• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawyers Depart Alaska as Miller’s Chances Dim

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

JUNEAU, Alaska – The lawyers have started leaving.

That is perhaps the surest sign that Joe Miller’s chances of becoming the next senator from Alaska are evaporating. With each passing day that election workers here in the state capital manually count write-in votes cast for Senator Lisa Murkowski, it appears increasingly likely that Alaskans spell too well for Mr. Miller’s math to work.

Assisted by lawyers sent by the Republican National Senatorial Committee, the Miller campaign set out to challenge every smudge, stray mark and misspelling they could find (and, often, only they could find) on write-in votes that appeared to be for Ms. Murkowski.

The plan was to question enough votes to close the 11,000-vote margin by which he trails – and then to convince the courts that those challenged votes should be discounted.

Alaska law says write-in votes will be counted if the name or last name is written “as it appears” on the candidate’s declaration form. But state election officials, citing legal precedent in the state, said they would count all votes in which they could determine “voter intent,” misspellings aside.

It's over Johnny.

Alaska redeems itself.:mrgreen:

By re-electing a Republican? And an establishment Republican (you know, the really evil guys who torture innocents and destroyed the country) at that? :lamo :lamo :lamo

By re-electing a Republican? And an establishment Republican (you know, the really evil guys who torture innocents and destroyed the country) at that? :lamo :lamo :lamo

No by electing a moderate or CENTER RIGHT person instead of the wannabee dictator MILLER.

I prefer the lady-she has the best legs in the senate!!

I prefer the lady-she has the best legs in the senate!!

I always thought it was Landrieu. Of course, if the nutcase in Delaware had won, she'd have been the hottest Senator ever, hands down.

I always thought it was Landrieu. Of course, if the nutcase in Delaware had won, she'd have been the hottest Senator ever, hands down.

I think Lisa has Mary beat in the wheels department. I saw Nutcase on Leno the other night in a pantsuit-I didn't think she was all that hot. Not in Palin's league for sure

She's not in the senate, but I think Nikki Haley is the prettiest one elected this time.
I wouldn't mind looking like her.

good point

Heck, despite what he preached, Miller deserved to lose. That stunt in 2008 with the computers and lying about it was enough to lose a lot of support, which it did. Miller blew it then. Hopefully Alaska can put up a more credible Conservative next time.

How come when I call Sarah Palin an idiot for having absolutely no platform of any substance and no idea how the world works, I'm called a sexist.

And yet, this thread.

I can't believe so many of you are talking about the candidates looks and not the topic..

This thread is a lost cause..

It's over Johnny.

It ain't over yet.
Nov 13, 2010
Murkowski camp growing more confident of victory

there are still thousands other votes yet to be tallied (at least 8,800 absentee votes plus more to be tallied from overseas) which could skew in Miller's favor, and if the difference between Miller and Murkowski is 1,246 or fewer votes -- 0.5 percent of all votes cast -- the election outcome will be close enough to trigger a state-funded recount. Not to mention Miller has launched a series of legal questions about whether less-than-perfect votes -- those with misspellings -- should count. He says no, Murkwoski says yes, and the court fight could become much higher stakes if it is challenged ballots on which the election will be decided. Also, more recently Miller has lodged allegations of possible fraud, and he's seeking voter registries to verify that the number of votes from certain areas didn't exceed the number of legally registered voters and to assess whether voters filled out their own ballots.

There is no way write-ins with spelling mistakes should count. First it's the law, second who is to interpret the write-in wasn't meant as a menace to Murkowski (you cannot read people's minds/intent), and 3... people were allowed to take lists in with them to the booth... a first.

If you cannot spell your candidate's name correctly... tough darts. Right Halfnut?

Last edited:
second who is to interpret the write-in wasn't meant as a menace to Murkowski (you cannot read people's minds/intent)

Huh?

If someone goes into a voting booth and writes "Murkoski," "Murkowsky," or "Murkowski," I don't think we'd really have to engage in mind reading to figure out what they were trying to do. Also not sure how those could be read "as a menace to Murkowski," whatever that means.

and how many other people with that name ran a write-in campaign in Alaska? none.

Huh?

If someone goes into a voting booth and writes "Murkoski," "Murkowsky," or "Murkowski," I don't think we'd really have to engage in mind reading to figure out what they were trying to do. Also not sure how those could be read "as a menace to Murkowski," whatever that means.

How do you know they weren't just pissing away their vote as a protest?
You don't, and the rules are the rules... otherwise you get into a mind reading contest, just as they had on 2000.

Further, they allowed lists to brought in.

You cannot go changing the rules half-way through the process. There are rules before the game starts. Changing the rules during the process... that's what they do in banana republics.

Last edited:
How do you know they weren't just pissing away their vote as a protest?

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people decided to protest the election by going to the polls and writing in "Murkowsky."

You don't, and the rules are the rules... otherwise you get into a mind reading contest, just as they had on 2000.

You don't see a difference between "he put an X in one box and a scribble in the other - who does that mean?" and "he wrote 'Murkowskie' - who could that mean?"

You cannot go changing the rules half-way through the process. There are rules before the game starts. Changing the rules during the process... that's what they do in banana republics.

How was any of this changing the rules halfway through? According to Alaska, they've always allowed voter intent to play a role in interpreting write-ins.

In hindsight, had Miller truly wanted to game the system, he would have found three loyal Alaskan Republicans with names very similar to Murkowsky. I believe that there was a late push to bog down the write-in list with a quantity of names once the Courts up there ruled that a printed list would be available for voters. To my knowlwdge, it did not contain Murkowsky look-alike names. Had Miller gotten a few on it, he might have snookered the election. Not saying I approve of such, but they don't care much what I think anyway :roll:.

In hindsight, had Miller truly wanted to game the system, he would have found three loyal Alaskan Republicans with names very similar to Murkowsky. I believe that there was a late push to bog down the write-in list with a quantity of names once the Courts up there ruled that a printed list would be available for voters. To my knowlwdge, it did not contain Murkowsky look-alike names. Had Miller gotten a few on it, he might have snookered the election. Not saying I approve of such, but they don't care much what I think anyway :roll:.

I would have ran ads with her name spelled wrong. :mrgreen:

Purrrrs

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people decided to protest the election by going to the polls and writing in "Murkowsky."
You don't know, anymore than you know why I misspelled Hazlnut's name above. See... you do not have any way of knowing the intent (unless I tell you, and after a vote is casted it's too late... the intent could change for any number of reasons.)

You might think it was malice, it wasn't. I got infracted long, long ago and have not done it since.

My intent was not to call Hazlnut a name ... I turned the lights out and typed in his name... Halfnut is what came out.

And, as with the ballots of Murkowski being misspelled, you do not and cannot know the intent.

You can never know. That is why rules are and should be plain and simple. The name must be correctly spelled.
You don't see a difference between "he put an X in one box and a scribble in the other - who does that mean?" and "he wrote 'Murkowskie' - who could that mean?"
See above.

How was any of this changing the rules halfway through? According to Alaska, they've always allowed voter intent to play a role in interpreting write-ins.
We will find out next week.

For Joe Miller, it's the letter of the law. For Lisa Murkowski, it's voter intent. A federal judge has ordered lawyers for both of them to submit legal briefs next week in a lawsuit filed by Miller. He claims the state improperly changed the recount rules at the last minute. Despite the legal battle, the vote counting goes on.

Here's the issue. Alaska election law says a write-in vote will count if the candidate's name is written on the ballot "as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy." Writing only the candidate's last name also counts. Those rules, the Alaska election code says, are mandatory "and there are no exceptions to them."

First Read - Showdown over 'voter intent' in Alaska

Last edited:
"Wannabe dictator"?

Yeap, that is what i I call someone who jails the media, and tries to overthrow a person because he didn't win. Also he tired to do election fraud to win AGAINST Randy Ruedrich.

I kind thought that his ethical breach is consider a crime, and I would also like to know the reaction too that remark.

Last edited:
You don't know, anymore than you know why I misspelled Hazlnut's name above. See... you do not have any way of knowing the intent (unless I tell you, and after a vote is casted it's too late... the intent could change for any number of reasons.)

You might think it was malice, it wasn't. I got infracted long, long ago and have not done it since.

My intent was not to call Hazlnut a name ... I turned the lights out and typed in his name... Halfnut is what came out.

And, as with the ballots of Murkowski being misspelled, you do not and cannot know the intent.

You can never know. That is why rules are and should be plain and simple. The name must be correctly spelled.

See above..

We will find out next week.

You see, even though you typed Halfnut, we ALL could determine that you were refering to Hazlnut. We all knew your use of Halfnut was infact meant to be or at least refered to Hazlnut

The same goes for misspelling a persons name on a voting ballot, if their is only one person who has a write in campaign, and the person's name is Hazlnut, but you put down Halfnut, we would all know you meant Halfnut

And yet at no point did I think you were actually trying to refer to "Eighty Deuce" or "RightinNYC." Pretty straightforward.

Yeap, that is what i I call someone who jails the media,

"Jailed the media"? Granted I don't know a whole lot about him, so what does this even mean?

and tries to overthrow a person because he didn't win.

Challenging a close election according to election law is trying to "overthrow" someone?

So, Gore tried to "overthrow" Bush? Gore is a wannabe dictator?

Also he tired to do election fraud to win AGAINST Randy Ruedrich.

From the looks of it, he may have misused equipment, but that's not "election fraud."

I'm not at all claiming he's a good guy (really don't care), but "wannabe dictator" is something else entirely.

"Jailed the media"? Granted I don't know a whole lot about him, so what does this even mean?

Challenging a close election according to election law is trying to "overthrow" someone?

So, Gore tried to "overthrow" Bush? Gore is a wannabe dictator?

From the looks of it, he may have misused equipment, but that's not "election fraud."

I'm not at all claiming he's a good guy (really don't care), but "wannabe dictator" is something else entirely.

well, i think even if he won all challenged ballots he would still lose the election. and yet, he's still fighting on, or was this morning.

Back
Top Bottom