• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawyer for Covington Catholic HS Families Threatens Lawsuits Against Media Unless They Retract False

Common Sense 1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Note the full title would not fit in the title box.

Nice to see a lawyer step up to defend the kids. The offer has been made?
Will they accept it? Probably not

Lawyer for Covington Catholic HS Families Threatens Lawsuits Against Media Unless They Retract False Stories

https://pjmedia.com/trending/lawyer-for-covington-catholic-hs-families-threatens-lawsuits-against-media-unless-they-retract-false-stories/

Thanks to the sloppy, one-sided reporting of the malicious, agenda-driven media, a group of Catholic high school teenagers and their families have become the subjects of threats and harassment from a hateful online outrage mob. Their only sins? Being white, Catholic, and supporters of the president.

The full story has emerged in the wake of the fake news blitzkrieg over the weekend, and the media outlets that spread defamatory smears against the kids are now being warned to correct and retract their stories or face a lawsuit. Contrary to the media's malicious narrative, the kids were not racist rednecks mobbing a Native American elder with hateful slurs. It was quite the opposite.

Los Angeles-based trial lawyer Robert Barnes offered to represent the Covington families for free should they decide to sue the New York Times.

I will represent the kids for free if they want to sue @maggieNYT for obvious libel. https://t.co/VmqVqIVNoe
— Robert Barnes (@Barnes_Law) January 20, 2019

Lawyer for Covington Catholic HS Families Threatens Lawsuits Against Media Unless They Retract False Stories

https://pjmedia.com/trending/lawyer-for-covington-catholic-hs-families-threatens-lawsuits-against-media-unless-they-retract-false-stories/

Thanks to the sloppy, one-sided reporting of the malicious, agenda-driven media, a group of Catholic high school teenagers and their families have become the subjects of threats and harassment from a hateful online outrage mob. Their only sins? Being white, Catholic, and supporters of the president.

The full story has emerged in the wake of the fake news blitzkrieg over the weekend, and the media outlets that spread defamatory smears against the kids are now being warned to correct and retract their stories or face a lawsuit. Contrary to the media's malicious narrative, the kids were not racist rednecks mobbing a Native American elder with hateful slurs. It was quite the opposite.

Los Angeles-based trial lawyer Robert Barnes offered to represent the Covington families for free should they decide to sue the New York Times.

I will represent the kids for free if they want to sue @maggieNYT for obvious libel. https://t.co/VmqVqIVNoe

Unfortunately all that tomahawk chopping didn't make those boys look good. If I were them, I'd drop it. Those images will follow them around forever.

The sins had nothing to do with them being white and Catholic. The paranoia in your post was pretty sad.

Maybe next time they will not make fun of Indians as they did.

They and the Native American should all slink back into obscurity.

Unfortunately all that tomahawk chopping didn't make those boys look good. If I were them, I'd drop it. Those images will follow them around forever.

The sins had nothing to do with them being white and Catholic. The paranoia in your post was pretty sad.

This is probably one of the most lowest posts that i have seen from you yet.
These boys did nothing wrong.

They were simply there for an event excerising a right when they were verbally assaulted by
the radical left wing nut jobs. Those black guys and indian guy who is a activist by the way.

were the ones that got in their face and started calling them names. the boys did nothing wrong
and in fact attempted to de-escalate the situation. it was all caught on video showing what they did
and what they said. that indian lied his teeth off in the news article and the paper published it knowing
full well that it was a lie.

that is cause for slander and defamation.

Doesn't stand a chance. Media reported the information they had, and even with additional information over the last few days, the kids still look bad. The more this story lives, more other media digs. They might regret it.

A big shoutout to Mr. Barnes.

It's reassuring to know that there are still a few decent people left in the United States of America.

Of course, no jury in New York state or California would ever rule against the The New York Times.

Oh, well, maybe someday the Times will get its comeuppance.

Doesn't sound like he's really their lawyer yet. Looks more like he's out for media attention for himself.

Honestly I think the best thing for the kids and their families is to just let this thing go and let it die a quick death, because rightly or wrongly reported, the video makes the kids look really bad.

Doesn't sound like he's really their lawyer yet. Looks more like he's out for media attention for himself.

Honestly I think the best thing for the kids and their families is to just let this thing go and let it die a quick death, because rightly or wrongly reported, the video makes the kids look really bad.

Not if you look at the full video/story.

They were simply there for an event excerising a right when they were verbally assaulted by
the radical left wing nut jobs. Those black guys and indian guy who is a activist by the way.

were the ones that got in their face and started calling them names. the boys did nothing wrong
and in fact attempted to de-escalate the situation. it was all caught on video showing what they did
and what they said. that indian lied his teeth off in the news article and the paper published it knowing

Yes, making obnoxious tomahawk chop motions to an elderly Indian is "nothing wrong".

Welcome to Trump Fan Nation, where kids can be rude and disrespectful and on the hairy edge of bigoted, and nothing is wrong.

Congratulations. Trump really did make your brain turn to mush. Well done, son.

There was a time in this country where people owned their bad behaviors. The black Israelites shouted awful things to these kids. Nobody is excusing their behaviors. The kids acted like little punks, and people are pretending that didn't happen.

Being harassed by someone else isn't an excuse to act like a punk to an elderly Indian.

You are right. Everyone should let this go. I don't think the kids will appreciate it when they're 25 and applying for jobs, and a hiring manager with NA blood sees them acting like little punks doing tomahawk chops. Kids are kids, and luckily most of them grow out of obnoxious behavior. This lawyer, clamoring for fame a la Avenatti, is actually not doing them a favor. Not to mention, they won't win.

Your post won't get through, the Trump hate runs through and through, it's bad.

There was a time in this country where people owned their bad behaviors. The black Israelites shouted awful things to these kids. Nobody is excusing their behaviors. The kids acted like little punks, and people are pretending that didn't happen.

Being harassed by someone else isn't an excuse to act like a punk to an elderly Indian.

You are right. Everyone should let this go. I don't think the kids will appreciate it when they're 25 and applying for jobs, and a hiring manager with NA blood sees them acting like little punks doing tomahawk chops. Kids are kids, and luckily most of them grow out of obnoxious behavior. This lawyer, clamoring for fame a la Avenatti, is actually not doing them a favor. Not to mention, they won't win.
Face it, you fell for the story hook line and sinker. Once a TDS'er like you saw that MAGA hat, and that they where white ( ughh) males ( double ughhh) that was all you needed to rush to judgment . Everything about that original story was BS.

#pathetic#intolerant #leftist bigot

You seem to have (unilaterally?) decided that the tomahawk chop was jeering (racist behavior?) rather than cheering (audience participation?). The initial reporting made it appear that the student group approached (confronted?) the drumming and chanting Native Americans when the opposite was the case. It seems that two small groups of adult activists tried very hard to get a reaction from the larger group of students and succeeded - why was that not clearly stated as the "news"?

image.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_chop

Doesn't stand a chance. Media reported the information they had, and even with additional information over the last few days, the kids still look bad. The more this story lives, more other media digs. They might regret it.

The kids were set on by two groups of adults seeking to agitate them, and for kids they did a great job of restraining themselves. Much better than, say, ANTIFA would have...

I mean, the kids have no clue what the guy with the drum was saying, so it just appeared to be mocking, and they were already being mocked by another group of adults at the time he showed up with his drum to get in their faces.

The adults should be ashamed. The kids are kids.

As for whether there is a case, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Does the news media have an obligation to validate a story before blasting it out over the web and airways? Probably not, which is troubling given that the news media seems to have lost any sense of moral obligation to hold off on a story that can do harm until they are sure it is true. I don't want to trash the first amendment because these news agencies are reckless assholes, though. What we are seeing here is the next iteration of the William Randolph Hearst-style news media.

Every time I see Jeff Bezos, this scene plays in my head.

Many can watch that scene and miss the dark side of what he is doing.

Last edited:
Sandmann said one of the Native American protesters yelled at them that they “stole our land” and they should “go back to Europe,” but that he never spoke to or interacted with Phillips. “To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why he had approached me.”

Teen in D.C. March Video Disputes Taunting Native Americans | Time

You seem to have (unilaterally?) decided that the tomahawk chop was jeering (racist behavior?) rather than cheering (audience participation?). The initial reporting made it appear that the student group approached (confronted?) the drumming and chanting Native Americans when the opposite was the case. It seems that two small groups of adult activists tried very hard to get a reaction from the larger group of students and succeeded - why was that not clearly stated as the "news"?
]

There was no tomahawk chop.More liberal BS.

https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1087403613754978305/video/1

Face it, you fell for the story hook line and sinker. Once a TDS'er like you saw that MAGA hat, and that they where white ( ughh) males ( double ughhh) that was all you needed to rush to judgment . Everything about that original story was BS.

#pathetic#intolerant #leftist bigot

What an incredibly stupid post, even from you.

What "story" did I fall for? What "judgment" did I rush to? If you can find a single post from me saying something negative about the boy other than he was disrespectful by not moving for an adult (something that I was taught to do) and the kids were obnoxious to do the tomahawk thing. That's it.

#idiottrumplovers #stupid

View attachment 67248514

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_chop

I never said the chop actions were racist. In fact, I said they were not racist.

Yes, making obnoxious tomahawk chop motions to an elderly Indian is "nothing wrong".

Welcome to Trump Fan Nation, where kids can be rude and disrespectful and on the hairy edge of bigoted, and nothing is wrong.

You persist in making yourself ever more ridiculous with these absurd posts. Why not keep quiet, stand still and smile? You have been provided with an excellent example.

I never said the chop actions were racist. In fact, I said they were not racist.

Your post, to which I relied, asserted that the students "make fun of Indians as they did" (many would consider that statement to depict racism) not simply that the students were having fun with Native Americans drumming and chanting present. Which statements, in the post to which I relied, indicated that the students were not racist?

You persist in making yourself ever more ridiculous with these absurd posts. Why not keep quiet, stand still and smile? You have been provided with an excellent example.

This thread is not about me.

Thanks for backing up the "kids have a right to be obnoxious" concept being passed around now. I prefer to live in the world where people had class and children were taught to respect their elders.

If you don't like my posts, I'm doing something right. Please don't ever agree with my posts. I would rather be dead than be like the Trump cultists. My parents didn't raise me to follow false prophets like a moron.

Your post, to which I relied, asserted that the students were "making fun of Indians" (many would consider that statement to depict racism) not simply that the students were having fun with Native Americans drumming and chanting present. Which statements, in the post to which I relied, indicated that the students were not racist?

And I never said it was racist. In fact, I said the opposite. I said it wasn't racist. So I have no idea why you quoted me and mentioned racism.

Making tomahawk chops at elderly Indians isn't any more fun than making slanty eyes at Asians or pretending to be Buckwheat around blacks. At least it didn't used to be. Trump apparently changed all that.

It doesn't matter to me what "many" would consider about my post. People have a tendency on here to assume and even flat out lie about what people said. My post was crystal clear to anyone who read it. I have 3 sons, and I tell them all the time to respect elders and women, and don't get caught doing something on camera that makes them look crude, ignorant or punkish, as it will stay with them forever. That was what I posted about these kids.

Please, if you want to talk about racism, then find someone who said these kids were racist. That wasn't me and I have no interest in discussing what other people said or think.

You should read the retraction in the papers. You are 100% wrong and you still don't get it.
the Kids did nothing wrong except defend themselves from a bunch of left wing thugs.

yes he has done a number on your brain been TDS'ing and still aren't since you are the only one bringing up trump.
that is the clear signs of TDS when you have to bring trump into every discussion even if he isn't involved.

Back
Top Bottom