• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawsuit Claims Bag Searches at Apple Stores Cost Workers $1,500 a Year In Unpaid OT

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Re: Lawsuit Claims Bag Searches at Apple Stores Cost Workers $1,500 a Year In Unpaid

If it's mandatory time spent as a condition of employment, then it should be paid time.

10 minutes a day x 2080 hours divided by 60 = 34.66 Hours x $15.75/Hour = $549.89. Not $1500.

However, they should punch out AFTER their bags have been searched. I agree with that.

Lawsuit Claims Bag Searches at Apple Stores Cost Workers $1,500 a Year In Unpai

Take away the stock options lol

Re: Lawsuit Claims Bag Searches at Apple Stores Cost Workers $1,500 a Year In Unpaid

10 minutes a day x 2080 hours divided by 60 = 34.66 Hours x $15.75/Hour = $549.89. Not $1500.

However, they should punch out AFTER their bags have been searched. I agree with that.

Your calculation has a couple of errors

if they work full time, that would be 5 days a week for a good 50 weeks (assuming 2 weeks vacation) using 10 minutes a day it would be 41.66 hours of time

The next two errors would by the hourly rate

Over a year, that adds up to as much as $1,500 in unpaid Apple time, given that the employees earned $18.75 an hour.

and not using the 1.5 modifier for overtime (or two by the looks of it in this case)

So 10 x 50 x 5 x 18.75 x 1.5 /60 = 1171.88

or if the OT pay is 2x

Your calculation has a couple of errors

if they work full time, that would be 5 days a week for a good 50 weeks (assuming 2 weeks vacation) using 10 minutes a day it would be 41.66 hours of time

The next two errors would by the hourly rate

and not using the 1.5 modifier for overtime (or two by the looks of it in this case)

So 10 x 50 x 5 x 18.75 x 1.5 /60 = 1171.88

or if the OT pay is 2x

Damn it!!!! I paid them straight time. I'm still under yours, but I've lost my credibility, so I'll skulk quietly away. ;)

I heard somewhere one of the major food processors went through this a few years ago related to not paying people for the time it took them to dress and undress from those tyvek suits and hairnets and stuff. They paid off employees who wanted to settle instead of suing them separately to prove their actual lost pay I think, but then imposed some additional rules that employees hate just as bad like staggering start times, limiting the amount of allowed time to prepare for their shifts, giving you discipline points if you clock in too early or clock out too late from a very narrow window, and otherwise get strict on things like break times etc so people will rack up points as to give them more of a reason to fire you and not pay you unemployment when they decide your time is up.

Back
Top Bottom