• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Leaving...A Little At A Time

So, I went to visit mom last Friday. She's 84...has some health issues; but she's a real energizer bunny girl. McDonald's once a week. Church on Sunday. Out for lunch with a girlfriend every once in a while.

Just for the heck of it, I asked to see her pill box (the Monday-Friday kind). She said, "Oh, I don't use that anymore." What? Mom takes 19 pills a day (by the time she cuts a few in half because they're too big).

I accused her of not taking her pills, rather crossly, and then she just swore she was taking them all. Absolutely!! I laughed and told her she needed a good spanking; she laughed back. I then carefully put her pill box together for the next week...made lunch for her and her BFF...visited a long while and headed home. Friday's "our day."

She's having a CAT scan tomorrow and needs to drink some stuff tonight; so I decided I'd go over and fix it for her...I can tell she's getting confused all of a sudden because she's asked me about what she needs to do at least a half-dozen times in the last few days.

While I was there, I decided to check her pill box. Well, you probably guessed it. Some days she only took half; some days she took all but one group. "I don't LIKE taking all those pills," she said -- petulant -- just like a little girl.

And that's when I realized that mom was slowly leaving...one little footstep at a time.

Sad day today. Just. Sad.

MaggieD, Best wishes for you and your Mom, hopefully she just needs an adjustment in her meds.
Enjoy the time you have with her.

Back
Top Bottom