• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Leave Afghanistan?

Hoot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
About one hour ago, the President of Afghanistan, Karzai (sp?) announced that foreign military intervention in his country is no longer needed. I don't have the whole story yet, but it sounds like Karzai is asking the United States to leave Afghanistan?

If this is true, I believe the U.S. has a moral obligation to withdraw all troops.

Do I believe this will happen?

No, not with Bush in office...but here we have a different dilemna...the president of this nation is saying that the U.S. is no longer needed. That's good enough for me, and the United States should not impose its military prescence in nations that no longer want us.

Just wondered how some of you felt about this late breaking news?

We could certainly use the money we're spending in Afghanistan, right?

i agree with you, but i do not think that Afghanistan has changed at all. if we leave now, we might as well not have come.

i agree with you, but i do not think that Afghanistan has changed at all. if we leave now, we might as well not have come.

I think your right on.

Clone said:

Skilmatic said:
I think your right on.

I appreciate the posts, but, frankly I'm surprised more people haven't responded? I thought this was the biggest news of the day? Here we have a nation that is literally asking us to leave...I don't see how we can be an 'occupying' force when they don't want us there?

The same may very well happen in Iraq once the new government gets on its feet...what do we do? Stay anyway? Boy...that'll look real good in the eyes of the world and the radical Islamists. We'll have proven the terrorists right about our intentions...we never intend on leaving.

It's an interesting situation. On one hand, we've got free elections (with women running as well), and that's a huge change from the former Taliban regime. On the other hand, reports are coming in that while the capital is revitalized, the rest of the country isn't:
But that’s exactly what has happened. Apart from Kabul, Afghanistan today looks remarkably like the Afghanistan of 1992.

Once again, it has been carved up by — and relinquished to — the Afghan warlords, who have stepped in to fill the vacuum left by a United States not prepared to provide the soldiers and the funding needed to rebuild over the long term. Afghanistan, as before, is newly fractured and unstable.

Is this suppose to be a poll? Why is it in the poll forum?

Navy Pride said:
Is this suppose to be a poll? Why is it in the poll forum?
Good question!

Mod note

Moved to international politics

/Mod note

US has no intention to leave. They've actually been talks of permanant bases to "completely uproot and further secure the area from al-queda and the taliban."

nkgupta80 said:
US has no intention to leave. They've actually been talks of permanant bases to "completely uproot and further secure the area from al-queda and the taliban."

The countries fighting in Afghanistan are from NATO and if the elected government there asks us to leave we will do so.......That is the difference between occupying a country and liberating one.........

The countries fighting in Afghanistan are from NATO and if the elected government there asks us to leave we will do so.......That is the difference between occupying a country and liberating one.........

You may agree to leave, the US government may not. I doubt the Afghani government has much say in US involvement there. When the US sees it right, they'll leave. i'm betting the government will find a plausible excuse.

nkgupta80 said:
You may agree to leave, the US government may not. I doubt the Afghani government has much say in US involvement there. When the US sees it right, they'll leave. i'm betting the government will find a plausible excuse.

Like I said Afghnistan is not like Iraq..In Iraq it is mainly the U.S. and the Brits..........In Afghanistan its most of the countries in NATO including France and Germany.....

that doesn't necessarily mean they all pull out together...

Back
Top Bottom