• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Legal advocacy group files suit to keep Muslim community center away from Ground Zer

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
“The Landmark
Commission would not have rendered this decision but for the fact that it’s a mosque,” ACLJ attorney Brett Joshpe told The Daily Caller. “Because there are politically correct decisions at play, the property owners in this case are actually getting special treatment. The administrative agency is not applying the law faithfully, regardless of the faith of the people involved.”

The ACLJ is suing on behalf of New York
firefighter Tim Brown, who claims the city did not follow the proper steps toward determining whether the space should be preserved, since it was hit with debris from the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

After saying the building was “arguably one of the most significant properties in New York,” Joshpe said he would not be pursuing the case if a Christian church were being built on the same site.

“Would I be personally involved in this matter if this were a church? No,” he said. “And the reason why is because if it were a church it wouldn’t be offending and hurting the 9/11 victims’ families.”

Gee whatever happened to;

Conservatives said:
You do NOT have the right NOT to be offended

Last time I checked not liking something wasnt a legal argument to stomp on ones private property rights.

Legal advocacy group files suit to keep Muslim community center away from Ground Zero | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Re: Legal advocacy group files suit to keep Muslim community center away from Ground

You may be correct, but they have a right to take the issue to court. This has been pointed out in other issues when questionalble issues have been taken to court. It will now be up to the courts to decide.

Re: Legal advocacy group files suit to keep Muslim community center away from Ground

Last time I checked not liking something wasnt a legal argument to stomp on ones private property rights.

Legal advocacy group files suit to keep Muslim community center away from Ground Zero | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

If the backers of that mosque are terrorists, or from a known terrorist-haven country, there is plenty of reason to stop that mosque for being built.

The fact that they are called a "legal advocacy group" is rather ironic. Maybe they should have checked into the "legal" part first, before they waste their time.

Sooooo much controversy on this issue. Has anyone noticed how it's made the illegal aliens invisible again?

If the backers of that mosque are terrorists, or from a known terrorist-haven country, there is plenty of reason to stop that mosque for being built.

If my grandmother had three wheels she'd be a tricycle...

so you're advocating the denying of peoples right to do with their property as they will, within the law, simply 'cause you don't like the country that they're from.

do you want all the Fox News building knocked down, simply 'cause a *gasp* Saudi Arabian owns 70% ?

Last edited:

I find it disturbing that the "Landmark Commission" has the right to dictate what people do with their property under any circumstances.

I find it disturbing that the "Landmark Commission" has the right to dictate what people do with their property under any circumstances.

I find it horrible that there are any building codes allowed in the US....... we have the right to do anything we want to do with our own property.

[/sarcasm] :shrug:

If my grandmother had three wheels she'd be a tricycle...

.... and then you could buy her a bell for christmas. Other than that .... what's your point?

so you're advocating the denying of peoples right to do with their property as they will, within the law, simply 'cause you don't like the country that they're from.

do you want all the Fox News building knocked down, simply 'cause a *gasp* Saudi Arabian owns 70% ?

If the project is being funded by terrorists, it needs to be stopped. Period. When cars, houses, and other items are purchased with drug money, we seize those items and auction them off. The analogy here is basically the same. Terrorist money is the same as drug dealer money.

If the project is being funded by terrorists, it needs to be stopped. Period. When cars, houses, and other items are purchased with drug money, we seize those items and auction them off. The analogy here is basically the same. Terrorist money is the same as drug dealer money.

The confiscation of property through drug laws is pretty bad. I don't agree with it in the least. You can lend your car to a friend, who goes and sells drugs; then your car can go by by. It's nothing more than government sponsored theft. But other than that; perchance you have proof that it's being funded by terrorists? Yes? If not, you have no legal say in what they're doing. This lawsuit is just silly, though we allow silly lawsuits. It's pretty immature and stupid and in the end betrays our very values and beliefs.

The confiscation of property through drug laws is pretty bad. I don't agree with it in the least. You can lend your car to a friend, who goes and sells drugs; then your car can go by by. It's nothing more than government sponsored theft. But other than that; perchance you have proof that it's being funded by terrorists? Yes? If not, you have no legal say in what they're doing. This lawsuit is just silly, though we allow silly lawsuits. It's pretty immature and stupid and in the end betrays our very values and beliefs.

Actually, the friend only has to be suspected of possessing or selling drugs for you to lose your car..... then you have to prove that neither happened to get your car back, and pay the towing and storage fees.

More here: ISIL -- Civil Asset Forfeiture: The Looting of America

Wait, aren't you one of the ones whining about how the Law needs to be respected? So are you saying now that because the Mosque folks claim the law is on their side no challenge may be presented against them? Are you afraid the law might not be so?

So are you saying now that because the Mosque folks claim the law is on their side no challenge may be presented against them? Are you afraid the law might not be so?

:doh

What they WANT out of the lawsuit is what is being talked about here along with its being filed in the first place.

This, and Carl Paladino's promise to use eminent domain to stop the project if elected to state senate totaly, IMO, kills the idea that /NOBODY/ wants to legally stop it or prevent them from building / opponents are /ONLY/ saying it is a bad idea to build it there.

As far as I'm concerned, that is just been rendered bunk. People are going from "I think it is a bad idea" to "I think it is a bad idea, so lets do what we can to FORCE them using the law," which is kinda freaky.

Wait, aren't you one of the ones whining about how the Law needs to be respected? So are you saying now that because the Mosque folks claim the law is on their side no challenge may be presented against them? Are you afraid the law might not be so?

What law was broken?

The if the Burlington Coat Factory was a landmark, then I guess so is the strip club and betting parlor in the area. I doubt these people would block all construction in the area, because some buildings were hit. This is a bull**** excuse to prevent people from using their property

I don't want state intervention in this process it will be handled through protest to encourage people to refuse to enter into contract with this Imam to trade their labour for his capital. No state intervention necessary.

I find it horrible that there are any building codes allowed in the US....... we have the right to do anything we want to do with our own property.

Damn government, telling me what to do. I want them out of my life, except to interfere in other people's lives when their actions offend me.

The point of building codes are for public safety. I fail to see the inherent dangers of a mosque.

After saying the building was “arguably one of the most significant properties in New York,” Joshpe said he would not be pursuing the case if a Christian church were being built on the same site.

“Would I be personally involved in this matter if this were a church? No,” he said. “And the reason why is because if it were a church it wouldn’t be offending and hurting the 9/11 victims’ families.”

Well, that tells you everything you need to know about this lawsuit.

So did Haiti, than that earthquake happened.

But one of the major controling shareholders of FoxNews is funding the mosque/community center. Surely, you're not accusing the owners of FoxNews of being terrorists, are you? Oh boy, I sure wouldn't mind seeing their assets get auctioned off.

Besides, Imam Rauf has worked for and with the FBI for the last ten years, so if there is terrorist funding don't you think the FBI would know by now? Come on, get a brain.

Last edited:

Why? Because you cannot find a way to get a percentage of it?

This kind of error generally leads to lawsuits in which police officers and their benefactors pay out the ass for violating the 4th Amendment.

Why? Because you cannot find a way to get a percentage of it?

Man, if only I could be more like the government and demand money from absolutely everything. But I'm not. It's immature and stupid and in the end betrays our very values because this is nothing more than a temper tantrum. One in which people are now actually trying to use the courts to prevent someone from building something on their legally purchased property, of which all building plans were approved and met zoning and other legal limitations.

Back
Top Bottom