• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Leaving New York: Population loss steepest in U.S.

holbritter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
New York's population continues to decline faster than any state, according to new data released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

ALBANY – New York's population continues to decline faster than any state, according to new data released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The report found New York was just one of nine states to see a decrease in population, losing an estimated 48,510 residents between July 1, 2017, and July 1, 2018.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/l...in-us/71-f050bb1b-c1a8-4038-b37f-88356f2f8daa

And Cuomo blames it on the weather! :lamo :lamo

Cuomo said their decisions were “climate based” or “based on personal reasons.”

“There are more jobs than ever. Our taxes are lower than ever,” he told reporters after a speech at the Business Council of New York State’s annual conference at Lake George. “People were leaving upstate New York because they had to. … That is no longer the case. Somebody wants to move to Florida because they want to move to Florida. God bless them. They want to fish. They want warm weather.”
https://wskg.org/news/why-are-people-leaving-new-york-cuomo-blames-the-weather/

What a freaking idiot! How he can say our taxes are lower than ever with a straight face is hysterical.

New York's population continues to decline faster than any state, according to new data released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

ALBANY – New York's population continues to decline faster than any state, according to new data released Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The report found New York was just one of nine states to see a decrease in population, losing an estimated 48,510 residents between July 1, 2017, and July 1, 2018.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/l...in-us/71-f050bb1b-c1a8-4038-b37f-88356f2f8daa

“There are more jobs than ever. Our taxes are lower than ever,” he told reporters after a speech at the Business Council of New York State’s annual conference at Lake George. “People were leaving upstate New York because they had to. … That is no longer the case. Somebody wants to move to Florida because they want to move to Florida. God bless them. They want to fish. They want warm weather.”

What a freaking idiot! How he can say our taxes are lower than ever with a straight face is hysterical.

He is not stupid, he is a deeply corrupt liar.

And NY is a very ****ed up state.

I see where Illinois is number two in losing population. Here is the latest estimates on how loss or gain in population will effect congressional redistricting.

States Gaining Districts (6 or 7)

Arizona +1 (from 9 to 10)
Colorado +1 (from 7 to 8)
Florida +2 (from 27 to 29)
Montana even or +1 (from At-large to 2)
North Carolina +1 (from 13 to 14)
Oregon +1 (from 5 to 6)
Texas +3 (from 36 to 39)

States Losing Districts (9)

Alabama -1 (from 7 to 6)
Illinois -1 or -2 (from 18 to 17 or 16)
Michigan -1 (from 14 to 13)
Minnesota -1 or even (from 8 to 7 or none)
New York -1 (from 27 to 26)
Ohio -1 (from 16 to 15)
Pennsylvania -1 (from 18 to 17)
Rhode Island -1 (from 2 to 1)
West Virginia -1 (from 3 to 2)

California is nearing the cusp of losing a seat as well.

https://www.insightsassociation.org...or-lose-congressional-seats-after-2020-census

Weather may be playing a part as most of the states predicted to lose a district or maybe two are all cold weather states except Alabama, California is on the cusp of possibly losing one. Cold weather states gaining, Montana and Colorado. But yes, taxes has a lot to do with it also.

We've had a large influx of folks from the Northeast fleeing their heavy taxed states, they get to Georgia and then with their politics try to turn Georgia into another heavily taxed state that they just fled. Now that is what I call being down right stupid.

The problem is that many who leave end up trying to change their new state to be more like the one they left. I’d really prefer they just stay put.

If someone leaves NY for FL (or TX) it is ridiculous to assert that income taxation (or the lack thereof) was not a factor in choosing that destination. Even if NY state income taxes are "lower than ever" they are not zero thus are (infinitely?) higher than FL (or TX).

The problem is that many who leave end up trying to change their new state to be more like the one they left. I’d really prefer they just stay put.

A lot of Yankees come to Texas during the winter - damn Yankees like it so much that they stay. ;)

I don't think that there is much doubt it is the taxes. Homes seem to be taxed at about 3.5-4% of their assessed value and assessments always go up, never down. Public employees have great jobs with all the benefits. They seem to do a good job in most areas, but are just overpaid, just like the politicians. Bureaucracies work hard and sometimes screw thing up more than they help. I don't doubt their intent, it's just like they say, "a camel is a horse designed by a committee." They have lots of committees.
/

New York could better get away with being corrupt and super expensive and not caring about doing the basics like keeping the NYC Subway in good repair if the weather was better.

There's 20 million people here, that's way too many for a state this size.

So please if you don't like it here... GET OUT!!! :lol:

If someone leaves NY for FL (or TX) it is ridiculous to assert that income taxation (or the lack thereof) was not a factor in choosing that destination. Even if NY state income taxes are "lower than ever" they are not zero thus are (infinitely?) higher than FL (or TX).

Agreed. There really is no 'if' about it. My taxes, income or otherwise, are higher than ever.

There's 20 million people here, that's way too many for a state this size.

So please if you don't like it here... GET OUT!!! :lol:

Problem with that is the wrong people leave. NY isn't considered the 'welfare state' for no reason.

I don't think that there is much doubt it is the taxes. Homes seem to be taxed at about 3.5-4% of their assessed value and assessments always go up, never down. Public employees have great jobs with all the benefits. They seem to do a good job in most areas, but are just overpaid, just like the politicians. Bureaucracies work hard and sometimes screw thing up more than they help. I don't doubt their intent, it's just like they say, "a camel is a horse designed by a committee." They have lots of committees.
/

I agree with you on most of that, however, the majority of public employees are not overpaid. Yes, the benefits are good and they make up the difference of the salary one would get doing the same job in the private sector. Unfortunately most people think every employee makes the same as the ones that are reported in the media. The lower salary grade workers outnumber the executive and political appointees by far.

Look at the bright side - your temperatures are lower. ;)

True that! But I'm one of those nutters who like the snow and change in seasons. Don't like driving in it, have to admit, but I do enjoy it.

Problem with that is the wrong people leave. NY isn't considered the 'welfare state' for no reason.

I live downstate... Unemployment rate in my county is about 3%.. Housing prices and rents are SKY high, way too high. If I walk a block or so towards the Hudson River I can see 5 apartment buildings/high rises being built along the Hudson.

If I go upstate to where I was born and still have family it's a completely different world. Downtown areas in cities and towns up there are 75% empty. Housing prices 1/4 of downstate. The 'best' and many cases only jobs are Walmart and Target. Quite a few people up there work, but still need foodstamps. Also it's a aging population up there, many older people get state financial help. There's NOTHING up there for younger people, so if they can many get out.

I live downstate... Unemployment rate in my county is about 3%.. Housing prices and rents are SKY high, way too high. If I walk a block or so towards the Hudson River I can see 5 apartment buildings/high rises being built along the Hudson.

If I go upstate to where I was born and still have family it's a completely different world. Downtown areas in cities and towns up there are 75% empty. Housing prices 1/4 of downstate. The 'best' and many cases only jobs are Walmart and Target. Quite a few people up there work, but still need foodstamps. Also it's a aging population up there, many older people get state financial help. There's NOTHING up there for younger people, so if they can many get out.

I'm upstate (grew up on LI). That's the reason my daughter moved downstate and refuses to consider moving back up here. I get there is nothing here for her though, it's just me being selfish of wanting her closer. Cheaper rents mean nothing if the jobs aren't here.

I'm upstate (grew up on LI). That's the reason my daughter moved downstate and refuses to consider moving back up here. I get there is nothing here for her though, it's just me being selfish of wanting her closer. Cheaper rents mean nothing if the jobs aren't here.

You're 100% correct.

After I retired and all the kids are out of the house me and the wife really, REALLY considered moving upstate because the prices are so much cheaper. But I was born and raised up there, and I remember what the winters are like. I, like you, like the change of seasons. But the winters in upstate NY, especially in the snow belt are too harsh for me now, I'm in my 60's.. I don't want to be shoveling snow all the time. Down state the winters aren't nearly as bad.

Taxes, cost of living, and a non retiree friendly state are the reasons I just left Minnesota.

Agreed. There really is no 'if' about it. My taxes, income or otherwise, are higher than ever.

To modify what I posted earlier, I’d welcome you and anyone who appreciated lower taxes and greater personal freedom (you can get a bathtub size coke with a the super gargantuan straw to drink while you clean your guns) and wanted to keep it that way.

I see where Illinois is number two in losing population. Here is the latest estimates on how loss or gain in population will effect congressional redistricting.

States Gaining Districts (6 or 7)

Arizona +1 (from 9 to 10)
Colorado +1 (from 7 to 8)
Florida +2 (from 27 to 29)
Montana even or +1 (from At-large to 2)
North Carolina +1 (from 13 to 14)
Oregon +1 (from 5 to 6)
Texas +3 (from 36 to 39)

States Losing Districts (9)

Alabama -1 (from 7 to 6)
Illinois -1 or -2 (from 18 to 17 or 16)
Michigan -1 (from 14 to 13)
Minnesota -1 or even (from 8 to 7 or none)
New York -1 (from 27 to 26)
Ohio -1 (from 16 to 15)
Pennsylvania -1 (from 18 to 17)
Rhode Island -1 (from 2 to 1)
West Virginia -1 (from 3 to 2)

California is nearing the cusp of losing a seat as well.

https://www.insightsassociation.org...or-lose-congressional-seats-after-2020-census

Weather may be playing a part as most of the states predicted to lose a district or maybe two are all cold weather states except Alabama, California is on the cusp of possibly losing one. Cold weather states gaining, Montana and Colorado. But yes, taxes has a lot to do with it also.

We've had a large influx of folks from the Northeast fleeing their heavy taxed states, they get to Georgia and then with their politics try to turn Georgia into another heavily taxed state that they just fled. Now that is what I call being down right stupid.

Google is indicating it might follow Amazon's lead in diversifying its headquarters footprint, possibly to send a message to state governments that might be considering taxing them more. Google is opening a Google unit in New York as the fear the new California democrats are sharpening their tax knives.

And you wonder why democrats love big immigration and open borders, maybe its because those heavily lefty states keep losing people.

As a life long NYC citizen, I agree that NYS is mired in financial political corruption. I cannot think of any state in the nation not facing in its own way the same problem.

Andy has been governor far too long, and it is another office that could benefit from term limits. The recent round of convictions and indictments of many of his associates is the evidence. No one else wants the job.

Few recognize the geographical size and distinctions of NYS regions, some having never recovered from the depressions of the late 1800's. Some of which have flourished beyond anyone'e possible expectations. NYC and NYS are in no way of similarity and connection than accidental geography.

Cuomo is partially correct, the upstate weather, regardless current climate arguments, has always been abysmally cold. All those stories you heard about Valley Forge are true. As simply as possible, the waterways of NYS, the St. Lawrence seaway, the Great Lakes, the Hudson River and its tributaries made the State a natural highway for the burgeoning nation, creating industry, farm communities, and so forth drawing a population. As the waterways fell behind more efficient transportation, so went the jobs which moved to other locales. The winter weather was not worth bearing. Technology brought other changes and the regions did not adapt industrially. Where there were farms and industry there is now abandoned land. Certainly there are regional exceptions, areas where tourism, great wealth vacation homes flourish, pockets of industry and so forth, where many reside and do well. It is a state where the differences between the haves and have nots stands out more than most.

Part of the reason is NYC, which shifted from manufacturing (which still exists in abundance) to economic services, making it the economic capital of the world. A set of islands where the greatest resource is its people, like Paris, London, Hong Kong, Singapore and so on. It's taxes support the state and the nation. Yes, the taxes are ridiculously high and every politician has their fingers in the trough, yet that is the nature of man, regardless of the system of governance or who controls the political power for the moment. To survive in NYC one must be educated or in an essential purpose. It is a city where plumbers are millionaires. We have exceptionally high earnings, and with high earnings come high taxes. We want the first, get struck and stuck with the second. Pay unto Caesar....

The city and nearby suburban communities suffer a relative low welfare population compared to the rest of the nation. Crime stats are at all time lows. People who leave, for the most part are retirees seeking warmer climes, lower taxes on fixed incomes, and young people who can't cut it here with the fierce materialistic competition. We do have an aging population, and we are dependent on immigration for the new blood that keeps the city vital, but that doesn't work for the state where the opportunities don't exist.

People like the OP take personal comfort hearing and speaking ill of NY, fulfilling their own insecurities bases on the usual prejudices, like race, liberalism vs conservatism, and all the other nonsense but then these are individuals who could never cut it here, and likely are failures where they reside today. People of dreams never coming close to be fulfilled, empty shells dependent upon the perceived misery of others. People who never sailed the Hudson, people who wouldn't last a winter's month of blizzards they'd encounter in a Great Lake or Finger Lakes home. People with no fortitude and no hope for themselves, the first to run from adversity rather than turn adversity to their advantage. People with worthless opinions and no accomplishments.

To modify what I posted earlier, I’d welcome you and anyone who appreciated lower taxes and greater personal freedom (you can get a bathtub size coke with a the super gargantuan straw to drink while you clean your guns) and wanted to keep it that way.

When we were talking about moving, Texas and Arizona were at the top of the list. Got a few years to go yet. Greater personal freedom is a big lure. :cool:

People like the OP take personal comfort hearing and speaking ill of NY, fulfilling their own insecurities bases on the usual prejudices, like race, liberalism vs conservatism, and all the other nonsense but then these are individuals who could never cut it here, and likely are failures where they reside today. People of dreams never coming close to be fulfilled, empty shells dependent upon the perceived misery of others. People who never sailed the Hudson, people who wouldn't last a winter's month of blizzards they'd encounter in a Great Lake or Finger Lakes home. People with no fortitude and no hope for themselves, the first to run from adversity rather than turn adversity to their advantage. People with worthless opinions and no accomplishments.

You know nothing about me, so your opinion is worthless.

You know nothing about me, so your opinion is worthless.

I Know everything about you Hol, I've read your posts.

You sound like David Ramsey, the brilliant programer who gave Apple its kickstart, the programmer who gave us the first OCR programs and much more. The differences were he was a genius. Claimed he was in search of Freedom, left California for Nevada, lower taxes, easier gun laws and all the rest, plus he was looking for a white paradise. Didn't find it, bought an island in the Caribbean, and then pulled a Hemingway. No one speaks of David and his millions any more, but his widow remarried, and her two liberal stepsons got his money. So it was written, so it is.

Back
Top Bottom