• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side

Congrats, you are the first person to answer the question. For some reason most posters seem to think the answer is to ask more questions or just dismiss the question. I can only presume some folks have no imagination?

Red and off-topic:
TY for the plaudit, but I have to say that following simple instructions isn't exactly something that, for adults, merits congratulations. LOL

IMHO, it was a half baked (bong in hand?) "what if" scenario existing in the mind of the OP alone.

Perhaps, I was kind of hoping there was an article or story that went along with it.
Red:
It was merely a simple scenario whereof one is asked to, based on the information given, and using one's own understanding of human nature and cops and applying one's judgement and analytical skills, formulate and proffer a depiction of what, in one's mind, most plausibly and most probably happened after shots were fired. The instructions do not stipulate the level of detail into which one must go.

You are correct. There is a gun problem in america and this is not my opinion alone as all gun owners are aware many others hold the same opinion so your trying to dismiss 'our gun problem' doesn't make it go away in my mind. As to a question, the question is with the information given, fill in the rest of the scenario with your 'imagination'. I said the whole purpose of this was to get people to discuss. Not point fingers.

Rest assured that the "gun problem in America" is not caused folks having wild shootouts with police "accidentally" knocking on the wrong doors. If that were the case, then you would have certainly supplied the numerous links to point that out instead of having to make up some BS scenario for a "fill in the blank" discussion.

Gun in Hand is the only way I answer the door when the cops are knocking. I don't trust them. They shouldn't be on my property without a warrant. And I have signs posted saying I will shoot you for trespassing. Of course, I answer the door a crack and have the gun positioned on the door where they can't see it, aimed at them.

Why?

Because they have the power to murder me with impunity. Id rather be in jail for killing a cop than dead.

I also have cameras all over my property. A battter proof door so they can't ram it down. And I have my front porch organized in such a way they have to all stand in open view of a side window I got a steel plate installed under to stop bullets.

Why?

I smoke marijuana, and do not agree with prohibition.

But that's my home in TN. In Canada, where I live now, I invite them in no problem. Complete faith and trust in the RCMP.

Red:
It was merely a simple scenario whereof one is asked to, based on the information given, and using one's own understanding of human nature and cops and applying one's judgement and analytical skills, formulate and proffer a depiction of what, in one's mind, most plausibly and most probably happened after shots were fired. The instructions do not stipulate the level of detail into which one must go.

As a human gun owner, for over 40 years, there has never been a "simple scenario" where I answered a knock at the door with my gun in hand.

Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side and at the wrong house. Shots are fired...

Fill in the rest of the scenario as to what you think happened next.

This question is about guns being out of control, or more accurately, their owners. This question is not about guns themselves, nor is it about who is wrong or who is right. It's about what happens when legal gun owners confront one another in a questionable situation. Dare I say in a bang, bang instant decision situation.

Just want people to discuss our gun problem. If you are a person who doesn't think there is a gun problem, try to keep your rants to a minimum please.

i don't have a gun problem. I could probably use a couple more, but I get by.

I do have a problem with posters who toss a couple sentences out with no reference point then ask for discussion.

If the gun owner is black, he is shot and killed by the cops immediately

If the gun owner is white, they peacefully get him to drop his gun

This scenario has most certainly happened countless times, white guy walking down street with assault rifle, cops just stop and talk to him. Black guy has assault rifle, they come out guns drawn

I seriously doubt that.

Actually I forgot about this but since someone asked.

Deputies knock on wrong door, shoot, kill armed Lake Co. man | WFTV

and then we have this.

Court rejects case of Leesburg man killed by deputy - News - Daily Commercial - Leesburg, FL

and finally this

/www.wesh.com/article/leesburg-officers-joke-about-deputy-involved-shooting-death/4417731

We have a stand your ground law in florida, this guy was within his legal rights and still got killed, which is the point of my whole question. Apologies are welcome.

As a human gun owner, for over 40 years, there has never been a "simple scenario" where I answered a knock at the door with my gun in hand.
As I noted, you need to use your accumulated knowledge and judgment to postulate what most plausibly and most probably happened after "shots were fired."

Would you truly have us believe that to the extent "such and such" a scenario has never happened to you, you have no rational ways and means to abstractly evaluate it such that you can, in turn, posit a highly plausible and highly probable outcome for that scenario? If your answer to that question is "yes," it just is. I just want to know so that I can keep in mind that abstract analysis isn't in your "wheelhouse."

Actually I forgot about this but since someone asked.

Deputies knock on wrong door, shoot, kill armed Lake Co. man | WFTV

and then we have this.

Court rejects case of Leesburg man killed by deputy - News - Daily Commercial - Leesburg, FL

and finally this

/www.wesh.com/article/leesburg-officers-joke-about-deputy-involved-shooting-death/4417731

We have a stand your ground law in florida, this guy was within his legal rights and still got killed, which is the point of my whole question. Apologies are welcome.

It would seem that the problem lies wth granting the power to LEOs to "raid" homes and to execute anyone else found to be armed inside of them.

I don't feel sorry for people that don't realize the impact carrying around a gun has. The perceived threat. Why would someone answer the door holding a gun? You are just being an ass at that time. Why would one walk in crowded public carrying a gun? What do you expect cops to think when they see someone they don't know (could be a criminal afterall) carrying a gun? They just supposed to go"Hey, its your right"?

No, so please stop using "its their right". yeah, others (like cops) have the right to feel safe, and you walking around holding a gun is not safe to others.

Whether its your right, it is stilll stupid. It's your right to yell the n word in the middle of a black ghetto but you will likely suffer for it so its dumb to do it

Legal gun owner answers door with gun in hand, little does he know the police are on the other side and at the wrong house. Shots are fired...

Fill in the rest of the scenario as to what you think happened next.

Police kill homeowner. Homeowner's family sues state. Homeowner's family awarded millions in damages. Involved officers suspended without pay and retrained on proper use of lethal force. People in the neighborhood stop answering their doors while brandishing firearms.

Back
Top Bottom