• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawsuit against Trump and his DC hotel is dismissed

markjs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Lawsuit against Trump and his DC hotel is dismissed

Washington (CNN)A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit that claimed President Donald Trump illegally benefits from his Washington hotel and that same hotel hurts restaurants that are also near the White House.

The lawsuit was brought forward in 2017 by Cork Wine Bar, a restaurant in Washington that said it suffered because lobbyists and other political-minded customers chose to host fundraisers, events and dinners at the Trump International Hotel rather than at its business.
But Judge Richard Leon of the DC District Court wrote in his opinion Monday that Cork couldn't claim a competitive disadvantage simply because of a public figure's fame.
"Cork does not, for example, accuse (the hotel) or President Trump of acting to dissuade potential customers from patronizing Cork or somehow obstructing entry to Cork's location," Leon wrote.
If he had ruled in the restaurant's favor, Leon wrote, "I would be foreclosing all manner of prominent people—from pop singers to celebrity chefs to professional athletes—from taking equity in the companies they promote. ... This I cannot do!"

Much as I dislike Trump, and am no fan of him cashing in, the judge was spot on here with the law. It was the right decision. That other place had a weak sauce case.:cool:

Yeah, I agree with this particular ruling.

Much as I dislike Trump, and am no fan of him cashing in, the judge was spot on here with the law. It was the right decision. That other place had a weak sauce case.:cool:
Not being too familiar with the case, on the surface it looks like a fair decision.

Now there may be an emoluments case to be made, so we'll just have to see how that angle goes.

Trump is clearly violating the emoluments clause but some random ass restaurant doesn’t really have the standing to do this.

Sounds like a fairly typical business case. But Congress may open some proceedings against Trump hotels based on the emoluments clause. That'll be bigger news.

Back
Top Bottom