great now, as it ever was.

Italy is now champion of Europe - in footbal!

Don't you know it by heart?
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

the most successful countries in the world are not monolingual
Don't you know it by heart?
Parents took us to the statue when I was about 8, never saw any poem & my parents never made
reference to it. The only poem I ever remembered by heart was from a book of poems by Benet
during college:

Hats off to Masta Robert a real FFV
A dauntless & chivalrous leader was he
He massacred Hooker he trifled with Pope
He stripped poor old Burnside of whiskers & hope
But Meade was the horseshoe he couldn’t quite bend
And then came Ulysses S Grant & the end

Mexico for sure. They have already demonstrated what great citizens they can be. Plus they are our largest and other neighbor , we must partner closely with them as we have with Canada.

I care less about what country they come from and more about their need for protection from political persecutions and from wars.
It is their county. I guess they have reaped what they have sown. Everyone can't come here or will become the place they are fleeing. They will have to learn that freedom isn't free and instead of running tail between their legs they need to do something about the problem where you are at. That is how great people create a great country.

Parents took us to the statue when I was about 8, never saw any poem & my parents never made
reference to it. The only poem I ever remembered by heart was from a book of poems by Benet
during college:

Hats off to Masta Robert a real FFV
A dauntless & chivalrous leader was he
He massacred Hooker he trifled with Pope
He stripped poor old Burnside of whiskers & hope
But Meade was the horseshoe he couldn’t quite bend
And then came Ulysses S Grant & the end
you were 8 and probably don't remember then.

Legal immigrants to the US - which countries would you prefer them to come from?

I will now name a few countries more or less at random - and then others
I don't care where they come from as long as they aren't being used to screw Americans out of educational opportunities. jobs or stagnate wages and they won't be a burden to we the tax payer.

I will now name a few countries more or less at random - and then others

Well it's obvious what you prefer ... white and European.

Back
Top Bottom