• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawyer for Covington Catholic HS Families Threatens Lawsuits Against Media Unless They Retract False

The end of Chapter 9, "A View to a Death." Everything there but the act of violence.

And the adults, the supervision, and the threats. If all you're basing this on is that a group surrounded someone then you have failed to understand what Lord of the Flies was about.

Wait, you think that wasn't an inherently dangerous situation? You think that Phillips wasn't in imminent physical danger? Not to mention the nonstop egging on by BHI that got this whole mess started.

Let me give you a hint. I don't know how things work up there in northern Idaho, but in places such as Washington, DC, you have to be streetsmart against agitators such as those BHI men. Despite the idiotic advice that some people have offered, when you see provocateurs such as that, there's only one correct course of action: Leave them alone. The boys didn't do that. They were getting a thrill out of those idiots. And to be fair, when I watched the video, even I laughed at them a few times. But I got to do that from the safety of my residence. The boys didn't. The boys, being adolescents, did not show the proper judgment needed to get out of there before the situation got out of hand. Which it very nearly did. The chaperones with them should have made that choice for them. That is what chaperones are there to do. But they did not. That is where they failed. That safety net broke down, and we very nearly had ourselves the latest case of political violence.

Phillips was in no danger. None. Zip. Notta.

And while I live in North Idaho I have been all across this country. Both small towns that don't even make it on a map and in cities. I'm not ignorant of how things can go. There is no place in a public venue that is 100% safe. But that doesn't mean you have to hide at even the slightest disturbance. Hell, the only reason that we're hearing about this in the first place is because of MAGA hats and white religious males were at first thought to be the instigators. If it had just been the BHI and the NA's (as what happened originally) we never would have heard about this.

And the adults, the supervision, and the threats. If all you're basing this on is that a group surrounded someone then you have failed to understand what Lord of the Flies was about.

More laysplaining from you.

Phillips was in no danger. None. Zip. Notta.

Go back and watch the video again. Those boys were clearly frenzied. It would not have taken much to send them over the edge. An errant punch or thrown water bottle might have been enough. What if BHI had been the one to initiate the violence? The way one of them was talking earlier in the video, it was on their minds.

And while I live in North Idaho I have been all across this country. Both small towns that don't even make it on a map and in cities. I'm not ignorant of how things can go. There is no place in a public venue that is 100% safe. But that doesn't mean you have to hide at even the slightest disturbance. Hell, the only reason that we're hearing about this in the first place is because of MAGA hats and white religious males were at first thought to be the instigators. If it had just been the BHI and the NA's (as what happened originally) we never would have heard about this.

The NA's?

More laysplaining from you.

Laysplaining? More? :roll: 1: Think you have me confused with someone else. 2: Where in that sentence did I explain anything? Oh right...I didn't. I made two assertions. No explaining. Do you even know the meaning of the words that you come up with?

Go back and watch the video again. Those boys were clearly frenzied. It would not have taken much to send them over the edge. An errant punch or thrown water bottle might have been enough. What if BHI had been the one to initiate the violence? The way one of them was talking earlier in the video, it was on their minds.

I've watched the video's. Several different ones from different angles. I've yet to see a single one where they got angry. Much less frenzied angry. Frenzied funny (at least they thought they were being funny) maybe, but not even close to angry. They mocked the entire time. Never once threatened or even implied threats. They were a long way off from causing any sort of violence.

As for BHI...they were nothing to worry about. All bark, no bite. They weren't going to attempt to start any violence because they were severely outnumbered and they knew it. Hell, they even attempted to claim that angels were keeping the boys at length from them. I laughed at that one.

The NA's?

Native American's.

Laysplaining? More? :roll: 1: Think you have me confused with someone else. 2: Where in that sentence did I explain anything? Oh right...I didn't. I made two assertions. No explaining. Do you even know the meaning of the words that you come up with?

Do you even know the meaning of the words that you come up with?

I've watched the video's. Several different ones from different angles. I've yet to see a single one where they got angry. Much less frenzied angry. Frenzied funny (at least they thought they were being funny) maybe, but not even close to angry. They mocked the entire time. Never once threatened or even implied threats. They were a long way off from causing any sort of violence.

And there you have it. You admit that they were frenzied. Kal, I don't know the last time you've been around males that age, but when they get that pack mentality going, they can be crazy. Bad things can happen when adolescent males get frenzied. Anger from them has nothing to do with it, and your attempt to go that angle is a deflection. The bottom line is that the situation was a powder keg, and one loose action by anyone on any side could have ignited the powder keg.

So again, where were their chaperones? Being negligent, that's what. They failed to do the one job they had, and that was to keep the boys out of any potential danger. Not just actual danger--you don't ever let kids under your care get close to a dangerous situation.

As for BHI...they were nothing to worry about. All bark, no bite. They weren't going to attempt to start any violence because they were severely outnumbered and they knew it. Hell, they even attempted to claim that angels were keeping the boys at length from them. I laughed at that one.

Native American's.

It didn't have to BHI to ignite the powder keg. It could have been one of the boys. It could have been a passer-by. But that situation, with a marked lack of security or proper adult supervision, was ripe for political violence.

Your assessment that there was no risk of violence is simply ignorant. There is no other way to put it. You don't understand how adolescent males work, you don't understand how pack mentality works, you don't understand how political violence gets fueled. By extension, your view on the negligent chaperones is just as ignorant.

Doesn't stand a chance. Media reported the information they had, and even with additional information over the last few days, the kids still look bad. The more this story lives, more other media digs. They might regret it.

I think the only one who is going to regret this is Nathaniel Phillips, a "Vietnam veteran times" who during his 4 years of 'service' as a refrigeration mechanic, went AWOL 3 times. That's if the FOIA information in another thread is true.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/brea...y-labeling-nathan-phillips-vietnam-vet-3.html Post 22

Sorry I don't think you know what you are talking about in this situation.

Covington Catholic chaperone: 'Nothing the chaperones could have done differently'

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/21/cov-cath-chaperone-stands-behind-students-other-chaperones-d-c/2636426002/

Many have asked: Where were the chaperones during the confrontation between Covington Catholic High School students, Native American marchers and Black Hebrew Israelites in Washington, D.C. on Friday?

It turns out there were at least five on the scene, one of the chaperones told The Enquirer on Monday.

That chaperone, Val Andreev, stands by how they handled the situation.

"There was nothing the chaperones could have done differently," said Andreev, a Hebron-resident. "I’m very proud the way the boys handled the situation."

Andreev and his 14-year-old son joined about 20 other chaperones and 240 students from Covington Catholic last week for the March for Life rally.

They made it back home Saturday without realizing they were involved in a national controversy, Andreev said.

No one with the Covington Catholic group at the time saw it as a confrontation, Andreev said. They didn't think anything of it until the next day when social media erupted with outrage.

"If you look at any videos, there was no confrontation," Andreev told The Enquirer. "There was nothing to control. There was not any aggression."

He said another chaperone made the Covington Catholic boys move further back from the Native American protestors. He didn't hear any of the Covington Catholic students chant "build that wall." He said chaperones gave permission for the students to chant "school spirit" slogans in response to some members of the Black Israelites yelling obscenities at them.

He said another chaperone made the Covington Catholic boys move further back from the Native American protestors. He didn't hear any of the Covington Catholic students chant "build that wall." He said chaperones gave permission for the students to chant "school spirit" slogans in response to some members of the Black Israelites yelling obscenities at them.

**Gasp** that's child endangerment!!

And there you have it. You admit that they were frenzied. Kal, I don't know the last time you've been around males that age, but when they get that pack mentality going, they can be crazy. Bad things can happen when adolescent males get frenzied. Anger from them has nothing to do with it, and your attempt to go that angle is a deflection. The bottom line is that the situation was a powder keg, and one loose action by anyone on any side could have ignited the powder keg.

So again, where were their chaperones? Being negligent, that's what. They failed to do the one job they had, and that was to keep the boys out of any potential danger. Not just actual danger--you don't ever let kids under your care get close to a dangerous situation.

It didn't have to BHI to ignite the powder keg. It could have been one of the boys. It could have been a passer-by. But that situation, with a marked lack of security or proper adult supervision, was ripe for political violence.

Your assessment that there was no risk of violence is simply ignorant. There is no other way to put it. You don't understand how adolescent males work, you don't understand how pack mentality works, you don't understand how political violence gets fueled. By extension, your view on the negligent chaperones is just as ignorant.
Your post is total crap. There was no violence, no one was frenzied, it was not a powder keg. What this is is you refusing to accept the facts of reality that it was your side that caused the problem. It was liberal adults who caused the problem. It was left wing adult loons who verbally assaulted a group of children and a lying piece of crap leftist who waded in among a group of kids, got in their faces then lied about it and played the victim. Thats what happened. But because you cant be honest, you simply perpetuate the lie that these kids did something wrong. They didnt.

Should there have been more supervision of these children? Yes, to protect them from assault by liberal activists. Schools should now be put on notice that children going to the nations capital need protection from the left wing garbage that resides there.

Those kids belong in class, not some political driven protest. Guess what you snotty brats, welcome to the real world!!

I will have to do a search to see how consistent this is with Stoneman Douglas students ;)

Stop right there. You just made the same error that a bunch of people made yesterday.

That was a politically charged situation, as the video that you should have watched showed. The BHI protesters were provoking nearly everyone nearby. As the adults, it was the chaperones' duty to recognize potential dangers such as that and keep the boys away from them. But no. Not only did they not keep them out of that potentially dangerous situation, they let the boys do as they pleased, according to Sandmann's statement:

"Because we were being loudly attacked and taunted in public, a student in our group asked one of our teacher chaperones for permission to begin our school spirit chants to counter the hateful things that were being shouted at our group. The chants are commonly used at sporting events. They are all positive in nature and sound like what you would hear at any high school. Our chaperone gave us permission to use our school chants. We would not have done that without obtaining permission from the adults in charge of our group."

That is a dereliction of duty by those adults. Full stop. They should never ever be allowed to chaperone any field trip again.

Your response is so biased against the boys. Open your eyes just a bit. Where is your concern for all the hateful things that were yelled at the kids. Profanity, racist hateful garbage. And why did that happen? Because they were white males and some had the nerve to wear a MAGA hat. Since when is a school chant a problem? It's not! But it is a great way to counter vile people who verbally attacked the kids over and over. Shame, shame, shame on the MSM for pushing a big fat lie!! The kids and chaperone's did nothing wrong!
Have you watched the series of videos available on line? Or are you just pushing democratic talking points? Please take a look at them. It will help you make a more informed decision about what happened.

I would sue them anyway for slander. All the kids did was stand there and smile.

:shock: Holy dishonesty batman :lamo
talk about blatant lies . . . LMAO thats just embarrassing

I haven't come up with any. You on the other hand...A search for "laysplaining" brings up notta. Its in your own head.

Oh look at you, attempt to ignore that there is a difference between anger and attempting to be funny mocking. Isn't that cute. Anything to fit your agenda right? Any means necessary? Right?

The only danger there was is based entirely in your own mind.

Except that no violence did happen. And wasn't going to. The atmosphere wasn't right for it.

:lamo I've spent decades studying people and their reactions. So much so that I have been told I should become a psychiatrist...by psychiatrists. Yet I don't understand anything that you just said? Pshh. The fact that no violence occurred shows that I'm right while you're just grasping at straws to hold up a narrative that fits your agenda.

Doesn't sound like he's really their lawyer yet. Looks more like he's out for media attention for himself.

Honestly I think the best thing for the kids and their families is to just let this thing go and let it die a quick death, because rightly or wrongly reported, the video makes the kids look really bad.

Which video? Thats crux of the problem. You have one edited to make them look like douches then you have the video with all the context which makes it clear they are the victims. I say they need to stand their ground.

Except that no violence did happen. And wasn't going to. The atmosphere wasn't right for it.

This is the point he keeps missing. Violence wasn't going to happen because the boys were disciplined enough to not take the bait. The fact that they didn't escalate is why they had to resort to lies.

What would that have anything to do with any lawsuit against the media?

I was responding to YOUR statement "The more this story lives, more other media digs. They might regret it."

Your post is total crap. There was no violence, no one was frenzied, it was not a powder keg.

You can just stop right there with your lies.

Let me ask you something, Fletch. Would you trust chaperones to let teenage boys act however they please? Would you trust those adults' judgment ever again?

You can just stop right there with your lies.

Let me ask you something, Fletch. Would you trust chaperones to let teenage boys act however they please? Would you trust those adults' judgment ever again?

Im sorry, what lies did I tell? Oh thats right, none. And as I said in the part of the post that you didnt quote, I think any children going to the Capital from now on need security to protect them from roving bands of mindless liberal activists. And these kids did nothing wrong. You are simply deflecting upon them because you arent man enough that it was your side who were the ones behaving badly.

Im sorry, what lies did I tell? Oh thats right, none. And as I said in the part of the post that you didnt quote, I think any children going to the Capital from now on need security to protect them from roving bands of mindless liberal activists. And these kids did nothing wrong. You are simply deflecting upon them because you arent man enough that it was your side who were the ones behaving badly.

Fletch, you clearly do not have the slightest clue as to what it takes to chaperone young people. You do not understand that you have to be their eyes and ears and to steer them away from potentially dangerous situations that can arise at any time. Furthermore, you do not understand what a potentially dangerous situation is even when one is clearly presented to you. If chaperones acted with the inexperience that you have or that the Covington boys' chaperones did, then kids' getting injured or killed on field trips would be a routine news story. Maybe you don't believe that kids' lives matter?

Back
Top Bottom