• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lefties - are you a Liberal or a Progressive: you can't be both

So Republicans literally incite a riot with insurrectionists, come up with plans like the green bay sweep to illegitimately declare victory, spread disinformation about election fraud, and insist they won the election....even a judge claim "Trump's efforts to overturn election likely criminal"
....but it's progressive that are the enemies of democracy?

There's no way you're serious.
Give me a break. You start by spewing trite garbage about 1/6 which has nothing to do with this topic; I guess you can't help yourself.

I'm a progressive and I view things that way because I want to see our society moving forward. On the other and opposite hand we have the regressives.

Which one are you?
Neither. I'm probably the closest thing on the forum to a classic liberal - seasoned with a touch of conservatism and libertarianism.

I suppose that a 2A progressive would demand that public funds be used to ensure ‘equity’ so that the poor (economically disadvantaged?) have “access to” guns and ammo. ;)
Nope. For me it’s the reasons the Founders put it in the constitution. Tyrants always disarm their subjects.

Of course.
----

But you're conservative, correct?
More like a Classic Liberal seasoned with a touch of conservatism and libertarianism.

I'm a liberal.

But I don't disagree with too much of the progressive platform. Just the populist dumbasses that infest the progressive movement.

i think of myself as European center left, which means that i support intelligent programs like single payer that much of the first world figured out decades ago. this would make me fairly boring in Europe, but in the states, it gets me accused of being a radical communist by some.

Nope. For me it’s the reasons the Founders put it in the constitution. Tyrants always disarm their subjects.

I was not accusing you of holding those views, I was merely trying to contrast a liberal 2A supporter (such as yourself) with a progressive 2A supporter.

And what disputes do you have?
None. I am neither progressive or liberal, so unlike your author (or you), I don't pretend to know how they think.

Last edited:
All my life liberals have believed in free speech.
Progressives today want speech they disagree with silenced. They try to prevent conservatives from being allowed to speak on university campuses and when they do, they shout them down so they can't be heard and on occasions, have resorted to violence to shut them up. Progressives not only support, but demand that conservative speech be banned from social media.

Liberals support a free and open press, and detested censorship.
Progressives only support a free press as long as it approves of what they are reporting on. Any media outlet that is critical of their political agenda is labeled not credible, and they actively try to intimidate any company who advertises with them. The pressure social media to censor any story they don't like, such as the Hunter Biden laptop story.

Liberal believe all people should be treated equally as individuals, oppose all forms of racism, oppose racial stereotyping, oppose racial segregation, and champion women's rights.
Progressives believe group identity is paramount over the individual, they openly engage in racist behavior toward members of 1 race, they label all white people as racists and oppressors, they support racial segregation on college campuses, and they support biological men competing in women's sports and robbing women of their athletic achievements and the financial rewards that go along with those achievements.

So the op has a valid point.

None. I am neither progressive or liberal, so unlike your author (or you), I don't pretend to know how they think.
It's more based on actions and public statements than from mysterious mind reading.

Yes listen to a conservative trying to define what a liberal and progressive is. So what’s the difference to you and why are they mutually exclusive?
Classic liberals are small government maximum freedom. Free markets, minimal regulation. People free to control there own lives. Progressive believe in a "scientific" approach to government with "experts" and bureaucrats controlling the country. The find the Constitution as an impediment to government rather than guidance.

Give me a break. You start by spewing trite garbage about 1/6 which has nothing to do with this topic; I guess you can't help
Classic liberals are small government maximum freedom. Free markets, minimal regulation. People free to control there own lives. Progressive believe in a "scientific" approach to government with "experts" and bureaucrats controlling the country. The find the Constitution as an impediment to government rather than guidance.
Classical conservatives believed in unions and preserving our environment. You are moving goalposts here because classical conservatives are nothing like conservatives that support trump. You literally had a conservative supported candidate like trump wanting his Vice President to just overturn an election without any vetted proof.

Classical conservatives were pro union pro preserving the environment. Current conservatives as a majority elected trump who beloved and implemented nepotism to the point that current conservatives wanted to vote him in on a second term with all the corruption he did. Were you one of those current conservatives that supported trump and his nepotism and corruption?

Did you read the link?
No.

I did not read the link beyond seeing it was about Ukraine.

My questioning is based on your statements that I did read.

"Lefties - are you a Liberal or a Progressive: you can't be both"

"Progressives are not liberals and liberals are not progressive"

Again, what is your empirical data to support your statements?

No.

I did not read the link beyond seeing it was about Ukraine.

My questioning is based on your statements that I did read.

"Lefties - are you a Liberal or a Progressive: you can't be both"

"Progressives are not liberals and liberals are not progressive"

Again, what is your empirical data to support your statements?
It goes beyond Ukraine. Read the link.

small government maximum freedom. Free markets, minimal regulation.

FrEeDuMbZ$™ to pump toxic sludge into rivers.
Good for the bottom line, and creates jobs!
:rolleyes:(y)

There was once a time when there were actual Conservatives that weren't bugshit nuts.
Then they went Full Trumptard and started worshiping at the alter of their Reality TeeVee Messiah.

Care to explain WTF happened there? Any theories on that?

It goes beyond Ukraine. Read the link.
Is the empirical evidence to support your statements found in the LINK?

Why should I assume the opinions of the Right Wing writer of the OP article as the evidence to support your statements?

Is the empirical evidence to support your statements found in the LINK?

Why should I assume the opinions of the Right Wing writer of the OP article as the evidence to support your statements?
Do whatever you want. I'm not interested in debate the title of the thread.

There was once a time when there were actual Conservatives that weren't bugshit nuts.
Then they went Full Trumptard and started worshiping at the alter of their Reality TeeVee Messiah.

Care to explain WTF happened there? Any theories on that?
My theory is mass derangement amongst leftists.

Back
Top Bottom