• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple -- which albums do you recommend?

Forgive my ignorance but do Jimmy Page & Robert Plant still perform together?

Led Zeppelin: everything.

Deep Purple: Machine Head.

I would tell you that you can't go wrong with ANY Led Zeppelin album. They are ALL awesome!!! I can only think of one song by Zeppelin that I don't like, and that would be "All of My Love."

TOTALLY agree!!! That's the only Led Zep song I don't like, because the vocals sound whiny.

We're like twins or something... hey, you married? :mrgreen:

No Zeppelin is bad Zeppelin. If someone wanted to start a LZ collection though I'd say II, III, then houses. My opinion though.

Deep Purple: Machine Head, Burn, and The Live Tokyo album.

My question to you: Which three (or so) original albums of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple do you recommend me buying to stock up my collection? Or, if you can't discard any albums at all, which is your preferred order for the albums of the respective band?

(My situation: A few months ago, I have decided to stock up my music collection. My focus is on rock music starting from the late 60s, especially the 70s. I'm old school, so I don't just want MP3 downloads, but something that comes with artwork I can place on my shelf -- but I'm not into vinyl, so CDs are a compromise that works for me.)

So far, I have come to enjoy 2 CD-best of collections of Led Zeppelin ("Mothership") and of Deep Purple ("30") very much, and I have one original album each (the first "Led Zeppelin" and "In Rock").

Now I'd like to buy two or three original albums from each band -- so which should I look for?

Of course, I don't mind you sharing your 70s rock favorites with me either. Are there secret tips for classic 70s rock?

Led Zepp I has two of the greatest songs they did-Good times bad times and the monster that spawned several other tunes-DAZED and Confused. Your time is going to come is great.

LZ II has my favorite-Ramble on but Three is better with several good tunes.

the untitled album, ""4" with the classic Stairway to Heaven has the uber blues destruction when the levee breaks and the beautiful Plant-Sandy Denny Duet of Battle for Evermore

DP

Machinehead and Made in Japan are great DP records. The Rod Evans era had HUSH-my favorite tune from them

another great record if you like Ian Gillan is the original Jesus Christ Superstar where he played the lead

This is the tune that really made him a international superstar

Led Zepp I has two of the greatest songs they did-Good times bad times and the monster that spawned several other tunes-DAZED and Confused. Your time is going to come is great.
I was never given it's proper due in the mainstream, but the entire album is hidden gold. Not a single bad song from GTBT all the way through, Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Baby I'm Gonna Leave You, How Many More Times.
- And now I'm gonna have to revisit that masterpiece.

Three was underrated as well but probably their best overall album writing wise. Gallows Pole was fantastic as well as Tangerine, On The Tiles, and the oft ridiculed Immigrant Song. II was a legendary album as well.

the untitled album, ""4" with the classic Stairway to Heaven has the uber blues destruction when the levee breaks and the beautiful Plant-Sandy Denny Duet of Battle for Evermore

DP

Machinehead and Made in Japan are great DP records. The Rod Evans era had HUSH-my favorite tune from them

another great record if you like Ian Gillan is the original Jesus Christ Superstar where he played the lead

This is the tune that really made him a international superstar

In complete agreement here.

I was never given it's proper due in the mainstream, but the entire album is hidden gold. Not a single bad song from GTBT all the way through, Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Baby I'm Gonna Leave You, How Many More Times.
- And now I'm gonna have to revisit that masterpiece.

Yeah, Rocket needs to start with the first album, and go from there. You don't learn about this band by starting out with In Through The Out Door or the other later albums. Listen in the order they were created. Blues and acid rock strangled sordidly together, Willie Dixon bass, screaming agony from abuse by a poisonous woman (I Can't Quit You Babe)...

My older brothers were listening to this stuff, so I tried it too, and literally have not been the same since. When I first heard Dazed And Confused I was about 15, and my mind was so surprised, why did the guitar notes and the furious drum in this song make my gut feel uneasy, great, scared, and amazed at the same time? It was what they called 'head music' at the time. I loved it, and was struck hard by The Hammer Of The Gods, but it hurt so good.

Like you said, not a bad song on the album, no throw-aways used for filler like some of the songs less talented groups often pressed on their albums.

I have the Led Zepplin discography. I can't pick a favorite, really, but if you're limiting yourself I'd say:

Led Zepplin II
Houses of the Holy
In Through the Out Door

But they contain about 5-10 songs you already have on the best-of.

Can't help you with Deep Purple

You're crazy man, bat **** ****ing insane if you think those are the best Led Zep albums. While everyone knows there's no excuse not to own them all if you had to limit to three the order of precedence is clearly and indisputably:

1) Led Zeppelin I
2) Led Zeppelin IV
3) Physical Graffiti

What the hell is wrong with the world! No one gives any credit to Physical Graffiti, In My Time of Dying man!

What the hell is wrong with the world! No one gives any credit to Physical Graffiti, In My Time of Dying man!

Its a great album but there's a lot of second rate stuff on it. If it had been a single record with the garbage weeded out I would have picked it. LZ I and III and IV really don't have any bad songs.

BTW it was the PG tour I saw

Kashmir is the obvious top tune on PG. My favorite never gets airplay from that record is this one

Led Zep -- Physical Graffiti, Zep 4, Zep 2.

DP -- Machine Head, Made in Japan, In Rock

Kashmir is the obvious top tune on PG. My favorite never gets airplay from that record is this one
My personal favorite from PG has always been The Rover.

There's just something about that main riff that is so powerful.

Back
Top Bottom