• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side and at the wrong house. Shots are fired...

Fill in the rest of the scenario as to what you think happened next.

This question is about guns being out of control, or more accurately, their owners. This question is not about guns themselves, nor is it about who is wrong or who is right. It's about what happens when legal gun owners confront one another in a questionable situation. Dare I say in a bang, bang instant decision situation.

Just want people to discuss our gun problem. If you are a person who doesn't think there is a gun problem, try to keep your rants to a minimum please.

There’s a whole forum dedicated to this topic>>>>>>>>>>

Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side and at the wrong house. Shots are fired...

This question is about guns being out of control, or more accurately, their owners. This question is not about guns themselves, nor is it about who is wrong or who is right. It's about what happens when legal gun owners confront one another in a questionable situation. Dare I say in a bang, bang instant decision situation.

Just want people to discuss our gun problem. If you are a person who doesn't think there is a gun problem, try to keep your rants to a minimum please.

Why were shots fired?

Shots fired by whom?

Why was the homeowner answering the door with a gun?

To many questions.

Is there a link to the actual story?

Really hard to say without any more info.

What were the police there for?
How did he answer the door with gun in hand? Was it already drawn? Was he moving the gun upwards at the officers?
Did the police give him instructions to drop the weapon and he didn't?

Really need more info.

The main problem here seems to be the lack of any question at all. It appears that you have decided that "our gun problem" needs discussion outside of the gun control forum and that folks should be answering a "question" which was never asked.

Your story indicates the problem is more about police not correctly identifying themselves or their target. Why is the gun supposed to be a problem when what you describe is 100% the officers fault?

The main problem here seems to be the lack of any question at all. It appears that you have decided that "our gun problem" needs discussion outside of the gun control forum and that folks should be answering a "question" which was never asked.

I don't know if this is related to a certain article that isn't mentioned here, but I am curious how the guy answered the door. I know several people that open carry so when I knock on my neighbors door I am not surprised to see a gun holstered or at least nearby. I have yet to see any reason why a responsible gun owner would open his door with a gun not holstered in hand.

To add additionally, there was a situation where I was notified of an individual coming over to my house that had made threats about it. So when someone knocked on my door shortly after, I did have a gun in hand and I yelled as such that I had one in hand. It was not that person, rather a neighbor who immediately yelled who he was. Gun down and out of hand, but within reach, I answered the door. So yeah, I'm kinda curious about what the situation was and how the guy answered the door.

My question would be to everyone, would you answer the door with a gun in your hand and if so, why? I am not asking if it is legal, just why answer the door with a gun in your hand.

A silly hypothetical situation? Give more information if you want a discussion on the facts. If all you want is a bitch session about how bad guns and gun owners are then by all means carry on. :peace

Red:
...and the person who answered the door died moments later.

I don't know if this is related to a certain article that isn't mentioned here, but I am curious how the guy answered the door. I know several people that open carry so when I knock on my neighbors door I am not surprised to see a gun holstered or at least nearby. I have yet to see any reason why a responsible gun owner would open his door with a gun not holstered in hand.

To add additionally, there was a situation where I was notified of an individual coming over to my house that had made threats about it. So when someone knocked on my door shortly after, I did have a gun in hand and I yelled as such that I had one in hand. It was not that person, rather a neighbor who immediately yelled who he was. Gun down and out of hand, but within reach, I answered the door. So yeah, I'm kinda curious about what the situation was and how the guy answered the door.

IMHO, it was a half baked (bong in hand?) "what if" scenario existing in the mind of the OP alone.

My question would be to everyone, would you answer the door with a gun in your hand and if so, why? I am not asking if it is legal, just why answer the door with a gun in your hand.
If I am home alone, it's later at night (after 10), and I am not expecting anyone I will answer with gun in hand. I didn't used to do that but the apartment complex a few blocks away has been repurposed into section 8 housing. This has resulted in an increase of crime in my neighborhood

We don't have a gun problem. We have a people problem. People who should be locked up should be locked up. There should not be a revolving door on the jail. The second amendment allows for people to be able to defend themselves.

Red:
...and the person who answered the door died moments later.

Congrats, you are the first person to answer the question. For some reason most posters seem to think the answer is to ask more questions or just dismiss the question. I can only presume some folks have no imagination?

IMHO, it was a half baked (bong in hand?) "what if" scenario existing in the mind of the OP alone.

Perhaps, I was kind of hoping there was an article or story that went along with it.

If I am home alone, it's later at night (after 10), and I am not expecting anyone I will answer with gun in hand. I didn't used to do that but the apartment complex a few blocks away has been repurposed into section 8 housing. This has resulted in an increase of crime in my neighborhood

So you don't let anyone know you have a gun in hand BEFORE you open the door?

Congrats, you are the first person to answer the question. For some reason most posters seem to think the answer is to ask more questions or just dismiss the question. I can only presume some folks have no imagination?

Of course people are going to ask questions. I have lots of scenarios in my head and lots of different results dependent on those scenarios. Seems you are so insecure that you cannot even answer those questions and have already made up your mind it is the gun that's at fault.

You are correct. There is a gun problem in america and this is not my opinion alone as all gun owners are aware many others hold the same opinion so your trying to dismiss 'our gun problem' doesn't make it go away in my mind. As to a question, the question is with the information given, fill in the rest of the scenario with your 'imagination'. I said the whole purpose of this was to get people to discuss. Not point fingers.

No I don't. Why would I?

To avoid getting shot or shooting someone errantly. The question is why wouldn't you let the person know you have a gun in hand and ask them what are they doing there?

To avoid getting shot or shooting someone errantly. The question is why wouldn't you let the person know you have a gun in hand and ask them what are they doing there?

For the element of surprise on my part. Only an idiot would announce they have a gun in their hand and possibly escalate the situation When I CC I don't wear a t-shirt saying I have 45 in my waist band or 380 on my ankle.

For the element of surprise on my part. Only an idiot would announce they have a gun in their hand and possibly escalate the situation When I CC I don't wear a t-shirt saying I have 45 in my waist band or 380 on my ankle.

Yeah, answer the door with a gun in hand when cops come knocking, I'm sure they will appreciate your "element of surprise". Do that the next time and see what happens.

Simple fix to not knowing who’s on the other side of your door; peephole.

Someone unknown to me shows up on my doorstep in the middle of the night, I will have a pistol in my hand.

Yeah, answer the door with a gun in hand when cops come knocking, I'm sure they will appreciate your "element of surprise". Do that the next time and see what happens.

I can tell you exactly what happens. I see a.cop out peep hole. I say give me a second to put up my gun. I open door answer questions. Cops leave.

Back
Top Bottom