• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Leahy expected to preside over Trump impeachment trial instead of Chief Justice Roberts

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The chief justice of the United States is constitutionally required to oversee impeachment trials of sitting presidents. But it's not clear whether the chief justice is required to oversee a trial of a former president. That Roberts will not oversee the upcoming trial is evidence that he and top Senate leaders do not believe he must be there for the body to hold a legitimate trial of a former president.

As I expected, Chief Justice Roberts want no part of this partisan shit show.

Well, well, well. Let’s just see if Pelosi is as crazy as I think she is. Acting like a jilted lover, she has been denied her chance to make Trump a martyr, and now conned one of the dumbest of the dumb shits in the House to jump the shark. Why won’t she do it herself in stead of relying on a man?

This is a true test of the media’s partisanship. Trump himself could not have planned it any better.

Well, well, well. Let’s just see if Pelosi is as crazy as I think she is. Acting like a jilted lover, she has been denied her chance to make Trump a martyr, and now conned one of the dumbest of the dumb shits in the House to jump the shark. Why won’t she do it herself in stead of relying on a man?

This is a true test of the media’s partisanship. Trump himself could not have planned it any better.
Comments...

It's not that " top Senate leaders do not believe he must be there for the body to hold a legitimate trial of a former president. " Rather, Roberts says, as you say, he wants no part of this shit show. He's telling them they'll have to do it themselves...and without him.

Leahy is not a member of the House. He's a Senator. And, it has to be a Senator running the shit show because this is a Senate trial. Nancy has no power to preside over this part.

The most Nancy can do...and she will do it, it's her preferred way of doing things...is influence Leahy from the sidelines.

But Roberts isn't out of this completely. If the Senate actually convicts Trump and decide he cannot run for President in 2024, it is a certainty that will be challenged in court as being unconstitutional...and it'll end up in front of Roberts and the rest of the Supremes.

This is spinning completely out of control! For goodness sakes what the blank is wrong with the democrats?

And here is what the "Judge" thinks about president Trump! He already has decided on his "guilt". What a sham!!

01.13.21 Comment On The Second Impeachment Of President Donald Trump

Today’s decisive and bipartisan vote in the House of Representatives to impeach President Trump was nothing less than a vote to preserve our democracy.

President Trump has not simply failed to uphold his oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, which itself would be sufficient to warrant his impeachment and removal. He has emerged as the greatest threat to the Constitution and to American democracy in a generation.
He sparked the flames of sedition and has fanned them relentlessly. For months he has lied about the election in an effort to undermine Americans’ faith in our democracy. He has promoted division, disruption, and violence. He has attempted to thwart our nation’s unbroken history of a constitutional and peaceful transfer of power.

Senate Democrats are ready to try the President for his high crimes and misdemeanors now. Given the threat he continues to pose to our system of government, we owe it to the American people and to the Constitution to do so. I hope that Leader McConnell and Senate Republicans will stand with our constitutional republic, as did 10 Republicans in the House of Representatives today. Leader McConnell must agree to hold this trial without delay. For the good of the country, he must lead his party in voting to convict President Trump and to prevent him from holding future office. Both parties must send a unified message across the ages: no authoritarians are welcome in the halls of the world’s greatest democracy.

Read the full statement at the link.....

Comments...

It's not that " top Senate leaders do not believe he must be there for the body to hold a legitimate trial of a former president. " Rather, Roberts says, as you say, he wants no part of this shit show. He's telling them they'll have to do it themselves...and without him.

Leahy is not a member of the House. He's a Senator. And, it has to be a Senator running the shit show because this is a Senate trial. Nancy has no power to preside over this part.

The most Nancy can do...and she will do it, it's her preferred way of doing things...is influence Leahy from the sidelines.

But Roberts isn't out of this completely. If the Senate actually convicts Trump and decide he cannot run for President in 2024, it is a certainty that will be challenged in court as being unconstitutional...and it'll end up in front of Roberts and the rest of the Supremes.

Well, this is a conundrum. How can the "presiding 'Member'" both preside AND vote?

Talk about Kangaroo Court proceedings!

Roberts is just being overtly political.

If you look carefully at his judicial decisions while on the S.C., you'll see that several of his rulings were agenda based. He's a modern day Roger B. Taney.

Well, this is a conundrum. How can the "presiding 'Member'" both preside AND vote?

You mean like in every other impeachment of anyone other other than a sitting president?

When reading a Fox News article, it’s always best to find other sources.

That’s where your Constitution comes in.

I don’t think Senator Leary was a random pick.

Jury members find themselves as witnesses and victims in the proceedings.

Kangaroo is so last impeachment.......

You mean like in every other impeachment of anyone other other than a sitting president?

When reading a Fox News article, it’s always best to find other sources.

Remind me.

When was the last time a President who has already left office was tried by the Senate after being impeached?

I'll wait. :coffee:

This whole mess is due to a bunch of old cretins who refuse to accept that their jobs are the unglamorous slog through legislation on behalf of citizens.
Pelosi: 80 years old
Schummer: 70, a youngster.
McConnell: 78
Leahy: 80
These are the people jamming the country up over grudges with Trump.

As I expected...
As in you mean you are wrong again? Yes, I see that trend. Hey, have you figured out yet that Biden has white people in his cabinet?

Say a President does something like sell secrets to a foreign power. He is impeached but resigns before it goes to the Senate.

Does the President's resignation stop the process?

This is spinning completely out of control! For goodness sakes what the blank is wrong with the democrats?

And here is what the "Judge" thinks about president Trump! He already has decided on his "guilt". What a sham!!

01.13.21 Comment On The Second Impeachment Of President Donald Trump

Today’s decisive and bipartisan vote in the House of Representatives to impeach President Trump was nothing less than a vote to preserve our democracy.

President Trump has not simply failed to uphold his oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, which itself would be sufficient to warrant his impeachment and removal. He has emerged as the greatest threat to the Constitution and to American democracy in a generation.
He sparked the flames of sedition and has fanned them relentlessly. For months he has lied about the election in an effort to undermine Americans’ faith in our democracy. He has promoted division, disruption, and violence. He has attempted to thwart our nation’s unbroken history of a constitutional and peaceful transfer of power.

Senate Democrats are ready to try the President for his high crimes and misdemeanors now. Given the threat he continues to pose to our system of government, we owe it to the American people and to the Constitution to do so. I hope that Leader McConnell and Senate Republicans will stand with our constitutional republic, as did 10 Republicans in the House of Representatives today. Leader McConnell must agree to hold this trial without delay. For the good of the country, he must lead his party in voting to convict President Trump and to prevent him from holding future office. Both parties must send a unified message across the ages: no authoritarians are welcome in the halls of the world’s greatest democracy.

Read the full statement at the link.....
And he considers himself to be impartial?

Say a President does something like sell secrets to a foreign power. He is impeached but resigns before it goes to the Senate.

Does the President's resignation stop the process?
Apparently so! Except that the DOJ can build a case and seek an indictment of a former president, regardless of the outcome of the senate trial.

As I've posted before, the senate trial is about getting cowardly GOP senators on the record - one way or the other. If they vote to convict, the Trump base will crucify them in the primaries. If they vote to acquit, they have to answer to the electorate during the general election. It is a lose/lose for GOP senators.

Apparently so! Except that the DOJ can build a case and seek an indictment of a former president, regardless of the outcome of the senate trial.

As I've posted before, the senate trial is about getting cowardly GOP senators on the record - one way or the other. If they vote to convict, the Trump base will crucify them in the primaries. If they vote to acquit, they have to answer to the electorate during the general election. It is a lose/lose for GOP senators.

I think that the reasoning that if someone leaves the office the process has stopped is pretty bonkers.

It really doesn't make much sense to me. I am not sure why Roberts is bowing out.... i have my ideas... but none of them seem to be because he is doing what is "right"

I am not sure why Roberts is bowing out.... i have my ideas... but none of them seem to be because he is doing what is "right"
last I heard, he stated that he was too busy - as in a busy schedule.

I'd like to see an impartial judge preside over the hearing rather than any Senator doing this, but it is what it is.

Ask yourself why the chief justice presides over the impeachment trial of a sitting president and nobody else? Who is the president of the senate?

I think Roberts declined because there is a chance that the constitutionality of the Impeachment Trial may come to the Supreme Court and he would have to recuse himself.

Trump impeachment: Patrick Leahy, longest-serving Senate Democrat, to preside over trial (wsbtv.com)
“The president pro tempore has historically presided over Senate impeachment trials of non-presidents. When presiding over an impeachment trial, the president pro tempore takes an additional special oath to do impartial justice according to the Constitution and the laws. It is an oath that I take extraordinarily seriously.”

“I consider holding the office of the president pro tempore and the responsibilities that come with it to be one of the highest honors and most serious responsibilities of my career. When I preside over the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump, I will not waver from my constitutional and sworn obligations to administer the trial with fairness, in accordance with the Constitution and the laws.”

That's how the Senate works. The presiding officer can almost always vote - except if it is the VP presiding, in which case they can only vote to break a tie.

I think Roberts declined because there is a chance that the constitutionality of the Impeachment Trial may come to the Supreme Court and he would have to recuse himself.

It won't, and he wouldn't have to recuse himself anyway.

Impeachment is non-justiciable.

The only reason the chief justice presides over an impeachment trial for a sitting president is because of conflict of interest. The vice president is the president of the senate and has a conflict in participating in an impeachment trial of a sitting president since he would become president if the president was removed from office. No other official has that conflict of interest and therefore it's all handled by the senate. The impeachment trial is not a judicial proceeding.

It is a mistake to believe that whoever presiding over the impeachment is in the position of a "judge". That's not how this works.

In a courtroom, the judge is there to answer questions of law, as well as maintain decorum. That is not the case, in an impeachment - where the presiding officer functions solely to maintain decorum and order. They have no authority to determine questions of law, because the law isn't at issue.

Comparisons between impeachments and criminal trials are only going to lead you down the wrong rabbit-holes. Impeachment is not an exercise of legal justice, but a political action.

I think that the reasoning that if someone leaves the office the process has stopped is pretty bonkers.

It really doesn't make much sense to me. I am not sure why Roberts is bowing out.... i have my ideas... but none of them seem to be because he is doing what is "right"
The impeachment process is stopped but the legal process is not. If there is evidence that Trump incited an insurrection, the Justice Department can indict him.

Back
Top Bottom