• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Left Wing Lie Of The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquapub

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I did a research project on media bias that won an academic award. In one small part of it, I used Lexis Nexis and other research databases to sort out the accuracy of Franken's statements vs. Ann Coulter's. Franken was accurate exactly ONE time in his book.

Ann Coulter said Dale Earnhardt's death wasn't published until days after it happened in the New York Times. She used this to try to explain why she thought the paper didn't mind being so biased-that they were so out of touch with the little guy. Lexis Nexis verifies that there was a story on it in the paper. More important than this small mistake though (and what was conspicuously missing from Franken's chapter on her was any challenged whatsoever to the mountains of evidence she compiled against the paper. Evidence of them shamelessly skewing polls, flat out lying about certain Republicans, witholding stories that made liberals look bad, editing out critical information from their stories. NOT ONE MENTION.

And to give you a more accurate example of who the REAL liar is in Al Franken's self-promoting drivel, I give you Evan Thomas. Another irrelevant detail he challenged was that the editor of Newsweek was the son of the founder of Communist front party- The Reform Party. Franken spent pages showing transcripts of his call to Evan Thomas asking him if he was the son of that man and carefully avoiding asking the question certain ways. The reason, I found out, is that Evan Thomas is the GRANDson of that person. It was a meaningless error that had zero impact on what Coulter was arguing, but FRANKEN, not Coulter chose to dishonestly parade it around as some sort of proof that conservatives lie when HE was the only one lying.

Basing this (or any thread) on the word of this left-wing jackass makes an ass of the person who actually takes him seriously.

Franken and others like him on the left are the liars, NOT Republicans.

aquapub said:

Everyone lies, you just lied when you said Republicans don't lie, they lie too, as does everyone else.

aquapub said:
Ann Coulter said Dale Earnhardt's death wasn't published until days after it happened in the New York Times. She used this to try to explain why she thought the paper didn't mind being so biased-that they were so out of touch with the little guy.
Umm, what? Dale Earnhardt represents the little guy? And that is then a bias and then....A=C therefore C=B. That's quite the syllogism.

By the way, feel free to share your research project on media bias that won an academic award. Also, which Franken book did you examine against which Coulter book?

And to give you a more accurate example of who the REAL liar is in Al Franken's self-promoting drivel, I give you Evan Thomas. Another irrelevant detail he challenged was that the editor of Newsweek was the son of the founder of Communist front party- The Reform Party. Franken spent pages showing transcripts of his call to Evan Thomas asking him if he was the son of that man and carefully avoiding asking the question certain ways. The reason, I found out, is that Evan Thomas is the GRANDson of that person. It was a meaningless error that had zero impact on what Coulter was arguing, but FRANKEN, not Coulter chose to dishonestly parade it around as some sort of proof that conservatives lie when HE was the only one lying.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is great. Did you read the book? I suppose not, but if you had you would know that he did this on purpose. He was writing about how (he says) Coulter takes things out of context, or leaves out crucial information, but provides "footnotes" (which he points out are really endnotes) that provide these things (context and information). The reason I laugh is because he does exactly what he accuses Coulter of doing and puts in the fact that Evan Thomas is the grandson of Norman Thomas in the ENDNOTES of the book, entirely on purpose, probably to trap his critics into doing what you are doing for more material. I don't take Franken very seriously, but his books are very funny.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is great. Did you read the book? I suppose not, but if you had you would know that he did this on purpose. He was writing about how (he says) Coulter takes things out of context, or leaves out crucial information, but provides "footnotes" (which he points out are really endnotes) that provide these things (context and information). The reason I laugh is because he does exactly what he accuses Coulter of doing and puts in the fact that Evan Thomas is the grandson of Norman Thomas in the ENDNOTES of the book, entirely on purpose, probably to trap his critics into doing what you are doing for more material. I don't take Franken very seriously, but his books are very funny."- OdgenTugbyGlub

Yes, I saw the note buried in the back of the book. Unless your retarded, comprehending footnotes is nowhere near as complicated as Franken is making it out to be in that example.

Need another example?

Franken made another one of his mind-numbingly childish personal attacks about Coulter for using the terms, "Jackson, Fascism, Britain, and South Africa" on a Lexis Nexis search to find any reporting on a speech Jesse Jackson's-and finding none. He says, "Well yeah," as if she made up unrelated words to sabatoge the search and be able to claim that she couldn't find anything on Lexis Nexis.

What the unfunny worm leaves out is that the speech was given by Jackson in South Africa, and in it, he compared British and American conservatives to German fascists of the 1940s. Coulter's search criteria were completely sensible, but you wouldn't know it to read Franken's steaming load of baseless attacks and mockery.

I can give examples of what a liar Franken is all day long.

I thought I should add my latest find to the appropriate thread.;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“NAME THE LIBERAL HYPOCRITE” QUIZ
From Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles In Liberal Hypocrisy, by Peter Schweizer

Who says that conservatives are racist because they don’t support affirmative action but has an abysmal record of hiring blacks?
a. Barbra Streisand
b. Michael Moore
c. Al Franken
d. All of the above
Answer: D. All of the above. Of the 112 people Franken has hired to work on his books, television projects and radio program, only one was black. Of the 135 individuals Michael Moore hired, only three were black. Barbra Streisand has hired 53 senior people to work on her film projects and only one was black.

Who says that corporations are “terrorists” and has said “I don’t own a single share of stock” but secretly owns shares in Pentagon contractors like Boeing, pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer, and even Halliburton?
a. Barney Frank
b. Gloria Steinem
c. Michael Moore
Answer: C. Michael Moore. According to IRS records, Moore owns at least several hundred thousands of dollars in stock and has a broker, even though he has repeatedly claimed he doesn’t “own a single share of stock.”

Who says that Americans need to consume less to stave off ecological disaster, but spends $22,000 a year to water their lawn?
a. Hillary Clinton
b. Barbra Streisand
c. Rob Reiner
Answer: B. Barbra Streisand. The singer, who says that cutting back is the only way to protect the environment, lives alone with her husband on a compound with five homes and a 12,000 square foot air conditioned barn.

Who says the rich need to pay their fair share and favors the estate tax, but hides his own assets in numerous trusts, including one in the faraway Pacific island of Fiji?
a. George Soros
b. John Edwards
c. Ted Kennedy
Answer: C. Ted Kennedy. The Kennedys have transferred more than half a billion in money from generation to generation but according to their own records paid only $34,000 in estate taxes. Their largest asset, the Merchandise Mart real estate company, was in a trust domiciled in Fiji.

Who has proclaimed themselves a corporate activist but has made money by investing in companies they were protesting against?
a. REM’s Michael Stipe
b. Ralph Nader
c. Alec Baldwin
Answer: B. Ralph Nader. When Nader went after Firestone in the 1970s he made stock investments in Goodyear, their main competitor. When he campaigned for the breakup of Microsoft in 2000, he invested hundreds of thousands in other high-tech companies that stood to benefit.

Ann Coulter

aquapub said:
I did a research project on media bias that won an academic award. In one small part of it, I used Lexis Nexis and other research databases to sort out the accuracy of Franken's statements vs. Ann Coulter's. Franken was accurate exactly ONE time in his book.

Ann Coulter said Dale Earnhardt's death wasn't published until days after it happened in the New York Times. She used this to try to explain why she thought the paper didn't mind being so biased-that they were so out of touch with the little guy. Lexis Nexis verifies that there was a story on it in the paper. More important than this small mistake though (and what was conspicuously missing from Franken's chapter on her was any challenged whatsoever to the mountains of evidence she compiled against the paper. Evidence of them shamelessly skewing polls, flat out lying about certain Republicans, witholding stories that made liberals look bad, editing out critical information from their stories. NOT ONE MENTION.

Basing this (or any thread) on the word of this left-wing jackass makes an ass of the person who actually takes him seriously.

I'm not basing this thread on Franken, it's just the first story that poped up when I started the thread. Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them was mostly a look at Fox, I'm sure that a book could be written on Coulter too.

As for your paper, can you show me your sources? What was the academic award you received? Can you forward it to me?

I could use a Nexis Lexis search to prove almost anything if I enter the wrong search parameters, which is what noted transsexual plagiarist :mrgreen: Ann Coulter did when talking about the New York Times and Dale Earnhardt's death. There are plenty of sources out there that thoroghly discredit Ms. Coulter's work. You don't have to look hard to find them if you're interested I could find them for you.

I'm confused, the points you mention in your story are both points that Franken got right? Why don't you show me an error? He was right on the NYT's / Earnhardt story, and right on the Evan Thomas - son / grandfather story.

We suspect you know the answer to that; Coulter was inventing. (Again!) In fact, the Times did run the story of Earnhardt’s death on its front page on Monday, February 19. (NEXIS makes this perfectly clear. Which part of “Page 1” doesn’t Coulter understand?) The headline might have provided a clue: “Stock Car Star Killed on Last Lap of Daytona 500.” The piece was written by Robert Lipsyte. Here’s how the Timesman began:

Here is the NYT page one headline from 2/19/01. Earnhardt died on 2/18/01

LIPSYTE (page one, 2/19/01): Stock car racing’s greatest current star and one of its most popular and celebrated figures, Dale Earnhardt, crashed and was killed today after he made a characteristically bold lunge for better position on the last turn of the last lap of the sport’s premier event, the Daytona 500.

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh072302.shtml

Yes, I saw the note buried in the back of the book. Unless your retarded, comprehending footnotes is nowhere near as complicated as Franken is making it out to be in that example.

Need another example?

Franken made another one of his mind-numbingly childish personal attacks about Coulter for using the terms, "Jackson, Fascism, Britain, and South Africa" on a Lexis Nexis search to find any reporting on a speech Jesse Jackson's-and finding none. He says, "Well yeah," as if she made up unrelated words to sabatoge the search and be able to claim that she couldn't find anything on Lexis Nexis.

What the unfunny worm leaves out is that the speech was given by Jackson in South Africa, and in it, he compared British and American conservatives to German fascists of the 1940s. Coulter's search criteria were completely sensible, but you wouldn't know it to read Franken's steaming load of baseless attacks and mockery.

I can give examples of what a liar Franken is all day long.

Like I said, I think Franken is a funny guy, but I don't take him seriously. I found it funny because you were doing exactly what he intended for you to do. It was ironic. Jeez, stop taking PUNDITS so seriously, they're jackasses by nature.

You can view the rest of the liberal quiz here, there are quite a few liberal hypocrites yet to be exposed........

http://www.frontpagemag.com/media/pdf/NameTheLiberalHypocriteQuiz.pdf#search='liberal%20quiz'

The point here is that Franken did what Franken does. It is what he has built a career on-dishonestly smearing anyone who prefers substance and merit of class warfare hysteria and saving the gay whales. And while he witholds vital information in his childish, false attacks, he does it under the guise of "satyre," which means he can tell horribly spiteful, cleverly worded lies about people and we all have to just laugh.

In the "Evan Thomas" example, he (for once) didn't omit pertinent information, he simply buried it in some obscure page in the back of his book. He did this to "demonstrate" (i.e., lie about) how Coulter uses footnotes to "confuse" (apparently only him) and manipulate people. If you read any of her books, you will see that this is just entirely BS. There is nothing difficult or confusing about her footnotes. And, as far as I know, she is the ONLY political author who explains every step of her research so that people can verify her information. That alone should tell people she isn't trying to distort anything. It is all there in black and white.

Franken wrote a whole chapter on Coulter and couldn't even mention a single piece of media bias evidence she catalogued, only irrelevant details-which he grossly exagerrated to compensate for having no real material. With all the claims she makes, the worst thing he could find was the Dale Earnhardt thing? That is very telling. Franken does more for my faith in Republicans than most Republicans.

Originally Posted by aquapub

Aquapub,

What Academic Award did you win? Can you post your research project? I would love to see it.

As a moderate, I recognize that the media is biased. Even a man from Newsweek said that he thought that every news network except Fox wanted Kerry to defeat Bush. How do I avoid the spin? Well, there is no "mainstream media" as liberal journalists call themselves, nor is Fox News "fair and balanced". I can't avoid the spin, so I'll look at left-wing spin on the Internet and then listen to what Rush Limbaugh says about the same story. Since both the left and the right use facts selectively, if I combine the two accounts I probably have a complete picture of what really happened.

aquapub said:
That is very telling. Franken does more for my faith in Republicans than most Republicans.

Very true. I think Mr. Franken is just pissed cause his Stuart Smally movie never did well and his comedy career never went anywhere. Franken is the most prissy, childish person by the way he attacks Republicans. Like that book he wrote, "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". He didn't have to call Rush names or commented on his weight. That just shows you how immature he is.

For every liberal Al Franken, there is a conservative Stu Gahtze.

hipsterdufus said:
Aquapub,

What Academic Award did you win? Can you post your research project? I would love to see it.

Since you haven't replied, I'll assume you made the whole "Academic Award" thing up.

Yeah, you've referred to this alleged award-winning research project on other posts, but you never present it. Is it posted somewhere we can read it?

P.S. You don't have anything better to do than to dissect the writings of someone you think is a jackass? Who's the bigger jackass? You're like those liberals obsessed with parsing Bill O'Reilley's every bowel movement. You need a Franken-ectomy.

There's a whole big universe of intellectual pursuits, and you spend your days rooting out liberal bias on cereal boxes. You should get out more.

Last edited:
George_Washington said:
Very true. I think Mr. Franken is just pissed cause his Stuart Smally movie never did well and his comedy career never went anywhere. Franken is the most prissy, childish person by the way he attacks Republicans. Like that book he wrote, "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". He didn't have to call Rush names or commented on his weight. That just shows you how immature he is.

Oh, please. I have heard more comments on this forum about the appearance of liberals, most especially the appearance of liberal women and Michael Moore, than I have ever heard about any figures on the right. And it's not for lack of good material! Yet none of you guys on the right ever call them on it. It's all fun till someone pokes a stick all poor ole Rush Limbaugh.

Not to mention all the shallow, drool-stained assertions about how hot Ann Coulter is that make me want to puke. Ann Coulter herself has made disparaging comments about the appearance of liberal women herself many times. Al Franken is a comedian. People find these sort of things funny. And he is far from an anomaly in today's political media circus.

shuamort said:
If you think that's classic, look at this follow-up pic where they show where moveon.org doctored the photo.

I don't understand. Why couldn't they just use actual footage of our troops eating? What's their reasoning in doctoring something like this? What's it prove-That our troops eat meals in Iraq?

Pacridge said:
I don't understand. Why couldn't they just use actual footage of our troops eating? What's their reasoning in doctoring something like this? What's it prove-That our troops eat meals in Iraq?
Maybe there's a puritan who's against nekkid legs. :confused:

hipsterdufus said:
It seems like a pretty easy mistake to make. My 3,000,000 friends at MoveOn could have easily inserted pix of American troops - the point is the same.

Is that all you got?

Certainly not, the liberal lies are endless, you know this.;)

HOWARD DEAN FIBS ABOUT MARYLAND RNC CHAIR

RUSSERT: Like picking on what Ken Mehlman said about Michael Steel, the African-American Republican candidate in Maryland, being called an "Uncle Tom". The Democratic Senate Campaign Committee seeking his credit report.

CHAIRMAN DEAN: I don't like that stuff. Look, the Republicans have a long history of saying that those things happened. And they may or may not have. If that happened, it's not right. But Ididn't hear Ken condemning the Chairman of the Maryland Party when he called me an anti-semite.

(Transcript “Meet the Press,” November 13, 2005)

Mr. Dean declined to address the statements against Mr. Steele, but said, "I didn't hear Ken condemning the chairman of the Maryland party when he called me an anti-Semite." Mr. Dean, whose wife is Jewish, did joust with the head of the New York Republican party, but a LexisNexis search does NOT show that John M. Kane, Maryland's Republican Party leader, was involved. (No Dean apology for Steele, Washington Times, November 14, 2005)

WELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME! RNC FIGHTING BACK ON DNC IRAQ FIBS

The following video produced by the RNC uses Democratic Party leaders own words on Iraq. It is not hard to see that, to paraphrase President Bush, they were speaking the truth then, and speaking "politics" now.
............................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.libfibs.com/

On a side note....

If there never was a shortage of oil or anything close to a shortage of oil, but the shortage was of refining capacity (thanks to liberals outlawing building refineries) how is it that the degenerate conspiracy theorists who claim Bush invaded Iraq to get more UNREFINED OIL were ever taken seriously at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom